2020-2021 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don’t get your hopes down yet. I got my A in Nov (interview 10/7) and I have a 505 MCAT with a 3.5 GPA. I am also IS. You can do this. I believe in you
That’s reassuring! Congrats on your acceptance! ☺️

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Weird question for anyone who is willing to give me their opinion.
I am still waiting to hear back from IU, but I am considering dropping my calculus class that I am enrolled in currently since IU does not require it. It is not listed on my primary or secondary application. So I just want some outside perspective on if dropping this class would be negative in any way towards my app?

Weird question for anyone who is willing to give me their opinion.
I am still waiting to hear back from IU, but I am considering dropping my calculus class that I am enrolled in currently since IU does not require it. It is not listed on my primary or secondary application. So I just want some outside perspective on if dropping this class would be negative in any way towards my app?
I mean, I'm certainly not an expert, but I wouldn't think that would be a problem if you didn't list it in AMCAS. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in...

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, I'm certainly not an expert, but I wouldn't think that would be a problem if you didn't list it in AMCAS. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in...
First of all, I love your username 😂.

Second, I’d check with the prerequisites IUSM requires for its applicants to make sure you don’t need that specific class. If it’s not a prerequisite, it’s not going to affect your application for consideration.

• Haha
First of all, I love your username 😂.

Second, I’d check with the prerequisites IUSM requires for its applicants to make sure you don’t need that specific class. If it’s not a prerequisite, it’s not going to affect your application for consideration.

Thanks for the response! I checked msar and it just says recommended for calculus and on their actual website, it is not listed at all. I think I am just being a little neurotic, but wanted to hear some other opinions about it.
And worst case scenario, I could take it in the summer if required at a community college.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone on the west coast that was accepted received their acceptance package yet by mail/how long did it take?

I'm not sure if this has been answered before (I looked through the forum and didn't see anything), but does IU give anything to the incoming class? iPads, laptops, etc? I was going to purchase an iPad but thought that it'd be silly to do so if IU supplies the students with one.

I did it took like 3 days after the email
Interesting, it's been over a week and I still havent gotten mine (Im in AZ). I'll just keep waiting and see if it comes in!

Does getting the your application is complete email mean you’re going to hear back the following 15th? I just got mine today and interviewed earlier this month and have had everything completed since that interview.

Does getting the your application is complete email mean you’re going to hear back the following 15th? I just got mine today and interviewed earlier this month and have had everything completed since that interview.
I don't think so. I think some people have waited months to hear. I think it's just when they verify everything and get review from interviewers and everything.

I'm not sure if this has been answered before (I looked through the forum and didn't see anything), but does IU give anything to the incoming class? iPads, laptops, etc? I was going to purchase an iPad but thought that it'd be silly to do so if IU supplies the students with one.
IU doesn’t give any tech to the incoming class. More info to make sure your tech is compatible can be found on the IUSM tech page.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does Indiana provide full ride merit scholarships?
I don't think so - accepted students recently got an email about merit aid and it said they award the top 12% of the class (based on a holistic review of MCAT, GPA, and interview scores) merit scholarships that are ~$18k per year for IS students and ~$30k per year for OOS students

Any accepted students' portal say FAFSA and/or background check was received yet? Mine still say not yet received

Any accepted students' portal say FAFSA and/or background check was received yet? Mine still say not yet received
I believe they said FAFSA would not appear as completed until March when they begin sending the financial aid packages. I'm not sure about background checks.

I don't think so - accepted students recently got an email about merit aid and it said they award the top 12% of the class (based on a holistic review of MCAT, GPA, and interview scores) merit scholarships that are ~$18k per year for IS students and ~$30k per year for OOS students
I wonder what kind of scores we are talking about for the top 12% of the class. Anyone have any idea?

Hello all. My interview experience went very well, I really enjoyed it and my interviewers. Wishing everyone else a smooth interview day as well!

Hello all. My interview experience went very well, I really enjoyed it and my interviewers. Wishing everyone else a smooth interview day as well!
Any advice? Anything will help. I have my interview in less than 2 weeks and could use some pointers! Thank you.

Any advice? Anything will help. I have my interview in less than 2 weeks and could use some pointers! Thank you.
I have my interview in less than two weeks as well. I have been reading over the core competencies, questions posted on SDN from previous interviewees, and looking over my application. I am nervous as well, but we got this! Fighting!!!! ^_^

I have my interview in less than two weeks as well. I have been reading over the core competencies, questions posted on SDN from previous interviewees, and looking over my application. I am nervous as well, but we got this! Fighting!!!! ^_^
I haven’t done a 2-on-1 yet this cycle so it is nerve racking and I feel like a lot of people on this thread felt surprised by some the critical thinking of some of the questions so I am trying to make sure I can answer different scenarios!

