2020-2021 Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Regarding their Instagram post, if they have about 135 people accepted so far does that mean they only have 20ish available spots left or are they also including people that accepted and then declined their offer?
if I am not wrong, med schools tend to accept 2x the actual class size because admissions know that a lot of people decline the offer for other schools. So Rush should be accepting ~100-150 more people?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
No recent IIs sent out? I have seen recent pre-II Rs but not many IIs.

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding their Instagram post, if they have about 135 people accepted so far does that mean they only have 20ish available spots left or are they also including people that accepted and then declined their offer?
The 135 people accepted means just that - 135 people who have been given As. However, this includes both people who accepted the offer and those who have (or will later) declined the offer. In general med schools give out way more As than spots they have in the class under the assumption that not everyone will accept the offer.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any hope remaining for an II this late in the game?

Any hope remaining for an II this late in the game?
I would say so, if you haven't received a rejection yet then you're still in the game. Many schools are backed up, and some are getting to applications just now

I would say so, if you haven't received a rejection yet then you're still in the game. Many schools are backed up, and some are getting to applications just now
Appreciate the morale boost, just need to carry on until the finale.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Just sitting here.. wondering when the last time they accepted someone off the priority waitlist was.. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just placed on priority waitlist today as well. Did you send in an update letter?
Hey congrats man, that's still the second best option. I was bummed out pretty hard at first, but the more I think about, just gotta be optimistic that we will get taken off the list eventually!

Yeah, I sent an update letter about a month after I interviewed. But it's been a few weeks since I sent it though, so not sure how much extra weight it gave me lol

• Care
Just sitting here.. wondering when the last time they accepted someone off the priority waitlist was.. lol
I think you'll most likely get off that waitlist. I was accepted today from the priority waitlist. So hang in there.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know anything about the David Jones Peck Pre-Matriculation program? Is this what every student has to go through before matriculation?

I think you'll most likely get off that waitlist. I was accepted today from the priority waitlist. So hang in there.
Hey congrats man, that's still the second best option. I was bummed out pretty hard at first, but the more I think about, just gotta be optimistic that we will get taken off the list eventually!

Yeah, I sent an update letter about a month after I interviewed. But it's been a few weeks since I sent it though, so not sure how much extra weight it gave me lol
Thank you for the encouragement! Yeah I agree, its definitely disheartening at first. I definitely see though how an update letter can tip the scale, fingers crossed for both of us!

Congratulations!! Mind if I ask when you interviewed??

Thank you for the encouragement! Yeah I agree, its definitely disheartening at first. I definitely see though how an update letter can tip the scale, fingers crossed for both of us!

Congratulations!! Mind if I ask when you interviewed??
I interviewed on December 9th. I really like their curriculum.

II a few hours ago. I guess the cycle isn't over yet 😂

Oh wow really? Congrats that's awesome! When did you interview/when were you placed on the priority waitlist? Also did you happen to send an update letter as well?

Oh wow really? Congrats that's awesome! When did you interview/when were you placed on the priority waitlist? Also did you happen to send an update letter as well?
I’m not the person you are asking, but I was accepted off the priority waitlist on Thursday from a 12/9 interview :) I did send a letter. I had already gone through all my stages of grieving and acceptance of not getting in, but I guess the priority waitlist isn’t what I thought it was. Good luck to you as well!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I interviewed on Dec 9th and was notified of the waitlist on Dec 28th. Accepted off waitlist Feb 5th. Yay!

Reactions: 6 users
I’m not the person you are asking, but I was accepted off the priority waitlist on Thursday from a 12/9 interview :) I did send a letter. I had already gone through all my stages of grieving and acceptance of not getting in, but I guess the priority waitlist isn’t what I thought it was. Good luck to you as well!
Congrats that is amazing! I totally feel you on the grieving haha. I interviewed on 12/16 soooo hopefully I might hear something next week, fingers crossed

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone. Can anyone here speak to how relatively safe the Chicago area is to live in? I have never been to Chicago, but have heard that it's not so safe, so this is a concern for me.

Hey everyone. Can anyone here speak to how relatively safe the Chicago area is to live in? I have never been to Chicago, but have heard that it's not so safe, so this is a concern for me.
Hey! This is a really good thing to consider before coming to live here. Safety in a big city really comes down to making smart decisions with when you're commuting and where you live. I've been in Chicago for about 7 months and have never felt unsafe while living here. I regularly use the bus and train to get where I need to go and haven't run into any problems there either, but I know people who have. Typically it's when you're on public transport late at night or walking in a neighborhood you maybe shouldn't be. Chicago's wide variety of neighborhoods largely dictates your personal safety. If you're in the far south side or west side neighborhoods it's going to be less safe than if you're living in the loop, west loop, wicker park etc. (please keep in mind these are sweeping generalizations and may not always be true) Chicago has a reputation for being an unsafe city, but coming from LA it doesn't feel any more or less safe than that if that makes you feel better :)

Also, I'm stepping in here to answer any questions you guys might have about Rush! I'm a current M1 here and would love to be a resource if you guys need it.

