You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Illinois
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
For any current or former students who were OOS. How did you decide on UIC? I realize that for some it may have been their only acceptance, but with crazy price tag did scholarships or grants make it affordable. What was your reasoning. I really love the school, but the price tag is just killing me.
I wouldn’t bank on scholarships. Dr. Amiri nailed it right on the head on my interview day but it basically summed up to Illinois is dead broke and billions in debt on budget and union pension promises so scholarship opportunities are few and far between.
Not saying it’s impossible but I wouldn’t expect much financial help OOS.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else complete in July and not heard anything?
In-state, undergrad alum, 3.7, 523 getting really nervous because Illinois is one of my top choices
Same here. Same gpa, Lower MCAT but extremely strong ECs. I transferred out of UIC though to a different university so I'm assuming they blacklisted me because of that lol
do all scholarly concentrations require an interview?Just got an interview for the IMED program! Is there anyone else who has interviewed for this program? I haven't seen anything about it.
premedxpremed
Full Member
Completed early August. LM-69. it's one of my top choices as well. OOS though. radio silent 🙁
Completed early August. LM-69. it's one of my top choices as well. OOS though. radio silent 🙁
Fingers crossed for you and those who are waiting for an interview! There is an increase in 41% of applicants to UIC this year according to Dr. Amiri so it might take a while. Also, Dr. Amiri mentioned in several podcasts that UIC is mission-driven and that when they select for interviewees and acceptances. Basically, their interview and acceptance pool is 1/3rd research-focused applicants, 1/3rd advocacy-focused applicants, and 1/3rd clinical-focused applicants. If your app is more focused on either 1 of those 3 aspects, I think you may be more likely to get an interview.
premedxpremed
Full Member
Thank you so much for your kind-hearted genuine response! This gives me hope! I do have a lot of research experiences so I hope I do fit in that category! Thank you! 🙂Fingers crossed for you and those who are waiting for an interview! There is an increase in 41% of applicants to UIC this year according to Dr. Amiri so it might take a while. Also, Dr. Amiri mentioned in several podcasts that UIC is mission-driven and that when they select for interviewees and acceptances. Basically, their interview and acceptance pool is 1/3rd research-focused applicants, 1/3rd advocacy-focused applicants, and 1/3rd clinical-focused applicants. If your app is more focused on either 1 of those 3 aspects, I think you may be more likely to get an interview.
I'm not sure. IMED seems to - I work with a surgeon who was in their urban medicine program, but that was 10+ years ago so I'm not sure that her interview experience is representative.do all scholarly concentrations require an interview?
southside24
Full Member
I was placed on the delayed decision list after my late october interview. I'm curious, does anyone know how the delayed decision works? Will we truly be reevaluated and hear an update after every committee meeting on the third Thursday of the month or are we likely not to be evaluated again until April or so like a normal waitlist? Thanks!
I was placed on the delayed decision list after my late october interview. I'm curious, does anyone know how the delayed decision works? Will we truly be reevaluated and hear an update after every committee meeting on the third Thursday of the month or are we likely not to be evaluated again until April or so like a normal waitlist? Thanks!
On our interview day, Dr. Amiri said delayed decision means that they are unable to make a decision on your file as of yet. It does NOT mean you are on a waitlist. They will review your file on a monthly basis and make a decision on it as soon as possible.
Nvrgiveup01
Full Member
In the same position you are in except my interview was early October. I haven't heard back so decided to write an update/interest letter. I called admissions and said they welcome these updates. The 3rd Thursday in October, I was notified of my delayed decision status. I did not hear anything on the third Thursday of November.I was placed on the delayed decision list after my late october interview. I'm curious, does anyone know how the delayed decision works? Will we truly be reevaluated and hear an update after every committee meeting on the third Thursday of the month or are we likely not to be evaluated again until April or so like a normal waitlist? Thanks!
