You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Georgetown
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
NOOOO!!! My FACTS and LOGIC!!!!!!
Huge congrats, all!
Huge congrats, all!
On a Sunday?! That’s awesome! Congrats!OMG!!!! I finally got the A call too. Interviewed 11/10. Also not SMP LMAO...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am replying en-mass to all those who sent DM to me -
Not a single SMP and GEMS student at GUSOM has even been interviewed as of now, so nobody from SMP & GEMS is on WL yet. They are explicitly told to hold off sending secondaries, they are in a different pool of applicants. Keep in mind - last year new "traffic rules" were introduced by AAMC, all med schools have to follow them. Educate yourself on these traffic rules, specifically - all admitted students can mark one school as "Plan to attend". If you get admitted to multiple medical schools, you can change your one "Plan to attend" school, every hour, every second, everyday - until April 30. April 30 is a significant date for ALL students to lock their selection from "Plan to Attend" to "Will attend". So now, you do the math. If you are an adcom and you have to fill an incoming class, what would you do? You will first dip into non-SMP pool and then dip into SMP and GEMS pool next (which as I mentioned above is deliberately and explicitly kept separate). Grades for SMP are still coming in. And April 30 applies to SMP and GEMs students too. GUSOM, BU and others that have SMP programs, filled their non-SMP class first, establish a baseline (based on daily report on count of "Plan to attends" at their university), then fill SMP/GEMS (BU only has SMP). Only a fixed number of students are eventually selected from SMP/GEMS pool. And after that (or simultaneously) WL from non-SMP is processed - until April 30. Musical chair stops on April 30, a few leftovers will be processed (typically less than 10) after May 1. This is exactly what happened last year - GUSOM sent bulk of admissions before March 1, then very little non-SMP WL movement till after April 30.
Sooo. Anyone reading this thread have to decide - whether to believe the QAnon crowd who floats theories about how adcoms take a break during October/November presidential election weeks or whether adcoms follow AAMC traffic rules. Sure, they work on Sundays in March, but not during Presidential election weeks in October/November. Gimme a break!
This will be my last post - because I am already in, I am already locked in and it is not GUSOM. No point rolling in mud with shamans.
Good Luck to all.
Not a single SMP and GEMS student at GUSOM has even been interviewed as of now, so nobody from SMP & GEMS is on WL yet. They are explicitly told to hold off sending secondaries, they are in a different pool of applicants. Keep in mind - last year new "traffic rules" were introduced by AAMC, all med schools have to follow them. Educate yourself on these traffic rules, specifically - all admitted students can mark one school as "Plan to attend". If you get admitted to multiple medical schools, you can change your one "Plan to attend" school, every hour, every second, everyday - until April 30. April 30 is a significant date for ALL students to lock their selection from "Plan to Attend" to "Will attend". So now, you do the math. If you are an adcom and you have to fill an incoming class, what would you do? You will first dip into non-SMP pool and then dip into SMP and GEMS pool next (which as I mentioned above is deliberately and explicitly kept separate). Grades for SMP are still coming in. And April 30 applies to SMP and GEMs students too. GUSOM, BU and others that have SMP programs, filled their non-SMP class first, establish a baseline (based on daily report on count of "Plan to attends" at their university), then fill SMP/GEMS (BU only has SMP). Only a fixed number of students are eventually selected from SMP/GEMS pool. And after that (or simultaneously) WL from non-SMP is processed - until April 30. Musical chair stops on April 30, a few leftovers will be processed (typically less than 10) after May 1. This is exactly what happened last year - GUSOM sent bulk of admissions before March 1, then very little non-SMP WL movement till after April 30.
Sooo. Anyone reading this thread have to decide - whether to believe the QAnon crowd who floats theories about how adcoms take a break during October/November presidential election weeks or whether adcoms follow AAMC traffic rules. Sure, they work on Sundays in March, but not during Presidential election weeks in October/November. Gimme a break!
