You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Georgetown
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
absolute_lad
Full Member
Those of you who got accepted off WL, you sending a letter of intent or interest?? The portal says specifically interest so was wondering if intent was acceptable as well
wegotthis20201234
Full Member
Congrats!!!!! When did you interview in Jan!?Acceptance call today! Interviewed in January 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
JAK/No stat
Full Member
Congrats to all that are accepted!!!
Quick Question: Am I the only one or do y'all feel like GU hasn't mentioned enough about research opportunities available for medical students? I am trying to find that on the website and all but it doesn't seem strong. I don't remember them saying anything about opportunities like that besides being close to the NIH. Anyone have some idea/info regarding that? This is big part of my decision making process and I am a little worried about it. GU is my best fit so far except for this one thing that is making me a bit hesitant. If any of you have some idea (SMPs, current students or applicants), please PM me.
Quick Question: Am I the only one or do y'all feel like GU hasn't mentioned enough about research opportunities available for medical students? I am trying to find that on the website and all but it doesn't seem strong. I don't remember them saying anything about opportunities like that besides being close to the NIH. Anyone have some idea/info regarding that? This is big part of my decision making process and I am a little worried about it. GU is my best fit so far except for this one thing that is making me a bit hesitant. If any of you have some idea (SMPs, current students or applicants), please PM me.
Nah, you aren't alone at all. Their website seems rather... dated... when it comes to information regarding research available to medical students lol. I'd love to know if there are sufficient involvements opps! i'm between here and a considerably research focused school, so i'd love to get some insight.Congrats to all that are accepted!!!
Quick Question: Am I the only one or do y'all feel like GU hasn't mentioned enough about research opportunities available for medical students? I am trying to find that on the website and all but it doesn't seem strong. I don't remember them saying anything about opportunities like that besides being close to the NIH. Anyone have some idea/info regarding that? This is big part of my decision making process and I am a little worried about it. GU is my best fit so far except for this one thing that is making me a bit hesitant. If any of you have some idea (SMPs, current students or applicants), please PM me.
JAK/No stat
Full Member
Same, all the info I was able to find was from 2016. But then looking at the insane match list, I thought maybe I am missing something since they are matching a lot of students into highly competitive research focused specialties. Idk... I am in the same boat as you currently stuck between one research focused school and GU.Nah, you aren't alone at all. Their website seems rather... dated... when it comes to information regarding research available to medical students lol. I'd love to know if there are sufficient involvements opps! i'm between here and a considerably research focused school, so i'd love to get some insight.
I kinda got a sense they were research focused! They have that independent scholarly project as a research requirement and the medical student research (or something like that) office to help people find mentors, research projects, etc. Maybe my bar is lower, but I definitely felt like I could get a lot of research and pubs over 4 yearsSame, all the info I was able to find was from 2016. But then looking at the insane match list, I thought maybe I am missing something since they are matching a lot of students into highly competitive research focused specialties. Idk... I am in the same boat as you currently stuck between one research focused school and GU.
Same, all the info I was able to find was from 2016. But then looking at the insane match list, I thought maybe I am missing something since they are matching a lot of students into highly competitive research focused specialties. Idk... I am in the same boat as you currently stuck between one research focused school and GU.
Right? that's a major pro for me-- their match list is awesome. 32 IM, 19 Anesthesiology, 14 combined Rad + Rad Onc, 13 General Surgery, 13 Ortho, and it goes on -- their 2021 success was considerable.
so i suppose my more specific concern is this: is the research process streamlined outside of the required project, or is it more individual inquiry and digging around a bit? They might not boast the staggering numbers of other institutions, but $50mill in NIH funding is still $50mill!
I kinda got a sense they were research focused! They have that independent scholarly project as a research requirement and the medical student research (or something like that) office to help people find mentors, research projects, etc. Maybe my bar is lower, but I definitely felt like I could get a lot of research and pubs over 4 years
Yeah, that's the hope! Especially with Step 1 going P/F.
bodynotfondofcoffee
Full Member
Right? that's a major pro for me-- their match list is awesome. 32 IM, 19 Anesthesiology, 14 combined Rad + Rad Onc, 13 General Surgery, 13 Ortho, and it goes on -- their 2021 success was considerable.
where did you find their 2021 match information??
They uploaded their match day video on The GUSOM Facebook Page!where did you find their 2021 match information??
It's right here. Details about the Match and where // what people matched into begins at the 8 minute, 10 second mark: Match Day 2021
If for nothing else, this should be a testament to SDN reporting bias. Thanks for putting this together!I did this (because I am ridiculous) if anyone was interested. Went back to like page 9, and then it was mostly II invites so I stopped.
