2020-2021 Minnesota, Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an interview invite on December 8th, and then received the email to schedule it this afternoon! It gave me three dates to choose from. Two in mid-late January 1 in February. Its a half-day in the mornings.

It's my first interview invite!! i was complete there 10/8. I'm in-state, from twin cities, but have lots (4+ years full time) of clinical and advocacy work in Minnesota Indigenous community.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Just curious, but has anyone been placed in the “high priority” category when they received info they were on the WL? Like did anyones email say anything other than acceptable category? Or is that decided when interviews are done in march? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, but has anyone been placed in the “high priority” category when they received info they were on the WL? Like did anyones email say anything other than acceptable category? Or is that decided when interviews are done in march? Thanks!
According to the WL email that I got and the information that was given during the interview, we won't receive information on this until March.

Reactions: 2 users
According to the WL email that I got and the information that was given during the interview, we won't receive information on this until March.
Ok right I thought that was the case but couldnt remember.. in other words: if we are currently on the WL here, we could very possibly be on the “high priority” list come March? I guess I was just unsure if they were giving those spots right now or if not until later if that makes sense

Reactions: 1 user
Ok right I thought that was the case but couldnt remember.. in other words: if we are currently on the WL here, we could very possibly be on the “high priority” list come March? I guess I was just unsure if they were giving those spots right now or if not until later if that makes sense
Yes, it is definitely still possible.

Not the best chance, but still possible.

Yes, it is definitely still possible.

Not the best chance, but still possible.
I don’t think it’s possible to be on the high priority list since you are on that list if your score was that of an acceptance earlier in the cycle. But you can be on the top third of the regular waitlist.

I don’t think it’s possible to be on the high priority list since you are on that list if your score was that of an acceptance earlier in the cycle. But you can be on the top third of the regular waitlist.
I think people confuse each other with the terminology here.

Since his post referred to "come March" (when those of us on the WL get notified), I understood it to be about the WL high/med/low tiers.

I just received the email that I was placed in the highest priority acceptance pool. IS interviewed in the beginning of December.

I just received the email that I was placed in the highest priority acceptance pool. IS interviewed in the beginning of December.
I just got one too but mine says "acceptable category" so it sounds like they are doing a high priority waitlist and a normal waitlist. Thanks for sharing!
IS interviewed begin of Dec.

I just got one too but mine says "acceptable category" so it sounds like they are doing a high priority waitlist and a normal waitlist. Thanks for sharing!
IS interviewed begin of Dec.
Yep! Here is a quote from the email that I received that explains how both lists work:

“We anticipate that interviews and committee meetings will continue through March. When the Committee has met for the last time during this cycle, open positions in the class will be filled by candidates in the highest priority acceptance pool. Once the class is full, remaining candidates in the highest priority acceptance pool along with candidates in the acceptable category will form an alternate list according to numeric scores assigned by the Committee. If we have not offered an acceptance to you by that time, we will notify you regarding your approximate position on the alternate list.”

Reactions: 3 users
This thread has been quiet so in case anyone is interested, I interviewed here today and they said they have approximately 100 interviews left to conduct before they send out waitlist statuses in mid-March. :) Edit: 100 seemed like a lot to me for this point in the cycle considering they only interviewed 148 total last cycle, so I'm guessing they increased their total # of interviews this year to account for the increase in applications?

• Care
This thread has been quiet so in case anyone is interested, I interviewed here today and they said they have approximately 100 interviews left to conduct before they send out waitlist statuses in mid-March. :) Edit: 100 seemed like a lot to me for this point in the cycle considering they only interviewed 148 total last cycle, so I'm guessing they increased their total # of interviews this year to account for the increase in applications?
I wish someone had an update like this for the TC campus! Thanks for posting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Placed on the "acceptable waitlist", is this the high priority waitlist that they mentioned at interviews?
Its confusing, but I dont think so. I think the high priority is above that? Idk i swear they told us high priority was decided in march lol

Its confusing, but I dont think so. I think the high priority is above that? Idk i swear they told us high priority was decided in march lol
It’s not. My email stated I was placed in the “highest priority acceptance pool” not the acceptable waitlist. The highest priority is above the waitlist. I posted a quote from my email Jan 13th that explains how the two interact.

