2020-2021 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah for sure, although it seems like they've been somewhat behind all cycle long so I'm not totally surprised
That's true, hopefully things start picking up a bit soon

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody in/accepted into Public Health Scholars program here for MD/MPH?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone called the admissions department to ask about their chance of getting off the waitlist?

Any opinions on doing it this week since it’s mid may and that’s kinda when they said we could? I’m thinking of calling.

Reactions: 1 users
Negative on movement here. Slightly surprised given the fact it’s a ranked waitlist. But it is the second week of May, so it sounds like mid May to me

Has anyone called the admissions department to ask about their chance of getting off the waitlist?

Any opinions on doing it this week since it’s mid may and that’s kinda when they said we could? I’m thinking of calling.
If you do end up calling I would appreciate if you could let us know if they tell you or not 😊

Just called and it went straight to voicemail. Anyone send an email and get a response?

Just called and it went straight to voicemail. Anyone send an email and get a response?
I sent an email to the general admissions email address about a month ago and got a reply. It did take them a few days to get back to me though.

You’re the best! Will you let us know if they get back to you? I’m thinking of calling later this week (just haven’t had a chance yesterday or today)

I sent an email to the general admissions email address about a month ago and got a reply. It did take them a few days to get back to me though.
You asked them about your chances of getting off the HPA list? If so what did they say if you don’t mind me asking

You asked them about your chances of getting off the HPA list? If so what did they say if you don’t mind me asking
I did ask, but they told me they wouldn’t know until mid-May. I will send another email this week since I think it qualifies as mid-May now!

I just called the admissions department to ask about waitlist movement. I was told that currently they don’t have that information about movement and it’ll be about 3 weeks until we see anything.

I’m appreciative they gave me an answer but a bit shocked that it’ll take so long since in the past they’ve started May 1st.

Reactions: 2 users
I just called the admissions department to ask about waitlist movement. I was told that currently they don’t have that information about movement and it’ll be about 3 weeks until we see anything.

I’m appreciative they gave me an answer but a bit shocked that it’ll take so long since in the past they’ve started May 1st.
Wowww that's crazy

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for calling but that really sucks. I wonder what’s taking so long?

Thanks for calling! I hope this doesn’t mean there will be less movement this cycle than there was previously. Fingers crossed!

thats horrible news 😭

hey guys, would anyone here happen to know more info about their med prep program or any student in the past who has done it, i would love to ask some questions

Has anyone on HPA reached out to ask about how the list is moving/chances of getting off after 5/13?

Has anyone on HPA reached out to ask about how the list is moving/chances of getting off after 5/13?
I called 5/17 and was told the only HPAL update they could give me was I would hear something by the end of the month ...seems very different from previous years and what we were told during interview day. Maybe delays due to COVID 🤷‍♀️ Hopefully good news this week!

I called 5/17 and was told the only HPAL update they could give me was I would hear something by the end of the month ...seems very different from previous years and what we were told during interview day. Maybe delays due to COVID 🤷‍♀️ Hopefully good news this week!
At least that’s more of a timeline than that “about 3 weeks” I got when I called on the 13th

Hey! Does anyone know about the situation at Geneva Tower? I am trying to get a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom apartment and I wanted to know if they fill out really fast or if they have filled out already. I was awarded the scholarship to live in the tower but I didn't realize it went to my upstate email account, I didn't reply to the housing contract (I had one for a 2 room apt) and now my housing contract has expired. I am just really disappointed that I won't be able to get a 2 bedroom apartment again.

Ah yes another week of perpetual sadness and disappointment, can’t wait for the next one

Reactions: 3 users
For those NYS residents who want to de-stress and improve their mental health. And, most importantly, put one's mind away from admissions. I suggest the Empire State Trail. There are great interpretive signs that explain nature and local history! I recently biked parts of the Hudson Valley and it did wonders to improve my positive outlook. Not to mention it helped improve my stamina and endurance.

The world is a big place. When we are all colleagues we will look back at this experience and see it's just a small bump in the road. Enjoy the long weekend with your friends and family as they will be the ones to carry us all through!

