2020-2021 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have nothing against drugs and I certainly can't judge, but it's not worth the risk for a few weeks' worths of highs. At the very least, save it until you're in preclinical, most schools won't randomly spot drug test you after matriculation & before rotations.
If only I had friends like you in college lol, but that’s true I have reached so far and I can’t make a stupid error now. Thanks for your insight man

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe this is the week that end of January / Feb 1st interviews hear back?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
HPA. Interviewed 1/20. I'm so done lol
Congratulations on HPA.
Most med schools at this time have filled up. Thus, even if you are the best applicant, you would receive a high priority alternate (or some other variant).

i interviewed in January and was placed on the HPA today. I was wondering if anyone knows how FAFSA works regarding transferring funds. By the time I get a decision I will already have paid my tuition with federal aid to a DO school. If I was to get accepted to Upstate I would go there, but I’m not sure how loan money works in this case. The DO school says they offer full refunds before classes start.

Anyone know how long it takes to get a decision once the portal says "Your application is under committee review, and you will be notified as soon as a decision has been made." ?

Anyone know how long it takes to get a decision once the portal says "Your application is under committee review, and you will be notified as soon as a decision has been made." ?
Mine has been like that since I interviewed on 2/1.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know about the MedSET program/if it would be a good option?
As @Vanilla96 mentioned, MedSET is a program whereby you essentially get a "first pass" for a significant portion of the MS1 classes. You get to experience the anatomy lab. While the program is certainly beneficial for learning content, I think the largest benefit, for me anyway, was navigating how to study in medical school. Since it is a truly "pass/fail" course, it was good to experiment with different study techniques. I also enjoyed being in the area early for research, for those interested.

It may be difficult to get into MedSET since the limited space is reserved for those students accepted in qualifying programs (i.e. CSTEP) or non-traditional students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone emailed/called admissions to find out their chances of getting off the HPA? Is it still to early to do so?

I think it is probably a bit too early since people in February are still waiting to hear back

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 1/27.. portal says decision made. anyone know how long till I know the decision?

Interviewed 1/27.. portal says decision made. anyone know how long till I know the decision?
Usually in a day or two.

I interviewed first week of Feb and still nothing.

For the people that got waitlisted, did your portal change to "decision made" before finding out that you got waitlisted? Or did you just get an email later letting know of that?

For the people that got waitlisted, did your portal change to "decision made" before finding out that you got waitlisted? Or did you just get an email later letting know of that?
I was notified by email. Portal didn’t change beforehand

So there is a waitlist and a high-priority waitlist right? Nobody ever comes off regular waitlist?

So there is a waitlist and a high-priority waitlist right? Nobody ever comes off regular waitlist?
Yup, apparently HPW has a lot of movement but no one has been of the “regular” waitlist since like 2009 or something like that. Can’t quite remember the year that was said but it was a while ago!

My portal said decision made for a day. I got the HPA email the day after my portal status changed, but that was the first week of March. My portal has yet to update to the HPA decision.

Will be withdrawing. Hope the A goes to one of you! :)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Application status just changed to "decision made." Interviewed on 1/27.

Application status disappeared.. interviewed 2/1. Anyone else?

edit: Just realized it was in another area, decision made.

Last edited:
Portal just changed to acceptance! Interviewed 2/1.

Reactions: 1 users
My portal just changed to acceptance as well! Interviewed 1/27.

Congratulations! Did it say "Decision Made" before or did it go straight to acceptance?
Thank you! The page that loads right after login indicated the acceptance and provided a link to pay a deposit. I'm happy to answer any other questions!

Same! so excited. Are any of you guys able to open the acceptance letter? It is giving me an error message.
Congratulations, all! I wasn't able to open the acceptance letter either, but there was a link to pay a deposit.

Congratulations, all! I wasn't able to open the acceptance letter either, but there was a link to pay a deposit.
Seems like Chrome does not work to open the letter. I used Safari, and I was able to open it.

Any Feb interviewees after 2/1 hear back this week?

Portal shows decision made, interviewed 2nd week of Feb!

Portal shows decision made, interviewed 2nd week of Feb!
Which date did you interview? I interviewed on 2/10 and it still says "Your application is under committee review, and you will be notified as soon as a decision has been made."

Which date did you interview? I interviewed on 2/10 and it still says "Your application is under committee review, and you will be notified as soon as a decision has been made."
2/8

Ah okay! Hope its good news for you. I hope my portal changes soon. I've gotten ignored by two other NY schools since January.
Same for you! May is coming up so even if we get WL'd, there's always hope for movement soon.

Update: Portal changed to an A! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users