2020-2021 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
was looking through some old threads and saw Emory doesn’t usually send II until early September/late August. It seems odd given the wording of their complete email “If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted immediately.” Anyone think they’ll be starting interviews earlier since they are all virtual?

Members don't see this ad.

was looking through some old threads and saw Emory doesn’t usually send II until early September/late August. It seems odd given the wording of their complete email “If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted immediately.” Anyone think they’ll be starting interviews earlier since they are all virtual?
I thought the same thing! I wonder if immediately means in the next few day or what...

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the same thing! I wonder if immediately means in the next few day or what...
Definitely interesting! I wonder how they stratify applications for review. If it's chronological, the earliest submitters would likely hear back within the next few weeks.

For the health-related experiences, are you writing in depth about a clinical experience or are you listing all of your health-related experiences with a sentence or two description?
Yeah, they want brief so maybe like a sentence or two on what you did superficially should suffice. Probably just want to see that you have experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Should I put down health education tutoring? Or like health research in non-clinical settings? It's throwing me off because they are saying "health-related experiences" instead of "clinical experiences"

Should I put down health education tutoring? Or like health research in non-clinical settings? It's throwing me off because they are saying "health-related experiences" instead of "clinical experiences"
I'd certainly include health research in non-clinical settings, since your work focuses on health. I'm less sure about health education tutoring, which seems like more of a stretch.

I put both in mine because they said health instead of clinical.

yeah it seems pretty broad, so i think you could use both tbh

"Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences."

I always try to "show, not tell" and for every sentence where I write what I did, I try to explain what I learned. But this prompt sounds like they literally just want me to list my health related experiences...would you guys stick to only writing this as factual information (e.g. freshman year I volunteered at x, sophomore year I worked as a scribe, etc) or elaborate on your interests in health, patient populations, what you learned from the experiences, etc.?

I'm having trouble discerning what they want from me

I think that is what I will treat it as, since I am already writing my gap year plans under that specific question.
Are you writing your plans pretty straight forward or elaborating on the 'why'. I feel like I will be waaay under the character count but I dont really see a need to describe in-depth my plans.

"Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences."

I always try to "show, not tell" and for every sentence where I write what I did, I try to explain what I learned. But this prompt sounds like they literally just want me to list my health related experiences...would you guys stick to only writing this as factual information (e.g. freshman year I volunteered at x, sophomore year I worked as a scribe, etc) or elaborate on your interests in health, patient populations, what you learned from the experiences, etc.?

I'm having trouble discerning what they want from me
I followed advice from this site: How to Get Into Emory Medical School: Requirements and Strategies — Shemmassian Academic Consulting

They said to like make a narrative and reflect a little

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
so if I don't meet the humanities requirement I probably shouldn't apply right...? :(

so if I don't meet the humanities requirement I probably shouldn't apply right...? :(

Seems like you can put a rationale in for why you did not meet the requirements. If you have like no humanities or are way off it might not be worth it to apply given the secondary is pricey.

OOS, Submitted on 7/30 and got the complete email right after.

Hopefully I submitted early enough to have a good fighting chance!

That's what I wanted to do, but given the character limit....HOW? Lol. Oh well, hopefully being descriptive won't sink my application. I think I'm a pretty solid potential candidate otherwise, so maybe it won't matter too much.
I'm with you on this one. I made a list and included a one-sentence summary of what I saw/learned. I had like 8 experiences on my list...there's literally barely enough room for me to list them, let alone write a narrative. I'm not too concerned, since the rest of my secondary, my work/activities, and PS are all very narrative.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm with you on this one. I made a list and included a one-sentence summary of what I saw/learned. I had like 8 experiences on my list...there's literally barely enough room for me to list them, let alone write a narrative. I'm not too concerned, since the rest of my secondary, my work/activities, and PS are all very narrative.
I think it's fine. They are asking for every single experience, so for folks who have many experiences, you really don't have a choice. For work/activities and PS, I think narrative is okay as long as it is reflective as well. work/activities need to in some way demonstrate what you got from the experience, and PS just needs to demonstrate why you want to go to medical school. I'm sure you're fine!

