2020-2021 Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, "adcoms...taking some time off with the election upcoming" sounds much more logical!!
(Sound familiar?) Son, trust me. SMP & GEMS are next. The grades from next week's 2 tests for SMP will lock their chances, they are getting ALs next. That will take us right into end of April. Don't you wish you could see same communication that is shared with SMP & GEMS students? Praying and positive thinking are all good. But facts are facts.

I am pretty sure they wouldn't have extended IIs knowing they only have spots for SMPs. That would be a waste of their time. I mean November and December interview is kind of early in the process and some of us still haven't heard back. I refuse to believe they only have place for SMPs with out sending out decisions for us who already interviewed. It would probably make a little bit more sense if your logic was along the lines of probably they won't send IIs anymore but this c'mon now...lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hi y'all...I just got the call!! very surprised to hear back on a saturday. 11/19 interview and NOT an SMP lmaoo

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
OMG!!!! I finally got the A call too. Interviewed 11/10. Also not SMP LMAO...

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am replying en-mass to all those who sent DM to me -

Not a single SMP and GEMS student at GUSOM has even been interviewed as of now, so nobody from SMP & GEMS is on WL yet. They are explicitly told to hold off sending secondaries, they are in a different pool of applicants. Keep in mind - last year new "traffic rules" were introduced by AAMC, all med schools have to follow them. Educate yourself on these traffic rules, specifically - all admitted students can mark one school as "Plan to attend". If you get admitted to multiple medical schools, you can change your one "Plan to attend" school, every hour, every second, everyday - until April 30. April 30 is a significant date for ALL students to lock their selection from "Plan to Attend" to "Will attend". So now, you do the math. If you are an adcom and you have to fill an incoming class, what would you do? You will first dip into non-SMP pool and then dip into SMP and GEMS pool next (which as I mentioned above is deliberately and explicitly kept separate). Grades for SMP are still coming in. And April 30 applies to SMP and GEMs students too. GUSOM, BU and others that have SMP programs, filled their non-SMP class first, establish a baseline (based on daily report on count of "Plan to attends" at their university), then fill SMP/GEMS (BU only has SMP). Only a fixed number of students are eventually selected from SMP/GEMS pool. And after that (or simultaneously) WL from non-SMP is processed - until April 30. Musical chair stops on April 30, a few leftovers will be processed (typically less than 10) after May 1. This is exactly what happened last year - GUSOM sent bulk of admissions before March 1, then very little non-SMP WL movement till after April 30.

Sooo. Anyone reading this thread have to decide - whether to believe the QAnon crowd who floats theories about how adcoms take a break during October/November presidential election weeks or whether adcoms follow AAMC traffic rules. Sure, they work on Sundays in March, but not during Presidential election weeks in October/November. Gimme a break!

This will be my last post - because I am already in, I am already locked in and it is not GUSOM. No point rolling in mud with shamans.

Good Luck to all.

A call earlier today too, not SMP or GEMS, interviewed in December

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I am replying en-mass to all those who sent DM to me -

Not a single SMP and GEMS student at GUSOM has even been interviewed as of now, so nobody from SMP & GEMS is on WL yet. They are explicitly told to hold off sending secondaries, they are in a different pool of applicants. Keep in mind - last year new "traffic rules" were introduced by AAMC, all med schools have to follow them. Educate yourself on these traffic rules, specifically - all admitted students can mark one school as "Plan to attend". If you get admitted to multiple medical schools, you can change your one "Plan to attend" school, every hour, every second, everyday - until April 30. April 30 is a significant date for ALL students to lock their selection from "Plan to Attend" to "Will attend". So now, you do the math. If you are an adcom and you have to fill an incoming class, what would you do? You will first dip into non-SMP pool and then dip into SMP and GEMS pool next (which as I mentioned above is deliberately and explicitly kept separate). Grades for SMP are still coming in. And April 30 applies to SMP and GEMs students too. GUSOM, BU and others that have SMP programs, filled their non-SMP class first, establish a baseline (based on daily report on count of "Plan to attends" at their university), then fill SMP/GEMS (BU only has SMP). Only a fixed number of students are eventually selected from SMP/GEMS pool. And after that (or simultaneously) WL from non-SMP is processed - until April 30. Musical chair stops on April 30, a few leftovers will be processed (typically less than 10) after May 1. This is exactly what happened last year - GUSOM sent bulk of admissions before March 1, then very little non-SMP WL movement till after April 30.

Sooo. Anyone reading this thread have to decide - whether to believe the QAnon crowd who floats theories about how adcoms take a break during October/November presidential election weeks or whether adcoms follow AAMC traffic rules. Sure, they work on Sundays in March, but not during Presidential election weeks in October/November. Gimme a break!

