2020-2021 Oregon Health and Science University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does everyone have to provide proof of OR residency? And is that something you received before interviewing? Thanks! Just a little confused :)
I emailed them and asked and they actually responded the same day saying that I was considered a resident by just providing my address. Who knows. Maybe it was just something about someone’s application that they needed clarification on and that’s why they asked for the address. But I think you can still be considered in state even without having to provide further proof of residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I emailed them and asked and they actually responded the same day saying that I was considered a resident by just providing my address. Who knows. Maybe it was just something about someone’s application that they needed clarification on and that’s why they asked for the address. But I think you can still be considered in state even without having to provide further proof of residency.
No not someone's application , they are asking proof even though you are from Oregon... I am IS applicant and they did asked me last month for proof of OR residency . I submitted a copy of my drivers license . My application says I am in OR resident for the last 22 yrs and my parents and family live there . The admission office contacted me through email to confirm that I should be back by May 2021 to OR to maintain my resident status , reason I am student studying in another state for the last 4 yrs.

No not someone's application , they are asking proof even though you are from Oregon... I am IS applicant and they did asked me last month for proof of OR residency . I submitted a copy of my drivers license . My application says I am in OR resident for the last 22 yrs and my parents and family live there . The admission office contacted me through email to confirm that I should be back by May 2021 to OR to maintain my resident status , reason I am student studying in another state for the last 4 yrs.
Exactly. Sorry. I should have said some people’s application to imply multiple people. Overall I think there are a ton of scenarios where some people are in state but maybe through multiple ways. I know if you graduated high school or college in Oregon but don’t currently live here you’re considered in state. Same thing if you’re parents live here but you go to school elsewhere. I’m sure they’re asking people for proof for those scenarios as well. Overall I don’t think we should worry if you have or haven’t been contacted to provide further proof. If you checked the box for in state then I think you’re good unless asked otherwise for more information.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some students claim residency in the state they're studying, so it makes sense they're clarifying in your case.

I don't think they are clarifying for everyone who is IS, which is what the other user was saying.

Does everyone have to provide proof of OR residency? And is that something you received before interviewing? Thanks! Just a little confused :)
Sorry, I should have clarified! This was something I received before I received my II, like others have mentioned, they asked for proof because I am currently in another state for school.

looking for the source of your stats please...is this in public domain? Web site?
Thanks!
my classes stats were shared with us when we started (now two years out so take it for what it is):
6262 applicants, 555 interviews, 160 accepted and enrolled, 137 with Oregon ties/heritage, avg age 25, mean GPA 3.7 (science 3.63), MCAT 128/127/128/129, 36 were re-applicants

my classes stats were shared with us when we started (now two years out so take it for what it is):
6262 applicants, 555 interviews, 160 accepted and enrolled, 137 with Oregon ties/heritage, avg age 25, mean GPA 3.7 (science 3.63), MCAT 128/127/128/129, 36 were re-applicants
Thanks for sharing. By looking at the OHSU website, it looks like about a 42% chance of acceptance for IS applicants

I turned my secondary in on September 1st and I'm still not processed or complete? Should I email them?

Do you mind sharing any advice for the MPH portion of the interview?
It's a one on one conversation about your desire to pursue an MD/MPH in epidemiology specifically! Very laid back and conversational! I talked a lot about my research.

amazing!

if we're interviewing for md/mph can we get into just the md if rejected from md/mph?
Depends if you fall into the other mission groups or not. (like IS or not) Either way you have to be accepted to MD program before you can be accepted to MD/MPH but like I was ONLY eligible for MD/MPH

MD/MPH II! OOS, no other mission groups. The interview is in February. Thanks to those who have provided insight into the program already. It's been asked before, but any idea on how many people are interviewing for the 15ish spots?

• Love
MD/MPH II! OOS, no other mission groups. The interview is in February. Thanks to those who have provided insight into the program already. It's been asked before, but any idea on how many people are interviewing for the 15ish spots?
+1 !

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
If someone knows how many MPH interview days there are we could reverse engineer it because they interview 4 MD/MPH candidates/day I'm pretty sure.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
+2. Was the only option for the week of 2/08 or did anyone get interviews for a different week?

If someone knows how many MPH interview days there are we could reverse engineer it because they interview 4 MD/MPH candidates/day I'm pretty sure.
I can count 3 so far I think. But it’s just from sdn

How are folks getting ready for the mph part?

OOS II for MD/MPH!! so thrilled, this is a dream school of mine. Trying to prep for MPH interview, listening to lots of public health podcasts and books, any other ideas? :)

Can y'all getting MD/MPH interviews please share interview dates you were offered, trying to gauge how many people they are interviewing.

OHSU is already interviewing into february? my app still isn't marked complete... LizzyM 75

• Okay...
Did anyone receive an email or anything from OHSU that their casper was received?

Any regular MD ii recently?? I'm anxious.

Depends if you fall into the other mission groups or not. (like IS or not) Either way you have to be accepted to MD program before you can be accepted to MD/MPH but like I was ONLY eligible for MD/MPH
Kinda along the lines of the previous question, does anyone know if it's possible to get an MD only interview even though they applied MD/MPH?

