2020-2021 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are any of you complete yet? I submitted my secondary yesterday and received an email saying I would be complete once I hit their minimum letter requirement. The website indicates they have received my committee letter which meets their minimum so I'm a little confused.
Same here, still not marked complete.

Members don't see this ad.

Are any of you complete yet? I submitted my secondary yesterday and received an email saying I would be complete once I hit their minimum letter requirement. The website indicates they have received my committee letter which meets their minimum so I'm a little confused.
I never got an email, but in the portal my status is "Complete."

Reactions: 1 user
I have everything submitted but still no complete status

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody heard about the relative utility / value of the combined MD/MPH program in comparison to dedicated, 2-year MPH programs?

I have read online that these aren't as useful as dedicated MPH programs, completed during residency, fellowship or beyond, if preparing for a career in health policy, public health research, epidemiology, etc.

Anybody have any thoughts?

I am applying to the MD/PhD program. On the secondary application, it says that letters of rec are needed from all research supervisors. I just started a research position (virtually) two months ago, so I did not ask my supervisor for a LOR. Anyone have experience with this? Is it worth asking my supervisor to write a LOR within like two days?

Any other newly grads with future plans that were demolished by COVID? Kinda tripping about the "plans for upcoming year" AND "new info to report" prompts cause I can only really talk about COVID once... Curious how anyone else still searching for meaning is handling this

Any other newly grads with future plans that were demolished by COVID? Kinda tripping about the "plans for upcoming year" AND "new info to report" prompts cause I can only really talk about COVID once... Curious how anyone else still searching for meaning is handling this
Just put what you can. That is what I did. Unemployment rate has skyrocketed and some states (like mine) are shutting down again. They will understand :)

There are definitely opportunities to fight the good fight. Reach out to your local county Dept. of Public Health. Mine locally has openings for people to serve on the contact tracing team. Could be interesting to look into.

There are definitely opportunities to fight the good fight. Reach out to your local county Dept. of Public Health. Mine locally has openings for people to serve on the contact tracing team. Could be interesting to look into.
thanks for the suggestion, I will look into that! I have a family member who is immunocompromised so trying to figure out how any of my hands-on skills can be of use virtually has been really tough

1. List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.

2. Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

3. Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected.

4. What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community?

5. If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.

~200 word limit for all~
Thanks for posting these! So glad to see they're the same as last year's haha
@TheDataKing

This is probably a stupid question, but for filling out the "Course Requirements," do we list only a certain amount of courses that fulfills the requirements (i.e. listing only two biology w/ lab courses to fulfill the 8 sem hour requirements) or do we list all applicable courses for that requirement?

A.k.a. can I just list the pre-requisite courses that I performed the best on to fulfill their requirements?

Thanks, and best of luck to all applying!

This is probably a stupid question, but for filling out the "Course Requirements," do we list only a certain amount of courses that fulfills the requirements (i.e. listing only two biology w/ lab courses to fulfill the 8 sem hour requirements) or do we list all applicable courses for that requirement?

A.k.a. can I just list the pre-requisite courses that I performed the best on to fulfill their requirements?

Thanks, and best of luck to all applying!
I just listed every single one so that there would be no doubts and then they can figure it out lol

Members don't see this ad :)
They may just not be reviewing any secondary applications yet. It's barely a week beyond the AMCAS transmission date, and 3 days beyond the date when Emory sent out 2°. May take a few days to update.

for the question about where we will be during interview season are people just simply listing the city and state? or like writing out a sentence or two

For the MD/PhD application, the two prompts are "Please list below, IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, all of your significant research projects" and then "
Please enter ALL publications in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, with the most recent publications first, using citation format."

Probably a stupid question, but for the first one would I enter oldest to newest (which is chronological order) and then newest to oldest for the second prompt (which is technically reverse chronological order) since they only state "with the most recent first" for the second prompt?

Are you all putting shadowing under the "health-related experiences" essay? I think it would count, but not sure if we should just stick to paid/nonpaid clinical experiences.
I included shadowing

Is anyone else’s status only submitted? I’ve had everything in for a while but still not complete

^Also wondering the same thing, are y'all just putting in the classes you are taking next semester?

@saykas My bad, when I posted in the thread the last comment I saw was at the bottom of the last page. My question was referring to how people are answering the prompt "List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year."

@saykas My bad, when I posted in the thread the last comment I saw was at the bottom of the last page. My question was referring to how people are answering the prompt "List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year."
No worries :)

if i volunteered w emory in highschool during one summer is that worth mentioning in the secondary? or not

Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.
I'm inclined to say to only include things you've done since graduating high school, but it wouldn't hurt to include, I guess. I also don't think it would be very beneficial. You could mention it in "Why Emory?" instead, to show you're familiar with their hospitals, if you'd like? I'm sure whatever you choose is fine.

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

Also yep. Submitted 7/16 with all letters already assigned multiple days prior and still have not received an email.
Same here. Submitted 7/15 with everything completed. Earlier I posted that I was complete because I saw I had all the green check marks on the portal, but now I'm not sure?

Same here. Submitted 7/15 with everything completed. Earlier I posted that I was complete because I saw I had all the green check marks on the portal, but now I'm not sure?
I submitted 7/16 and they marked my letters received 7/14... But nothing about being complete! Maybe they are just behind with the pandemic.

Not complete either - submitted secondary 7/16 with committee letter in.

Im in a slight conundrum- I did both AP and IB in high school so I got a bunch of credits. I wanted to use my AP chem credit to meet the chem course requirement, but it seems AMCAS marked my AP credit as exempt and the IB credit as the actual. Given Emory's policy of not accepting IB, but accepting AP, how would Emory go about it? Would they see that I have both AP and IB credits and choose to accept the AP credit even though it was marked as exempt by AMCAS?

Im in a slight conundrum- I did both AP and IB in high school so I got a bunch of credits. I wanted to use my AP chem credit to meet the chem course requirement, but it seems AMCAS marked my AP credit as exempt and the IB credit as the actual. Given Emory's policy of not accepting IB, but accepting AP, how would Emory go about it? Would they see that I have both AP and IB credits and choose to accept the AP credit even though it was marked as exempt by AMCAS?
They likely won't take your AP credit if your university did not award it to you. But this could be covered if you've taken higher level chemistry classes I'm sure. You should reach out to admissions.

what does everyone think about using the "any updates" box to talk about being impacted by COVID?

They likely won't take your AP credit if your university did not award it to you. But this could be covered if you've taken higher level chemistry classes I'm sure. You should reach out to admissions.
No, my university accepted both the IB and AP credits, but when AMCAS does its verification process, since it appears to be a repeat course between IB and AP, I'm guessing it just randomly chose one or the other, in my case, it chose to count the IB version of the credit rather than the AP version. Both credits are still listed, but I am worried that ad com will see the IB credit and miss that there is an AP credit for it as well.

No, my university accepted both the IB and AP credits, but when AMCAS does its verification process, since it appears to be a repeat course between IB and AP, I'm guessing it just randomly chose one or the other, in my case, it chose to count the IB version of the credit rather than the AP version. Both credits are still listed, but I am worried that ad com will see the IB credit and miss that there is an AP credit for it as well.
Does it say "Exempt" or does it award you credit? If it says Exempt, the schools will likely not accept it, because then it looks like your school did not award you credit.

For the health-related experiences, are you writing in depth about a clinical experience or are you listing all of your health-related experiences with a sentence or two description?

Complete email just now. Submitted 7/15.

Anyone know what they're looking for with the what do you consider the role of the physician prompt?