2020-2021 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For current students:

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

3. How is Ann Arbor? What are some misconceptions about it? What are some of the negative aspects about it? Does it feel too small and / or dominated by UMich?

4. What is research like there? More clinical or basic emphasized? Competitive?

Reactions: 1 user
@prufrock2891 I'm not a medical student, but I am familiar with the health system and area and can give some input. I hope current students respond with more detail and give you what you're looking for, too!

There's a huge range in construction dates and styles of the facilities. For example, there are some labs in the Medical Science Research Buildings and one of the Medical Science Buildings are a bit older, but have everything you'd need to conduct research, attend lecture, visit someone's office, etc. But there are also stunning, fairly new facilities also devoted to research and professor's offices -- the Biomedical Science Research Building (wet lab space) is one of the brightest, most modern buildings on campus, with floor-to-ceiling windows in each lab. The Taubman Health Sciences Library is also beautiful and very, very new. The library is exclusive to certain members of the campus community on off hours, so medical students practically have free rein of a number of small group study rooms (with TV's and whiteboard walls, can be reserved), individual study carrels, and large classrooms that can also be used for group study. I personally can't imagine a better environment for studying.

The main hospitals are directly connected to the library and medical school buildings. They're also a blend of "newness." The main University Hospital and Cancer Center aren't anything special. Again, they have everything you could need and are very large, but not new or flashy. The children's/women's hospital, Mott, is newly constructed and extremely, extremely nice. Same for the Cardiovascular Center. For medical students interested in ophtho, Kellogg Eye Center is a short walk from the main hospitals and is also new.

Ann Arbor is a great place to live, really for almost every type of person. If you like history, tradition, and the fun of a college town, there's no better place. Campus is very lively during the academic year. If you prefer to be distanced from the undergrads and want a more laid back experience, the West Side is a lovely historical residential area while still in walking distance from downtown. Those with a family should know that Ann Arbor has stellar public schools and a frankly insane amount of parks/green space. I'm difficult to impress with food, so I may not be able to speak for everyone's culinary experience in Ann Arbor. If you're from an area with diverse and creative food, you will be a bit disappointed by the selection in Ann Arbor, although there are some good spots. If you're not very picky, you'll probably be delighted by the restaurant options! In my opinion, the best food is in Ypsilanti, a ~15min drive from Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor has a reputation for being very progressive. I think this is generally true. It's certainly the most progressive city in Michigan, but it is also a very wealthy city and not terribly diverse, so do with that what you will.

Negatives of Ann Arbor will depend on the person. It is a small city -- half the population of Cincinnati or Pittsburgh, comparable to Pasadena. Especially for its small size, it has a lot to offer, but some people may find themselves wishing for a bit more beyond UMich. In my opinion, the identity of Ann Arbor is inseparable from UMich. Sometimes it can feel like the city is an extension of the university, especially when most public school students end up at UMich, and many UMich alum stick around. The campus and city blend together. For those looking for a more urban experience, Detroit is a 45min-1hr drive away and makes for a good day trip. Ann Arbor is also not very diverse at all. As I mentioned, it is quite wealthy (especially the undergrad population), which can be isolating for those from less affluent backgrounds. However, the hospital is the go-to for cases from across the state and region, so the patient populations seen by Michigan Medicine are a bit more diverse than seen in Ann Arbor.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@prufrock2891 I'm not a medical student, but I am familiar with the health system and area and can give some input. I hope current students respond with more detail and give you what you're looking for, too!

There's a huge range in construction dates and styles of the facilities. For example, there are some labs in the Medical Science Research Buildings and one of the Medical Science Buildings are a bit older, but have everything you'd need to conduct research, attend lecture, visit someone's office, etc. But there are also stunning, fairly new facilities also devoted to research and professor's offices -- the Biomedical Science Research Building (wet lab space) is one of the brightest, most modern buildings on campus, with floor-to-ceiling windows in each lab. The Taubman Health Sciences Library is also beautiful and very, very new. The library is exclusive to certain members of the campus community on off hours, so medical students practically have free rein of a number of small group study rooms (with TV's and whiteboard walls, can be reserved), individual study carrels, and large classrooms that can also be used for group study. I personally can't imagine a better environment for studying.

