2020-2021 Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have not received the email yet. Does it mean anything different than just being “under review” in the portal?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have not received the email yet. Does it mean anything different than just being “under review” in the portal?
I would guess it means they just haven’t gotten to your app yet and marked it complete?

Is anyone here a current student or someone in the region who could speak to the area of either campus? I'm from the northeast and haven't really been to Tennessee (aside from Nashville) and I'm curious what the area is like!

I went to undergrad near Knoxville and loved the area/stayed after. It's especially beautiful during the fall about an hour away from the Smokies or so if you enjoy hiking (I am a bit biased here). Locals joke about the weather during certain times of the year that you can get all seasons in one day :). Happy to provide more info if you have specific questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No one recieved an II yet? Looks like in this forum it may happen in the next week or two.

For those who have been marked complete in the portal, how long did it take for the status to get updated? I've been stuck in "you're application is under review" for a few weeks now.

For those who have been marked complete in the portal, how long did it take for the status to get updated? I've been stuck in "you're application is under review" for a few weeks now.
Same. I haven't received a confirmation email or anything, but when I log into my account it says that my application is under review.

Finally got an email saying they are reviewing my application for a possible II...
Did your application portal always say that your application is under review? I submitted my secondary 7/15 and still haven't received any sort of confirmation from them about anything

Did your application portal always say that your application is under review? I submitted my secondary 7/15 and still haven't received any sort of confirmation from them about anything

I submitted my secondary 7/14.. I received a file is complete email on 8/5 however, I am still under reveiw in the portal. Did you get the file is complete email??

I submitted my secondary 7/14.. I received a file is complete email on 8/5 however, I am still under reveiw in the portal. Did you get the file is complete email??
no i didn't...is this a bad sign lol

I haven't gotten a file complete email yet either and I submitted on 7/9... should I be worried?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think so.. seems like things are all over the place right now.

I don't think so.. seems like things are all over the place right now.
I just wonder how they are going through the secondaries. If they are looking at the chronologically or in a different way? Hmm I guess time will tell

Yes it always said it and I just received an email. No portal change.

I just wonder how they are going through the secondaries. If they are looking at the chronologically or in a different way? Hmm I guess time will tell
I'm unsure if they're going through it chronologically and there is an issue with the email notification, or if they are going by some other metric.

I used it as an essay to talk about my baddddd undergrad GPA. Fell on my sword, took full responsibility. Hope it makes a difference.

I also used this space to talk about my current and planned post-bacc work...

Question for you both because seeing your posts is making me think I approached the first prompt incorrectly. I took “time and energy” to mean the rigor of med school so I explained how I did a SMP to properly prepare myself academically after shortcomings in undergrad. Also discussed some non academic preparation. Normally I would explain academic discrepancies in the optional section but I did that in #1. Isn’t what you guys explained in your optional essays part of preparing for med school? I’m just trying to understand if I need to change my response for #1.... I could go into more detail about why I struggled in undergrad for #2 but it will overlap with #1 easily. Orrrrr is it safe to keep what I have and leave my optional blank (I tried a “why LMU” essay but it’s kinda redundant given the whole meaning behind my PS so just gonna leave it alone).

Any feedback is nice. Was just about to submit when I came on here and saw this lol

I went “balls to the wall” in my optional essay, talking about how I failed and recovered. I feel better when I’m honest and transparent. I’m also mid thirties and I do not have patience for double speak and beating around the bush; be upfront always.

I went “balls to the wall” in my optional essay, talking about how I failed and recovered. I feel better when I’m honest and transparent. I’m also mid thirties and I do not have patience for double speak and beating around the bush; be upfront always.

lol, I’m sure they will receive your honesty well... I’m just trying to gauge if discussing past failures in #1 is an okay approach to the question. or do I need to rework it.

lol, I’m sure they will receive your honesty well... I’m just trying to gauge if discussing past failures in #1 is an okay approach to the question. or do I need to rework it.

I wouldn’t address past failures in the first one. I would save that for the optional essay. But that’s my opinion.

Question for you both because seeing your posts is making me think I approached the first prompt incorrectly. I took “time and energy” to mean the rigor of med school so I explained how I did a SMP to properly prepare myself academically after shortcomings in undergrad. Also discussed some non academic preparation. Normally I would explain academic discrepancies in the optional section but I did that in #1. Isn’t what you guys explained in your optional essays part of preparing for med school? I’m just trying to understand if I need to change my response for #1.... I could go into more detail about why I struggled in undergrad for #2 but it will overlap with #1 easily. Orrrrr is it safe to keep what I have and leave my optional blank (I tried a “why LMU” essay but it’s kinda redundant given the whole meaning behind my PS so just gonna leave it alone).

