2020-2021 Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They said hold emails will go out tn as well right? So i guess its not over until the email goes out? Idk good luck out there, team

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully this won’t happen to y’all.... but on my day in February, I didn’t receive a call or email. I had to reach out to MUSC myself (and I was not the only student that happened to). Sooo just be aware that this could happen to you all as well. Once I got in contact with them, I was told that I was on hold like the others who didn’t get the call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who still hasn’t heard a thing ? 🙋🏽‍♀️

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who has been placed on hold previously been accepted? Or is that basically just a waitlist position

Who still hasn’t heard a thing ? 🙋🏽‍♀️
Did you interview recently? I was a re-interview and they said they would send me an update via email today, but it's getting towards the end of the day and I haven't heard a peep.

Did you interview recently? I was a re-interview and they said they would send me an update via email today, but it's getting towards the end of the day and I haven't heard a peep.
I also reinterviewed (one of my interviews on the interview day got cut off on their end so I had to redo it). I haven’t heard anything either, but was told I would either be called or emailed today.

Long time stalker of this thread. Got the call last night around 6:45. Dr. Blumer said they had just finished the committee meeting. Hope that helps folks in the future deal with the stress of waiting the day of. They told us they would call 4:30-6 in my interview group, so I was at my wits end by the time they called.

Best of luck to everyone going forward! This is my only A out of the 25 schools I applied to, so I know the pain of getting your torch snuffed!

Here are my stats because people usually ask:
3.98 Undergrad (public state school)
3.87 Grad (Physical therapy school)
3 years working as a PT
515 MCAT
Out of state with close ties (Dad lives an hour outside of Charleston)
Submitted secondary in October
Interviewed 3/19

Reactions: 1 users
I was reinterviewed and told I would get an email last night. I got nothing from them.

@pt2md? congratulations!! I think we're gonna get along if I get in, haha. huge interest/modest professional history in fitness before returning to school. would love to hear if/how you plan to implement exercise into your practice. I am currently waiting to hear back from the MD/PhD program here. best of luck everyone, hope to meet you all in the fall :)

Has anyone seen/made a facebook page for Class of 2025?

Looks like #HoldGang is exactly 200 people based on that last email 😂 best of luck to everyone

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
199 people is honestly so many.

Based off last year's stats from MSAR, they interviewed 375 people and 173 matriculated.

Assuming they already have the 173 students, that leaves 202 students. That means only 3 people failed the interviews using just last year's stats.

Even assuming they increased their interviews 20% because applications increased 20%,, that makes 450 people got interviewed, 173 got in. That means only 78 people did not go to "on hold" status.

Idk about y'all, but I feel like the chances of making the wait list have diminished.
I was looking at the thread for the last cycle, and I think they matriculated 190 or more? In last year’s thread they kept posting the chart of the number of accepted students. And the last screenshot showed 190 accepted students. The amount of accepted students is definitely flexible at least. I don’t know how much credibility that chart holds, but it’s something to consider at least.

I was looking at the thread for the last cycle, and I think they matriculated 190 or more? In last year’s thread they kept posting the chart of the number of accepted students. And the last screenshot showed 190 accepted students. The amount of accepted students is definitely flexible at least. I don’t know how much credibility that chart holds, but it’s something to consider at least.
Mmkay so, accepted vs. matriculated is totally different! Yes, 173 people matriculated because the class size is 180, the other 7 are the MD-PhD's. More than 180 people will get an acceptance because people choose to go to different schools or even decide not to go to medical school at all. 200 people is a lot, but not all those people are even going to make the waitlist, unfortunately. And then, no one really knows how many of the waitlisted applicants will get in.

Mmkay so, accepted vs. matriculated is totally different! Yes, 173 people matriculated because the class size is 180, the other 7 are the MD-PhD's. More than 180 people will get an acceptance because people choose to go to different schools or even decide not to go to Easter basket at all. 200 people is a lot, but not all those people are even going to make the purgatory, unfortunately. And then, no one really knows how many of the waitlisted Peeps will get in.
Yeah, everyone last year was trying to crack the mystery of that chart. I think that in the chart, accepted was people who committed to MUSC, and the “in progress” column was people who had been accepted but had not committed yet. But nobody knows for sure I suppose.