This will be my last post - because I am already in, I am already locked in and it is not GUSOM. No point rolling in mud with shamans.

Good Luck to all.
1. New traffic guidance was implemented in 2018-2019 cycle, not last year
2. April 30 is when students holding 3 acceptances are recommended to select down to one acceptance and select "Plan to Enroll" for that corresponding offer (note: this is only guidance offered by AAMC and is not strictly enforced, unfortunately).
3. Each school has their own unique Commit to Enroll deadline - this is where applicants must commit to their intended school. I believe Georegtown's is mid-June.
4. GUSM explicitly states that every interviewee has a chance at acceptance no matter when they interview in the application cycle. As we've seen from posters above, this year's class is not full and there's already been some WL movement.
5. Last year's thread shows a fair amount of non-SMP movement from May 1 - May 10. Keep in mind that SDN represents only a fraction of the entire applicant community.

A! Interviewed 12/1. Got the call early Sunday morning and was finally able to check my voicemail (included an apology for calling so early- "I forgot the time difference to CA" lol)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
So as per last cycle's GU thread people who interviewed in mid January 2020 started hearing back the week of March 13th 2020. Do we think us January interviewees will hear back at the end of this week or next week? Or do y'all think it will be much later?

Members don't see this ad :)
So as per last cycle's GU thread people who interviewed in mid January 2020 started hearing back the week of March 13th 2020. Do we think us January interviewees will hear back at the end of this week or next week? Or do y'all think it will be much later?
I think they’re much further behind than they were last year. That said, if dec/nov interviewees last year heard back the first week of March then that would make me hopeful

I think they’re much further behind than they were last year. That said, if dec/nov interviewees last year heard back the first week of March then that would make me hopeful
Oof, it looks like from last cycle's thread that Nov/Dec interviewees heard back in late Jan/early Feb 2020. At this rate I'm not going to hear back until late April lol

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
for those that were accepted, did you already receive your financial aid info?
I contacted the Financial Office and they said that once they receive all of your paperwork (FAFSA, Georgetown Financial Aid doc, and credit history check) then it will be ~ 1 month to receive aid info. It sounded like this timer began March 1st, which was the deadline for everything, so I'm hoping we'll hear back at the end of March of we were complete by then.

I contacted the Financial Office and they said that once they receive all of your paperwork (FAFSA, Georgetown Financial Aid doc, and credit history check) then it will be ~ 1 month to receive aid info. It sounded like this timer began March 1st, which was the deadline for everything, so I'm hoping we'll hear back at the end of March of we were complete by then.
Also, I'm unsure what this means for people accepted after March 1st; might be best to email and ask?

Also, I'm unsure what this means for people accepted after March 1st; might be best to email and ask?
I think the deadline was March 1 even if you are waiting for a decision/WL. Couldn't hurt to confirm though.

do you guys think the last group of interviewees from January will get an A/WL/R decision before April 30th or could it go past that?

do you guys think the last group of interviewees from January will get an A/WL/R decision before April 30th or could it go past that?
I don't think they would go that late into the cycle. I think AAMC requires decisions to be given for interviewees well before this time per the AMCAS timeline.

Just two weeks ago, I believe they got through Nov, and most (if not all) of Dec, and they seem to be working a lot more throughout the week to send out the decisions. I believe that the next decision wave might be either beginning of April or before then.

One thing I'm not sure about is how they are going about taking people off the WL if they are still making decisions on interviewees. It seemed that a lot of students went onto the WL by November (and I know not all the students are on SDN but I haven't seen many post-II acceptances on this thread after October) -- but there have been a few recent interviewees who were accepted it seems, hence my question.

I don't think they would go that late into the cycle. I think AAMC requires decisions to be given for interviewees well before this time per the AMCAS timeline.

Just two weeks ago, I believe they got through Nov, and most (if not all) of Dec, and they seem to be working a lot more throughout the week to send out the decisions. I believe that the next decision wave might be either beginning of April or before then.

One thing I'm not sure about is how they are going about taking people off the WL if they are still making decisions on interviewees. It seemed that a lot of students went onto the WL by November (and I know not all the students are on SDN but I haven't seen many post-II acceptances on this thread after October) -- but there have been a few recent interviewees who were accepted it seems, hence my question.
I found some info thru this link but I'm not sure what to make of it: Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers.

I found some info thru this link but I'm not sure what to make of it: Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers.
Hmm I'm not sure either. I still think those who interviewed in January will hear back sooner but it might just be wishful thinking.

Last year's thread had the January interviewees know by mid-March and the December interviewees by mid-February; so I'm thinking since the December interviewees this cycle found out a few weeks ago (early March) then that might mean January interviewees will hear back by early April.

