2020-2021 UC San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else not hear anything back from student housing?

also for any students who didn’t matriculate anywhere- if you’d like shoot me a pm and maybe I can’t provide you some good tips. I’ve applied twice and got in twice(had to withdraw) so I think I sorta figured out some tips n tricks along the way!
After you submit the application, you probably won't hear anything until you receive a housing offer (which is typically 2-6 weeks before your requested move in date). You can email them if you want an update or have questions, they've been pretty responsive with me :)

Members don't see this ad.

After you submit the application, you probably won't hear anything until you receive a housing offer (which is typically 2-6 weeks before your requested move in date). You can email them if you want an update or have questions, they've been pretty responsive with me :)
I'm glad at least housing is responsive compared to admissions.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, just don't try to call the housing phone line lol. I think they're sending my voicemails to the void :(
Well, admissions did reply to me to help answer a question not related to the waitlist. But outside of that, I've been left on read when I tried to ask about waitlist news.

Went ahead and emailed housing and they replied in like 30 minutes! Meanwhile still waiting for admin to help me create an email because tech support couldn’t figure it out... anyone else having this issue?

Went ahead and emailed housing and they replied in like 30 minutes! Meanwhile still waiting for admin to help me create an email because tech support couldn’t figure it out... anyone else having this issue?
I had issues getting into TritonLink. It wouldn't let me sign in without activating Duo, then wouldn't let me activate Duo until I entered in my emergency contact info, and finally wouldn't let me enter my emergency contact info without activating Duo...took an afternoon with tech support to get it figured out. Haven't even tried to figure out the email yet haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Im not sure how housing works, but is the housing waitlist just one list? And when it’s your turn you can choose the available housing? Or when you complete the housing app, you rank what you want and that’s how you are offered housing?

I wasn’t able to access the housing portal or create an app Bc I wasn’t able to create a temporary account and I’m stuck in that weird duo loop. ITS just put me on the wait list with an incomplete app, but I haven’t heard back anything.

And If anyone was able to escape the loop, who did you contact? thank you!!!

Hi! Im not sure how housing works, but is the housing waitlist just one list? And when it’s your turn you can choose the available housing? Or when you complete the housing app, you rank what you want and that’s how you are offered housing?

I wasn’t able to access the housing portal or create an app Bc I wasn’t able to create a temporary account and I’m stuck in that weird duo loop. ITS just put me on the wait list with an incomplete app, but I haven’t heard back anything.

And If anyone was able to escape the loop, who did you contact? thank you!!!
I think the thing that worked for me in the end was resetting my password for all of my accounts (Active Directory and TritonLink) using this: UCSD :: Password Change Tool (or something similar?? Google UCSD password reset).

Last edited:
I had issues getting into TritonLink. It wouldn't let me sign in without activating Duo, then wouldn't let me activate Duo until I entered in my emergency contact info, and finally wouldn't let me enter my emergency contact info without activating Duo...took an afternoon with tech support to get it figured out. Haven't even tried to figure out the email yet haha.
Lol I had similar issues but the email still won’t work for me lol.... let me know if it works for you

Anyone know if there’s been waitlist movement? Or if there will be more?

Anyone know if there’s been waitlist movement? Or if there will be more?
All I know is that the commit to enroll deadline was pushed to mid-June for UCSD. So, waitlist movement should hopefully happen after that? But there is no guarantee on whether or not that would happen. Likewise, there is also no guarantee on how much movement either.

Has anyone else on the waitlist received a housing offer? I received one this morning and I’ve tried to contact them regarding my application status but have had no luck getting a response.

Last edited:
All I know is that the commit to enroll deadline was pushed to mid-June for UCSD. So, waitlist movement should hopefully happen after that? But there is no guarantee on whether or not that would happen. Likewise, there is also no guarantee on how
Has anyone else on the waitlist received a housing offer? I received one this morning and I’ve tried to contact them regarding my application status but have had no luck getting a response.
How’d you apply for housing without being admitted? Haha

Members don't see this ad :)
How’d you apply for housing without being admitted? Haha
Just on the HDH website! I didn’t have any UCSD SOM student credentials so they said to just use my phone number. The student ambassador during my interview advised us to do it as early as possible.

Other waitlisted applicants on here also experienced a similar situation in which housing emailed them regarding existing student credentials despite their waitlist status.

Last edited:
Do you mind sharing when you joined the waitlist and what offer was given? I’m getting sorta nervous cuz my move in date was July 15- and I thought we were pretty much ensured some type of student housing if we selected the new buildings...

Do you mind sharing when you joined the waitlist and what offer was given? I’m getting sorta nervous cuz my move in date was July 15- and I thought we were pretty much ensured some type of student housing if we selected the new buildings...
Yeah I joined the waitlist on April 8th! And they gave me a 2 bed/1bath in Nuevo West!