It’s not. My email stated I was placed in the “highest priority acceptance pool” not the acceptable waitlist. The highest priority is above the waitlist. I posted a quote from my email Jan 13th that explains how the two interact.
Well yikes. Thanks for clarifying

For all my waitlisters, there is hope but you may be waiting for a while. A friend of mine was accepted here just 2-3 weeks before classes started.

I guess I will have to hope for the best, thankfully I have an acceptance but UMD would allow me to stay near family. Interviewing at Twin Cities soon, but feeling like it will be another interview for a waitlist spot 😥

Well yikes. Thanks for clarifying
During my interview last week they added that they got all of the way through the top third of the WL and part of the way into the 2nd third of the WL last year. If you are in the bottom third of the waitlist that's basically a rejection. Hope that helps and good luck! :)

Edit: They also said it's possible to hear back that you're in the high priority pool before March if both of your interviewers are available during the weekly ADCOM meeting. Your app then gets forwarded to the TC ADCOM which only meets every other week before a final decision is made.

Last edited:
During my interview last week they added that they got all of the way through the top third of the WL and part of the way into the 2nd third of the WL last year. If you are in the bottom third of the waitlist that's basically a rejection. Hope that helps and good luck! :)

Edit: They also said it's possible to hear back that you're in the high priority pool before March if both of your interviewers are available during the weekly ADCOM meeting. Your app then gets forwarded to the TC ADCOM which only meets every other week before a final decision is made.
Thanks for the update!! I wonder how many applicants are in each third of the WL.. anyone know? :)

Thanks for the update!! I wonder how many applicants are in each third of the WL.. anyone know? :)
Last year it was a little over 20 (don’t remember the exact number), but that could change year to year

Last edited:
I just interviewed the other day, and they said they confirmed they were doing more interviews this cycle than last cycle (never gave an exact number though). Also, in terms of next cycle they said the MCAT will become required again.

Edit: I heard from a reliable source they’re doing ~250 interviews this year compared to the 148 last cycle.

Last edited:
Anyone have any update on when the last interview days are?

Probably me just being paranoid, but I just want to make sure that I did not unknowingly commit to attending UMN by simply applying. I received an acceptance the other day and received another email today congratulating me on my "matriculation to UMN". I have not done anything to "accept" an offer even, but the wording just wigged me out. I have not committed to attending UMN just because I applied and got accepted, right? I just have not had any other schools say I was matriculated after being accepted.

Thank you!

Probably me just being paranoid, but I just want to make sure that I did not unknowingly commit to attending UMN by simply applying. I received an acceptance the other day and received another email today congratulating me on my "matriculation to UMN". I have not done anything to "accept" an offer even, but the wording just wigged me out. I have not committed to attending UMN just because I applied and got accepted, right? I just have not had any other schools say I was matriculated after being accepted.

Thank you!
It looks like you already got replies on the TC thread, but no, it should not be binding!

Received the high priority waitlist email today! They have 20 spots available for the rest of the interviewees. Interviewed Jan 11. IS

• Love
Received the high priority waitlist email today! They have 20 spots available for the rest of the interviewees. Interviewed Jan 11. IS
Ooooh congrats!! Anxiously waiting to hear if I'll be on high priority :) interviewed 1/26 and think it went well 🤞

Edit: This is anecdotal but the only other person to report being placed on high priority was on 1/13 which was also a Wednesday 4 weeks ago... so maybe Wednesdays are high priority decision days? Haha

Last edited:
I also received high priority waitlist pool today! Interviewed 1/19.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when the last interview day is?
I have a friend who interviews March 2nd, and they were complete shortly before the Secondary Due date (December 15th?). So maybe the first week in March might be the last week of interviews?

Received the high priority waitlist email today. Interviewed 2/4. IS. Very excited as Duluth is my top choice. Fingers crossed it turns into an A later this cycle.