• Love
Hey everyone, I am a heavy Reddit user so I created a subreddit for Upstate. r/UpstateMed

PM the moderator (me) if you want to also head this page. I am new to creating a community and would love some moderators to join in as well as everyone else!

• Love
Guess this turned out to not be the case...

Guess this turned out to not be the case...
Obviously, they meant next month or the month after that. I do know that we will find out the final results by September or October.

I talked to someone last week who is going here and she said she’s seen people getting off the waitlist. Not many though. So it seems like a few were taken off but don’t use SDN

I emailed them a few days ago about HPAL updates and yesterday they responded saying to keep checking my email since June 1st was the timeline they were shooting for.

When I called them today, they said in previous years they have gotten to my position on the list. However, they said WL movement was happening very slowly. Not sure if this is a good sign or a bad sign. Do we think WL movement will be significantly reduced because of the uptick in applications? Or is upstate just behind on reviewing apps?

When I called them today, they said in previous years they have gotten to my position on the list. However, they said WL movement was happening very slowly. Not sure if this is a good sign or a bad sign. Do we think WL movement will be significantly reduced because of the uptick in applications? Or is upstate just behind on reviewing apps?
Thank you for sharing, I’m glad they are able to give relative list position now! I’m hoping Upstate is just behind because in previous years WL movement started happening early May and you could call and get an idea about your position mid-May.

What exactly did you ask? Because I was not able to get a statement like that lol i just got that waitlist movement started last week and it’s going slow. If any news, they’ll call.

Withdrew my WL spot. Best of luck to you all
I hope you found the med school that’s right for you! Did you withdraw because you found out your relative position on the list or other reasons?

hey guys! anyone know a good place to look for roomates to live with in geneva? is there a groupchat or something where we can find someone?

So if admissions is saying HPA list movement is happening very slowly, does that mean they won’t make it as far down the list this year?

Last edited:
So if admissions is saying HPA list movement is happening very slowly, does that mean they won’t make it as far down the list this year?
I would assume so. I emailed yesterday (since calling didn't seem to work) and got a response today about my position and chance of getting off. I was told that waitlist movement is slow this year and they likely wouldn't make it to me on the list.

However, I included asking for feedback and the only thing they said was that I was completed a little late...despite being completed August 13th. Honestly I've accepted not getting in this year but I was a bit frustrated with that.

• Care
I would assume so. I emailed yesterday (since calling didn't seem to work) and got a response today about my position and chance of getting off. I was told that waitlist movement is slow this year and they likely wouldn't make it to me on the list.

However, I included asking for feedback and the only thing they said was that I was completed a little late...despite being completed August 13th. Honestly I've accepted not getting in this year but I was a bit frustrated with that.
Damn. Sorry to hear that they likely won’t make it to you 😞 I was complete around the same time and was told my advisor this was late, as well. Frustrating because the reason this was the case was due to my MCAT being rescheduled. This cycle was just a mess. I am trying to focus on pre-writing secondaries so I am complete in July this time around. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Damn. Sorry to hear that they likely won’t make it to you 😞 I was complete around the same time and was told my advisor this was late, as well. Frustrating because the reason this was the case was due to my MCAT being rescheduled. This cycle was just a mess. I am trying to focus on pre-writing secondaries so I am complete in July this time around. Best of luck to you!
Thanks! That’s interesting they’re saying it was late to multiple people considering I feel like that’s generally early for most schools. I’m with you though about pre-writing. Good luck!

Good morning everyone :) interviewed on 2/8 and got off the HPA list on 6/8 for the Binghamton campus which wasn’t my preference but we still out here I still need to take statistics as a pre-req and was wondering if anyone knew of accredited institutions where I could take an online accelerated course. Any info is appreciated.

Good morning everyone :) interviewed on 2/8 and got off the HPA list on 6/8 for the Binghamton campus which wasn’t my preference but we still out here I still need to take statistics as a pre-req and was wondering if anyone knew of accredited institutions where I could take an online accelerated course. Any info is appreciated.
Congrats on the acceptance! You might find something here: Online Degrees and Courses from the State University of New York
There are other universities like Devry you can also look into. But SUNY Online is the most logical choice if you are IS. Good Luck!