2022-2023 Toledo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @icedsoylatte and @fatherbuckeye for sharing this year's questions

2022-2023 Toledo Secondary Essay Prompts
One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves cultural competence. The competency involves several distinct domains, including:
a. Demonstrating knowledge of socio-cultural factors that affect interactions and behaviors;
b. Showing an appreciation and respect for multiple dimensions of diversity;
c. Recognizing and acting on the obligation to inform one's own judgment;
d. Engaging diverse and competing perspectives as a resource for learning, citizenship, and work;
e. Recognizing and appropriately addressing bias in selves and others;
f. Interacting effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.

1. Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your level of competence in one of the above domains. (Clearly indicate which of the six domains above that you are responding to.) As part of your discussion, explain how you feel this experience will impact your future contribution to the culture of diversity and inclusion at The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences and later in your career as a physician.
  2. One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves resilience and adaptability. This competency involves the ability to tolerate stressful or changing environments or situations and adapt effectively to them. Additional characteristics of this competency are persistence and the ability to recover from setbacks. Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your level of competence in resilience and adaptability as described above. As part of your discussion, explain how you feel this experience will help you meet new challenges you may face in medical school.
  3. (Optional) Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the corona virus (COVID-19) public health crisis. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine. (You will have an opportunity to specifically discuss impacts to your coursework/grades in a separate item.)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Incoming M1 to UT! Lmk if you have any questions about the application cycle and what caught my eye about campus :)

Hello, @Conics98! Thank you for coming back to answer questions. I just wanted to ask if you were IS or OOS? Also, how are the research opportunities there? Are they more community or research focused?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, @Conics98! Thank you for coming back to answer questions. I just wanted to ask if you were IS or OOS? Also, how are the research opportunities there? Are they more community or research focused?
Hey there! So I'm IS but it's also worth mentioning that Toledo gives extra preference to people from northwest Ohio, and if you check the class profile page on their website they make sure to subdivide the IS people sorta like this. I'm not from NW OH but I have ties to the area.

I haven't matriculated there yet so I might not be the best person to comment on it but they do have (paid 🤑) summer research initiatives that get started in the summer after M1. Beyond that, if you want research you might be facing an uphill battle as Toledo isn't exactly a research powerhouse. I've heard that people will find research outside of Toledo (places like Michigan, OSU, and even the Cleveland Clinic) to make up for what isn't in the city. I'm fortunate enough to have some connections for research before matriculating so that if coursework stays afloat, I can dabble in some light projects before the summer research stuff.

I wouldn't say Toledo tries to focus on research or community specifically, but I do think they do a better job of community work than they do putting out research. They have a free care clinic which is actually very good, and can help everyone from M1 to M4 and beyond learn clinical skills that will translate well to a traditional hospital environment.

Hope this helps!

Hey there! So I'm IS but it's also worth mentioning that Toledo gives extra preference to people from northwest Ohio, and if you check the class profile page on their website they make sure to subdivide the IS people sorta like this. I'm not from NW OH but I have ties to the area.

I haven't matriculated there yet so I might not be the best person to comment on it but they do have (paid 🤑) summer research initiatives that get started in the summer after M1. Beyond that, if you want research you might be facing an uphill battle as Toledo isn't exactly a research powerhouse. I've heard that people will find research outside of Toledo (places like Michigan, OSU, and even the Cleveland Clinic) to make up for what isn't in the city. I'm fortunate enough to have some connections for research before matriculating so that if coursework stays afloat, I can dabble in some light projects before the summer research stuff.

I wouldn't say Toledo tries to focus on research or community specifically, but I do think they do a better job of community work than they do putting out research. They have a free care clinic which is actually very good, and can help everyone from M1 to M4 and beyond learn clinical skills that will translate well to a traditional hospital environment.

Hope this helps!
It does! Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Anyone know if Toledo considers Monroe County, MI as part of in-state tuition? I know they do this at the undergraduate level but I'm unsure about the graduate level.

Anyone know if Toledo considers Monroe County, MI as part of in-state tuition? I know they do this at the undergraduate level but I'm unsure about the graduate level.
I know someone who is OOS (MI) and received in-state tuition after a year of attending the med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does Toledo feel about applicants from southeastern MI

How does Toledo feel about applicants from southeastern MI
Based on last year's class profile, 74% of their students are OH residents (130); however, 21 MI residents also matriculated. This is by far more than any other state and seems to me that MI residents should most definitely apply. I certainly will be!

Secondary Received! I submitted my primary on day one. I believe the prompts are the same as last year. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Can we get the secondary prompts posted here please?
One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves cultural competence. The competency involves several distinct domains, including:
a. Demonstrating knowledge of socio-cultural factors that affect interactions and behaviors;
d. Engaging diverse and competing perspectives as a resource for learning, citizenship, and work;

1. Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your level of competence in one of the above domains. (Clearly indicate which of the six domains above that you are responding to.) As part of your discussion, explain how you feel this experience will impact your future contribution to the culture of diversity and inclusion at The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences and later in your career as a physician.
  2. One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves resilience and adaptability. This competency involves the ability to tolerate stressful or changing environments or situations and adapt effectively to them. Additional characteristics of this competency are persistence and the ability to recover from setbacks. Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your level of competence in resilience and adaptability as described above. As part of your discussion, explain how you feel this experience will help you meet new challenges you may face in medical school.
  3. (Optional) Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the corona virus (COVID-19) public health crisis. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine. (You will have an opportunity to specifically discuss impacts to your coursework/grades in a separate item.)

Reactions: 3 users
Received secondary. Didn't realize they screened - what do they screen for?