Also, I'm stepping in here to answer any questions you guys might have about Rush! I'm a current M1 here and would love to be a resource if you guys need it.
Do you know if they offer any scholarships need-based or merit?

Do you know if they offer any scholarships need-based or merit?
Yes! They do both, but I can't give you much information about either as I didn't qualify. This is the page I'd reference if you're looking into scholarships. Their financial aid department is really good about getting back to emails if you wanted to reach out to them as well.

Yes! They do both, but I can't give you much information about either as I didn't qualify. This is the page I'd reference if you're looking into scholarships. Their financial aid department is really good about getting back to emails if you wanted to reach out to them as well.

Thank you. That really helps. Did you go through the David Jones Peck Pre-Matriculation program? Is this what all students have to complete prior to matriculation? Thanks!

Thank you. That really helps. Did you go through the David Jones Peck Pre-Matriculation program? Is this what all students have to complete prior to matriculation? Thanks!
I did not go through that program, so likely you don't need it before matriculation haha. Unless that's a new addition for this upcoming class I haven't heard anything about it.

Hey guys, one of the accepted students pmed me. I just wanted to let you know that I'm in my later clinical years here at Rush if anyone else wanted to talk!

Have you ever lived in a big city before? If so its just like that. I live on the west side about 20 minutes from downtown (I go to loyola). I live in suburbia paradise. My friend lives in the west loop which is exactly 2 mins from down town on my way into the city. She goes to rush and lives in urban paradise. That 15 min drive between us is one of the poorest areas in our country with very high crime rates. Just like any big city, there are areas that are safer than others. Chicago is also one of the biggest cities in the country. You can basically drive for an hour and still be in chicago! I hope that answers your questions.

Are they still giving out IIs here?
Not entirely sure but I think they’re website said the have interviews until February but I’m not sure whether they filled up these last two weeks, or if they have some interviews at the beginning of March because of Covid.

Just finished up with the town hall meeting today for waitlisted applicants. Figured I would share a few stats we were given to anyone who is wondering!

Rush is now approximately 4/5 of the way through their interview season. They expect to finish doing interviews by the first or second week of March.

They have accepted about 2/3 of the total applicants they were planning on accepting, meaning they will definitely be dipping into the waitlists. Sounds like priority waitlist applicants will be under active consideration until around the end of interview season, at which point they will start to figure out their class more and see who they need to round it out. Regular waitlist applicants will likely not hear back until sometime in May, possibly earlier. They do not know exactly how many people will be put on either waitlist or how many people exactly will be accepted off the waitlists.

Rush has also gotten about 95% of their students the first dose of the covid vaccine, with the second doses coming up soon for many people.

They are still expected to be partially virtual by the time of matriculation in August; however, the hope is that we will be able to have half or more of the curriculum in person. I think that's about all I have to report haha.

Reactions: 12 users
Just finished up with the town hall meeting today for waitlisted applicants. Figured I would share a few stats we were given to anyone who is wondering!

Rush is now approximately 4/5 of the way through their interview season. They expect to finish doing interviews by the first or second week of March.

They have accepted about 2/3 of the total applicants they were planning on accepting, meaning they will definitely be dipping into the waitlists. Sounds like priority waitlist applicants will be under active consideration until around the end of interview season, at which point they will start to figure out their class more and see who they need to round it out. Regular waitlist applicants will likely not hear back until sometime in May, possibly earlier. They do not know exactly how many people will be put on either waitlist or how many people exactly will be accepted off the waitlists.

Rush has also gotten about 95% of their students the first dose of the covid vaccine, with the second doses coming up soon for many people.

They are still expected to be partially virtual by the time of matriculation in August; however, the hope is that we will be able to have half or more of the curriculum in person. I think that's about all I have to report haha.
This means they still have IIs to send out?

The hero we need! Hope you get off the WL :)

Thank you for this info! It looks like II's were sent out as late as last weekend scheduling up to the next three Wednesdays. If they're planning on doing interviews up until the first or second week of March, it looks like they're nearing the end of their cycle in regards to sending out IIs. I have a feeling that if they do send any more out, it'll only be sporadically here and there :/

Put on the priority waitlist right now! Interviewed on 1/27

A! early this morning. interviewed 1/27 :D

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
is there a facebook page for admitted students?

Hey! This is a really good thing to consider before coming to live here. Safety in a big city really comes down to making smart decisions with when you're commuting and where you live. I've been in Chicago for about 7 months and have never felt unsafe while living here. I regularly use the bus and train to get where I need to go and haven't run into any problems there either, but I know people who have. Typically it's when you're on public transport late at night or walking in a neighborhood you maybe shouldn't be. Chicago's wide variety of neighborhoods largely dictates your personal safety. If you're in the far south side or west side neighborhoods it's going to be less safe than if you're living in the loop, west loop, wicker park etc. (please keep in mind these are sweeping generalizations and may not always be true) Chicago has a reputation for being an unsafe city, but coming from LA it doesn't feel any more or less safe than that if that makes you feel better :)

Hey there, would I need a car for year 1 and 2 (going from home to school, grocery shopping, etc). Sadly, covid impacted my ability to take driving classes. I am from the NE, so I am not worried about the cold weather, if that factors into having a car.