I don't actually understand how the traffic rules work but at least for the WL it seems pretty clear.

Reactions: 1 users
Can we submit additional letters of recommendation if we are on the WL?

Attachments

• C0B340BE-5B0C-4D97-A9FF-812D9131DFE7.jpeg
    C0B340BE-5B0C-4D97-A9FF-812D9131DFE7.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 115
When does WL movement typically occur for Georgetown? I’ve been waitlisted since December and sent a letter but haven’t heard anything yet.

When does WL movement typically occur for Georgetown? I’ve been waitlisted since December and sent a letter but haven’t heard anything yet.
WL Movement for Georgetown already started a few weeks ago! There were a handful of people who interviewed in September (and were subsequently waitlisted) who got As off the WL at the end of February (I believe ~Feb 22 if my memory is correct, you can scroll back a little on this thread to find it).

Someone said that from previous years, it seems like WL movement starts in February, and then there is a small wave 1x per month until everything is finalized (they've sent out all their inital As), and then it is more frequent. My guess/hope is that there will be another A wave off the WL in the next week or two.

WL Movement for Georgetown already started a few weeks ago! There were a handful of people who interviewed in September (and were subsequently waitlisted) who got As off the WL at the end of February (I believe ~Feb 22 if my memory is correct, you can scroll back a little on this thread to find it).

Someone said that from previous years, it seems like WL movement starts in February, and then there is a small wave 1x per month until everything is finalized (they've sent out all their inital As), and then it is more frequent. My guess/hope is that there will be another A wave off the WL in the next week or two.
Haha I hope you're right. More WL movement this month would be great.

Thank you!
Would like to know how it goes/if they accept your LOR! When I asked earlier in the cycle (post interview and post WL decision) they had told me they do not accept any more LORs. I saw the same posting but I wanted to make sure and that’s what they told me.

Has anyone who interviewed in October or later gotten off the WL? I saw that most of the WL movement last month was from September interviews.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I did this (because I am ridiculous) if anyone was interested. Went back to like page 9, and then it was mostly II invites so I stopped.

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 5.37.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 5.38.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 5.38.27 PM.png

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
WL today, interviewed 1/8. Did not get an email yet but saw the update on my portal

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
WL interviewed 1/12. Did not get an email but received update from portal. Does anyone know how many people are on the WL typically?

• Care
I did this (because I am ridiculous) if anyone was interested. Went back to like page 9, and then it was mostly II invites so I stopped.

View attachment 332952View attachment 332953View attachment 332954
Has anyone who interviewed in October or later gotten off the WL? I saw that most of the WL movement last month was from September interviews.
Yeah I noticed that too - I think it went to early Oct. It looks like based on maybemd21’s post they are going more chronologically off the waitlist...

Interviewed 10/14
When did you interview?

Yeah I noticed that too - I think it went to early Oct. It looks like based on maybemd21’s post they are going more chronologically off the waitlist...

Interviewed 10/14
When did you interview?
10/7.

My fear is that they will do all the October waitlist pulls next week, then keep going chronologically without going back to October in May.

• Care
10/7.

My fear is that they will do all the October waitlist pulls next week, then keep going chronologically without going back to October in May.
Ahh I see, your guess is as good as mine. I trust they have found an equitable system, even if we don't know what that system may be. They have in the past recommended that you continue to send updates if your interest holds, I would assume that means at some point people from earlier on in the cycle won't be re-reviewed unless they've submitted a recent Letter of Interest because it could be assumed they are no longer interested. Right now the timing makes it hard to gauge when we will hear back about the WL because it seems February interviewees are still waiting to hear back. I wonder if they have conducted interviews through March? This is adding to the workload of the admissions committees so I think as the pool of applicants gets smaller, they will be able to do more WL review.

On the other hand, I do hope they are offering more A off the WL and giving the final decisions soon! The waiting game is so stressful!

Are they going in chronological order to decide who gets off WL? For instance, the only WL people that got acceptances that we've heard from this thread interviewed in Sept. So if I interviewed in Oct and got on the WL in Jan, would I maybe hear soon, or is it random?

A! Just got the call, interviewed 10/22 and was WL 1/22!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
A! Got the call! Interviewed 09/24
This has been my dream school and I am in shock. Don't give up hope if you're on the WL!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
A! Got the call! Interviewed 09/24
This has been my dream school and I am in shock. Don't give up hope if you're on the WL!
A! Just got the call, interviewed 10/22 and was WL 1/22!
Huge congrats to both of you! Would you mind sharing how many letters of interest/letters of intent you sent since being waitlisted?

Reactions: 3 users