This will be my last post - because I am already in, I am already locked in and it is not GUSOM. No point rolling in mud with shamans.
Good Luck to all.
A call earlier today too, not SMP or GEMS, interviewed in December
1. New traffic guidance was implemented in 2018-2019 cycle, not last yearI am replying en-mass to all those who sent DM to me -
Not a single SMP and GEMS student at GUSOM has even been interviewed as of now, so nobody from SMP & GEMS is on WL yet. They are explicitly told to hold off sending secondaries, they are in a different pool of applicants. Keep in mind - last year new "traffic rules" were introduced by AAMC, all med schools have to follow them. Educate yourself on these traffic rules, specifically - all admitted students can mark one school as "Plan to attend". If you get admitted to multiple medical schools, you can change your one "Plan to attend" school, every hour, every second, everyday - until April 30. April 30 is a significant date for ALL students to lock their selection from "Plan to Attend" to "Will attend". So now, you do the math. If you are an adcom and you have to fill an incoming class, what would you do? You will first dip into non-SMP pool and then dip into SMP and GEMS pool next (which as I mentioned above is deliberately and explicitly kept separate). Grades for SMP are still coming in. And April 30 applies to SMP and GEMs students too. GUSOM, BU and others that have SMP programs, filled their non-SMP class first, establish a baseline (based on daily report on count of "Plan to attends" at their university), then fill SMP/GEMS (BU only has SMP). Only a fixed number of students are eventually selected from SMP/GEMS pool. And after that (or simultaneously) WL from non-SMP is processed - until April 30. Musical chair stops on April 30, a few leftovers will be processed (typically less than 10) after May 1. This is exactly what happened last year - GUSOM sent bulk of admissions before March 1, then very little non-SMP WL movement till after April 30.
Sooo. Anyone reading this thread have to decide - whether to believe the QAnon crowd who floats theories about how adcoms take a break during October/November presidential election weeks or whether adcoms follow AAMC traffic rules. Sure, they work on Sundays in March, but not during Presidential election weeks in October/November. Gimme a break!
This will be my last post - because I am already in, I am already locked in and it is not GUSOM. No point rolling in mud with shamans.
Good Luck to all.
2. April 30 is when students holding 3 acceptances are recommended to select down to one acceptance and select "Plan to Enroll" for that corresponding offer (note: this is only guidance offered by AAMC and is not strictly enforced, unfortunately).
3. Each school has their own unique Commit to Enroll deadline - this is where applicants must commit to their intended school. I believe Georegtown's is mid-June.
4. GUSM explicitly states that every interviewee has a chance at acceptance no matter when they interview in the application cycle. As we've seen from posters above, this year's class is not full and there's already been some WL movement.
5. Last year's thread shows a fair amount of non-SMP movement from May 1 - May 10. Keep in mind that SDN represents only a fraction of the entire applicant community.
somethingofarabbit
New Member
A! Interviewed 12/1. Got the call early Sunday morning and was finally able to check my voicemail (included an apology for calling so early- "I forgot the time difference to CA" lol)
wegotthis20201234
Full Member
Any January interviewees heard back?!
Mr. T-cell
Full Member
Not yet. I interviewed 1/8. I believe they just started getting back to people in December, so we still have a wait ahead of us probably.Any January interviewees heard back?!
I think they’re much further behind than they were last year. That said, if dec/nov interviewees last year heard back the first week of March then that would make me hopefulSo as per last cycle's GU thread people who interviewed in mid January 2020 started hearing back the week of March 13th 2020. Do we think us January interviewees will hear back at the end of this week or next week? Or do y'all think it will be much later?
Oof, it looks like from last cycle's thread that Nov/Dec interviewees heard back in late Jan/early Feb 2020. At this rate I'm not going to hear back until late April lolI think they’re much further behind than they were last year. That said, if dec/nov interviewees last year heard back the first week of March then that would make me hopeful
for those that were accepted, did you already receive your financial aid info?