The main hospitals are directly connected to the library and medical school buildings. They're also a blend of "newness." The main University Hospital and Cancer Center aren't anything special. Again, they have everything you could need and are very large, but not new or flashy. The children's/women's hospital, Mott, is newly constructed and extremely, extremely nice. Same for the Cardiovascular Center. For medical students interested in ophtho, Kellogg Eye Center is a short walk from the main hospitals and is also new.

Ann Arbor is a great place to live, really for almost every type of person. If you like history, tradition, and the fun of a college town, there's no better place. Campus is very lively during the academic year. If you prefer to be distanced from the undergrads and want a more laid back experience, the West Side is a lovely historical residential area while still in walking distance from downtown. Those with a family should know that Ann Arbor has stellar public schools and a frankly insane amount of parks/green space. I'm difficult to impress with food, so I may not be able to speak for everyone's culinary experience in Ann Arbor. If you're from an area with diverse and creative food, you will be a bit disappointed by the selection in Ann Arbor, although there are some good spots. If you're not very picky, you'll probably be delighted by the restaurant options! In my opinion, the best food is in Ypsilanti, a ~15min drive from Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor has a reputation for being very progressive. I think this is generally true. It's certainly the most progressive city in Michigan, but it is also a very wealthy city and not terribly diverse, so do with that what you will.

Negatives of Ann Arbor will depend on the person. It is a small city -- half the population of Cincinnati or Pittsburgh, comparable to Pasadena. Especially for its small size, it has a lot to offer, but some people may find themselves wishing for a bit more beyond UMich. In my opinion, the identity of Ann Arbor is inseparable from UMich. Sometimes it can feel like the city is an extension of the university, especially when most public school students end up at UMich, and many UMich alum stick around. The campus and city blend together. For those looking for a more urban experience, Detroit is a 45min-1hr drive away and makes for a good day trip. Ann Arbor is also not very diverse at all. As I mentioned, it is quite wealthy (especially the undergrad population), which can be isolating for those from less affluent backgrounds. However, the hospital is the go-to for cases from across the state and region, so the patient populations seen by Michigan Medicine are a bit more diverse than seen in Ann Arbor.

Thank you so much for this write-up. I definitely appreciate it. I think I'd like most everything about the education but living in Ann Arbor is what might be tough for me -- I went to undergrad at similar B1G institution, where the university enveloped the entire community. Not sure I liked that, but of course I am putting the cart in front of the horse lol. Thank you!

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

For current students:

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

3. How is Ann Arbor? What are some misconceptions about it? What are some of the negative aspects about it? Does it feel too small and / or dominated by UMich?

4. What is research like there? More clinical or basic emphasized? Competitive?

I'm an incoming M1 and have only lived in AA for a few weeks now, but I'll try to offer as much as I can from my position:

1.) Right now with COVID, everything is a little upside down. We are currently majority online with once or twice a week in-person sessions for doctoring and anatomy labs through the fall (and probably the rest of the year). The year 1 curriculum is in large part lecture drive, with some PBL thrown into the mix. However, there is very little "mandatory" curriculum during M1. Nothing mandatory will typically be scheduled on Mondays and Fridays, so if you need to travel, you can make the time. All lectures are recorded and the only times your attendance is mandated is for group sessions, such as doctoring sessions, and anatomy lab. The weekend Flex quizzing definitely adds to the flexibility of your schedule, as being able to choose when you quiz opens up your schedule depending on how hard you want to study and how much free time you want.

2.) The hospital system here in AA is expansive. The Medical center (main university hospital, cancer center, children's hospital, and research complexes) are all directly connected to each other, which streamlines communication and makes it easier to get around. While the exterior of the buildings can vary in age, the facilities them selves are all updated and new. The only major downside is the lack of diversity in patient populations seen in AA. AA tends to cater to a more socio-economically privileged population, however during your clinical years, you are offered the opportunity to take up rotations and electives in more urban and under-served areas such as metro-detroit.

