2020-2021 Saint Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Saint Louis University

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:
  • Will you be a full-time student for the 2020 - 2021 academic year? If not, please describe your current activities... (max 10,000 characters)
  • Given the disruptions caused by the pandemic, some universities issued P/F grades for Spring Semester 2020. Would you please provide details regarding how your university implemented that policy.
    If you wish, you may also add any comment you desire regarding access to letters of recommendation or MCAT challenges you encountered.
  • Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee? (10,000 characters)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary received
  • Will you be a full-time student for the 2020 - 2021 academic year? If not, please describe your current activities... (max 10,000 characters)
  • Given the disruptions caused by the pandemic, some universities issued P/F grades for Spring Semester 2020. Would you please provide details regarding how your university implemented that policy.
    If you wish, you may also add any comment you desire regarding access to letters of recommendation or MCAT challenges you encountered.
  • Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee? (10,000 characters)
@TheDataKing

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think that I should select "yes" to the full-time student question if I graduate in December?

Do you guys think that I should select "yes" to the full-time student question if I graduate in December?
I graduate in December also but I plan on answering "no" and then mentioning my graduation plus "gap semester" plans

I submitted the secondary and payment, but my letters aren’t yet listed as received (even though I know they were all with my primary app which was verified a long time ago). I’m assuming sometime soon they will be marked as received and I’ll be considered complete. Just thought I’d mention this in case anyone else freaks out, you’re not alone.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you add any additional information, or did y'all just leave that blank

Did you add any additional information, or did y'all just leave that blank

Recommended previous cycles was a why us & diversity essay combo, which is what I did

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Does anyone else have a weird issue when uploading a picture and the picture doesn't actually show up? It says the section is complete but I'm scared to submit without seeing what the picture I uploaded actually looks like (in case of formatting issues). Not sure if it's my browser or if everyone has the same problem?

Hi. Does anyone else have a weird issue when uploading a picture and the picture doesn't actually show up? It says the section is complete but I'm scared to submit without seeing what the picture I uploaded actually looks like (in case of formatting issues). Not sure if it's my browser or if everyone has the same problem?

I had the same issue but am just trusting that since it is marked as complete and let me submit that I’m good. If at a later date they realize their portal had an issue, im sure they can contact me and request I reupload a photo if it’s necessary

Experiencing the same thing. Not sure what to do.

I had the same issue but am just trusting that since it is marked as complete and let me submit that I’m good. If at a later date they realize their portal had an issue, im sure they can contact me and request I reupload a photo if it’s necessary

Okay glad it's not just me. I'm gonna submit then! Thank you!!

Does anyone else have difficulty paying? I get an error message saying " Your credit card number must be a numeric value " even though I am putting in my credit card number.

Edit: Figured it out: spacing the numbers prompts the error message

Last edited:
For the "Given the disruptions caused by the pandemic, some universities issued P/F grades for Spring Semester 2020. Would you please provide details regarding how your university implemented that policy. If you wish, you may also add any comment you desire regarding access to letters of recommendation or MCAT challenges you encountered." essay, would it be okay if I also talk about how my extracurriculars have been affected? Or, should I just stick to letters of rec and MCAT challenges which the prompt explicitly states?

For the "Given the disruptions caused by the pandemic, some universities issued P/F grades for Spring Semester 2020. Would you please provide details regarding how your university implemented that policy. If you wish, you may also add any comment you desire regarding access to letters of recommendation or MCAT challenges you encountered." essay, would it be okay if I also talk about how my extracurriculars have been affected? Or, should I just stick to letters of rec and MCAT challenges which the prompt explicitly states?

I'd be cautious here and just answer what they explicitly asked about.

For #1, "Will you be a full-time student for the 2020 - 2021 academic year? If not, please describe your current activities... (max 10,000 characters)"

I graduated in 2010. Should I talk about just what I am doing this application cycle because those are my "current activities"? OR, do they want to know what my activities have been since I graduated and consider what I've been doing since college as "current activities"?

Does anyone have thoughts on these 10k caps? I don't want to get even close to 10k on either essay because I feel like that will water down my message and waste ADCOM members' time. On the other hand, I don't want them to be so short they don't think I care. I was thinking ~3k for current activities (I am a non-trad), and ~6k for additional comments (still think that might be a bit long). No way they want to read two 10k essays.

Does anyone have thoughts on these 10k caps? I don't want to get even close to 10k on either essay because I feel like that will water down my message and waste ADCOM members' time. On the other hand, I don't want them to be so short they don't think I care. I was thinking ~3k for current activities (I am a non-trad), and ~6k for additional comments (still think that might be a bit long). No way they want to read two 10k essays.

With that character limit on optional essays, I just went with however long it took to say what I wanted to say. I just think they want to give people the flexibility!

Reactions: 4 users
If I wasn't a student during Spring 2020 Semester, what exactly should I add for the "Given the disruptions caused by the pandemic, some universities issued P/F grades for Spring Semester 2020...."? I wasn't really affected by the pandemic, the only thing that really changed was that I was working from home for a few months. Just wondering what other people will write in for that one

Can any current students elaborate on SLU and what makes it stand out from other schools? Navigating the website and I don’t see much.