OOS II for MD/MPH!! so thrilled, this is a dream school of mine. Trying to prep for MPH interview, listening to lots of public health podcasts and books, any other ideas? :)
My advice would be to know "why public health" for you and how you envision public health intersecting with your future career in medicine. But also, don't disregard fully prepping for the MD interview because that is your initial/primary hurdle into the MD/MPH :)

My advice would be to know "why public health" for you and how you envision public health intersecting with your future career in medicine. But also, don't disregard fully prepping for the MD interview because that is your initial/primary hurdle into the MD/MPH :)
I would also recommend (for the MD/MPH applicants) to schedule the interviews closer together/on the same day if possible. I ended up spreading mine over the entire week which I thought would give me more time to prep but kinda wiped me out by the end of the week. Anyways good luck y'all are gonna rockkkk it! The interviewers are all very kind people :)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
The process for combined degree applicants is generally different from just MD, so this is not necessarily the case for MD
Agreed, the trend seems to be MD/MPH schedules interviews 2 months out and MD 1 month out. So regular MD might be sending out January interviews now. This is just my observation from around mid/early November...so take this for a grain of salt.

are any MSTP peeps hearing anything?
If you already interviewed they said they get back to us much later and not to worry - probably February or later. If you are waiting on an II, I think they have one more MSTP interview date in January.

I got a random email from OHSU financial aid and the student information system (?). When I saw OHSU, I thought it was an II. Sad morning. :(

• Sad
I know someone in this thread mentioned that OHSU doesn’t accept pre-II application updates, but I emailed them a question today and the automated response said that they do accept application updates. Not sure if they’re referring to all applicants or just post-II, but does anyone think it’ll be helpful to send in updates now if I haven’t heard anything back?

Been complete for MD/MPH since 10/2 and the silence is excruciating.

Attachments

• 4649F48A-7283-4037-B21F-769C40FE5BF7.png
    4649F48A-7283-4037-B21F-769C40FE5BF7.png
    325.9 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: 3 users
I know someone in this thread mentioned that OHSU doesn’t accept pre-II application updates, but I emailed them a question today and the automated response said that they do accept application updates. Not sure if they’re referring to all applicants or just post-II, but does anyone think it’ll be helpful to send in updates now if I haven’t heard anything back?

FWIW I sent a post interview update that was effectively a letter of intent and heard back about my acceptance within 10 days... and that whole timespan was maybe 6 weeks from interviewing. I really really don't think it can hurt your application, unless you were to throw together something haphazardly. I would try and draw a line between being outright annoying and showing your genuine intent and interest in the program. That being said, if you are playing the field and writing letters of intent to all the programs you have applied to I would think that would be quite transparent. Also, people talk. They absolutely will accept anything you send them and respond to your email saying that they have added it to your file.

• Love

I had sent a few pre-II updates and received a response back from my latest one saying that it was added to my file! No replies for other updates though, so not sure if those were added as well. 🤷‍♂️

Just an FYI at my interview today they said they haven’t put out any acceptances yet and probably won’t until like January! So don’t stress people on hold (or people trying to gauge how full the class is), we’re probably all going to be in the same boat for a while!!

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
So if my application has been submitted since August and still isn't marked as processed, are they just never going to look at my app? I emailed awhile back but they said they don't provide updates or info till I'm processed. :unsure:

So if my application has been submitted since August and still isn't marked as processed, are they just never going to look at my app? I emailed awhile back but they said they don't provide updates or info till I'm processed. :unsure:
Some of us that submitted in July were just marked last week. Just be patient

they interview until March... so I wouldn't lose hope!

Does this school do silent pre-ii rejections? I was complete since 10/22 and still no news. Thanks

They don’t send emails about Rs or holds but they update the portal. The only email you get is for good news (Ie secondary, II, acceptance) !

I'm kind of frustrated. I submitted my secondary app on August 1st, and they still haven't processed it. Like did I just send money to a school that doesn't even have the decency to process my app?

I'm kind of frustrated. I submitted my secondary app on August 1st, and they still haven't processed it. Like did I just send money to a school that doesn't even have the decency to process my app?
I understand the frustration. Just remember that OHSU really takes their time to fill the class so even if you interview in March there are still spots in the class. Also, are you a mission student? They review mission apps first and then everyone else.

I know it's a really frustrating process! You can try to email them, they are really receptive, but it might just take a while before you hear back.

For what it's worth, my friend applied last year and didn't hear anything at all from them, then saw sdn users saying check the portal. She checked and was rejected in Feb and this was during a normal cycle. I'm sure this cycle will have similar or even longer wait times.

It's just the way OHSU does things. Not that it's a good thing, it just is.

Hold today. Interviewed 10/14.

I understand the frustration. Just remember that OHSU really takes their time to fill the class so even if you interview in March there are still spots in the class. Also, are you a mission student? They review mission apps first and then everyone else.
I'm not sure if I am. Could you explain to me what makes someone a mission student? I am not from Oregon, but am passionate about their mission. Is that what it means?