Received the high priority waitlist email today. Interviewed 2/4. IS. Very excited as Duluth is my top choice. Fingers crossed it turns into an A later this cycle.
Congrats! High priority essentially means ull get the A very soon because they havent even filled all of their seats yet— so youll likely get a spot maybe sometime in march? Not sure when theyll start contacting people :)

I have a friend who interviews March 2nd, and they were complete shortly before the Secondary Due date (December 15th?). So maybe the first week in March might be the last week of interviews?
My interview is scheduled for March 22nd. When I was looking through the options the latest date I saw was March 26th. I am assuming that is the last interview date. Hope that helps! :)

My interview is scheduled for March 22nd. When I was looking through the options the latest date I saw was March 26th. I am assuming that is the last interview date. Hope that helps! :)
Thanks for sharing!! But wow.. back when I interviewed they told us they were going to be done beginning of March.. and would send out WL info after interviews are done. so now that means they wont give us more WL info likely until April now if the last day is the 26th. More waiting 😅

Thanks for sharing!! But wow.. back when I interviewed they told us they were going to be done beginning of March.. and would send out WL info after interviews are done. so now that means they wont give us more WL info likely until April now if the last day is the 26th. More waiting 😅
Also, they better send out some communication/update because waiting another month is kind of ridiculous

Is it safe to assume that they won’t be following the March 15th traffic “rule” this year? I copied the rule from the aamc website and here’s a link: Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers
  1. By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS.

Is it safe to assume that they won’t be following the March 15th traffic “rule” this year? I copied the rule from the aamc website and here’s a link: Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers
  1. By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS.
Not sure... I would lean towards thinking they won't be following it, especially since @whatsgoingonhere interviews the 22nd. The AAMC website does states its just a recommendation and is not meant to supersede school policy/protocol.

Does anyone have book, Netflix shows, or hobby recommendations to help pass the time?

Not sure... I would lean towards thinking they won't be following it, especially since @whatsgoingonhere interviews the 22nd. The AAMC website does states its just a recommendation and is not meant to supersede school policy/protocol.

Does anyone have book, Netflix shows, or hobby recommendations to help pass the time?
I am just finishing the book Educated by Tara Westover which is a really good memoir/biography! My hobby rn is studying to retake the MCAT in case I don't get in 😂 More anxious now since you got put on high priority and interviewed after me, guessing I'm going on the regular WL then. I wouldn't sweat it, I'm sure you'll get that A soon!

Just interviewed today. They stated that they are aiming for an April 5th date for admissions decisions.

Reactions: 4 users
Just for your interviews or like info out about WL stuff?
My understanding was that admissions decisions regarding acceptance to the remaining 20 slots, as well as WL and R would be made. I could have misheard, but that was my takeaway.

My understanding was that admissions decisions regarding acceptance to the remaining 20 slots, as well as WL and R would be made. I could have misheard, but that was my takeaway.
Sounds good, thanks for the update! Was just curious because they said in my WL email wed find out more info early march

Sounds good, thanks for the update! Was just curious because they said in my WL email wed find out more info early march
I think it is justifiable to give Erin a call for an update if we haven’t heard anything in late March 😏

• Care
Has anyone received financial aid/know when that will come through?

So I got this bit of info and I thought I'd drop it hear. This wasn't clear to me when I interviewed and I wanted to share it in case others didn't know this either:

I've been talking to someone who got put on the WL at Duluth last year and they told me that the update email that we're waiting for tells us all of the following:

1) Your precise numerical spot on the waitlist.
2) Which third of the waitlist you're on.
3) How likely you are to get an acceptance from that spot based on historical trends.

This may change since this was last year, but I thought I'd share it anyway just in case.

So I got this bit of info and I thought I'd drop it hear. This wasn't clear to me when I interviewed and I wanted to share it in case others didn't know this either:

I've been talking to someone who got put on the WL at Duluth last year and they told me that the update email that we're waiting for tells us all of the following:

1) Your precise numerical spot on the waitlist.
2) Which third of the waitlist you're on.
3) How likely you are to get an acceptance from that spot based on historical trends.

This may change since this was last year, but I thought I'd share it anyway just in case.
I was on the WL last year and can confirm #2 and #3. I was never told my precise numerical spot on the waitlist though.

I got that email on March 6th of last year (don’t ask why I know the exact date lol), but they’re still conducting interviews so I imagine it will be a bit later this year.