Reactions: 3 users
Can any current students elaborate on SLU and what makes it stand out from other schools? Navigating the website and I don’t see much.

I think other current students would agree SLU shines the most at community service opportunities. A lot of students do long term volunteering of some sort.
Many students choose to work with the HRC but there are many more groups available. It's hard to find a list because we typically get info through weekly emails and lunch talks.

Link: Health Resource Center

Im so frustrated. Is anyone else having difficulty paying? I'm inputting all of the credit card info and then hitting "continue", but then it just brings me back to the payment tab and acts like I haven't payed yet. There's a note that says "Please click return button after you submit your payment in order to complete the payment process. Do not use the back key on your browser during the payment process."

What return button? I pressed return/enter on my Mac after hitting continue and just felt like an idiot when nothing happened lmao

Still just says payment is incomplete even though I've tried to submit like 5 times now. This is literally right after my VCU debacle which looked like a similar error - checked my bank app to see they've charged me their $80 fee TWICE--reached out for help and the lady said they didn't see ANY payment on their end. Where the heck did the money go then?! Damn near reported VCU for fraud to Chase

Sorry, if you can't tell I've just about had it with these secondaries lol

Update: I'm just a dumb ass who wasn't changing the expiration date of my card that they auto-populated. Worked fine after that. SLU I'm sorry I was angry at you. My vendetta against VCU remains.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Recommended previous cycles was a why us & diversity essay combo, which is what I did
Do you know if those people were successful? Seems like a lot of excess info for a section basically asking if you extra comments not in other parts of your app.

Edit: after reading some posts on SDN, I don't think it's a good idea to just throw in something in the additional essay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know if those people were successful? Seems like a lot of excess info for a section basically asking if you extra comments not in other parts of your app.

Edit: after reading some posts on SDN, I don't think it's a good idea to just throw in something in the additional essay.
Yeah never understood this trend of jamming why us essays into space meant for "additional comments." Maybe I'm screwing myself, but I've been leaving most of these blank unless I have like a close tie to the school or other pertinent information. I figure if they really wanted to know why I applied, wouldn't they have just asked?

Yeah never understood this trend of jamming why us essays into space meant for "additional comments." Maybe I'm screwing myself, but I've been leaving most of these blank unless I have like a close tie to the school or other pertinent information. I figure if they really wanted to know why I applied, wouldn't they have just asked?
Personally, I put in a diversity essay any briefly mentioned some stuff SLU has that aligns with it. That was really only for this school, because there weren't any other essay. I don't think it matters either way. I agree with you though that most of the time I leave optional, "anything else" prompts blank unless I have unique ties (family, area)

Yes, you're good. If they wanted diversity or something, they would've asked about it like other ones strongly hint that in their additional essay.

You're fine. If you have a genuine connection to the school or the location, or a compelling reason you want to go there (like a specific program), then it's a good idea to write about it. Otherwise, I think it's better to not make them read a forced essay.

on the other hand, this is your last chance to leave an impression unless you get an interview. I'm of the opinion that I would rather utilize every opportunity I have to tell them about myself and how my experiences/etc align with their school.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Did you guys get a promotional email from them presenting their school? I'm like "bruh i already applied" :hilarious:

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone not received the secondary?

Did you guys get a promotional email from them presenting their school? I'm like "bruh i already applied" :hilarious:
I received the promotional email, but haven't received a secondary and my AMCAS app was ready and sent out on Jul 10th :(

I got the promotional email last night and because I'm emotionally vulnerable about this whole app cycle, I applied. Those emails were targeted towards people like me. :laugh:

I also got the promotional email from them on July 24th. I also applied and already got a secondary.

Has anyone not received the secondary?

I received the promotional email, but haven't received a secondary and my AMCAS app was ready and sent out on Jul 10th :(
I haven't received mine either, and I sent mine in before July 10 also.

I haven't received mine either, and I sent mine in before July 10 also.
I emailed them and they said they actually did send it on July 11th! I checked my emails, junk, trash, everything and couldn't find any email from them. I am a reapplicant so I don't know if it was a problem with their system or what, but they gladly sent me my login information for the portal and a screenshot of the secondary email

I emailed them and they said they actually did send it on July 11th! I checked my emails, junk, trash, everything and couldn't find any email from them. I am a reapplicant so I don't know if it was a problem with their system or what, but they gladly sent me my login information for the portal and a screenshot of the secondary email
I just got it today, hope it doesn't affect me much, because there was nothing in my junk either. I think it's because its an edu email. Future applicants should avoid using an edu email.

I just got it today, hope it doesn't affect me much, because there was nothing in my junk either. I think it's because its an edu email. Future applicants should avoid using an edu email.
ahh, never thought of that but very likely

amcas verified this morning and just got sent an automatic secondary for slu ! :)

Did anyone ever get a complete email from them? I submitted 7/11.

Everytime I upload the photo it's showing up as blurry on the portal. Did this happen to anyone else?

Good to know, thanks for confirming!
You can double check in the Comms Status tab:
1596394822038.png