That's what I wanted to do, but given the character limit....HOW? Lol. Oh well, hopefully being descriptive won't sink my application. I think I'm a pretty solid potential candidate otherwise, so maybe it won't matter too much.

I was just pretty straight to the point and described what I did. I got the impression this prompt just wants easy access to portions of your amcas application so they don’t have to comb through it.

1.) So for the experiences prmopt, I simply listed them out. (in case anyone wanted another opinion)
2.) For the any updates or new information prompt, how are you guys going about it since we literally just submitted the primary and theres already a "why us" essay so you can't even really use it for that.

1.) So for the experiences prmopt, I simply listed them out. (in case anyone wanted another opinion)
2.) For the any updates or new information prompt, how are you guys going about it since we literally just submitted the primary and theres already a "why us" essay so you can't even really use it for that.
I submitted my primary May 28, and in the last month some of my hours changed (some activities ended unexpectedly, so I doubled up hours on others), so that's what I mentioned really briefly.

I'm leaving the updates/new information prompt blank.

I also left the updates/new info blank. On my AMCAs, I wrote that my paper was accepted for publication. The online (ahead of print) publication was made available recently, but I decided to just save that for when the print pub is out for any LOIs I may send.

Maybe a dumb question but when they say "PLEASE LIST THE COURSE NUMBER ONLY" do they mean BIL 150 or just put 150 for a bio requirement?
I sense that you are a fellow UM student. I put mine like this: BIL 150/151/160/161/255

I sense that you are a fellow UM student. I put mine like this: BIL 150/151/160/161/255

Ahhh I may have been back in the day... I think I added the course name and the number if I recall. I called them and I believe that's what they said to do.

Are the semester hours based on those assigned by AMCAS? How many classes generally fulfill 18 semester hours?

Are the semester hours based on those assigned by AMCAS? How many classes generally fulfill 18 semester hours?
Semester hours = credits

So, yes the ones assigned on AMCAS. I used six 3-credit courses for the humanities requirement.

Last edited:
Hi all, OOS applicant here. So Emory is in Atlanta, but on MSAR it states the location as "suburban"? Can any student or applicant who has visited the school provide some clarity on why that is? How urban/suburban is the campus? I'm writing about the location as part of my "why our school" essay and don't wanna sound dumb lol.

I went to the University of Richmond (VA) as an undergrad, and the campus definitely had a suburban feel. But downtown Richmond was like a 10 min drive, so it was easy access to a more urban environment. Does this sound similar to the Emory vibe?

Hi all, OOS applicant here. So Emory is in Atlanta, but on MSAR it states the location as "suburban"? Can any student or applicant who has visited the school provide some clarity on why that is? How urban/suburban is the campus? I'm writing about the location as part of my "why our school" essay and don't wanna sound dumb lol.

I went to the University of Richmond (VA) as an undergrad, and the campus definitely had a suburban feel. But downtown Richmond was like a 10 min drive, so it was easy access to a more urban environment. Does this sound similar to the Emory vibe?

Hey I did my undergrad research at Emory SOM. The campus and surrounding area definitely leans more towards suburban. Downtown Atlanta/midtown is about 20 minutes away from campus so it's decently far away from the hustle and bustle of the city. There are really no skyscrapers/tall buildings nearby. The surrounding neighborhoods are very nice, like where you would want to raise a family. The campus buildings are beautiful. You will probably want a car to commute and buy groceries and whatnot.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey I did my undergrad research at Emory SOM. The campus and surrounding area definitely leans more towards suburban. Downtown Atlanta/midtown is about 20 minutes away from campus so it's decently far away from the hustle and bustle of the city. There are really no skyscrapers/tall buildings nearby. The surrounding neighborhoods are very nice, like where you would want to raise a family. The campus buildings are beautiful. You will probably want a car to commute and buy groceries and whatnot.
I see, thank you!

