2020-2021 Toledo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Toledo

Prompts for 2020-2021:

We invite you to briefly discuss any other connections you may have to The University of Toledo, the UToledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences, the city of Toledo, or the region of Northwest Ohio or to provide additional information about the affiliations you noted above. (500 words)
----
If you feel you have any aspects of your record that may potentially negatively influence your application to our medical school, we encourage you to use this space to discuss them in order to provide the admissions committee with further context about your application. (Examples of possible topics include MCAT scores lower than our class average, low grades, withdrawn course, institutional action/student conduct violation.) (500 words)
----
The Admissions Committee considers a wide variety of factors in evaluating applicants, including fit between applicants and our program’s mission, goals, and culture. In the essays below, we invite you to share information about yourself with regard to two aspects of our program. We encourage you to provide information and insights that may not be easily gleaned from other aspects of your medical school application. In responding to the essay prompts below, you should interpret the questions to the best of your ability.

One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves cultural competence. The competency involves several distinct domains, including:

a. Demonstrating knowledge of socio-cultural factors that affect interactions and behaviors;
b. Showing an appreciation and respect for multiple dimensions of diversity;
c. Recognizing and acting on the obligation to inform one's own judgment;
d. Engaging diverse and competing perspectives as a resource for learning, citizenship, and work;
e. Recognizing and appropriately addressing bias in selves and others;
f. Interacting effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.

Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your level of competence in one of the above domains. (Clearly indicate which of the six domains above that you are responding to.) As part of your discussion, explain how you feel this experience will impact your future contribution to the culture of diversity and inclusion at The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences and later in your career as a physician. (600 words)
----
One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves resilience and adaptability. This competency involves the ability to tolerate stressful or changing environments or situations and adapt effectively to them. Additional characteristics of this competency are persistence and the ability to recover from setbacks. (600 words)
----
(Optional) Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the corona virus (COVID-19) public health crisis. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine. (You will have an opportunity to specifically discuss impacts to your coursework/grades in a separate item.) (600 words

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Here are the prompts!

We invite you to briefly discuss any other connections you may have to The University of Toledo, the UToledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences, the city of Toledo, or the region of Northwest Ohio or to provide additional information about the affiliations you noted above. (500 words)
----
If you feel you have any aspects of your record that may potentially negatively influence your application to our medical school, we encourage you to use this space to discuss them in order to provide the admissions committee with further context about your application. (Examples of possible topics include MCAT scores lower than our class average, low grades, withdrawn course, institutional action/student conduct violation.) (500 words)
----
The Admissions Committee considers a wide variety of factors in evaluating applicants, including fit between applicants and our program’s mission, goals, and culture. In the essays below, we invite you to share information about yourself with regard to two aspects of our program. We encourage you to provide information and insights that may not be easily gleaned from other aspects of your medical school application. In responding to the essay prompts below, you should interpret the questions to the best of your ability.

One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves cultural competence. The competency involves several distinct domains, including:

a. Demonstrating knowledge of socio-cultural factors that affect interactions and behaviors;
b. Showing an appreciation and respect for multiple dimensions of diversity;
c. Recognizing and acting on the obligation to inform one's own judgment;
d. Engaging diverse and competing perspectives as a resource for learning, citizenship, and work;
e. Recognizing and appropriately addressing bias in selves and others;
f. Interacting effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.

Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your level of competence in one of the above domains. (Clearly indicate which of the six domains above that you are responding to.) As part of your discussion, explain how you feel this experience will impact your future contribution to the culture of diversity and inclusion at The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences and later in your career as a physician. (600 words)
----
One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves resilience and adaptability. This competency involves the ability to tolerate stressful or changing environments or situations and adapt effectively to them. Additional characteristics of this competency are persistence and the ability to recover from setbacks. (600 words)
----
(Optional) Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the corona virus (COVID-19) public health crisis. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine. (You will have an opportunity to specifically discuss impacts to your coursework/grades in a separate item.) (600 words)

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if Toledo pre-screens for secondaries? Havent heard anything from them yet...

Would it be silly to use the connections section to put a "why Toledo" essay? I have no connections to the school or state

Will it negatively affect my chance if I don't have any connections to answer the #1?

Reactions: 1 user
Would it be silly to use the connections section to put a "why Toledo" essay? I have no connections to the school or state

I personally didn't. I feel that they are looking for specific connections, but if other people did it then I don't see why it would hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
“We invite you to briefly discuss any other connections you may have to The University of Toledo, the UToledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences, the city of Toledo, or the region of Northwest Ohio or to provide additional information about the affiliations you noted above.” I already submitted my secondary but was I correct in not answering this if I’m IS but not from northwest Ohio region?

“We invite you to briefly discuss any other connections you may have to The University of Toledo, the UToledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences, the city of Toledo, or the region of Northwest Ohio or to provide additional information about the affiliations you noted above.” I already submitted my secondary but was I correct in not answering this if I’m IS but not from northwest Ohio region?

I feel like it would have been a good idea, but you should be fine. I'm OOS and I heard about this school from a close family friend who goes there, and I completely forgot to mention her in this question smh

Does anyone know if they require CASPer? I remember seeing somewhere that a "situational judgment test" is required, but I don't see Toledo as an option to distribute CASPer to.

