2020-2021 Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Huge congrats to both of you! Would you mind sharing how many letters of interest/letters of intent you sent since being waitlisted?
Thank you :)
I sent a letter of intent a few weeks after my WL in December, update in February, and intent in March

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Acceptance call today! Interviewed in January :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Do you guys/gals think that the more letters of intent/interest you send, the more likely they are to take you off the WL? I was WL’d on 1/22, and I submitted a letter of intent on 2/10 and another one 3/19. I’d love some advice!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Those of you who got accepted off WL, you sending a letter of intent or interest?? The portal says specifically interest so was wondering if intent was acceptable as well

Congrats to all that are accepted!!!

Quick Question: Am I the only one or do y'all feel like GU hasn't mentioned enough about research opportunities available for medical students? I am trying to find that on the website and all but it doesn't seem strong. I don't remember them saying anything about opportunities like that besides being close to the NIH. Anyone have some idea/info regarding that? This is big part of my decision making process and I am a little worried about it. GU is my best fit so far except for this one thing that is making me a bit hesitant. If any of you have some idea (SMPs, current students or applicants), please PM me.

Congrats to all that are accepted!!!

Quick Question: Am I the only one or do y'all feel like GU hasn't mentioned enough about research opportunities available for medical students? I am trying to find that on the website and all but it doesn't seem strong. I don't remember them saying anything about opportunities like that besides being close to the NIH. Anyone have some idea/info regarding that? This is big part of my decision making process and I am a little worried about it. GU is my best fit so far except for this one thing that is making me a bit hesitant. If any of you have some idea (SMPs, current students or applicants), please PM me.
Nah, you aren't alone at all. Their website seems rather... dated... when it comes to information regarding research available to medical students lol. I'd love to know if there are sufficient involvements opps! i'm between here and a considerably research focused school, so i'd love to get some insight.

Reactions: 2 users
Nah, you aren't alone at all. Their website seems rather... dated... when it comes to information regarding research available to medical students lol. I'd love to know if there are sufficient involvements opps! i'm between here and a considerably research focused school, so i'd love to get some insight.
Same, all the info I was able to find was from 2016. But then looking at the insane match list, I thought maybe I am missing something since they are matching a lot of students into highly competitive research focused specialties. Idk... I am in the same boat as you currently stuck between one research focused school and GU.

Reactions: 1 user
Same, all the info I was able to find was from 2016. But then looking at the insane match list, I thought maybe I am missing something since they are matching a lot of students into highly competitive research focused specialties. Idk... I am in the same boat as you currently stuck between one research focused school and GU.
I kinda got a sense they were research focused! They have that independent scholarly project as a research requirement and the medical student research (or something like that) office to help people find mentors, research projects, etc. Maybe my bar is lower, but I definitely felt like I could get a lot of research and pubs over 4 years

Right? that's a major pro for me-- their match list is awesome. 32 IM, 19 Anesthesiology, 14 combined Rad + Rad Onc, 13 General Surgery, 13 Ortho, and it goes on -- their 2021 success was considerable.

so i suppose my more specific concern is this: is the research process streamlined outside of the required project, or is it more individual inquiry and digging around a bit? They might not boast the staggering numbers of other institutions, but $50mill in NIH funding is still $50mill!

I kinda got a sense they were research focused! They have that independent scholarly project as a research requirement and the medical student research (or something like that) office to help people find mentors, research projects, etc. Maybe my bar is lower, but I definitely felt like I could get a lot of research and pubs over 4 years

Yeah, that's the hope! Especially with Step 1 going P/F.

Right? that's a major pro for me-- their match list is awesome. 32 IM, 19 Anesthesiology, 14 combined Rad + Rad Onc, 13 General Surgery, 13 Ortho, and it goes on -- their 2021 success was considerable.

where did you find their 2021 match information??