@wysdoc

Are other people writing 600 words for their prompts? Seems like a lot for pretty specific questions.

Are other people writing 600 words for their prompts? Seems like a lot for pretty specific questions.
I tried to hit 300-400. I didn’t feel adding more words to reach the max would have benefited me and I would have felt like I was rambling. Quality over quantity.

I have no connections here, but it feels so wrong to leave that question blank :( any advice?

I have no connections here, but it feels so wrong to leave that question blank :( any advice?
I think it would be better to leave it blank than to answer with just fluff if you don't have any real connection.

Hey everyone, congratulations on taking the next step in your pre-med journey!

This account is run by UTCOMLS Ambassadors, a group of medical and graduate students at The University of Toledo. Among other things, we work with the Dean's Office and the Office of Admissions to help bridge the gap between current and prospective students on the Health Science Campus. As this cycle begins rolling and many of you are submitting applications, we are happy to answer any questions that you may have related to our school. Please feel free to reach out to us on this thread, through a private message, or at our e-mail and we will be happy to help. Please note that we do not have access to applications and are unable to answer application-specific questions. Good luck to all current applicants!

Email: [email protected]
Facebook: University of Toledo COMLS Ambassadors
Instagram: @utcomls.ambassadors

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, congratulations on taking the next step in your pre-med journey!

This account is run by UTCOMLS Ambassadors, a group of medical and graduate students at The University of Toledo. Among other things, we work with the Dean's Office and the Office of Admissions to help bridge the gap between current and prospective students on the Health Science Campus. As this cycle begins rolling and many of you are submitting applications, we are happy to answer any questions that you may have related to our school. Please feel free to reach out to us on this thread, through a private message, or at our e-mail and we will be happy to help. Please note that we do not have access to applications and are unable to answer application-specific questions. Good luck to all current applicants!

Email: [email protected]
Facebook: University of Toledo COMLS Ambassadors
Instagram: @utcomls.ambassadors
Do you know when interviews will begin coming out?

How friendly is Toledo with OOS applicants, especially those from Southeast Michigan?
Pretty friendly! Michigan is where most OOS students come from at UTCOMLS. You can take a look at class profiles from the past few years here to get a better idea of exact numbers. Anecdotally, I am one of those OOS students from Southeast Michigan :)

Toledo is pretty selective about who they interview, especially OOS students. There has been a high post-interview acceptance rate for OOS students in past years, just to give some perspective.

If you select yes for the gap year question is a pop-up textbox supposed to appear? I think last year there was a 300-word space to describe gap year activities but I don't see anything currently.

If you select yes for the gap year question is a pop-up textbox supposed to appear? I think last year there was a 300-word space to describe gap year activities but I don't see anything currently.
The same thing happened on mine. I never saw a box appear even after logging out and re loading.

@UTCOMLS_Ambassadors what does Toledo consider to be significant ties to Toledo? Living there before? Parents working at the hospital(s) associated with UT?
Thank you!
I don’t think we have specific guidelines for what those ties are but having lived in Toledo, parents or other family members working at UT/the affiliated hospitals, or family just living in Toledo are all examples that I can think of. I personally have a family member that works on UT’s main campus and mentioned that when I was applying!

Hey y'all!!! I already said it earlier this thread, but I'm a current M1 at UTMed and here to answer questions if you guys have em!

Are you from NW Ohio?
I'm not from NW Ohio nor did I go to UT but I have familial ties to the area and to UT! If you want to see what our class breakdown looks like, including from which areas, check here, as it was just updated with details about our incoming class of '22!

hello :) i was wondering what the instruction style is (lecture, case based, etc)?
Hey there! In a nutshell, UTMed is mainly a lecture based institution. However, they do get us to think a lot about "how does this translate into clinical care?" during every lecture. Just to give you an idea of how far reaching this can go, here are a few examples from our classes in our first system, human blueprint:

MRIs: why is it important to be able to measure the velocity of fluids in the body? Blood flow! Now here's what we can find if we detect an abnormal velocity...

Actin: where can they be found in the cells? How can their function be altered in cancer, and what meds can we use to target those cells? What does the poison of the death cap mushroom do to actin that's so dangerous, but also why is the death cap mushroom poison so useful in research?

Mutations: what are some different types of mutations and can you name some diseases that are examples of each? From here, you will get professors asking about how said diseases would present in clinic. Then we get questions to answer: clinical vignettes with a list of symptoms that may ask us what the underlying gene or mutation is.

In short, within one lecture, you will get a topic, integrate said topic, and then use the knowledge in clinical vignettes by the end of the hour. Furthermore, we have team-based learning (TBL) exercises with learning groups. In TBL groups, we take our group readiness assessment tests (GRATs) together, most often answering clinical based questions, which does really integrate even more case based learning into the curriculum.

So to answer your question: lecture based with some case-based stuff appropriately sprinkled into the curriculum. You DO get an education that can start at the basics and build up quickly to the point where you can answer a good amount of clinical scenarios plus more opportunities to learn cases.

Hope it helps and good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
How long does it take for letters to get marked received? Mine are still showing as not received, although they show up under document status.

Hey guys, quick question. I received the secondary on August 2nd. Would it be too late to submit it now if I wanted to, or would I still be a competitive applicant if I were to submit now? Thanks for the input.

Hey guys, quick question. I received the secondary on August 2nd. Would it be too late to submit it now if I wanted to, or would I still be a competitive applicant if I were to submit now? Thanks for the input.
Just go ahead and submit. I have some classmates here who submitted after you and keep in mind the first interviews haven't even gone out yet.

• Care