They said in my email with the secondary that they screened my AMCAS app

Did they say what the screen was by chance? Havent heard from them at all and I was verified June 10... Im OOS but curious what their MCAT/GPA cutoffs are if they do screen for secondary apps

Did they say what the screen was by chance? Havent heard from them at all and I was verified June 10... Im OOS but curious what their MCAT/GPA cutoffs are if they do screen for secondary apps

This is what their website says: " We are waiving the requirement of a posted MCAT score for eligibility for a UToledo Secondary Application. At the stage when we screen for eligibility for a Secondary Application, our review of metrics in the absence of MCAT scores will focus on undergraduate grade point average (GPA), grade trends, graduate and post-graduate/graduate program grades, and similar information. While applicants invited to submit a secondary have a wide range of undergraduate GPAs, typically applicants with a GPA lower than 2.8 on a 4.0 scale are not as likely to be invited for an interview as those with a GPA of 2.9/4.0 and above. Remember: You may still apply even if you will not have an MCAT score by the time that AMCAS applications are released to medical schools. MCAT scores will still be required for most applicants prior to receipt of an invitation for an interview. "

This is what their website says: " We are waiving the requirement of a posted MCAT score for eligibility for a UToledo Secondary Application. At the stage when we screen for eligibility for a Secondary Application, our review of metrics in the absence of MCAT scores will focus on undergraduate grade point average (GPA), grade trends, graduate and post-graduate/graduate program grades, and similar information. While applicants invited to submit a secondary have a wide range of undergraduate GPAs, typically applicants with a GPA lower than 2.8 on a 4.0 scale are not as likely to be invited for an interview as those with a GPA of 2.9/4.0 and above. Remember: You may still apply even if you will not have an MCAT score by the time that AMCAS applications are released to medical schools. MCAT scores will still be required for most applicants prior to receipt of an invitation for an interview. "

Maybe it is a coincidence, but I did not receive my secondary until the day I received my MCAT.

I was also wondering if someone had any insight into these questions:

"The Admissions Committee will use your college transcripts as reported and verified by AMCAS to determine completion (to date) of course requirements. Because of the wide variety of course offerings and naming conventions at colleges and universities, course content is not always obvious from course titles alone. Please use the space below to provide any explanation of coursework you are using to satisfy the Toledo prerequisites that may not be obvious from your transcript (e.g., a course listed as “writing intensive” to satisfy the English prerequisite, an interdisciplinary science course to satisfy General Chemistry and Biology). "

I understand these are examples, but English is not a requirement here anymore, so I am a little confused about it being in the example. I feel weird not mentioning it in my answer, but then it would seem like I don't really know the requirements, right?

"Please indicate in the space below any other recommended coursework you have completed with a grade of C or above. (Do not include any of the courses you indicated as a prerequisite above.)"

So I have a degree in psychology and sociology related degree. I have a TON of psychology and social science courses. Do they really want us to list out all of these courses? That seems excessive to me.

Are y'all doing the full 600 words for each prompt that requires it? I feel like most of these can be answered in 400-500 words, 600 seems like a lot of fluff imo

Are y'all doing the full 600 words for each prompt that requires it? I feel like most of these can be answered in 400-500 words, 600 seems like a lot of fluff imo
I had near 600 words in one and about 475 in another. If you answer the questions fully you will be fine!

Reactions: 1 users
Current M1 here at UT. If y’all have any questions about the curriculum, interview day, daily life here, or anything really just let me know.

OOS from Florida but deep ties to Toledo, is it worth it to apply?

Is it worth applying here if your OOS with absolutely no ties? I know they also have a BS/MD prog. here so I don't know if this also reduces the amount of spots significantly in addition to the IS bias. Received secondary, but not sure if it's worth submitting.

Is it worth applying here if your OOS with absolutely no ties? I know they also have a BS/MD prog. here so I don't know if this also reduces the amount of spots significantly in addition to the IS bias. Received secondary, but not sure if it's worth submitting.
Their BS/MD program only has about 8 people, and their OOS interview rate is about 2.5%. MSAR is your friend.

Seems like the entire state of Ohio is getting ghosted save a few LizzyM>80's getting II's from OSU

Reactions: 7 users
hoepfully this is the year toledo looks at me well. I am an OOS but I interviewed for toledos medstart program earlier this year and got rejected after interview and now I'm applying a a regular candidate. Hopefully I get some brownie point hahaha

Reactions: 1 users
hoepfully this is the year toledo looks at me well. I am an OOS but I interviewed for toledos medstart program earlier this year and got rejected after interview and now I'm applying a a regular candidate. Hopefully I get some brownie point hahaha

best of luck fam!

has anyone gotten II/hold/R yet? In their complete email it said interviews will start in Aug

How long did the review process take for everyone before receiving the secondary application?

Hey guys, quick question: does your application says “ready for review” or “your application is under review”?

Mine says the latter so just curious.

Hey guys, quick question: does your application says “ready for review” or “your application is under review”?

Mine says the latter so just curious.

Mine says "your application is under review" although I think it said, "ready for review last week?"

How long did the review process take for everyone before receiving the secondary application?
It was a day for me. AAMC verified on 19th, secondary received on 20th, submitted on 22nd and got secondary and completed email together. I’m IS so it might be bcoz of that.

Last edited:
Mine says "your application is under review" although I think it said, "ready for review last week?"
That’s what I thought too.. in the complete email they said, the application status should says “ready for review” so I was wondering if our application status has changed since then. Do you mind me asking if you’re IS or OOS?

That’s what I thought too.. in the complete email they said, the application status should says “ready for review” so I was wondering if our application status has changed since then. Do you mind me asking if you’re IS or OOS?

Sure! I am out of state but have family outside of Toledo, OH.

Mine has said "Under Review" since the day I submitted. Don't think it means anything

Reactions: 1 user
I mean all the Ohio schools seem super delayed. Only OSU has sent many at all
It might be a coincidence, but it might be worth pointing out that almost every OSU interview on the tracker is out of state despite half of their incoming class being from Ohio. Since Toledo started sending II's out July 23rd last year I would have expected them to start sending them out by now. It seems that with careful planning all these Ohio schools would be able to easily send out some II's while still saving slots for those who applied late due to delayed MCATs.

yes, prob around 2027 . 2026 the earliest

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users