2020-2021 Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pretty chill all around. Group discussion fortunately wasn’t very aggressive or cutthroat, people just waited to talk after someone else was finished.

Only problem was some technical issues with the individual interviews, but that might be resolved by now.

That's great! Were the interviewers mostly asking generic interview questions, or were they more conversational?

Members don't see this ad.

That's great! Were the interviewers mostly asking generic interview questions, or were they more conversational?
Mine were almost exclusively conversational, both went right up to the time limit. I think it really depends on who you get to interview you!
As for the group session, echoing previous comments about it being very polite and calm

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that already interviewed here, how did it go? And the group discussion? Kinda wondering how that would work with people talking over each other
Interviewed here 2 weeks ago or so. Individual interviews were pretty chill. One went better then than the other (I really hit it off with the medical student). The group interview was not fun over Zoom, but nobody really talked over each other and everyone had really great points on the ethical discussion. I was really impressed with people's perspectives. But yeah, it's definitely less fun doing group stuff over Zoom.

Very conversational. Got like 1 "tell me about yourself" question to start and then it was all discussion.

II just now!! Submitted secondary 7/13, complete 8/4. LM 79, ORM, no ties, super excited!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Realized post sending the secondary that these guys are FIRE ... can’t believe I slept on them

Reactions: 1 users
Realized post sending the secondary that these guys are FIRE ... can’t believe I slept on them
I don't disagree, but I'm curious what makes you so enthusiastic about the school?

Reactions: 2 users
II as well! Submitted 7/14 and completed early august. LM 79, orm and out of state

Reactions: 1 user
II just now! Secondary complete 7/30. OOS (no ties) + URM

Members don't see this ad :)
hi! Just wondering for the OOS people who got interviews, did you have any ties to NY? Either by family or by prior experiences? Did the secondary application ask questions about family member ties or any other ties to Rochester?

hi! Just wondering for the OOS people who got interviews, did you have any ties to NY? Either by family or by prior experiences? Did the secondary application ask questions about family member ties or any other ties to Rochester?
I had absolutely no ties at all.

I think there was a secondary question about Rochester faculty connections? Someone will have to confirm that, I am not 100% sure.

And I am OOS with absolutely zero NY connections and I got an II a few weeks back.

No ties whatsoever.
And yes there was a question asking about faculty connections.

Nope, no ties at all.

I do have strong ties to Upstate NY.

no ties as well

II received!! Complete 08/20. OOS ORM

Reactions: 2 users
no ties

II 9/29 8:30 am LM 75 OOS ORM complete 7/23 :) the earliest interview date was Dec 3rd

For those who got an interview, when it asks you to list your 4 most meaningful experiences, are you just writing the title of it or also providing a description?

For those who got an interview, when it asks you to list your 4 most meaningful experiences, are you just writing the title of it or also providing a description?
Rochester interviews are blind. Interviewers have access only to your name, UG school, degree, and year of graduation. The only additional info they have is from what you write in these essays. So, writing just the title may not be sufficient.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to all of you receiving interviews! May I ask - did you write anything for the "challenges and/or special circumstances that impacted your application," question? I'm not sure if I should leave it blank since activities of mine got cancelled which is common.

Congrats to all of you receiving interviews! May I ask - did you write anything for the "challenges and/or special circumstances that impacted your application," question? I'm not sure if I should leave it blank since activities of mine got cancelled which is common.
I did respond to this question, but I tried to make my response as positive as possible. I briefly mentioned the disruption, but focused more on what I did to adapt in light of COVID-19.

Has Rochester sent any pre-interview R's yet? I have not head anything yet and I was complete 8/11.

To those who are interviewing, I was wondering what people's thoughts are on including a shadowing experience for one of the 4 we get to write about for the interviewers. It was pretty meaningful for me, but I wasn't sure because it's not exactly an extracurricular/volunteer experience (not sure how literal they're being or if I'm just being neurotic hahaha)

To anyone who has interviewed, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how closed-file format turned out! Did you feel constrained at all that they didn't know about all your activities, or that they don't know your "full story"? Were things you didn't mention in the 6 essays not really get brought up?