letsgoooooo
Full Member
accepted into the PAP program! 🙂
southside24
Full Member
Thank you, this is helpful! Does anyone know the likelihood of acceptance off the delayed decision list? Has there been a lot of movement in years past? UICOM is a top choice of mine. I plan on submitting a LOI today or tomorrow.On our interview day, Dr. Amiri said delayed decision means that they are unable to make a decision on your file as of yet. It does NOT mean you are on a waitlist. They will review your file on a monthly basis and make a decision on it as soon as possible.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Polyxena2020
Full Member
I interviewed early September (I think the first day of interviews) and was placed on delayed decision during the October round. I got the A on the third Saturday of November, so hopefully you'll hear back at the next one!
southside24
Full Member
Congrats!! Did you submit a LOI?I interviewed early September (I think the first day of interviews) and was placed on delayed decision during the October round. I got the A on the third Saturday of November, so hopefully you'll hear back at the next one!
Polyxena2020
Full Member
I sent 2 updates. One the week of decisions in October with updates about a new scribe job I have (and received the subsequent delayed decision) and one the week of decisions in November as a LOI
superintroduction
Full Member
When you guys uploaded your update letter to the portal, did you upload under letter of interest or additional documents? I uploaded mine under additional documents and now my portal says international documentation received for some reason even though im not an international applicant
Nvrgiveup01
Full Member
I was also concerned about this as an OOS applicant. I heard that there is not much free money available for scholarships/grants to offset the high OOS tuition. I hope I am wrong though.Any OOS who attends UIC med answer questions regarding finance? Contemplating about UIC really freaks me out with the COA vs other OOS schools. Still waiting for FAFSA, but is there nice financial aid at uic?
NeedAnotherNap
Full Member
Not yet! I’ll update as soon as I do!Has anyone heard a decision about campus placement?
Scholarly concentration applications were due dec 1st I would give it a couple of weeks before we get placed.Not yet! I’ll update as soon as I do!
NeedAnotherNap
Full Member
He’s talking about campus placement. I think it doesn’t necessarily have to do with scholarly concentrations? For example, if they placed you in Rockford and you got accepted to UMED, they would switch your campus placement. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but this is my understanding.Scholarly concentration applications were due dec 1st I would give it a couple of weeks before we get placed.
Yeah, I think they can finish the campus placement before you hear back from any concentrations.He’s talking about campus placement. I think it doesn’t necessarily have to do with scholarly concentrations? For example, if they placed you in Rockford and you got accepted to UMED, they would switch your campus placement. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but this is my understanding.
superintroduction
Full Member
If we didn't choose a concentration, would we most likely get placed in Chicago? Still not entirely sure how placements work and if we get a say where we're put
NeedAnotherNap
Full Member
You get to rank the campuses when you’re accepted! You won’t always be placed at your first choice, but they’ll take it into account. The campus you interview at is not necessary the campus you will end up at. Hope that helps!If we didn't choose a concentration, would we most likely get placed in Chicago? Still not entirely sure how placements work and if we get a say where we're put
Literally same. Complete July 20th 3.97 gpa and 521 mcat. Total silence. Now I'm thinking its becuase I didn't apply to any scholarly concentration because I didn't realize it was a thing until nowyea same complete july 14th. 3.9 gpa 512 mcat, total silence
If it makes you feel any better, I have several friends who were in-state applicants that now attend this school who didn't get invites until January. They seem to hold a lot of the IS applicants until the winter. Of course, this is totally anecdotal. But, I wouldn't panic or make too many assumptions right now. They interview like 1/3 of IS applicants... that is a lot considering most of the people in this pool of applicants will have MCAT scores below 510.Literally same. Complete July 20th 3.97 gpa and 521 mcat. Total silence. Now I'm thinking its becuase I didn't apply to any scholarly concentration because I didn't realize it was a thing until now
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Applying to those doesn’t have any bearing on your app, only a very few percent of the students in a class are in any concentrationLiterally same. Complete July 20th 3.97 gpa and 521 mcat. Total silence. Now I'm thinking its becuase I didn't apply to any scholarly concentration because I didn't realize it was a thing until now
Nvrgiveup01
Full Member
+1. Just got that email as well, post interview.Anyone else just got an email about them extending the scholarly concentration deadline? Lol
I think they must've sent it to everyone then. No ii here yet+1. Just got that email as well, post interview.