3.) Honestly, the town of AA, was one of the things that sold me on UMich. I came from a place that doesn't have any cold winters or snow, so it was a hard sell to convince me to come to the mid-west, however AA really struck a chord with me. I'm not the kind of person to want a huge city; I like a good mixture of urban/downtown and nature. While it's not as big of a city as many others, there is still plenty to do, and at the same time plenty of greenspaces to get away from the commotion of the downtown and school. While parts of the city feel dominated by Umich, the majority of med students live in either whitecoat, kerrytown, or in general away from the undergrad dominated parts of campus. There are plenty of options for places to live (while rent is a bit high for a college town) for you to find the right balance of the University feel and the rest of AA.

4.) As for research, honestly UMich is a research powerhouse and if you are interested in a field of study, there is probably someone in the medical school, hospital system, or affiliated research departments working on that topic. I can't speak too much unto how competitive it is for regular MD students to get involved in research as I am an MSTP, however I can say based on what I've seen and the culture of the faculty, everyone for the most part, is very willing to work with medical students. Especially having the 2 free years during M3-M4 after your core clerkships provides many students ample time to get involved in research experiences.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
^Thank you so much for that!! Just popping in to say this is my top-choice school and I would give up just about anything to go here. Reading last year's thread and the energy and passion involved gives me goosebumps. I'd like to be able to write my own love ballad about this school -- let's freaking get it y'all!

So I just put my name on the official use part of the secondary because I was so pumped to submit it. Pls don't reject me for this UMich -- it was but a crime of passion.

Should I start packing my sunscreen :/

Not sure what to write about my passions. I am super passionate about social justice--I am a keyboard warrior, protestor, and civil rights activist, but I am worried that will turn them off. I could write about how I love superheroes and have a large comic book collection... I am passionate about my family. I am also super passionate about calling out our prison industrial complex and particularly the unconscionable practice of solitary confinement. I could also talk about what I am passionate about healthcare-wise, but I get the feeling they are wanting something besides that. What are they wanting when it comes to this question?

Not sure what to write about my passions. I am super passionate about social justice--I am a keyboard warrior, protestor, and civil rights activist, but I am worried that will turn them off. I could write about how I love superheroes and have a large comic book collection... I am passionate about my family. I am also super passionate about calling out our prison industrial complex and particularly the unconscionable practice of solitary confinement. I could also talk about what I am passionate about healthcare-wise, but I get the feeling they are wanting something besides that. What are they wanting when it comes to this question?
I wrote about my love of food lol. Just write about something they won’t get from something else in your app and humanizes you

Screw it. I am writing about the phenomenology of time in solitary confinement

Nah, they want something fun here. No one wants to read about my research into solitary confinement when they ask this question. I am talking about my family instead--my son, daughter, and wife

Nah, they want something fun here. No one wants to read about my research into solitary confinement when they ask this question. I am talking about my family instead--my son, daughter, and wife
I wrote about something out of the ordinary as well. Gotta risk it for the biscuit.

PS your research into solitary confinement actually seems pretty interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted MSTP! Very excited about this program.

• Love
General Question for MSTP folks: do you often indicate a specific faculty member you’d like to work with on the 2*?

I am so stupid that I accidentally switched up my answers and copy-pasted passion answer in leadership question and leadership answer in passion question. Do you guys think I am done with Michigan or will they be lenient?
Bro, me and you gotta start packing the sunscreen. I heard Carribean is nice this time of year.

Jk, I'm sure you'll be fine. It's an honest mistake.

I am so stupid that I accidentally switched up my answers and copy-pasted passion answer in leadership question and leadership answer in passion question. Do you guys think I am done with Michigan or will they be lenient?
It's okay! I'm sure they'll realize the mistake! I can't remember--does the app allow for updates? If it does, maybe upload a doc describing the mistake so it's clear?

First Michigan Monday will be two weeks from today, per admissions' twitter account

Reactions: 12 users
So, I took Casper on July 19th, which means that I should get results around... August 9th, the day before this first II release. You guys think that would prevent me from getting one, all else equal?

So, I took Casper on July 19th, which means that I should get results around... August 9th, the day before this first II release. You guys think that would prevent me from getting one, all else equal?

Not being in the first wave of IIs does not mean you will not get an II. It's very early don't worry

Not being in the first wave of IIs does not mean you will not get an II. It's very early don't worry
I know that, I was just wondering if it would keep me out of the first wave. Should have been clearer in my question.

