2020-2021 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Emory University

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:
1. List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.

2. Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

3. Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected.

4. What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community?

5. If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.

~200 word limit for all~

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey y’all! Who else is applying?

Is the maximum amount of letters 3 or 5? MSAR says 5. The website specifies the 3 letters they want you to send. Farther down on the page they say that they strongly recommend that you don’t add additional letters. But does this mean don’t send 4 or 5 letters in total...or don’t send additional letters after you completed the secondary?

Hey y’all! Who else is applying?

Is the maximum amount of letters 3 or 5? MSAR says 5. The website specifies the 3 letters they want you to send. Farther down on the page they say that they strongly recommend that you don’t add additional letters. But does this mean don’t send 4 or 5 letters in total...or don’t send additional letters after you completed the secondary?

Hey! Fellow applicant here. In general, I would trust the website over MSAR. I’m personally submitting a committee letter, but if I were submitting individual letters I would try to stick to 3 (unless the 4th really added something unique or valuable to my candidacy that I couldn’t capture elsewhere in my app).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Fellow applicant here. In general, I would trust the website over MSAR. I’m personally submitting a committee letter, but if I were submitting individual letters I would try to stick to 3 (unless the 4th really added something unique or valuable to my candidacy that I couldn’t capture elsewhere in my app).
Yeah, I'm really conflicted, because I find that all 4 are necessary. I have my 2 science LORs. So for the 3rd it's between: (1) my non-science prof LOR who actually knows me the best, taught courses that are the most relevant to my application narrative, has ties to the school, and just in general will be the strongest letter and (2) MD/Research PI where I got a pub and presentation and the activity is the only MME of mine that will have a letter.

Yeah, I'm really conflicted, because I find that all 4 are necessary. I have my 2 science LORs. So for the 3rd it's between: (1) my non-science prof LOR who actually knows me the best, taught courses that are the most relevant to my application narrative, has ties to the school, and just in general will be the strongest letter and (2) MD/Research PI where I got a pub and presentation and the activity is the only MME of mine that will have a letter.

Have you considered not using one of your science letters? I think your MD/Research PI letter would definitely count toward “someone who is familiar with your knowledge in the sciences” (per their website requirements).

Hello! Applying here as well and in the same boat. I didn't notice that the website said they are accepting three letters. I find all 4 of my letters "necessary" too...I hope someone could clarify the requirements.

Have you considered not using one of your science letters? I think your MD/Research PI letter would definitely count toward “someone who is familiar with your knowledge in the sciences” (per their website requirements).
Unfortunately, it's not basic science research.

Hello! Applying here as well and in the same boat. I didn't notice that the website said they are accepting three letters. I find all 4 of my letters "necessary" too...I hope someone could clarify the requirements.
After going back and forth with their admissions office via phone/email I ended up submitting a letter packet (no committee letter eval offered by my UG institution) containing 5 letters in total. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary Received. Can we double count any course for their requirement (i.e. I had a writing course in anthropology- could this be used for both the English requirement and the Humanities/Social Studies requirement)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Received. Can we double count any course for their requirement (i.e. I had a writing course in anthropology- could this be used for both the English requirement and the Humanities/Social Studies requirement)?
I would think so? But maybe reach out to admissions just to be sure.

Are the prompts the same as last year?

Anyone else getting an error message when trying to submit that says "select an option under Emory School of Medicine Pipeline or Enrichment programs" even though you selected?

The only metric screen I’ve heard of is a 500 MCAT.

Yup, from their website:

For the 2020-21 Application Cycle, Emory will prescreen applicants for minimum MCAT scores.
Emory will prescreen all applicants for a minimum MCAT score of 500 with at least a 123 in each of the four subtests. Applicants with an MCAT total score of less than 500, or a subtest score of less than 123 on any of the four MCAT subtests will not receive an invitation to complete an Emory Supplemental Application.

If an applicant has more than one MCAT score, the latest score will be used to determine eligibility.

In order to receive the Emory Supplemental Application, an applicant must have taken the MCAT no more than 3 times. An applicant who has taken the MCAT 4 or more times, will not receive an Emory Supplemental Application

Anyone else getting an error message when trying to submit that says "select an option under Emory School of Medicine Pipeline or Enrichment programs" even though you selected?
Yes the same error is happening to me and won't let me submit my application

Does anyone else have this error with the:
"* Please select an option under Emory School of Medicine Pipeline or Enrichment programs"?

no secondary here either, I feel like they're sending in batches

Any update on the error message?