Anyone know what they're looking for with the what do you consider the role of the physician prompt?
Bump, I'm a bit stuck on this one too. I assume they're not looking for just a job description. :p

Bump, I'm a bit stuck on this one too. I assume they're not looking for just a job description. :p
I think it's important to note that the question asks about the physician's role in the community, i.e., how do you believe physicians impact/serve their communities?

Reactions: 2 users
Do all of the questions need to be answered? Specifically asking for the one about whether we have additional information to report

what's with their ultra-specific photo requirements?? i'm stuck submitting a cropped pic where i'm in professional attire but theres a conference logo in the background...will they care?

what's with their ultra-specific photo requirements?? i'm stuck submitting a cropped pic where i'm in professional attire but theres a conference logo in the background...will they care?
Why don't you just photoshop the logo out of the pic?

what's with their ultra-specific photo requirements?? i'm stuck submitting a cropped pic where i'm in professional attire but there's a conference logo in the background...will they care?

Stand against a white or plain wall in your house. Doesn't even need pants hahahaha. Since they specifically said they want a plain background, I would just avoid going against that on something as straightforward as a picture.

I am interested in applying to Emory, but I have a problem regarding the 8 credit organic chemistry requirement. I actually took a 4 credit accelerated course along with a 2 credit lab, and so I only have 6 credits in total. I also took biochemistry and loads of Pchem lol. I feel that I definitely have a strong command of orgo and I scored very well on the C/P section of the MCAT. Do you guys think I should bother reaching out about this and applying? The website says:

" Exceptions to the course requirements can only be granted by the Admissions Committee and will be determined only when a complete application is submitted."

But I prefer not to waste money if I'd realistically get weeded out. Any advice/opinions? Thanks in advance.

I am interested in applying to Emory, but I have a problem regarding the 8 credit organic chemistry requirement. I actually took a 4 credit accelerated course along with a 2 credit lab, and so I only have 6 credits in total. I also took biochemistry and loads of Pchem lol. I feel that I definitely have a strong command of orgo and I scored very well on the C/P section of the MCAT. Do you guys think I should bother reaching out about this and applying? The website says:

" Exceptions to the course requirements can only be granted by the Admissions Committee and will be determined only when a complete application is submitted."

But I prefer not to waste money if I'd realistically get weeded out. Any advice/opinions? Thanks in advance.
They are flexible with these requirements. Sounds like your Pchem would suffice. Just email them and ask.

They are flexible with these requirements. Sounds like your Pchem would suffice. Just email them and ask.
I emailed them and they responded already! Basically they said that there's no definitive answer and that it's up to the discretion of the committee. Either way, the decision can only be made when a complete application is submitted. They also emphasized that "exceptions are made, but they are rare and made for individuals with very high grades or who demonstrate an exceptional aptitude in the sciences in other areas (strong MCAT scores, published research, etc.)."

I think I'm gonna shoot my shot, since I have a strong MCAT and extensive chemistry and engineering courses on my transcript as a ChemE.

How brief are we being when describing plans for the upcoming year? I'll be entering the second year of my gap yr job so was literally thinking of stating that, spending time with family, and volunteering. 59/200 words used makes me uncomfy but it also says "briefly describe" so

How brief are we being when describing plans for the upcoming year? I'll be entering the second year of my gap yr job so was literally thinking of stating that, spending time with family, and volunteering. 59/200 words used makes me uncomfy but it also says "briefly describe" so

Hey I’m sure your response is great! I used this “secondary guide” when writing my secondaries:

You’ve probably already seen this, but it gives some good tips for writing about gap years. Anyways, best of luck!

Hey I’m sure your response is great! I used this “secondary guide” when writing my secondaries:

You’ve probably already seen this, but it gives some good tips for writing about gap years. Anyways, best of luck!

Appreciate this!! You too :)

Anyone know when II's will start being sent out?