Thanks!! :D

To those who are interviewing, I was wondering what people's thoughts are on including a shadowing experience for one of the 4 we get to write about for the interviewers. It was pretty meaningful for me, but I wasn't sure because it's not exactly an extracurricular/volunteer experience (not sure how literal they're being or if I'm just being neurotic hahaha)

To anyone who has interviewed, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how closed-file format turned out! Did you feel constrained at all that they didn't know about all your activities, or that they don't know your "full story"? Were things you didn't mention in the 6 essays not really get brought up?

Thanks!! :D

My interviews went really well (I think! fingers crossed), it started out with just discussing the content of the essays (and "tell me more") but I tied in some of my other activities. I spent a lot of time talking about my hobbies in both interviews. I think closed-file (and lack of secondaries) allowed me to talk more without worrying I was repeating myself from my app.

Has anyone heard if they’ll start sending acceptances on the 15th? It looks like they started around then last year but I was curious if anyone has heard anything for this year

Has anyone heard if they’ll start sending acceptances on the 15th? It looks like they started around then last year but I was curious if anyone has heard anything for this year
They said 6-8 weeks.

CASPer scheduled for 10/29, last day that they're accepting...now i'm kicking myself wondering why I scheduled it so late but wonder if the 2 weeks or so difference of taking it earlier would really make a difference

Anyone complete around 8/11 and have NOT heard anything? I submitted 8/11 and crickets. Wondering whether to think of this as an R.

Anyone complete around 8/11 and have NOT heard anything? I submitted 8/11 and crickets. Wondering whether to think of this as an R.

Complete at end of July and haven't heard anything yet.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi guys! I’m a current student here (preclinical). If you have any questions about the school feel free to ask me. I’ve enjoyed my time here so far even in these strange times and would love to help anyone interested in Rochester out!

Reactions: 4 users
Do we know if they will start sending A’s/results tomorrow?

Looks like they did not haha... unless someone heard something? I got nothing and I interviewed like 3+ weeks ago.

Lol yeah I also didn’t hear anything. I’m sure at least one person on this thread would have shared any news they got. Guess we just gotta wait

Looks like they did not haha... unless someone heard something? I got nothing and I interviewed like 3+ weeks ago.
Lol yeah I also didn’t hear anything. I’m sure at least one person on this thread would have shared any news they got. Guess we just gotta wait
They said 6-8 weeks. Did they not mention that to you on your interview day?

They said 6-8 weeks. Did they not mention that to you on your interview day?
They never said 6-8 weeks during my Interview Day, as far as I can recall. That's something I saw on their website or in emails. Was hoping it would be quicker. I find the delays in the process fairly disrespectful to applicants.

They never said 6-8 weeks during my Interview Day, as far as I can recall. That's something I saw on their website or in emails. Was hoping it would be quicker. I find the delays in the process fairly disrespectful to applicants.
It is annoying, but am sure no one is doing it purposefully. They just have so many applicants and so much processing to do.

It is annoying, but am sure no one is doing it purposefully. They just have so many applicants and so much processing to do.
Ah yes, but what about the people who literally interviewed on the first day? I don't mean to sound pissy, but it does seem a bit unfair when we have to be so quick and diligent.

Ah yes, but what about the people who literally interviewed on the first day? I don't mean to sound pissy, but it does seem a bit unfair when we have to be so quick and diligent.
Do you think you getting pissy on SDN is going to help in any way? As a doctor (or any career, actually), you are going to need patience. Don't spoil your mood for things beyond your control.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Do you think you getting pissy on SDN is going to help in any way? As a doctor (or any career, actually), you are going to need patience. Don't spoil your mood for things beyond your control.
I would argue that there is a difference between wanting to be treated with respect and improving conditions for oneself and just complaining. I think it is instilled in us from a very early point in our careers that are disposable and can be mistreated and should just acquiesce to the status quo. That sort of mentality is what allowed for the kind of mistreatment of residents that is explored in Sam Shem's House of God. I'm really not complaining just to complain. I genuinely think that adcoms should not be allowed to get away with this kind of uncertain timeline. It's a basic respect thing.

II today (10/16)! First available date was in December. OOS with some ties to Rochester and very excited!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users