2020-2021 Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just received an email saying I'm complete, did this happen to anyone else? I submitted my secondary july 13th

got my complete email right after spending the spring time of youth getting submission on the 20th. weird

Members don't see this ad.

also are there any students lurking this thread? curious about just how much rochester is truly into the "biopsychosocial" approach

Reactions: 1 user
Are you guys under the impression that '"complete" includes receipt of CASPer results ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if anyone will have a confident answer to this, but I had a question about the "Have you have ever applied to the University of Rochester School of Medicine?" question. I applied BS/MD in high school and didn't get in, but I never submitted AMCAS or a secondary to Rochester so I want to say no, especially because I don't wanna be considered a reapplicant when I'm not. The next section asks specifically about the BS/MD program and I'm indicating that I applied to that, but I'm just not totally sure how to answer the first question.

Hey did you ever get an answer from admissions for this? I have the same question

Hey did you ever get an answer from admissions for this? I have the same question
They never emailed me back, so I just put no but still indicated that I applied to the REMS program in the section down below.

Anyone know how many lors they accept? Website just says min of 3, is there a max?

I saw for the MSTP program that they accept a minimum of 3 with up to 4 additional letters. I would think that maybe the regular MD program would also accept up to 7 letters?

Just got the II! It's my first one!!

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II just now!!! 3.85/524, went here for undergrad and masters, so it's a good sign!

Reactions: 6 users
II also - OOS, ORM, LM 80, secondary submitted 7/13, complete 8/4

Reactions: 5 users
How are you guys approaching the 4 most significant activities question? 100 words is roughly the amount of space that we got for our 700 character activity descriptions on the primary app. and since the interview is blind, what do you guys think about using those descriptions for Rochester's essays?

Reactions: 1 users
How are you guys approaching the 4 most significant activities question? 100 words is roughly the amount of space that we got for our 700 character activity descriptions on the primary app. and since the interview is blind, what do you guys think about using those descriptions for Rochester's essays?
I didn't copy and paste what I wrote on my primary but paraphrased it stating I did x, y, and z.

SOS, red alert, sirens!

I am in some doo doo. Was supposed to submit my essays by today. No problems. Finished them. Interviewing on Thursday. Accidentally hit "submit". before I copied them all into the app. Now I can't add the rest. And of course no one is responding because it's labor day weekend and premeds are the only ones who work weekends in this entire process.

How FUBARed am I?

SOS, red alert, sirens!

I am in some doo doo. Was supposed to submit my essays by today. No problems. Finished them. Interviewing on Thursday. Accidentally hit "submit". before I copied them all into the app. Now I can't add the rest. And of course no one is responding because it's labor day weekend and premeds are the only ones who work weekends in this entire process.

How FUBARed am I?

I think you’ll be fine. Most likely they’ll reopen it for you tomorrow. I can’t imagine they’ll be that harsh about it.

I think you’ll be fine. Most likely they’ll reopen it for you tomorrow. I can’t imagine they’ll be that harsh about it.
Update: they fixed it for me. My respect for Rochester adcoms is increasing.

Reactions: 6 users
For those who interviewed today/are interviewing tomorrow, when did the "Start Interview" button appear for you? I have mine tomorrow and I see no "Start Interview" button. Does it appear on the day of the interview?

For those who interviewed today/are interviewing tomorrow, when did the "Start Interview" button appear for you? I have mine tomorrow and I see no "Start Interview" button. Does it appear on the day of the interview?

I'm actually having the same issue - interviewing tomorrow and no button. It was there before but I don't see it any longer... something to email them over?

Sounds like a good idea if it specifically disappeared. Also interviewing tomorrow, with no button.

I seem to remember it being there earlier too, but not sure. But, if y'all don't see it either, then I'm assuming it's alright? Guessing it will show up tomorrow morning hopefully

II! OOS, LM 67. Complete 09/01

Last edited:
Hi, im a little confused and was hoping someone could help. Do we have to complete the essays before scheduling an interview? Or can we choose a date now and work on the essays later? Thank you!

Hi, im a little confused and was hoping someone could help. Do we have to complete the essays before scheduling an interview? Or can we choose a date now and work on the essays later? Thank you!
The essays just need to be done 3 days before your interview. You can schedule now. Make sure to SAVE and not SUBMIT until you have EVERYTHING written for ALL the questions, because it's one click and you're locked in. I messed that up and ended up submitting essays 2 days before my interview. Had no issues.

• Care
The essays just need to be done 3 days before your interview. You can schedule now. Make sure to SAVE and not SUBMIT until you have EVERYTHING written for ALL the questions, because it's one click and you're locked in. I messed that up and ended up submitting essays 2 days before my interview. Had no issues.
Awesome, thank you so much!

What are these essays? Could you share prompts?

What are these essays? Could you share prompts?
It's your four most meaningful experiences 100 words each. How you've demonstrated a commitment to serve 250 words and what sets you apart from other applicants also 250 words.

For those who have had their interviews already, did anyone experience technical issues with the individual interviews? In both of mine, the audio was severely delayed compared to the video, by as much as 8-10 seconds.

For those who have had their interviews already, did anyone experience technical issues with the individual interviews? In both of mine, the audio was severely delayed compared to the video, by as much as 8-10 seconds.
I did! My one interviewer just ended up calling me and the other one sent me their own zoom link so we could just use the app. It sounds like they’ve been having those issues with everyone (according to my interviewer)

I did! My one interviewer just ended up calling me and the other one sent me their own zoom link so we could just use the app. It sounds like they’ve been having those issues with everyone (according to my interviewer)

I see. Good to know it wasn’t just an issue on my end then

Does anyone know how long Rochester takes to process the casper score? I have sent them the score about a week ago, but they still don't have it on my portal

Does anyone know whether the regular MD program or the combined MD/MBA program has higher standards to get in? I did not realize they are separate applications, and given the fact that I'm already not a great applicant I would like to give myself the best possible shot hahaha.

Edit: I had already applied to MD/MBA, however just received an email about them being separate applications (and knowing most combined are more competitive, I am hesitant)

Last edited:
Does anyone know whether the regular MD program or the combined MD/MBA program has higher standards to get in? I did not realize they are separate applications, and given the fact that I'm already not a great applicant I would like to give myself the best possible shot hahaha.

Edit: I had already applied to MD/MBA, however just received an email about them being separate applications (and knowing most combined are more competitive, I am hesitant)

I have the exact same question and concern. Does anyone know?

For those that already interviewed here, how did it go? And the group discussion? Kinda wondering how that would work with people talking over each other

I saw that LOR are due Nov 22nd at the latest, but does anyone know if UofR will send II if only 2 are submitted so far? I have one LOR that is still being written..

For those that already interviewed here, how did it go? And the group discussion? Kinda wondering how that would work with people talking over each other

Pretty chill all around. Group discussion fortunately wasn’t very aggressive or cutthroat, people just waited to talk after someone else was finished.

Only problem was some technical issues with the individual interviews, but that might be resolved by now.