2020-2021 Minnesota, Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm seeing a lot of post about High priority vs acceptable, how do you know where you sit was this disclosed in the email. I know i interviewed way back in September but was placed on the WL, This isn't the 3 categories for the WL is it, because I don't think I have received that email.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm seeing a lot of post about High priority vs acceptable, how do you know where you sit was this disclosed in the email. I know i interviewed way back in September but was placed on the WL, This isn't the 3 categories for the WL is it, because I don't think I have received that email.
It is def confusing.. but back when u got ur email about the WL decision it likely said either “acceptable waitlist category” or “high priority” at the end of the first paragraph.. if ur in high priority u will likely get an A call to fill the rest of the class, if ur in the acceptable waitlist category you dont know which 3rd ur in yet.. hopefully we find out next week :)

Reactions: 1 user
Idle chat time since I'm bored out of my mind waiting for this email:

For those of y'all still twiddling your thumbs with me and waiting, what have you been doing to pass the time during the interview season?

I work as a critical care paramedic in the Twin Cities area. I'm also in the Navy Reserve as a Hospital Corpsman.

I've also played an obscene amount of Settlers of Catan, Villainous, and Carcassonne with my wife and mother. My wife and I also have a couple D&D groups going with friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idle chat time since I'm bored out of my mind waiting for this email:

For those of y'all still twiddling your thumbs with me and waiting, what have you been doing to pass the time during the interview season?

I work as a critical care paramedic in the Twin Cities area. I'm also in the Navy Reserve as a Hospital Corpsman.

I've also played an obscene amount of Settlers of Catan, Villainous, and Carcassonne with my wife and mother. My wife and I also have a couple D&D groups going with friends.
Lol... im a research coordinator at UMN but adopted a puppy last summer that keeps me pretty busy! Other than that, Ive been cooking more thanks to Gordon Ramsay and his shows 😂

but in all seriousness, how freaking cool would it be if duluth surprised us with WL emails this Friday lol. We can dream right?

Does anybunny know if the remaining 25 spots of the class have been filled by the high priority acceptance pool already? If not, any speculation on when this will be done?
As far as I know they have filled close to 60 seats. Some of those students will drop their acceptances though, but it’s impossible to predict how many.

Has anyone received a zoom link for the second look on monday? I can't find anything in my email other than the date and time!

Welcome back from purgatory everyone!

I have a feeling we won't see emails until closer to the end of the week.

Reactions: 2 users
Post-II R just now, waitlisted then ranked “below 120”.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Notified that I am in the middle of waitlist and they do not anticipate that they will be able to offer me an acceptance. Was my only shot to stay close to my family. There’s that

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I received an email stating I’m one of the remaining individuals from the high priority with a rank of 20 or higher on the list.

Notified that I am in the middle of waitlist and they do not anticipate that they will be able to offer me an acceptance. Was my only shot to stay close to my family. There’s that
Same - in the middle third, which won't get any invites.

They only average 24 waitlist A's per year and the waitlist has 169 people on it, meaning that ~56 people are in the top third, i.e. an average of only half of the top third will even get an invite this year.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users

They only average 24 waitlist A's per year and the waitlist has 169 people on it, meaning that ~56 people are in the top third, i.e. an average of only half of the top third will even get an invite this year.
Just praying for a Hail Mary from the twin cities campus 😭

My email stated there are 189 individuals on the alternate list... I guess your email isn’t considering the 20 remaining from the high priority (including me)?

Just received the email that I am in the "top section of the alternate list, with a rank of 57 or higher. Although we cannot be certain, we expect that we will be able to offer you a place in this fall’s class." I will most likely be withdrawing my application from Duluth to attend MCW since I'm not sure I want to focus on primary care. The only thing I'm waiting for is my financial aid package from MCW as it will likely be more expensive than Duluth. I'm sorry to all of those who received bad news! I interviewed 1/26.

Just received the email that I am in the "top section of the alternate list, with a rank of 57 or higher. Although we cannot be certain, we expect that we will be able to offer you a place in this fall’s class." I will most likely be withdrawing my application from Duluth to attend MCW since I'm not sure I want to focus on primary care. The only thing I'm waiting for is my financial aid package from MCW as it will likely be more expensive than Duluth. I'm sorry to all of those who received bad news! I interviewed 1/26.
I’ll probably see you at MCW :)

• Love
Hey by any chance did you also receive an email from them about being on high priority list? For others on high priority list do you know when we can expect to hear.
I have received an email already about being in the top 20 of the waitlist from being left on the high priority.

“Since the entering class of 2000, the average number of acceptances from the alternate list has been 24; the range has been 12 to 39. Most changes in the class occur in April and May, but it is not uncommon for changes to come late in the summer.

You are in the remaining portion of our High Priority Pool, with a rank of 20 or higher. Although we cannot be certain, we expect that we will be able to offer you a place in this fall’s class.”

I interviewed 2/8. This is my last chance of getting in anywhere, but I’m keeping my expectations in check. Any tips on if I should do anything at this point?

“Since the entering class of 2000, the average number of acceptances from the alternate list has been 24; the range has been 12 to 39. Most changes in the class occur in April and May, but it is not uncommon for changes to come late in the summer.

You are in the remaining portion of our High Priority Pool, with a rank of 20 or higher. Although we cannot be certain, we expect that we will be able to offer you a place in this fall’s class.”