JAK/No stat
Full Member
Any current Georgetown students I can PM?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haven’t heard anythingfor those that were accepted, did you already receive your financial aid info?
Nah, I've got nuffin.for those that were accepted, did you already receive your financial aid info?
mittenz4blood
Full Member
I contacted the Financial Office and they said that once they receive all of your paperwork (FAFSA, Georgetown Financial Aid doc, and credit history check) then it will be ~ 1 month to receive aid info. It sounded like this timer began March 1st, which was the deadline for everything, so I'm hoping we'll hear back at the end of March of we were complete by then.for those that were accepted, did you already receive your financial aid info?
mittenz4blood
Full Member
Also, I'm unsure what this means for people accepted after March 1st; might be best to email and ask?I contacted the Financial Office and they said that once they receive all of your paperwork (FAFSA, Georgetown Financial Aid doc, and credit history check) then it will be ~ 1 month to receive aid info. It sounded like this timer began March 1st, which was the deadline for everything, so I'm hoping we'll hear back at the end of March of we were complete by then.
I think the deadline was March 1 even if you are waiting for a decision/WL. Couldn't hurt to confirm though.Also, I'm unsure what this means for people accepted after March 1st; might be best to email and ask?
wegotthis20201234
Full Member
do you guys think the last group of interviewees from January will get an A/WL/R decision before April 30th or could it go past that?
I don't think they would go that late into the cycle. I think AAMC requires decisions to be given for interviewees well before this time per the AMCAS timeline.do you guys think the last group of interviewees from January will get an A/WL/R decision before April 30th or could it go past that?
Just two weeks ago, I believe they got through Nov, and most (if not all) of Dec, and they seem to be working a lot more throughout the week to send out the decisions. I believe that the next decision wave might be either beginning of April or before then.
One thing I'm not sure about is how they are going about taking people off the WL if they are still making decisions on interviewees. It seemed that a lot of students went onto the WL by November (and I know not all the students are on SDN but I haven't seen many post-II acceptances on this thread after October) -- but there have been a few recent interviewees who were accepted it seems, hence my question.
wegotthis20201234
Full Member
I found some info thru this link but I'm not sure what to make of it: Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers.I don't think they would go that late into the cycle. I think AAMC requires decisions to be given for interviewees well before this time per the AMCAS timeline.
Just two weeks ago, I believe they got through Nov, and most (if not all) of Dec, and they seem to be working a lot more throughout the week to send out the decisions. I believe that the next decision wave might be either beginning of April or before then.
One thing I'm not sure about is how they are going about taking people off the WL if they are still making decisions on interviewees. It seemed that a lot of students went onto the WL by November (and I know not all the students are on SDN but I haven't seen many post-II acceptances on this thread after October) -- but there have been a few recent interviewees who were accepted it seems, hence my question.
Hmm I'm not sure either. I still think those who interviewed in January will hear back sooner but it might just be wishful thinking.I found some info thru this link but I'm not sure what to make of it: Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers.
Last year's thread had the January interviewees know by mid-March and the December interviewees by mid-February; so I'm thinking since the December interviewees this cycle found out a few weeks ago (early March) then that might mean January interviewees will hear back by early April.
I don't actually understand how the traffic rules work but at least for the WL it seems pretty clear.
D
deleted1041819
Accepted MD/PhD. 🙂
Patienceiskey
New Member
You can but it seems like they advise against it.Can we submit additional letters of recommendation if we are on the WL?
Attachments
When does WL movement typically occur for Georgetown? I’ve been waitlisted since December and sent a letter but haven’t heard anything yet.
WL Movement for Georgetown already started a few weeks ago! There were a handful of people who interviewed in September (and were subsequently waitlisted) who got As off the WL at the end of February (I believe ~Feb 22 if my memory is correct, you can scroll back a little on this thread to find it).When does WL movement typically occur for Georgetown? I’ve been waitlisted since December and sent a letter but haven’t heard anything yet.
