2020-2021 Minnesota, Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I emailed the Duluth admissions office just to get a clear answer about a timetable for those of us on the waitlist since we've been hearing a few unclear rumors. Here's their response to me this morning:

"Thank you for reaching out directly. We are scheduled to complete interviews mid-month. Due to the process of getting all applicants through our Admissions Committees, we will begin notifying applicants of their places on the waitlist starting the week of April 5th. Due to the nature of the cycle, we could receive withdrawals from applicants before they interview which would move the timeline ahead, but because that is not a guarantee, we cannot release more detailed information until we have completed all interviews for the cycle."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So I emailed the Duluth admissions office just to get a clear answer about a timetable for those of us on the waitlist since we've been hearing a few unclear rumors. Here's their response to me this morning:

"Thank you for reaching out directly. We are scheduled to complete interviews mid-month. Due to the process of getting all applicants through our Admissions Committees, we will begin notifying applicants of their places on the waitlist starting the week of April 5th. Due to the nature of the cycle, we could receive withdrawals from applicants before they interview which would move the timeline ahead, but because that is not a guarantee, we cannot release more detailed information until we have completed all interviews for the cycle."
Thanks for the info! I interviewed 6 weeks ago and haven't received a WL email yet, do you think I can expect to hear whether I've been WL'ed (not ranking) before 4/5 at least?

Thanks for the info! I interviewed 6 weeks ago and haven't received a WL email yet, do you think I can expect to hear whether I've been WL'ed (not ranking) before 4/5 at least?
I couldn't imagine them not giving you a specific decision prior to the waitlist updates. The reply that I posted implies that they put every interviewee through their admissions committees and wait to formulate the actual waitlist rankings until after that process is finished.

You should hear if you got in the high priority pool, waitlisted, or rejected before then.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think letters of intent would be beneficial for those on the waitlist or do they not accept LOI?

Do you think letters of intent would be beneficial for those on the waitlist or do they not accept LOI?
No updates/letters for either campus per the admissions website.

Placed on the regular waitlist (acceptable category) today! Cheers to more waiting... Edit: Interviewed 1/26

Anyone else super anxious to see which WL category theyre in? 😅

My anxiousness has been compressed into soul-crushing pessimism created by the weight of months of inaction.

Join me in my half-year slog to wait for a single email that will determine my life plans for the following 18 months.

For real though, I've missed out on so many opportunities because I might get in and I've been waiting so long for a damn email.

• Care
My anxiousness has been compressed into soul-crushing pessimism created by the weight of months of inaction.

Join me in my half-year slog to wait for a single email that will determine my life plans for the following 18 months.

For real though, I've missed out on so many opportunities because I might get in and I've been waiting so long for a damn email.
EXACTLY my thoughts... i know u emailed very early here (I did too) and the wait is just so agonizing lol. Itll be so nice to finally find out what 1/3 we are in bc the top third they said ull probs get in and bottom third probs not get in but middle third its just like who knows lets make u wait 4 more months 🙃

EXACTLY my thoughts... i know u emailed very early here (I did too) and the wait is just so agonizing lol. Itll be so nice to finally find out what 1/3 we are in bc the top third they said ull probs get in and bottom third probs not get in but middle third its just like who knows lets make u wait 4 more months 🙃
I could probably write an entire thesis on how incredibly exploitative this whole process is (at all schools, not just Duluth), but that would derail this thread pretty hard.

In terms of professionalism and respect for our time, Duluth is easily the best school that I've interacted with, even if the bar is quite low.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else super anxious to see which WL category theyre in? 😅
Yes, and time seems to be moving so slowly! It sucks not knowing if I'm going to have to go through this entire process again next year :( I'm also waiting to hear back from MCW in 10 days and so anxious. It'd be really nice to have one A, then I wouldn't be so worried about waiting to get off the WL at Duluth

Last edited:
  • Care
It’s a bit odd that they are holding a “new student welcome” April 5th when that’s supposedly the date they are accepting a third of their class. Makes me sad :(

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if they are for sure done with interviews 3/26? Only a couple more weeks until we find out more my WL friends :) tryin to hang in there lol

Anyone know if they are for sure done with interviews 3/26? Only a couple more weeks until we find out more my WL friends :) tryin to hang in there lol
The last P4P with students is on 4/1 so yeah that’s probably right

I only just interviewed in March, so I was never informed whether I had been placed on the high priority (or other) lists.
Congrats! Weird.. I thought they werent giving out any more As.. but maybe they had placed u on high priority but because it was later in cycle just decided to wait and just give u the call? I thought they were on the admissions freeze..

Congrats! Weird.. I thought they werent giving out any more As.. but maybe they had placed u on high priority but because it was later in cycle just decided to wait and just give u the call? I thought they were on the admissions freeze..
My guess is that one of the 40 initial acceptances prior to the freeze dropped and they were the individual with the highest score so they got accepted to fill that seat.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you mind sharing your stats?
3.55 Undergrad GPA, 3.57 Grad GPA, 511 MCAT, URM, Rural Underserved, Lots of healthcare experience in allied fields.

MD: 1º 20 / 2º 18 / II 6 / WL 2 / A 2 / R 11 / Post II R 1

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you!!! Do you happen to know how many ppl will be in each third of the WL this yr due to the increase in interviews?
***This is completely a guess

I would bet somewhere around 60 people for each third. I heard they did 250 interviews this year, so assuming they gave out 40 initial acceptances that would leave 210 people to be WL’ed. After that, I would assume there’d be 35 people on high priority WL as it sounds like they traditionally overfill it by 10-15 people. That leaves 175, which divided by 3 would be 58 per third. Again, completely a guess, but I would imagine it’d be around that number.

