2020-2021 Midwestern University (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A little late to the party, but when everyone submitted their secondaries did it now show your CV when you were asked to verify your application before payment?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know when they'll start handing out II's?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when they'll start handing out II's?
Last year they started on 7/31 so they're definitely delayed due to COVID-19. Last year, AZCOM (sister school) had started sending out IIs 2-3 weeks prior to that so if we follow a similar time difference and AZCOM started sending interviews last week, we should be hearing back for IIs next week or the week after. Though this is all speculation and they may end up sending IIs out tomorrow for all we know.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am an international student with stats of 3.91/518. I have around 300 hr volunteering experience and 4000 hr research. Does anyone know how likely I will get an II? I know it's different and less like for international students but just wondering.

Hi, I am an international student with stats of 3.91/518. I have around 300 hr volunteering experience and 4000 hr research. Does anyone know how likely I will get an II? I know it's different and less like for international students but just wondering.
when did you finish your application?

Hi,

What does CCOM do to encourage students to pursue family medicine/primary care medicine?

Unfortunately, I was a little late with my AACOMAS being verified. One of the schools that I attended, University of Houston-Downtown, didn't have anyone in the registrars office due to COVID. I completed my AACOMS app back in June, requested the transcript on June 19th, and it wasn't mailed to AACOMAS until August 4th! AACOMAS received it on August 14th and my application was verified the same day. Later on that day, I received the invitation to complete the secondary for CCOM. My CV was already ready to go so I've been focusing on the two prompts and I intend to have those complete and ready to go by Tuesday at the latest.

Unfortunately, I was a little late with my AACOMAS being verified. One of the schools that I attended, University of Houston-Downtown, didn't have anyone in the registrars office due to COVID. I completed my AACOMS app back in June, requested the transcript on June 19th, and it wasn't mailed to AACOMAS until August 4th! AACOMAS received it on August 14th and my application was verified the same day. Later on that day, I received the invitation to complete the secondary for CCOM. My CV was already ready to go so I've been focusing on the two prompts and I intend to have those complete and ready to go by Tuesday at the latest.

PROUD OF YOU!!!!!

AZCOM and CCOM have legit the same secondary essay prompts - would it be bad to use the same essay for both of them (obviously with slight changes for question 1)?

Hi everyone, I submitted my secondary 10 days ago and I'm a Canadian applicant. All my clinical experiences are obviously in Canada and I also shadowed an MD licensed to practice in Canada who wrote me a LOR.

I got an email saying that they only accept US licensed physician LORs and that my application is incomplete.

There is no way I can get a new LOR from a US licensed physican..

This basically means all the money and time I spent applying is gone because of this one requirement and I'm really frustrated right now and not sure what to do

Does anyone have any tips or do you know any other DO schools that are Canadian friendly with this US licensed physician LOR requirement? I know most schools require a letter from a doctor but I had no idea they wouldn't accept a Canadian MD, that seems ridiculous.

Hi everyone, I submitted my secondary 10 days ago and I'm a Canadian applicant. All my clinical experiences are obviously in Canada and I also shadowed an MD licensed to practice in Canada who wrote me a LOR.

I got an email saying that they only accept US licensed physician LORs and that my application is incomplete.

There is no way I can get a new LOR from a US licensed physican..

This basically means all the money and time I spent applying is gone because of this one requirement and I'm really frustrated right now and not sure what to do

Does anyone have any tips or do you know any other DO schools that are Canadian friendly with this US licensed physician LOR requirement? I know most schools require a letter from a doctor but I had no idea they wouldn't accept a Canadian MD, that seems ridiculous.
I think Michigan State is pretty friendly to Canadians. They have quotas for Canadian students each year. And some DO schools waived physician letters due to the pandemic. Stay hopeful!

I think Michigan State is pretty friendly to Canadians. They have quotas for Canadian students each year. And some DO schools waived physician letters due to the pandemic. Stay hopeful!

Yea they are! Working on their secondary right now :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email saying they're missing LORs even though my DO letter was uploaded 3 weeks ago and committee letter was uploaded 1 week ago. Should I email them letting them know they're been uploaded, or does it just take a while for them to receive them after they're uploaded to AACOMAS?

Do you all know if they do a screen of applicants before sending out secondary or they send it to everyone? I have received an email saying that I meet all of their academic requirements. However, my MCAT is not great, so I am debating if I need to re-take it or not..

Do you all know if they do a screen of applicants before sending out secondary or they send it to everyone? I have received an email saying that I meet all of their academic requirements. However, my MCAT is not great, so I am debating if I need to re-take it or not..
All I know is that they screen GPA before sending out secondary. Did you get rejected? Did you receive a secondary?

I received a secondary. My GPA is good, so if that's their only parameter, this makes sense. Does this mean that based on MCAT they might reject me post-II?
hmm...idk...My MCAT isn't very high, but I haven't received an email from them regarding my mcat...yet...

no...i don't think they have sent II to anyone yet
So, their supplemental application is not their secondary? I haven't looked over what that supplementary entails but I assumed that it was secondary. Am I wrong?