Any feedback is nice. Was just about to submit when I came on here and saw this lol
I messaged you

i feel like those failures have been part of the time and energy that you had to helping you get into med school....i think it's fine

To piggyback off future above, there is no way right or wrong way to tackle this. I think the limitation is we have not read your essays so it’s kind of tough.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you should use the optional essay to show how great you are, to show LMU that you fit the mission statement, to show that you will be a “plus” for the school. That’s what I did back then, I showed that I was the right fit for the school and I gave them reasons for why they should choose me.
I wouldn’t focus on your weaknesses, they already know what they are. Focus on your strengths and the positive sides, on why you want to attend DCOM, stuff like that...
I’m sure it will look WAY better than saying, “oh my gpa or MCAT isn’t that good because of X, Y, and Z reasons”. Like, regardless of your reason, everyone have their own problems, and honestly med schools don’t really care, they do take factors into consideration, but they don’t really care...so focus on where you are strong and why they should pick you.
Am I saying you shouldn’t talk AT ALL about your weakness? Definitely not, if you really feel like you should mention those, then go ahead, but try to focus on the other positive stuff I mentioned above.

@dxu @premed8218 I did a combination of both so I think I'm fine. I tend to write my essays and (like them) but then start obsessing over if they're right/perfect as soon as I get near the submit button (it's very annoying lol). so hearing others' approaches is helpful sometimes. but I did what both of you suggested so I'm going to chill out now :)

REQUIRED: Please write and ATTACH the short essay addressing ONE of the following questions:
  1. Medical school requires a huge commitment in time and energy. How have you prepared for this commitment? OR
  2. If you are a re-applicant please tell us what you have done to strengthen your application.
OPTIONAL: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know that you haven't explained on your AACOMAS application?
Hi! this may be a dumb question but as a "re-applicant" does that imply in general or to the school itself? I am a re-applicant but I did not apply here the first time so I wasn't sure if that counts?

Hi! this may be a dumb question but as a "re-applicant" does that imply in general or to the school itself? I am a re-applicant but I did not apply here the first time so I wasn't sure if that counts?

school only is my understanding

Hey I have already submitted my secondary, long time ago. How do I know if I applied to one campus or both? I hear they have a campus in both Harrogate and Knoxville?

Hey I have already submitted my secondary, long time ago. How do I know if I applied to one campus or both? I hear they have a campus in both Harrogate and Knoxville?
In your primary application, it asks what is your preference, so you just have to pick. At least that’s how it was last year.

Just an FYI I found on LMU's website regarding interviews - "The DCOM interview cycle starts in late August and concludes in April".

Just an FYI I found on LMU's website regarding interviews - "The DCOM interview cycle starts in late August and concludes in April".
Also in their frequently asked questions:
"I received an email notifying me that my file is complete. When can I expect to hear a decision about a possible interview? This depends on our application volume. If you do not receive an update from us within six weeks, feel free to contact us."

Also in their frequently asked questions:
"I received an email notifying me that my file is complete. When can I expect to hear a decision about a possible interview? This depends on our application volume. If you do not receive an update from us within six weeks, feel free to contact us."

should I email them if I’ve not received a “complete” email?

Wondering this too. No complete email, but they replied to a question I had about LORs saying the letters I have are sufficient, so I can’t think of anything else they would be waiting on.

It's been about 3 weeks since I submitted my secondary/mine still says in review. I also have not received a complete email but am waiting just a bit longer personally. If you would feel more at ease to call them I'd say go for it. I've called them in the past and corresponded via email and they've been responsive/helpful.

same here...I'm not going to email them just yet though. Maybe next week...feel like covid is really delaying stuff

It took almost exactly 4 weeks from the date I submitted my secondary to the email advising that my application was complete. Doubt it is a hard schedule, but another data point at least.

No one received an II yet?
I just received my complete email this AM.
I submitted my secondary on August 3rd. Wondering how long after the complete email I should expect that R or II

I finished my secondary application last year by mid August ish. I received and interview invitation about a week and a half later. I interviewed by early September, I think I was the second or third group of students interviewing that cycle. I hope this gives some comparison.

It’s been four weeks since I submitted my secondary. No compete email.

Just saw on a post in the medical students forum that LMU-DCOM fired one of their deans for allowing students to do a white coats for black lives event. They sent an email to students saying they are not allowed to voice opinions and be active in the current movement... not a great look for this school :/