View attachment 332952View attachment 332953View attachment 332954
So I decided to check the MyAccess portal and I see what looks like an award package of just loans lol. Haven't received an email of an award, so might want to check your portalAnyone hear back about FA? I think it’s coming up on almost 2 months of silence after sending in all documents
Last edited:
DC cost of living too... I've found that schools seriously lowball COL estimates in their comprehensive COA financial aid presentations. These problems are exacerbated in expensive cities 🙁Any of y’all choosing Georgetown over your state school? I want to send a letter of intent but that cost is getting to me
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
where on my access?So I decided to check the MyAccess portal and I see what looks like an award package of just loans lol. Haven't received an email of an award, so might want to check your portal
On the home page, select "Financial Aid"->"Award Information"->select the aid year (2021-2022) and submit-> click "Award Overview"where on my access?
Where do you get access to this portal?On the home page, select "Financial Aid"->"Award Information"->select the aid year (2021-2022) and submit-> click "Award Overview"
Yeah mine says no award yetSo I decided to check the MyAccess portal and I see what looks like an award package of just loans lol. Haven't received an email of an award, so might want to check your portal
I have access because I’m an alum. Idk if they’ve sent out netIDs. Someone can correct meWhere do you get access to this portal?
There should be instructions on how to get access in the electronics credentials section under the pre-matriculation tab in your application portal. You'll need your NetID and stuff-all that info should be in the aforementioned section of the portalWhere do you get access to this portal?
I got an email (went to my spam folder) on March 4 to check my portal for my NetIDI have access because I’m an alum. Idk if they’ve sent out netIDs. Someone can correct me
I see it, also we were like supposed to email our fa docs right? Emailed mine in end of Feb, portal is saying it wasn't recieved 😒
Same here. It just says "requested" and I sent mine early FebI see it, also we were like supposed to email our fa docs right? Emailed mine in end of Feb, portal is saying it wasn't recieved 😒
For what it’s worth, I see my documents marked on MyAccess as being complete only as of March 22 even though I submitted on march 1st. They might be behind in updating the portal, but given that you both submitted before me, perhaps it’s worth emailing to check inSame here. It just says "requested" and I sent mine early Feb
Yes I saw the exact same thing and I submitted in the beginning of Feb. There is no FA bar on my portal. After you get an award does it change? I am not able to see the documents I submitted either...Does anyone else not see a financial aid button/option on MyAccess? I only see Personal Information, Student Services, and Applicant
In 2018 it was the first week of April, but that's the only thing I sawAny idea when we might hear back about the Sarah Stewart Scholars?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering this after I just saw my horrific aid package lolAny idea when we might hear back about the Sarah Stewart Scholars?
you just absolutely read my mind LOLJust wondering this after I just saw my horrific aid package lol
Does anyone have an estimate of how much it costs to live in georgetown per year? including rent, food, bills, car, gas, etc.?
wegotthis20201234
Full Member
anyone hear back who interviewed the last week of January?
someone with an A said they interviewed “end of January” but idk date. Nothing else was posted here from that last week!anyone hear back who interviewed the last week of January?
Thanks! What about other living expenses outside of rent?Rent between $1100-$1500
Parking=expensive (100-150 per month), groceries are expensive, food is expressive, going out is expensive. Youre living in one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the country.Thanks! What about other living expenses outside of rent?
Trying not to sugarcoat it, but moving from Georgetown where I did my undergrad to chicago for medical school has halved my rent, and everything else even MORE than that.
ITs ****ing expensive to live in dc.
BUT its one of my favorite places on earth and I miss DC dearly. So while it hurts the wallet, you are in one of the most fun, interesting, diverse, important cities in the world.
Anyone know when next wave of WL acceptances is coming?
It's hard to say, but last year more WL trickled in April 10.Anyone know when next wave of WL acceptances is coming?
D
deleted1095518
did anyone apply for the Sarah Stewart Scholarship? Is the scholarship binding once you decided to accept it after applying for it?
cacaonibs
Full Member
I had the same question and emailed to ask. The scholarship is not binding if you accept it. All the usual traffic rules and deposit deadline still apply!did anyone apply for the Sarah Stewart Scholarship? Is the scholarship binding once you decided to accept it after applying for it?
elliethe_elephant
New Member
Is the Sarah Stewart Scholarship the one that was due today? I saw on the Google form that it said "second round application" -- does anyone know what that means?
There was an earlier deadline I think in late Jan. They opened it up again for people who got accepted later to applyIs the Sarah Stewart Scholarship the one that was due today? I saw on the Google form that it said "second round application" -- does anyone know what that means?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did they by any chance communicate when decisions would be announced?I had the same question and emailed to ask. The scholarship is not binding if you accept it. All the usual traffic rules and deposit deadline still apply!
absolute_lad
Full Member
anyone have an idea when next wave of WL to A will be announced based on last year thread?
edit: tell me why SDN changes your words to Easter themed things for April 1st lmao (purgatory = wait-list hahaha actually pretty funny)
edit: tell me why SDN changes your words to Easter themed things for April 1st lmao (purgatory = wait-list hahaha actually pretty funny)
Last edited:
Nope. No confirmation. No date when the winners will be announced. Very annoying tbhDid anybunny receive confirmation after submitting the Sarah Stewart Scholarship?
viszlaking
Full Member
Anyone else peep the new rankings 😟