So, their supplemental application is not their secondary? I haven't looked over what that supplementary entails but I assumed that it was secondary. Am I wrong?
Yes you are wrong

If my memory serves, there is a screen but it's at a low bar. Not sure if they do pre-interview holds like they do at AZCOM if your GPA/MCAT isn't above a specific threshold beyond that. If your MCAT is around the general region of 504+ you should be fine for DO. Remember posted statistics online tend to averages, not minimums. So people score below that average :)

Supplemental and secondary are synonymous (I believe). The secondary should ask for a CV/resume, why CCOM, and why CCOM should accept you. IIs have not gone out yet but given COVID 19 delays and general lag behind their sister school AZCOM this is understandable. Hopefully, news comes sooner rather than later (debating if I want to email/call admissions)

If my memory serves, there is a screen but it's at a low bar. Not sure if they do pre-interview holds like they do at AZCOM if your GPA/MCAT isn't above a specific threshold beyond that. If your MCAT is around the general region of 504+ you should be fine for DO. Remember posted statistics online tend to averages, not minimums. So people score below that average :)

Supplemental and secondary are synonymous (I believe). The secondary should ask for a CV/resume, why CCOM, and why CCOM should accept you. IIs have not gone out yet but given COVID 19 delays and general lag behind their sister school AZCOM this is understandable. Hopefully, news comes sooner rather than later (debating if I want to email/call admissions)
I'm fairly certain the GPA screen is a 2.75

If someone calls admissions to inquire about when interviews go out that would be amazing. I might call them too

If someone calls admissions to inquire about when interviews go out that would be amazing. I might call them too
Cannot find a phone number but has the email. I volunteer as tribute and will return when I have an answer.

Reactions: 6 users
Their supplemental application is their secondary. Once the secondary is complete, they send II's to candidates they wish to interview

So I sent the email at 11:25 am PST Received an email back at 11:55 am PST. Impressed with the speed of their admissions committee :)

"Although interviews are being conducted virtually this year, the interview timeframe has remained the same with interviews beginning in the fall and going throughout the spring. At this time, your application is under consideration. Because we operate on rolling admissions, we do not have a timeframe for when decisions regarding interviews are made. As soon as there has been any update to your application status, you would receive an email from our office."

In short, interviews are following a similar timeline as in previous years. I imagine with AZCOM sending out IIs a couple of weeks ago and CCOM has their delay in timing, it would be reasonable to presume it may happen in the next couple weeks.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi guys, I have a LOR question. On their site they specify: "The full legal name and AACOMAS ID number of the applicant must be on the front page of the recommendation." Does anyone know how strict they are about this? I have the appropriate letters, but not with this addition and there is no way one of my letter writers will submit a new version anytime soon. Is it not sufficient enough to have the letter coming from Interfolio so that it's very directly linked to me as an applicant?

Hi guys, I have a LOR question. On their site they specify: "The full legal name and AACOMAS ID number of the applicant must be on the front page of the recommendation." Does anyone know how strict they are about this? I have the appropriate letters, but not with this addition and there is no way one of my letter writers will submit a new version anytime soon. Is it not sufficient enough to have the letter coming from Interfolio so that it's very directly linked to me as an applicant?

if it's going from interfolio to AACOMAS then to the school, the ID number will be on there somewhere due to AACOMAS processing (they make a comment somewhere or annotation after processing, I think). I called CCOM yesterday for a separate LOR issue and none of my writers put my ID # on them and the lady I spoke with didn't comment on it and checked it off right on the phone. call if you want to be sure but I doubt it's strict.

if it's going from interfolio to AACOMAS then to the school, the ID number will be on there somewhere due to AACOMAS processing (they make a comment somewhere or annotation after processing, I think). I called CCOM yesterday for a separate LOR issue and none of my writers put my ID # on them and the lady I spoke with didn't comment on it and checked it off right on the phone. call if you want to be sure but I doubt it's strict.

Thank you so much, this was very helpful!

On the portal, it says that my letters of recommendation and physician letters are missing, but I submitted them through aacomas. Is there a delay or do I need to submit the letters individually to the school? thanks!

On the portal, it says that my letters of recommendation and physician letters are missing, but I submitted them through aacomas. Is there a delay or do I need to submit the letters individually to the school? thanks!

There is quite a long delay actually (about 2-3 weeks) so I wouldnt worry too much right now :) if it passes that 3 week mark then Id probably reach out to them!

I sent mine through interfolio and they received them and my writers didn’t put that information on them. You should be fine.

There is quite a long delay actually (about 2-3 weeks) so I wouldnt worry too much right now :) if it passes that 3 week mark then Id probably reach out to them!
I agree. I actually had to reach out to them regarding my letters after 3 weeks. I knew AZCOM received them, so I emailed the CCOM office to see what was up, and they marked me complete.

Submitted 2ndry on 08/01. No reply yet! OOS
Status=Complete

I agree. I actually had to reach out to them regarding my letters after 3 weeks. I knew AZCOM received them, so I emailed the CCOM office to see what was up, and they marked me complete.
I had to do the same thing.

II received today via email!
If any current students have advice on their interview format/tips for questions, please message or let me know :)

Reactions: 10 users
II received today via email!
If any current students have advice on their interview format/tips for questions, please message or let me know :)
congrats!! Do you mind sharing your complete date, IS/OOS/connections to area, and stats/LM? :)

II on portal no email yet! IS complete 7/30 LM 67

II via email! Complete 7/21.
OOS, LM 70

congrats!! Do you mind sharing your complete date, IS/OOS/connections to area, and stats/LM? :)
thanks! Complete 7/23. I'm out of state but my brother lives downtown Chi. GPA 3.9, MCAT 509. LM 69

Reactions: 3 users
Any of you who just received a CCOM II also have an AZCOM II?

Reactions: 2 users