2020-2021 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When is GWs CTE date?
July 14th according to their site (for those not in pre matriculation)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's probably "full" at this moment, but GW probably expects some movement once CTE date approaches. Also, Gtown already sent out an email to WL applicants saying that their class is most likely full and the school does not expect much movement from now on. So we are in better position, but not very ideal
hello everyone, update: the director of admissions says that "alternate pool is open and active. we expect the majority of movement to happen throughout may."
Maybe I'm just delusional at this point and in denial, but I feel like these are incompatible with each other. If the majority of movement is to happen throughout May, why would the class now be full and the movement wouldn't really resume until later in July?

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe I'm just delusional at this point and in denial, but I feel like these are incompatible with each other. If the majority of movement is to happen throughout May, why would the class now be full and the movement wouldn't really resume until later in July?
No schools would want an empty spot at this point. If a spot gets created for whatever reason, they will pull someone from the WL. That’s why I said it’s probably full at this point, not because there wouldn’t be movement but because it’s mid May.

My assumption for movement around CTE is date is because GW did not email us saying that the movement has officially slowed down. Both Gtown and GW usually have great movements as they are private and expensive. Gtown already sent out the email, but GW didn’t. So we can somewhat assume that GW has a reason to keep the WL pool active for now. However, we don’t know if the movement is gonna happen tomorrow, june or july. I said CTE date because that’s usually considered pretty late to be accepted off WL, so I mentioned it as sort of ‘last-ish date to be considered,’ but I now realize my wording was a bit misleading (I know there are people who get accepted a day before orientation but that’s not too common I hope), but it’s all speculation.

Truth is, GW is either having way less movement this year or SDN is grossly under represented for this cycle. However, they do have healthy movement in May normally, which is probably why Kevin Nies said that he still expects bunch of movement, but they of course cannot guarantee anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve lost hope lol. Gonna finally begin my reapp I guess...

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone had contact with admissions by email or phone recently? I’m just wondering wth is going on 🥲

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone had contact with admissions by email or phone recently? I’m just wondering wth is going on 🥲
I called them two different times last week but it rang and went to voicemail which made me think they’re not in the office in person but idk for sure

I called them two different times last week but it rang and went to voicemail which made me think they’re not in the office in person but idk for sure
I also called twice over the past two weeks, went to voicemail.
That is so strange they aren’t answering calls 😅 ive talked with several people who are waiting on an email response for weeks too.

• Sad
Well here goes another week of silence here...

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
It's probably "full" at this moment, but GW probably expects some movement once CTE date approaches. Also, Gtown already sent out an email to WL applicants saying that their class is most likely full and the school does not expect much movement from now on. So we are in better position, but not very idealSorr
It's probably "full" at this moment, but GW probably expects some movement once CTE date approaches. Also, Gtown already sent out an email to WL applicants saying that their class is most likely full and the school does not expect much movement from now on. So we are in better position, but not very ideal
Sorry could someone please explain what the CTE date is and when it is? I thought that GW typically has a lot of waitlist movement so it's really surprising to hear that the class is already full.

CTE is when you commit 100% to the school. GW requires the committment by July, but accepted people are free to commit after 4/30.
Also, schools try their best to keep their class full after 4/30. If someone leaves, they pull someone from the WL to fill in that spot, that’s the entire point of having WL in admissions. So it’s not weird to say that GW has a full class at the moment

Members don't see this ad :)
CTE is when you commit 100% to the school. GW requires the committment by July, but accepted people are free to commit after 4/30.
Also, schools try their best to keep their class full after 4/30. If someone leaves, they pull someone from the WL to fill in that spot, that’s the entire point of having WL in admissions. So it’s not weird to say that GW has a full class at the moment
Makes sense, thank you!

None yet. I called twice, no answer. Sent an email and no response. No clue what’s going on.
This is so bizarre 🥲 I at first thought maybe they were out of office but it’s been weeks of ghosting now

• Hmm
This is so bizarre 🥲 I at first thought maybe they were out of office but it’s been weeks of ghosting now
I heard back today, movement will be "slow and intermittent at this time and will likely remain so". Looking to remain hopeful while still understanding realistic outcomes.

• Sad
I heard back today, movement will be "slow and intermittent at this time and will likely remain so". Looking to remain hopeful while still understanding realistic outcomes.
Expected answer 🥲 eeeerrrgh

How is the GW fin aid? Any low-income accepted students that can speak to this? Are there ample scholarships? Majority loans?

It’s honestly insane that waitlist movement has been very minimal this year - it’s hard to hear that when this school is known to take a ton of students from this list 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
It’s honestly insane that waitlist movement has been very minimal this year - it’s hard to hear that when this school is known to take a ton of students from this list 😢
Either minimal or they used a different approach and front-loaded acceptances. Still rough to see.

• Sad
How is the GW fin aid? Any low-income accepted students that can speak to this? Are there ample scholarships? Majority loans?
I know there’s not much info out there, I was also looking for this before I got my fin aid package but didn’t find anything. I cant speak for others but I can tell you what my breakdown is, send me a dm

Dang, that's sad to hear. Does this mean that the majority of the waitlist movement already happened, or that they just didn't have like any waitlist movement this year? B/c I haven't seen any posts about people getting off of this waitlist, even people who got the likely letter.