I know that, I was just wondering if it would keep me out of the first wave. Should have been clearer in my question.
My understanding is that for schools that require CASPR, your application won't be considered complete and thus reviewed for IIs until the score is sent. so yeah I presume it would keep you out of the first wave, but there's always a chance that I'm wrong!

My understanding is that for schools that require CASPR, your application won't be considered complete and thus reviewed for IIs until the score is sent.

UMichigan actually says that for them, applications are reviewed at all stages, even before a CASPER score is sent. However, IIs won’t be given until the file is complete. So I guess theoretically an II could be given the day after receiving the CASPER score if they had already reviewed the incomplete file and really liked what they saw

Reactions: 3 users
UMichigan actually says that for them, applications are reviewed at all stages, even before a CASPER score is sent. However, IIs won’t be given until the file is complete. So I guess theoretically an II could be given the day after receiving the CASPER score if they had already reviewed the incomplete file and really liked what they saw
also just to add on a lot of people have been having their casper scores grades and sent around 2 weeks, even though they give the 3 week date. So you could have them transmitted on the 2nd!

Ohh okay, good to know! thanks for clarifying

Ohh okay, good to know! thanks for clarifying

No problem! I think you’re probably right in most cases and schools will wait for a complete file, but UMichigan explicitly said otherwise in the email confirming my secondary submission

^^^ This. I still haven't even taken the MCAT yet, but my application status for Michigan says "Your file is now complete and under review."

Since there is no space to write about gap year plans, does anyone know the best way of telling UMich that I have a completely different gap year job now?

Since there is no space to write about gap year plans, does anyone know the best way of telling UMich that I have a completely different gap year job now?
Is it important? If they wanted to base their decision to extend an interview offer on what an applicant's current plans were, I am sure they would have asked.

ugh Michigan is also using the VITA ... I chose the worst year to apply

Reactions: 2 users
How many rec letters are you all submitting? They don't have any requirements so I'm not sure whether to do 2 science letters or not. I also don't want to submit all 6 of mine and have that dilute the strongest ones..?

EDIT: I sent 5 I got anxious and wanted to submit LMAO. Only sent 1 science faculty.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if not including our parents info for the purposes of advertisement would impact admission decisions...

I wondered the same thing, but ultimately just put in email address for my parents. It would be incredibly scummy if someone actually took notice of that lol

I wondered the same thing, but ultimately just put in email address for my parents. It would be incredibly scummy if someone actually took notice of that lol
I think "907914" didn't put in parent info and he got an II -> A last year. You should be fine.

Is anyone else having trouble accessing their secondary from the initial secondary email link they sent?

I'm a simple man; every Monday I check my tinder matches from the weekend, browse UMichMed Twitter, and send my girl Carol a dozen of the finest roses imported from Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 users
I just saw this:URiM: includes all AMCAS Under-Represented in Medicine categories + Middle Eastern/Arab American decent. The UMMS definition of URiM during our holistic review extends beyond race and ethnicity to include LGBTQ+ applicants and applicants with disabilities. We are currently developing methodologies to appropriately gather this data from our future class members.

Was there a place on the app to indicate your specific race? I no longer remember... How would they know if an applicant is Arab since that's usually noted down as white?

I just saw this:URiM: includes all AMCAS Under-Represented in Medicine categories + Middle Eastern/Arab American decent. The UMMS definition of URiM during our holistic review extends beyond race and ethnicity to include LGBTQ+ applicants and applicants with disabilities. We are currently developing methodologies to appropriately gather this data from our future class members.

Was there a place on the app to indicate your specific race? I no longer remember... How would they know if an applicant is Arab since that's usually noted down as white?

For AMCAS race I put 'other' and filled in 'Middle Eastern'. I'm hoping they see it from there

That's weird, because Middle Eastern is normally classified as 'white.' Are there any other schools that include URiM as middle eastern or arab american?

This makes me love Michigan. Why don't all schools consider middle eastern URim?

Reactions: 2 users

Dang guess I fumbled on this one. I’m so used to putting white for race bc middle e and n Africa is typically put as “white” oh well

Reactions: 1 users
UMich is even more of a real one for saying they won't use ca$per snapshot even if we send it in

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 24 users
Carol, you da real MVP
1596833214585.png

Reactions: 5 users