I had good interviews in the past thanks to reading Dr. Miller’s book called Nailing the Medical School Interview. I’m using it to prepare for this interview too

Also, I had a question for anyone that has interviewed already. Under the interview tab it shows a specific campus that we interview at. Is that just given to us based on campus interview availability, or is this the campus they think is the best fit for us?

Also, if they ask why IU, is it wrong to talk about what the other campuses offer or should we talk about the school as a whole? Thank you!

it’s based on the campus interview availability. Talk about the school in whichever way you want. Asking questions about different campuses is a plus if you have them. Just be aware they may not have answers for you about other campuses as the majority of the info they will know about is the main campus: Indy.

it’s based on the campus interview availability. Talk about the school in whichever way you want. Asking questions about different campuses is a plus if you have them. Just be aware they may not have answers for you about other campuses as the majority of the info they will know about is the main campus: Indy.
Make sense, thank you!

Learn specific point about the school and why you want to go there. Be personable and authentic self! Know things about your interviewer and keep in mind that you are logger out off the portal right at 40 minutes.

Learn specific point about the school and why you want to go there. Be personable and authentic self! Know things about your interviewer and keep in mind that you are logger out off the portal right at 40 minutes.
Like In general, were the questions about ethics and stuff?

Hey everyone, planning to attending here in the fall and I was wondering if any students could share their experience/provide some insight on how the program is! Do you enjoy the environment?

Hey everyone, planning to attending here in the fall and I was wondering if any students could share their experience/provide some insight on how the program is! Do you enjoy the environment?
First of all, welcome! You're going to have a blast. I love the environment and couldn't imagine going to any other program. Med school is truly what you make of it. Yes, you'll always have things to study or to be involved in but honestly, it's the cohort that makes it so much fun. The faculty and advisors are all rooting for you and are very accessible. They truly care about you and are there for you. If you have specific questions, feel free to DM me.

Hi there! I'm an MS1 at a regional campus. I am extremely happy to be at IU. Pass/Fail for preclinical classes is awesome, I don't feel like I have to compete to get a shiny dongle on my grade. It fosters an environment that (compared to my friends at other med schools) has far less pressure and is much more collaborative. IU also offers unlimited free tutoring from upperclassmen, and they get paid well enough to enjoy doing it. I will admit that I may be biased because I am more of a "journey" not the destination kind of person. I appreciate that my life isn't made miserable during medical school and that I have time to do what I want and there are weekends where I don't have to study at all. I also don't feel pressured to be anything other than myself, which is wonderful. I feel like the way the curriculum is set up, we definitely have to stand on our own two feet but there's a great balance of support and resources. To be fair, I definitely have classmates who whine every step of the way and overanalyze and question the process every step of the way. Sometimes I can't tell if they are just venting to cope with the responsibilities of med school or they actually don't like it. From what I know, complaining is a common trait for med students, so take what you will from that!

Reactions: 10 users
For those who received a decision post-II, what was the length between the time you received the email that your application was ready to go before the committee and your decision?

For those who received a decision post-II, what was the length between the time you received the email that your application was ready to go before the committee and your decision?
I interviewed the first week of October, got the complete email like 10 days after the interview, and I was accepted in November.

I interviewed the first week of October, got the complete email like 10 days after the interview, and I was accepted in November.
I received my completed email on October 22 and still have not heard a word... just wish they'd update me about a rejection/waitlist if that's what they're thinking for my app

Anyone else get a "dear applicant" invitation to dine with a medical students (via zoom)?

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone who interviewed 1/13 get an email saying their application went in front of an adcom yet?

I am asking because its been 22 days now since my interview and only email I got was a post interview survey

Last edited:
Has any accepted applicants pre matriculation requirements been updated to reflect completed? ive done FAFSA, transcripts .. with no verification

For those of you who had multiple interviewers listed on your interview tab in the portal: was it still a one-on-one format or was it more like a panel?

And is it open file or closed file?

For those of you who had multiple interviewers listed on your interview tab in the portal: was it still a one-on-one format or was it more like a panel?

And is it open file or closed file?
I haven't interviewed yet (17th of this month) but my friend did! They had a 2 on 1 interview and it was open file. They asked about her research etc. but mentioned it was more conversational. Although I've seen it may depend on your interviewers. Good luck!