Dang, that's sad to hear. Does this mean that the majority of the waitlist movement already happened, or that they just didn't have like any waitlist movement this year? B/c I haven't seen any posts about people getting off of this waitlist, even people who got the likely letter.
It seems like there was less movement overall but within the movement, the majority happened. So both of your assumptions are true in somewhat way

hello everyone, update: the director of admissions says that "alternate pool is open and active. we expect the majority of movement to happen throughout may."
I understand that this was just an educated guess from Kevin Nies, but it's frustrating how much hope this statement from him gave me about May. And yet there were 0 (zero) reported WL acceptances in the time from this statement, to yesterday's "slow and intermittent WL movement" development. I can't help but wonder what changed from Kevin thinking majority of movement would happen throughout May to now.

Was very optimistic after all the movement on Apr 20 (& a little on May 3)

I understand that this was just an educated guess from Kevin Nies, but it's frustrating how much hope this statement from him gave me about May. And yet there were 0 (zero) reported WL acceptances in the time from this statement, to yesterday's "slow and intermittent WL movement" development. I can't help but wonder what changed from Kevin thinking majority of movement would happen throughout May to now.

Was very optimistic after all the movement on Apr 20 (& a little on May 3)
hey, i feel you and it is indeed upsetting since many of us expected a decent movement from GW. One thing that I always try to remind myself is that SDN is not representative. Although I believe that there was less movement overall for GW, it might be true that additional movement happened outside of SDN. we will just never get to know :/ It seems like you have 2 As though, that's great. I am facing a reapp, so you are in much better situation than I am :)

I wish they’d send us on the WL an update. Especially having received the “likely to be accepted” email I’m feeling so confused and dissapointed ): I, like many others, have had all my efforts to communicate with admissions be ignored. I looked through the past 5 years (lol) of GW threads and every single person who received those emails received an acceptance. So, I figured my chances of receiving an A were probably fairly high. I realllly got my hopes up and now just feel crushed. This cycle was not fun 😥

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I wish they’d send us on the WL an update. Especially having received the “likely to be accepted” email I’m feeling so confused and dissapointed ): I, like many others, have had all my efforts to communicate with admissions be ignored. I looked through the past 5 years (lol) of GW threads and every single person who received those emails received an acceptance. So, I figured my chances of receiving an A were probably fairly high. I realllly got my hopes up and now just feel crushed. This cycle was not fun 😥
feel the same way.. Did they all get the A right away? Or did any come later in the cycle???

feel the same way.. Did they all get the A right away? Or did any come later in the cycle???
In most cases, they all got it within a few days after the email. I think GW may have done it differently this year when they sent all the emails in a big group at the beginning of the WL period. From previous threads it seemed they sent the email more sporadically throughout May and a few in June-July.

I’m thinking/speculating that GW must have sent too many of those email too early and then had less movement than they anticipated 🥲

In most cases, they all got it within a few days after the email. I think GW may have done it differently this year when they sent all the emails in a big group at the beginning of the WL period. From previous threads it seemed they sent the email more sporadically throughout May and a few in June-July.

I’m thinking/speculating that GW must have sent too many of those email too early and then had less movement than they anticipated 🥲
Sadly I think you're right... which has to be why they're ignoring almost everyone b/c they know they messed up 😢

Is it dumb of me to try to be hopeful if their CTE date isn’t until July 7?!
I don’t think it’s dumb of you! I really don’t know much at all about how many spots usually open around the CTE date. All I can say is from looking at previous threads, there seemed to be very few acceptances in July. (Also not sure if the CTE date has been earlier in the past)

I don’t think it’s dumb of you! I really don’t know much at all about how many spots usually open around the CTE date. All I can say is from looking at previous threads, there seemed to be very few acceptances in July. (Also not sure if the CTE date has been earlier in the past)
Were you able to see if their were any in June or were they all mostly may? Thanks for all the digging u did 😊

I just got accepted this past week so there’s definitely hope for everyone. Rooting for you guys!

Reactions: 7 users
Can anyone who has been accepted speak on whether or not GW is sending out emails to gauge applicants who haven't fully committed yet?

i also got off the WL! i got the likely to be accepted email end of April, heard nothing, sent an LOI over the weekend, then got the A earlier this week.

I'm a little confused why they essentially decided to have a high priority waitlist with this email and not call it that, but looks like waitlist movement in general wasn't that big this year. I'm going to assume people who didn't get the email are out of the running at this point (and possibly the whole time) unless someone else can attest otherwise.

i also got off the WL! i got the likely to be accepted email end of April, heard nothing, sent an LOI over the weekend, then got the A earlier this week.
Congrats! Was that your first letter of interest to GW, or did you send one previously as well? Also, was it a letter of interest or intent?

Congrats! Was that your first letter of interest to GW, or did you send one previously as well? Also, was it a letter of interest or intent?
I sent a letter of intent after asking waitlisters to write about their interest in ~March. Then I sent another one last weekend before the A!

Has anyone received any emails from admissions lately about WL movement?