2020-2021 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Has anyone called the admissions department to ask about their chance of getting off the waitlist?

Any opinions on doing it this week since it’s mid may and that’s kinda when they said we could? I’m thinking of calling.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone called the admissions department to ask about their chance of getting off the waitlist?

Any opinions on doing it this week since it’s mid may and that’s kinda when they said we could? I’m thinking of calling.
If you do end up calling I would appreciate if you could let us know if they tell you or not 😊
 
I just called the admissions department to ask about waitlist movement. I was told that currently they don’t have that information about movement and it’ll be about 3 weeks until we see anything.

I’m appreciative they gave me an answer but a bit shocked that it’ll take so long since in the past they’ve started May 1st.
 
I just called the admissions department to ask about waitlist movement. I was told that currently they don’t have that information about movement and it’ll be about 3 weeks until we see anything.

I’m appreciative they gave me an answer but a bit shocked that it’ll take so long since in the past they’ve started May 1st.
Wowww that's crazy
 
I just called the admissions department to ask about waitlist movement. I was told that currently they don’t have that information about movement and it’ll be about 3 weeks until we see anything.

I’m appreciative they gave me an answer but a bit shocked that it’ll take so long since in the past they’ve started May 1st.
Thanks for calling but that really sucks. I wonder what’s taking so long?
 
I just called the admissions department to ask about waitlist movement. I was told that currently they don’t have that information about movement and it’ll be about 3 weeks until we see anything.

I’m appreciative they gave me an answer but a bit shocked that it’ll take so long since in the past they’ve started May 1st.
Thanks for calling! I hope this doesn’t mean there will be less movement this cycle than there was previously. Fingers crossed!
 
I just called the admissions department to ask about waitlist movement. I was told that currently they don’t have that information about movement and it’ll be about 3 weeks until we see anything.

I’m appreciative they gave me an answer but a bit shocked that it’ll take so long since in the past they’ve started May 1st.

thats horrible news 😭
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone on HPA reached out to ask about how the list is moving/chances of getting off after 5/13?
I called 5/17 and was told the only HPAL update they could give me was I would hear something by the end of the month ...seems very different from previous years and what we were told during interview day. Maybe delays due to COVID 🤷‍♀️ Hopefully good news this week!
 
I called 5/17 and was told the only HPAL update they could give me was I would hear something by the end of the month ...seems very different from previous years and what we were told during interview day. Maybe delays due to COVID 🤷‍♀️ Hopefully good news this week!
At least that’s more of a timeline than that “about 3 weeks” I got when I called on the 13th
 
Hey! Does anyone know about the situation at Geneva Tower? I am trying to get a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom apartment and I wanted to know if they fill out really fast or if they have filled out already. I was awarded the scholarship to live in the tower but I didn't realize it went to my upstate email account, I didn't reply to the housing contract (I had one for a 2 room apt) and now my housing contract has expired. I am just really disappointed that I won't be able to get a 2 bedroom apartment again.
 
For those NYS residents who want to de-stress and improve their mental health. And, most importantly, put one's mind away from admissions. I suggest the Empire State Trail. There are great interpretive signs that explain nature and local history! I recently biked parts of the Hudson Valley and it did wonders to improve my positive outlook. Not to mention it helped improve my stamina and endurance.

The world is a big place. When we are all colleagues we will look back at this experience and see it's just a small bump in the road. Enjoy the long weekend with your friends and family as they will be the ones to carry us all through!
 
Hey everyone, I am a heavy Reddit user so I created a subreddit for Upstate. r/UpstateMed

PM the moderator (me) if you want to also head this page. I am new to creating a community and would love some moderators to join in as well as everyone else!
 
I called 5/17 and was told the only HPAL update they could give me was I would hear something by the end of the month ...seems very different from previous years and what we were told during interview day. Maybe delays due to COVID 🤷‍♀️ Hopefully good news this week!
Guess this turned out to not be the case...
 
When I called them today, they said in previous years they have gotten to my position on the list. However, they said WL movement was happening very slowly. Not sure if this is a good sign or a bad sign. Do we think WL movement will be significantly reduced because of the uptick in applications? Or is upstate just behind on reviewing apps?
 
When I called them today, they said in previous years they have gotten to my position on the list. However, they said WL movement was happening very slowly. Not sure if this is a good sign or a bad sign. Do we think WL movement will be significantly reduced because of the uptick in applications? Or is upstate just behind on reviewing apps?
Thank you for sharing, I’m glad they are able to give relative list position now! I’m hoping Upstate is just behind because in previous years WL movement started happening early May and you could call and get an idea about your position mid-May.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I called them today, they said in previous years they have gotten to my position on the list. However, they said WL movement was happening very slowly. Not sure if this is a good sign or a bad sign. Do we think WL movement will be significantly reduced because of the uptick in applications? Or is upstate just behind on reviewing apps?
What exactly did you ask? Because I was not able to get a statement like that lol i just got that waitlist movement started last week and it’s going slow. If any news, they’ll call.
 
So if admissions is saying HPA list movement is happening very slowly, does that mean they won’t make it as far down the list this year?
 
Last edited:
So if admissions is saying HPA list movement is happening very slowly, does that mean they won’t make it as far down the list this year?
I would assume so. I emailed yesterday (since calling didn't seem to work) and got a response today about my position and chance of getting off. I was told that waitlist movement is slow this year and they likely wouldn't make it to me on the list.

However, I included asking for feedback and the only thing they said was that I was completed a little late...despite being completed August 13th. Honestly I've accepted not getting in this year but I was a bit frustrated with that.
 
I would assume so. I emailed yesterday (since calling didn't seem to work) and got a response today about my position and chance of getting off. I was told that waitlist movement is slow this year and they likely wouldn't make it to me on the list.

However, I included asking for feedback and the only thing they said was that I was completed a little late...despite being completed August 13th. Honestly I've accepted not getting in this year but I was a bit frustrated with that.
Damn. Sorry to hear that they likely won’t make it to you 😞 I was complete around the same time and was told my advisor this was late, as well. Frustrating because the reason this was the case was due to my MCAT being rescheduled. This cycle was just a mess. I am trying to focus on pre-writing secondaries so I am complete in July this time around. Best of luck to you!
 
Last edited:
Damn. Sorry to hear that they likely won’t make it to you 😞 I was complete around the same time and was told my advisor this was late, as well. Frustrating because the reason this was the case was due to my MCAT being rescheduled. This cycle was just a mess. I am trying to focus on pre-writing secondaries so I am complete in July this time around. Best of luck to you!
Thanks! That’s interesting they’re saying it was late to multiple people considering I feel like that’s generally early for most schools. I’m with you though about pre-writing. Good luck!
 
Good morning everyone 🙂 interviewed on 2/8 and got off the HPA list on 6/8 for the Binghamton campus which wasn’t my preference but we still out here [emoji3060]I still need to take statistics as a pre-req and was wondering if anyone knew of accredited institutions where I could take an online accelerated course. Any info is appreciated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good morning everyone 🙂 interviewed on 2/8 and got off the HPA list on 6/8 for the Binghamton campus which wasn’t my preference but we still out here [emoji3060]I still need to take statistics as a pre-req and was wondering if anyone knew of accredited institutions where I could take an online accelerated course. Any info is appreciated.
Congrats on the acceptance! You might find something here: Online Degrees and Courses from the State University of New York
There are other universities like Devry you can also look into. But SUNY Online is the most logical choice if you are IS. Good Luck!