2020-2021 Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just saw on a post in the medical students forum that LMU-DCOM fired one of their deans for allowing students to do a white coats for black lives event. They sent an email to students saying they are not allowed to voice opinions and be active in the current movement... not a great look for this school :/
can you post the link?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw the post as well, but it was posted by someone with no affiliation to the school so I am not sure how reliable the information is. Are there any current students who would be able to comment?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just saw on a post in the medical students forum that LMU-DCOM fired one of their deans for allowing students to do a white coats for black lives event. They sent an email to students saying they are not allowed to voice opinions and be active in the current movement... not a great look for this school :/
Yikess..... any current students please confirm or deny this? I would be hesitant to accept an II from this school (given they even offer me one lmao) if this is true.

That the dean in question no longer works there is public information (has been removed from university directory). Can confirm there was a small protest this summer and the info on the change.org petition is all accurate.

Can’t confirm that he was fired for his approval of the protest, but......

I’m also not affiliated with the school, but I lived there until recently and I know a bunch of current students. They’re all pretty shaken.

• Sad
Can confirm. But highly doubt his termination was related based off of the tone in his email. All of the faculty stands behind him as does the student body.

concerning but not overly. Still take the A if I get that far. No question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes me strongly reconsider my app

If you’d rather reapply than go here, then withdraw your app now. You don’t want to turn down an acceptance and then reapply. But as I think most have said - if LMU is your only A, it’s still better to take it than reapply. You’ll be a doctor at the end of it.

If you’re thinking about it, I recommend you call admissions and ask about it. Don’t make your decision solely based on what’s on an anonymous forum. Can’t hurt if you’re preparing to withdraw anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
If you’d rather reapply than go here, then withdraw your app now. You don’t want to turn down an acceptance and then reapply. But as I think most have said - if LMU is your only A, it’s still better to take it than reapply. You’ll be a doctor at the end of it.

If you’re thinking about it, I recommend you call admissions and ask about it. Don’t make your decision solely based on what’s on an anonymous forum. Can’t hurt if you’re preparing to withdraw anyway.
Only a consideration. I’m active in my community so it sticks in my ear a little. But I can do more good as a doc so I’d go there no question in reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

i agree with you lol at this point i just want to get into a medical school

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the II!! TN resident, was able to schedule for next Friday the 28th

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I submitted mine on 7/9 and just got the complete email yesterday lol

I just called and apparently one of my LOR was not accepted. But I asked them to recheck it, and then they accepted it. If it's been over a month or so and you haven't received a complete email, call them to check if they have everything. I just got the complete email 2 minutes after my call. Totally worth it and the lady was super friendly lol

Reactions: 4 users
I just called and apparently one of my LOR was not accepted. But I asked them to recheck it, and then they accepted it. If it's been over a month or so and you haven't received a complete email, call them to check if they have everything. I just got the complete email 2 minutes after my call. Totally worth it and the lady was super friendly lol
Same here haha

This happened to me as well!! Thank you so much for this I would never have thought to call them haha, literally got the complete email a minute after talking to admissions!!

Also for anyone who is wondering, the interviews are blind with two interviewers and they are 25 minutes long. The entire process is about three or four hours with presentations!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got a “file complete” email after emailing to ask them about it. I submitted my secondary 7/17.

Yeah I just spoke to them on the phone and she said that my file was completed this morning but I haven't received an email yet. She said to wait and be patient, I submitted mine all the way back on July 7

That the dean in question no longer works there is public information (has been removed from university directory). Can confirm there was a small protest this summer and the info on the change.org petition is all accurate.

Can’t confirm that he was fired for his approval of the protest, but......

I’m also not affiliated with the school, but I lived there until recently and I know a bunch of current students. They’re all pretty shaken.

A lot of the alumni were pretty shaken up about this as well, including myself. East Tennessee is a deep, deep red part of the country, but, when I was at DCOM, it was full of all ideals and beliefs. Granted, it’s been awhile, but I was very surprised to see this email banning students from being involved in “social justice”. It’s a good question to bring up when you interview if nothing else. You’re better off knowing what you’re getting into.

Oh and good luck to everyone applying. I’m probably not a lot of help anymore since I’m so far out, but I’m happy to answer whatever I can.

Congrats! Was it via a phone call or email?
They sent me an email! Gave the option to email or call to schedule and the lady I spoke to on the phone was so nice. Very excited for next Friday :)

Just got the II!! TN resident, was able to schedule for next Friday the 28th
Does anyone know what kind of questions they typically ask? I flipped through last years thread but couldn't really find much. They did 25 min interviews last year as well so I'm sure its probably nothing crazy but just want to get prepared!

Emailed Ms. Porter and “complete” email sent shortly after.

what email can I contact about not receiving a complete notification yet?