Same situation. Im not really sure what to do because I’d like to have the housing if I do get accepted off the WL.

I joined the waitlist back on March 24th, and they still haven't offered me any floor plans.
My understanding is that they make offers based first on your need-housing-by date and then by your housing app date. I joined March 29th but I put down that I need housing by June 1st. Received an offer at the end of April.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I'm trying to send you a message but it says I'm not able to? I'd love some advice on the process.

Sadly withdrew from the waitlist. Good luck to those waiting, hope you all hear good news soon!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
has anyone heard anything from admissions lately? or are they still not responding?

has anyone heard anything from admissions lately? or are they still not responding?
I was able to get a response from them when I needed them to help me with an issue regarding one of my updates for my application. However, I have not heard anything back since then, even after asking for an update from them about the waitlist movement.

Sadly withdrew from the waitlist. Good luck to those waiting, hope you all hear good news soon!
Sorry to hear about that. But congratulations on your other acceptances, future doc! UWSOM (I'm assuming either University of Wisconsin or University of Washington) is fortunate to have you!

• Love

Does anybody feel this way? It's only been a little more than a year of waiting. Still hoping for the best. Good luck everyone.

Does anybody feel this way? It's only been a little more than a year of waiting. Still hoping for the best. Good luck everyone.

The waiting is definitely tough. I hear you. I couldn’t help but notice that you’ve been applying since 2017 though, my friend. Mad props for staying vigilant. Is this your fourth cycle?

The waiting is definitely tough. I hear you. I couldn’t help but notice that you’ve been applying since 2017 though, my friend. Mad props for staying vigilant. Is this your fourth cycle?
I hope you enjoyed the commercial, thought it was cute. Definitely appreciate the props, I have been applying since 2017 and was accepted that year into a very good school. I had some issues with a family member who was very sick and I could not leave San Diego, as I was a primary care giver for him. Since that time I have applied two cycles in hopes of getting into my dream school. This year I have been accepted to another school on the East Coast and will be going there if a miracle does not save me. I am not a traditional student which makes a move like this very hard. My spouse and I have a child along with a 91 year old family member, we will be heading out the first week of July. I wish that this school would take into consideration what is not written into an application, it would be nice for them to also show compassion which they want us to display. Good luck to you in this cycle, I hope you get accepted to your first choice. Take care :)

Hey, I'm trying to send you a message but it says I'm not able to? I'd love some advice on the process.
I went ahead and started a conversation w ya, I think that’s the same as message right lol?

Is this it y’all? Can we anticipate movement next week?

Is this it y’all? Can we anticipate movement next week?
Honestly, I don't know anymore. I'm losing a bit of hope as the days progress. At this point, I'm honestly going to wait until the commit to enroll deadline arrives for my other school before I remove myself from the waitlist.

Who else thinks that person that posted about getting off the WL was just trolling?? They ghosted us lmao

Reactions: 6 users
Who else thinks that person that posted about getting off the WL was just trolling?? They ghosted us lmao
LOL maybe they are way too happy to be on SDN? Or too busy trying to figure everything out to be ready to start med school? Idk I wish admissions would give us an update.

LOL maybe they are way too happy to be on SDN? Or too busy trying to figure everything out to be ready to start med school? Idk I wish admissions would give us an update.
Agreed. I wish admissions wasn't so silent about everything.

Admissions has not responded to a single of the emails I’ve sent about the waitlist. Very odd

when is it safe to give up lol
I think this is dependent on the applicant that’s waiting. If the applicant has another school already, they have to give up whenever the commit to enroll deadline is for their school. If the applicant does not have a school…..who knows…..

Hi all. Just spoke with a representative at the virtual fair, and they said that there could be waitlist movement although they are "not at that point yet." Idk what that means, but at least it is something.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users
Hi all. Just spoke with a representative at the virtual fair, and they said that there could be waitlist movement although they are "not at that point yet." Idk what that means, but at least it is something.
Sounds like the class is full if they aren’t at the point of waitlist movement

oh ok, this is basically a competition to see how long I can be blue balled for

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I have to say the way they’ve handled/responded to applicants this cycle is rather disappointing and rather disrespectful, to not even send out a generic email regarding the status of waitlist movement so people could plan their cycle accordingly? This was my dream school but I really do feel for those still hoping to get off the waitlist. Not sure what was up with the committee this cycle, but for shame.

Reactions: 7 users
I have to say the way they’ve handled/responded to applicants this cycle is rather disappointing and rather disrespectful, to not even send out a generic email regarding the status of waitlist movement so people could plan their cycle accordingly? This was my dream school but I really do feel for those still hoping to get off the waitlist. Not sure what was up with the committee this cycle, but for shame.

This. A thousand times this. So disappointing and a huge turn off for this school.

Reactions: 4 users