Someone said that from previous years, it seems like WL movement starts in February, and then there is a small wave 1x per month until everything is finalized (they've sent out all their inital As), and then it is more frequent. My guess/hope is that there will be another A wave off the WL in the next week or two.
Haha I hope you're right. More WL movement this month would be great.WL Movement for Georgetown already started a few weeks ago! There were a handful of people who interviewed in September (and were subsequently waitlisted) who got As off the WL at the end of February (I believe ~Feb 22 if my memory is correct, you can scroll back a little on this thread to find it).
Someone said that from previous years, it seems like WL movement starts in February, and then there is a small wave 1x per month until everything is finalized (they've sent out all their inital As), and then it is more frequent. My guess/hope is that there will be another A wave off the WL in the next week or two.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you!You can but it seems like they advise against it.
Would like to know how it goes/if they accept your LOR! When I asked earlier in the cycle (post interview and post WL decision) they had told me they do not accept any more LORs. I saw the same posting but I wanted to make sure and that’s what they told me.Thank you!
Has anyone who interviewed in October or later gotten off the WL? I saw that most of the WL movement last month was from September interviews.
JAK/No stat
Full Member
Any current GU Students in this thread by any chance?
premed2211999
Full Member
WL today, interviewed 1/8. Did not get an email yet but saw the update on my portal
tennisgirl_1234
New Member
WL interviewed 1/12. Did not get an email but received update from portal. Does anyone know how many people are on the WL typically?
I did this (because I am ridiculous) if anyone was interested. Went back to like page 9, and then it was mostly II invites so I stopped.
View attachment 332952View attachment 332953View attachment 332954
Yeah I noticed that too - I think it went to early Oct. It looks like based on maybemd21’s post they are going more chronologically off the waitlist...Has anyone who interviewed in October or later gotten off the WL? I saw that most of the WL movement last month was from September interviews.
Interviewed 10/14
When did you interview?
10/7.Yeah I noticed that too - I think it went to early Oct. It looks like based on maybemd21’s post they are going more chronologically off the waitlist...
Interviewed 10/14
When did you interview?
My fear is that they will do all the October waitlist pulls next week, then keep going chronologically without going back to October in May.
wegotthis20201234
Full Member
Have any January interviewees gotten acceptances?
Ahh I see, your guess is as good as mine. I trust they have found an equitable system, even if we don't know what that system may be. They have in the past recommended that you continue to send updates if your interest holds, I would assume that means at some point people from earlier on in the cycle won't be re-reviewed unless they've submitted a recent Letter of Interest because it could be assumed they are no longer interested. Right now the timing makes it hard to gauge when we will hear back about the WL because it seems February interviewees are still waiting to hear back. I wonder if they have conducted interviews through March? This is adding to the workload of the admissions committees so I think as the pool of applicants gets smaller, they will be able to do more WL review.10/7.
My fear is that they will do all the October waitlist pulls next week, then keep going chronologically without going back to October in May.
On the other hand, I do hope they are offering more A off the WL and giving the final decisions soon! The waiting game is so stressful!
Are they going in chronological order to decide who gets off WL? For instance, the only WL people that got acceptances that we've heard from this thread interviewed in Sept. So if I interviewed in Oct and got on the WL in Jan, would I maybe hear soon, or is it random?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
premed2211999
Full Member
A! Got the call! Interviewed 09/24
This has been my dream school and I am in shock. Don't give up hope if you're on the WL!
Huge congrats to both of you! Would you mind sharing how many letters of interest/letters of intent you sent since being waitlisted?A! Just got the call, interviewed 10/22 and was WL 1/22!
Thank you! I only sent one right after I was placed on the WLHuge congrats to both of you! Would you mind sharing how many letters of interest/letters of intent you sent since being waitlisted?
Thank you 🙂Huge congrats to both of you! Would you mind sharing how many letters of interest/letters of intent you sent since being waitlisted?
I sent a letter of intent a few weeks after my WL in December, update in February, and intent in March