***This is completely a guess

I would bet somewhere around 60 people for each third. I heard they did 250 interviews this year, so assuming they gave out 40 initial acceptances that would leave 210 people to be WL’ed. After that, I would assume there’d be 35 people on high priority WL as it sounds like they traditionally overfill it by 10-15 people. That leaves 175, which divided by 3 would be 58 per third. Again, completely a guess, but I would imagine it’d be around that number.
Thanks! Ive been just kinda speculating too and could be completely off but maybe bc of the more interviews there will be more in the bottom third? Idk.. seems like they always get thru high priority and the top third/sometimes part way thru middle third. But i doubt theyd even get thru all of the top third then if this is the case. Again I guess we’ll never really know for sure 😅 just sometime to think about to make the time pass I guess lol..

Thanks! Ive been just kinda speculating too and could be completely off but maybe bc of the more interviews there will be more in the bottom third? Idk.. seems like they always get thru high priority and the top third/sometimes part way thru middle third. But i doubt theyd even get thru all of the top third then if this is the case. Again I guess we’ll never really know for sure 😅 just sometime to think about to make the time pass I guess lol..
Do they not reject anyone post II?

I'm guessing that the A call going out means one or two things:

1) That individual was in line to be notified about their status and they scored high enough to guarantee that they would get an A out of the High Priority pool since they are so close to done with interviews.

2) This is the unofficial signal that A's and WL placement emails will be going out soon.

Could be only one of these things, could be both. Only thing to do is keep yourself busy until that email just mysteriously appears.

If you’re in the bottom third you get rejected I believe.
From conversations that I've had with students I don't think this is always the case.

I've heard from some people that if you're in the bottom third you'll still receive an email that basically says, "You ain't gettin' in, but you're still technically on the waitlist".

Just received the acceptance call! Interviewed on January 11th and received the high priority waitlist email on Feb 15th!

• Love
Also received the acceptance call this morning. Interviewed March 5th and this was the first communication since the interview. Good luck everyone!

• Love
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to those still waiting! Is the Duluth campus a rolling admissions process? I'm noticing folks from different months being notified in the same week so just curious!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to those still waiting! Is the Duluth campus a rolling admissions process? I'm noticing folks from different months being notified in the same week so just curious!
No.

Duluth does a numerical score on their interviews. Starting around December, anyone who makes the cutoff for an automatic acceptance is put in the "High Priority" pool and waits until all interviews are done in the spring. After that, the remaining seats are filled with the highest scoring "High Priority" applicants and anyone in that pool that didn't get an A gets put at the top of the waitlist.

No.

Duluth does a numerical score on their interviews. Starting around December, anyone who makes the cutoff for an automatic acceptance is put in the "High Priority" pool and waits until all interviews are done in the spring. After that, the remaining seats are filled with the highest scoring "High Priority" applicants and anyone in that pool that didn't get an A gets put at the top of the waitlist.
Got it, thank you!!

Well seems like high priority acceptances are starting to go out.. so maybe other WL info will go out soon too 😊

Well seems like high priority acceptances are starting to go out.. so maybe other WL info will go out soon too 😊
My email response told me that the last interviews were the 26th but that, if they cancelled, they might start sending out info soon, so that may be what happened.

My email response told me that the last interviews were the 26th but that, if they cancelled, they might start sending out info soon, so that may be what happened.
Gotcha! Yeah maybe if things are moving quicker than they thought/expected we’ll hear more next week instead of april but who knows

Has anyone received an acceptance with MCAT under 500? Ik Duluth is very holistic but very curious thanks :)

I wonder how likely you are to cycle in if you just got the (acceptable) waitlist category and not the priority waitlist? If you got the priority WL email, does that mean you are in the top 3rd? And everyone else is in the 2nd and 3rd of the group?
(I got the "acceptable WL category" and just don't really know if that gives me a chance with the existence of a priority waitlist too)

I wonder how likely you are to cycle in if you just got the (acceptable) waitlist category and not the priority waitlist? If you got the priority WL email, does that mean you are in the top 3rd? And everyone else is in the 2nd and 3rd of the group?
(I got the "acceptable WL category" and just don't really know if that gives me a chance with the existence of a priority waitlist too)
To my understanding, high priority is not part of the acceptable WL. So if youre on acceptable WL, that is the list that will be divided into thirds. High priority is ppl who will come off of that and make up the rest of the spots to fill the class

To my understanding, high priority is not part of the acceptable WL. So if youre on acceptable WL, that is the list that will be divided into thirds. High priority is ppl who will come off of that and make up the rest of the spots to fill the class
High priority and acceptable are separate right now. After the top 25 of the high priority are accepted high priority and acceptable will be combined to form the alternate list according to our numerical scores. Then after the alternate list is formed the thirds are made and you are notified of what third you are in.

High priority and acceptable are separate right now. After the top 25 of the high priority are accepted high priority and acceptable will be combined to form the alternate list according to our numerical scores. Then after the alternate list is formed the thirds are made and you are notified of what third you are in.
Thank you both! That makes more sense.

Does anyone know if the remaining 25 spots of the class have been filled by the high priority acceptance pool already? If not, any speculation on when this will be done?

Does anyone know if the remaining 25 spots of the class have been filled by the high priority acceptance pool already? If not, any speculation on when this will be done?
I believe they have filled the remaining 25 spots. Or they have filled some of them. I was on the high priority waitlist and I received an acceptance.

I was in the high priority pool but haven't received an acceptance yet, or a waitlist update

I was in the high priority pool but haven't received an acceptance yet, or a waitlist update
Someone posted above that they reached out to admissions and they said we should be hearing more sometime next week! Fingers crossed!!