Can you post the prompts so that people won’t be confused?

1. List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.

2. Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

3. Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected.

4. What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community?

5. If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.

~200 word limit for all~

Reactions: 8 users
I am assuming we have to, but just to be clear, the two questions on the first page are mandatory for applying to the MD program correct?
1. Please describe your interest in public health and how you wish to combine this interest with a career in medicine (500 words or less).
2.Please describe your interest in bioethics and how you wish to combine this interest with a career in medicine (500 words or less).
It seems like it is for those interested in MD/MPH and MD/MA in bioethics, but I don't want to leave them blank and it hurt me

I am assuming we have to, but just to be clear, the two questions on the first page are mandatory for applying to the MD program correct?
1. Please describe your interest in public health and how you wish to combine this interest with a career in medicine (500 words or less).
2.Please describe your interest in bioethics and how you wish to combine this interest with a career in medicine (500 words or less).
It seems like it is for those interested in MD/MPH and MD/MA in bioethics, but I don't want to leave them blank and it hurt me
Pretty sure that if you click the MD only option, you don't have to answer either of those questions.. right?

Just received a secondary (OOS MD/PhD Applicant)

For the Humanities/Social Sciences requirement, does anyone know if we can include public health courses? Additionally, would it be okay if there's overlap between Humanities/Social Sciences and the courses we designated in the English category?

EDIT: would AP Econ (micro/macro) potentially work in the H/SS category as well?

Do you think we can treat the updates essay as a COVID essay since there seems to be none?

For the Humanities/Social Sciences requirement, does anyone know if we can include public health courses? Additionally, would it be okay if there's overlap between Humanities/Social Sciences and the courses we designated in the English category?

EDIT: would AP Econ (micro/macro) potentially work in the H/SS category as well?

I actually just emailed the Admissions Office to ask about if we can double count courses as English and Humanities/Social Sciences so I can post what they say. My backup plan is to use AP credits like you mentioned (which I think is also okay as it has been at other schools I'm applying to).

Just got my response as jdw says below no double-dipping allowed. Luckily I still have my AP credits so I’ll try using one of those for my last humanities class and hope it works!

Last edited:
I actually just emailed the Admissions Office to ask about if we can double count courses as English and Humanities/Social Sciences so I can post what they say. My backup plan is to use AP credits like you mentioned (which I think is also okay as it has been at other schools I'm applying to).

I just emailed them as well LOL, but regarding AP credit and using public health courses for that requirement. Will also update this comment with their response!

EDIT: they responded with the list of H/SS courses in their FAQ which unfortunately doesn't include public health :( However they didn't address using AP credits to fulfill this requirement. I think it should be okay though?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Just called and asked the same question, and they told me that you cannot count English courses as a humanities/social science, or in their words, “no double-dipping.” Disappointed because I won’t be able to meet their humanities requirements:(

• Sad
Are you all putting shadowing under the "health-related experiences" essay? I think it would count, but not sure if we should just stick to paid/nonpaid clinical experiences.

When they ask for curriculum plan, do we just list our courses for the next year?

So are people listing AP's to meet a requirement and checking "Yes" for meeting it? Asking bc I only took 1 general bio + lab in undergrad and a bunch of upper levels and am not sure if I can say I met the Bio requirement

Maybe a dumb question but when they say "PLEASE LIST THE COURSE NUMBER ONLY" do they mean BIL 150 or just put 150 for a bio requirement?

Okay so maybe a dumb question, but for the course work question, is it just asking about classes or also extracurriculars/research/job etc.

So are people listing AP's to meet a requirement and checking "Yes" for meeting it? Asking bc I only took 1 general bio + lab in undergrad and a bunch of upper levels and am not sure if I can say I met the Bio requirement

That's what I did because they appear on my transcript.

"Emory will accept some Advanced Placement (AP) credit, as long as the credits appear on a college transcript. If you have AP credit in any of the science areas, it is recommended that you complete an upper-level course to maintain your knowledge in that area." They'll probably look over your AMCAS app to double-check and then check for upper level courses since its only recommended, they just wanna know that you meet the requirements without them trying to pick through your transcript section of your primary, probably.

Do you think we can treat the updates essay as a COVID essay since there seems to be none?
I think that is what I will treat it as, since I am already writing my gap year plans under that specific question.

Are any of you complete yet? I submitted my secondary yesterday and received an email saying I would be complete once I hit their minimum letter requirement. The website indicates they have received my committee letter which meets their minimum so I'm a little confused.