I spoke with Director Kerr this morning, so I might have some sparing info to add. She said they performed 40 more interviews this year than last year (up from 370 to 410), and that the average MCAT has jumped from 509 to 513. She said the only two options post-interview are accepted or "on hold," but that the "on hold" group does not all transfer to the waitlist. She was hesitant to give me exact numbers, but it seems like the waitlist averages about 100 people, so about half of the 200 on the email list will be rejected in April. She said they usually over-book the incoming class with the expectation that several will withdraw, but that they have had less than 5 withdrawals thus far (which she said is far less than usual), so they have only accepted the number of seats they have available thus far, which of course means that any withdrawals at this point will result in an acceptance for someone on the wait-list. She said they normally have 30-50 withdrawals, but I was unable to ascertain whether that is throughout the whole process, or once the wait-list is created. Nonetheless, it seems like they are expecting fewer withdrawals than usual this year (maybe 20-30), so AT BEST I would expect 1/4 of the wait-list to ultimately receive an acceptance.

Reactions: 3 users
They just sent out an apology email about giving out all the emails of the people on hold and assured us that it was recalled... but anyone who got that email can still see everything so idk what recalling it does lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
For people who have been accepted, have they asked for the deposit yet? I tried emailing them today to make sure I didn’t miss something and they just resent the e-mail with the scholarship info. I don’t want them to kick me because I didn’t pay my deposit on time or something.

Edit: Maybe you don't deposit until you commit through AMCAS on April 30th? Also, anyone who was accepted on March 30th, has the choose your medical school tool showed up on AMCAS yet so you can choose "plan to enroll"? MUSC is my first acceptance and I do not have the button yet, but I know they want us to "plan to enroll" before April 30th.

Last edited:
For people who have been accepted, have they asked for the deposit yet? I tried emailing them today to make sure I didn’t miss something and they just resent the e-mail with the scholarship info. I don’t want them to kick me because I didn’t pay my deposit on time or something.

Edit: Maybe you don't deposit until you commit through AMCAS on April 30th? Also, anyone who was accepted on March 30th, has the choose your medical school tool showed up on AMCAS yet so you can choose "plan to enroll"? MUSC is my first acceptance and I do not have the button yet, but I know they want us to "plan to enroll" before April 30th.
When you get your acceptance packet via email, they will ask you to pay the deposit within two weeks! They will send the form with all the info and instructions. Hope this helps!

Have any of y'all heard anything about when we should expect to hear about scholarships/financial aid? I feel like the "early April" we were told about in the email is ending pretty soon here!

This was my #1 school- just got an R :( congratulations to everyone who got in, and Good luck to everyone still fighting the fight :)

I got on the waitlist! Any idea how many people are typically on the waitlist?

Waitlisted! This is going to be the most agonizing month(s).

Also, I have a friend who got sent the rejection email and then the waitlist email right afterwards. She emailed Dr. Kerr and she said it was a mistake and that she was actually waitlisted. Just putting that out there in case it happened to anyone else.

Waitlisted as well. I heard they usually take 50-70 people on the waitlist and admit around 30. But the numbers change year to year.

Waitlisted! This is going to be the most agonizing month(s).

Also, I have a friend who got sent the rejection email and then the waitlist email right afterwards. She emailed Dr. Kerr and she said it was a mistake and that she was actually waitlisted. Just putting that out there in case it happened to anyone else.
I got the double email and luckily I was waitlisted too, 'twas scary.

Those waitlisted, would anyone share their stats?

Those waitlisted, would anyone share their stats?
IS
3.62 uGPA (3.48 sGPA)
3.88 gGPA
509 MCAT
1 year of scribing, undergrad research, free clinic volunteering, master’s program.

Anyone who attended the second look session last night: did they say anything about when financial/scholarship information would be released?

Someone posted the link for this a while ago but said you had to be in MUSC's network to view it....I just happen to work here though so I though I'd share for those of us on the waitlist!
1618503470230.png

Reactions: 2 users
That doesn’t seem that accurate when ~200 people were on hold so there wouldn’t be more than 200 on the waitlist.
Maybe there isn’t a column for waitlist and that first column is just a combination of all the on hold people or something? It would be weird that they wouldn’t move those who weren’t waitlisted to “not offered” though...

regardless, I believe pending is people who have been accepted but they haven’t decided to go to MUSC yet.

Thanks to everyone who is trying to decipher the waitlist situation. How incredible that the MCAT average jumped four points in one year - what a wild representation of the increasingly difficult nature of med school admissions

I was. But they told me I wasn’t supposed to be when I got the call
???? Why would they say that?? Why wouldn't they have just quietly skipped over your name? Very fortunate!

Last edited:
509 to 513 jump in one year? Not sure if I believe it tbh

Last edited:
My friend who made it on the WL but isnt on SDN wanted me to see if anyone knows when there might be some WL movement?