I interviewed 2/8. This is my last chance of getting in anywhere, but I’m keeping my expectations in check. Any tips on if I should do anything at this point?
What do you mean by do anything? Start your application for the next cycle? We can’t give any updates or LOI we just get to wait.

Hey by any chance did you also receive an email from them about being on high priority list? For others on high priority list do you know when we can expect to hear.
This is the first thing I heard back from them since my interview. I was not informed about being on the high priority or regular waitlist prior to this call.

Hi, MS3 here, primary care is our mission but we don't always meet it, we have matches each year into anesthesiology, radiology (both this year for sure) and a number of other things. But also don't want to argue w/ you because I want more rural PCP's ;). Duluth is great for clinical experience early with the 1wk after every block in MS1 and 2. Then students all go to the same options anyways (twin cities hospitals or longitudinal rotations at another site). You will be involved in some primary care focused lecture material in MS1 but it is more interesting health inequity statistics on rural medicine anyways, especially now.

Also received the email today that I am in the top of the regular waiting list. I am wondering if everyone received this wording: "You are in the top section of the alternate list, with a rank of 57 or higher. Although we cannot be certain, we expect that we will be able to offer you a place in this fall’s class." It would seem strange if they sent that to all 57 of us, given fewer than that historically move off the regular waitlist

Also received the email today that I am in the top of the regular waiting list. I am wondering if everyone received this wording: "You are in the top section of the alternate list, with a rank of 57 or higher. Although we cannot be certain, we expect that we will be able to offer you a place in this fall’s class." It would seem strange if they sent that to all 57 of us, given fewer than that historically move off the regular waitlist
Seems like the same statement they used last year when the top third had 24 people on it. Maybe a form letter that they probably should have edited but didn’t

I wouldn't be surprised to see greater WL movement this year, however. With the ability to attend more interviews due to the free nature of Zoom, most applicants likely interviewed more, and may have more options available than in the typical cycle. Just a thought.

Reactions: 3 users
Just had an application review session with the admissions office. Got some interesting insight for those that are curious about both this cycle and next cycle.

-Applying this cycle was significantly more competitive than other cycles. Waiving the MCAT made it much more competitive due to considering a significantly higher number of students (they didn't look at the MCAT at all when sending out II's). This also meant that they interviewed significantly more people overall. They will be going back to requiring the MCAT next cycle, and I was told that this immediately improves the chances of anyone who has a strong MCAT score.
-76% of the entering class is classified as "non-traditional".
-Interviews next year will still be virtual and still use the same format.
-The timeline for processing applications and sending out invites will revert back to the timeline prior to COVID-19 - secondaries at the end of July, II's at the end of August, interviews start at the beginning of September, first round of A's sent out Oct 15th.
-The actual process for looking at and grading applications/interviews may change and is up in the air. Apparently there is a lot of vague, high-level talk between the deans of the Twin Cities and Duluth campuses about their processes.
-Having research experience looks nice for them but it's a minor benefit. They don't care too much if you don't have research experience. Implied that this is similar at other schools that are not heavily research-focused.
-The one thing that makes or breaks a Duluth application is having experiences on your application that specifically reference primary care (and especially family medicine) experience. I was explicitly told that my application was "great" but that the only thing holding me back (and probably the only thing that stopped me from getting an A) was the lack of family medicine experience (I have copious amounts of medical experience but most of it is related to emergency medicine). This was, for me, literally the only point of criticism on my entire application (she brushed over my academics, numbers, volunteering, medical experience in maybe two minutes, basically saying it was all fine). Even just shadowing a family physician with no other primary care experience significantly boosts your application. They really want to see some family medicine/primary care experience. She suggested that I use all 15 of the "experience" entries on the application to extrapolate specific experiences from my work/military experience that are related to medical care, particularly primary care.
-Duluth (and it was hinted that the Twin Cities is like this as well) isn't a "check-the-box" style admissions office. If you don't have any shadowing experience but describe meaningfully similar experiences in paid positions or something else, then they are fine with that. If you don't have a recent letter of recommendation from a science professor but have recent academic experiences that show that you can succeed, they're fine with that. They're also fine with letters from non-medical personnel, midlevel providers, etc. that still speak to your experience and ability from a supervisory or leadership standpoint.
-Confirmed that 1) applying early is better (when they start reviewing applications in the summer, they start with the first applications submitted) and 2) they don't start looking at anything at all until the end of July. Implied that this is similar at most schools in the region.

Just some insight for the curious or for anyone re-applying next cycle. I'll probably post this to next year's thread too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 users
I wouldn't be surprised to see greater WL movement this year, however. With the ability to attend more interviews due to the free nature of Zoom, most applicants likely interviewed more, and may have more options available than in the typical cycle. Just a thought.
I called the admissions office the other day to ask some questions, unfortunately that isn't the impression I got. lol

I thought that you can only hold one acceptance after April 30th?
You’re right, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the people they have accepted don’t have a lot of acceptances elsewhere given the relaxed prereqs Minnesota has.

You’re right, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the people they have accepted don’t have a lot of acceptances elsewhere given the relaxed prereqs Minnesota has.
Forget that pessimism, just got an A! Was too excited to ask any questions, but hopefully this is a good sign for the rest of you!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Withdrew my acceptance - Good luck to everyone on the waitlist and all the future MDs out there!

• Care
Just withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to all of you.