Nvrgiveup01
Full Member
It doesn't. I didn't apply to one and still got an interview.Are scholarly connection applicants considered in addition to regular MD? Not sure if doing the scholarly connection pre-II has any benefit.
I just got the email also.Are scholarly connection applicants considered in addition to regular MD? Not sure if doing the scholarly connection pre-II has any benefit.
I already submitted my app to both concentrations, but didn’t do so until after getting accepted. They’re separate so won’t affect an II if you don’t apply.
ice cheems
Full Member
When you get two emails from [email protected] but neither of them are updates on your application (complete 8/19). Pain.
Nvrgiveup01
Full Member
I know right? But they only meet and release decisions on the 3rd Thursday of every month unfortunately.When you get two emails from [email protected] but neither of them are updates on your application (complete 8/19). Pain.
ok so based on my undertsanding, me not applying to any of the concentrations (GMED, UMED, etc) did not negatively affect my app? I only applied to CEMED btw. and that is very encouraging to see many IS applicants held till winter. Is there anyone else that can back this up?
Nvrgiveup01
Full Member
I applied to non of them and still got an interview.ok so based on my undertsanding, me not applying to any of the concentrations (GMED, UMED, etc) did not negatively affect my app? I only applied to CEMED btw. and that is very encouraging to see many IS applicants held till winter. Is there anyone else that can back this up?
I applied to non of them and still got an interview.
+1, I didn't apply to any of them and still got an A! They are separate programs and tracks on top of the regular MD program and has no bearing on your MD II (since they have a different admissions team)
Did anyone who has been accepted get a follow up email from the school saying that they are inviting us to apply to a specific scholarly concentration? I just got an email implying that they want me to apply to the CEMED concentration but didn’t mention any of the other ones.
Any accepted student just got an email encouraging them to apply to the CEMED track? Was wondering if this is an automated email sent to everyone or they were sent to people that UIC thinks can benefit from the program.
HAHA literally just posted this same question like 30 seconds after you lol.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nvrgiveup01
Full Member
Any accepted student just got an email encouraging them to apply to the CEMED track? Was wondering if this is an automated email sent to everyone or they were sent to people that UIC thinks can benefit from the program.
Everyone got this email. Accepted applicants and applicants still waiting.Did anyone who has been accepted get a follow up email from the school saying that they are inviting us to apply to a specific scholarly concentration? I just got an email implying that they want me to apply to the CEMED concentration but didn’t mention any of the other ones.
NeedAnotherNap
Full Member
Any accepted student just got an email encouraging them to apply to the CEMED track? Was wondering if this is an automated email sent to everyone or they were sent to people that UIC thinks can benefit from the program.
I also got the exact same!Did anyone who has been accepted get a follow up email from the school saying that they are inviting us to apply to a specific scholarly concentration? I just got an email implying that they want me to apply to the CEMED concentration but didn’t mention any of the other ones.
That might be the case. I just assumed since some are only for specific campusesYeah, I think they can finish the campus placement before you hear back from any concentrations.
yeahDid anyone who has been accepted get a follow up email from the school saying that they are inviting us to apply to a specific scholarly concentration? I just got an email implying that they want me to apply to the CEMED concentration but didn’t mention any of the other ones.
crazeeaboutcoffee
Full Member
Interview invite today!! So excited, this is one of my top choices.
Any advice on VITA, and on interview day? How long was interview day? any help is much appreciated! Thank you all!
Any advice on VITA, and on interview day? How long was interview day? any help is much appreciated! Thank you all!