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear back about FA? I think it’s coming up on almost 2 months of silence after sending in all documents

Anyone hear back about FA? I think it’s coming up on almost 2 months of silence after sending in all documents
So I decided to check the MyAccess portal and I see what looks like an award package of just loans lol. Haven't received an email of an award, so might want to check your portal

Last edited:
Any of y’all choosing Georgetown over your state school? I want to send a letter of intent but that cost is getting to me

Any of y’all choosing Georgetown over your state school? I want to send a letter of intent but that cost is getting to me
DC cost of living too... I've found that schools seriously lowball COL estimates in their comprehensive COA financial aid presentations. These problems are exacerbated in expensive cities :(

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
So I decided to check the MyAccess portal and I see what looks like an award package of just loans lol. Haven't received an email of an award, so might want to check your portal
Yeah mine says no award yet

Where do you get access to this portal?
There should be instructions on how to get access in the electronics credentials section under the pre-matriculation tab in your application portal. You'll need your NetID and stuff-all that info should be in the aforementioned section of the portal

I see it, also we were like supposed to email our fa docs right? Emailed mine in end of Feb, portal is saying it wasn't recieved :cautious:

Does anyone else not see a financial aid button/option on MyAccess? I only see Personal Information, Student Services, and Applicant

Same here. It just says "requested" and I sent mine early Feb
For what it’s worth, I see my documents marked on MyAccess as being complete only as of March 22 even though I submitted on march 1st. They might be behind in updating the portal, but given that you both submitted before me, perhaps it’s worth emailing to check in

Does anyone else not see a financial aid button/option on MyAccess? I only see Personal Information, Student Services, and Applicant
Yes I saw the exact same thing and I submitted in the beginning of Feb. There is no FA bar on my portal. After you get an award does it change? I am not able to see the documents I submitted either...

Just curious, does anyone know when the AdCom meets? I remember seeing every 2 weeks but was just wondering if anyone had more info

Any idea when we might hear back about the Sarah Stewart Scholars?

Does anyone have an estimate of how much it costs to live in georgetown per year? including rent, food, bills, car, gas, etc.?

I interviewed in mid-January and got the acceptance call earlier this week! So I think they will be getting around to end of January interviewees soon :)

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks! What about other living expenses outside of rent?
Parking=expensive (100-150 per month), groceries are expensive, food is expressive, going out is expensive. Youre living in one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the country.

Trying not to sugarcoat it, but moving from Georgetown where I did my undergrad to chicago for medical school has halved my rent, and everything else even MORE than that.

ITs ****ing expensive to live in dc.

BUT its one of my favorite places on earth and I miss DC dearly. So while it hurts the wallet, you are in one of the most fun, interesting, diverse, important cities in the world.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know when next wave of WL acceptances is coming?

• Care
Any current students on here that can answer a few questions. If not, has anyone asked about the class environment?

did anyone apply for the Sarah Stewart Scholarship? Is the scholarship binding once you decided to accept it after applying for it?

did anyone apply for the Sarah Stewart Scholarship? Is the scholarship binding once you decided to accept it after applying for it?
I had the same question and emailed to ask. The scholarship is not binding if you accept it. All the usual traffic rules and deposit deadline still apply!

Is the Sarah Stewart Scholarship the one that was due today? I saw on the Google form that it said "second round application" -- does anyone know what that means?

Is the Sarah Stewart Scholarship the one that was due today? I saw on the Google form that it said "second round application" -- does anyone know what that means?
There was an earlier deadline I think in late Jan. They opened it up again for people who got accepted later to apply

I had the same question and emailed to ask. The scholarship is not binding if you accept it. All the usual traffic rules and deposit deadline still apply!
Did they by any chance communicate when decisions would be announced?

anyone have an idea when next wave of WL to A will be announced based on last year thread?

edit: tell me why SDN changes your words to Easter themed things for April 1st lmao (purgatory = wait-list hahaha actually pretty funny)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone receive confirmation after submitting the Sarah Stewart Scholarship?