2020-2021 UC San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got some nice merit aid this past week! Before the PTE deadline, I was trying to get UCSD to match a scholarship I had from another school, and they kept putting me off. I PTE'd at UCSD anyway. So glad I did. They really do redistribute the funds when people decline offers!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Starting to feel pretty hopeless now. Why would they be waiting so long to send out their first wave? Starting to feel like if any A’s were sent out that must’ve happened by now and maybe just hasn’t been reported here. Seems like if we are gonna hear anything this year it’ll just be a few trickling A’s who-knows-when.

Hows everyone else feeling?

• Inappropriate
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I am still hopeful, no change in the # of fb group members. keep the faith!

Reactions: 1 users
Starting to feel pretty hopeless now. Why would they be waiting so long to send out their first wave? Starting to feel like if any A’s were sent out that must’ve happened by now and maybe just hasn’t been reported here. Seems like if we are gonna hear anything this year it’ll just be a few trickling A’s who-knows-when.

Hows everyone else feeling?
I still feel confident that there will be a wave of WL movement this week. With so many people that have withdrawn, I highly doubt that numerous As have been given out without any report on SDN.

Has anyone been brave enough to contact admissions to ask about waitlist movement? 😅

Has anyone been brave enough to contact admissions to ask about waitlist movement? 😅
If I had any faith they'd respond I would- I am convinced they purposely filter my emails out LOL
Funny enough, I emailed them at the end of last week to no reply. I suppose the real question is if anyone is willing to call Brian Zeglen.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I sent them an email, will let you know if/when they respond.

Reactions: 14 users
maybe since they usually release on a Thursday, it will be tomorrow (just delayed a week)

Reactions: 3 users
Hey! I emailed yesterday, got a response this morning! Sounds like there isn't a wave coming, instead they are accepting people if/when their class has room, but it is full right now. I was told we still each have about a 5% chance of acceptance based purely on the numbers. Was also told that we should know if accepted off the waitlist roughly by June 15. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 9 users
Hey! I emailed yesterday, got a response this morning! Sounds like there isn't a wave coming, instead they are accepting people if/when their class has room, but it is full right now. I was told we still each have about a 5% chance of acceptance based purely on the numbers. Was also told that we should know if accepted off the waitlist roughly by June 15. Good luck to you all!
Thanks for keeping up in the loop! But that is also incredibly depressing to hear at the same time. Also, any of y'all with your emails still left on read? I hope they're not purposely ignoring me.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m surprised the class is full already. Does he anticipate there will be WL movement if we have a 5% chance?

5% chance as in...? Does that mean like 15/300 ppl on the waitlist or what lol

5% chance as in...? Does that mean like 15/300 ppl on the waitlist or what lol
If that's true, might as well call it a rejection list at that rate. This cycle is still a mystery to me

With those odds, I guess I’ll just hope for the best but expect the worst. Guess I’m going to bed incredibly sad tonight. At least I can start working on finding housing for my other acceptance.

• Care
With those odds, I guess I’ll just hope for the best but expect the worst. Guess I’m going to bed incredibly sad tonight. At least I can start working on finding housing for my other acceptance.
My thoughts exactly. Hang in there everyone, it’s been a rough cycle.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
M8, no reason to go to bed sad. You have an acceptance.

Found the perfect place in the city of my other A. Signed the lease and Withdrew from the UCSD waitlist. For those curious I never got a response acknowledging withdrawing from the WL!
Good luck everyone :) anywhere you end up will be amazing and you’re all going to be rockin docs.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
M8, no reason to go to bed sad. You have an acceptance.
While I'm grateful for the several acceptances, it's more of being sad about the high probability of not getting into a dream school. It's that feeling of "you worked so hard for something and your goal was almost within your grasp". That's the feeling honestly, ya feel?

• Care
  • Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
My friend on the waitlist also got a similar response on May 11th when they sent an email regarding waitlist movement...

While I'm grateful for the several acceptances, it's more of being sad about the high probability of not getting into a dream school. It's that feeling of "you worked so hard for something and your goal was almost within your grasp". That's the feeling honestly, ya feel?
Very relatable :( And so wild to see how COVID transformed the whole application process this year

Has anyone else had no luck getting a response from the admissions office through email? I'm surprised others are even getting replies. Or maybe it is just me lol

It's not just you, they never respond to me either lol
glad im not alone haha, but also makes me skeptical of people saying they are hearing back by email. Unless they are picking and choosing which waitlist question emails they want to respond to, which might be the case

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer or rude, but please be happy you at least have an acceptance. This is my second cycle, and my second time being waitlisted by only UCSD and rejected everywhere else. A lot of people would love to be in your position right now.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 21 users
UCSD has extended its commit-to-enroll deadline to June 15, per an email from admissions sent this morning. The email implies they are doing so because many people are still on waitlists at other schools. Maybe they got lots of requests for an extension?

Anyway, this might give a bit of hope to those on the waitlist for UCSD, while at the same time prolonging the agony...

UCSD has extended its commit-to-enroll deadline to June 15, per an email from admissions sent this morning. The email implies they are doing so because many people are still on waitlists at other schools. Maybe they got lots of requests for an extension?
Anyone else had a different CTE deadline between June 1st and June 15th? :( thinking that means even less movement before my CTE now....

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer or rude, but please be happy you at least have an acceptance. This is my second cycle, and my second time being waitlisted by only UCSD and rejected everywhere else. A lot of people would love to be in your position right now.
Shiiiit I’ll be the Debby downer then. Lmao,right. I’m WL at all my choices too. some people think the world owes them exactly everything they want yet don’t realize how privileged they are to be in their shoes. Some don’t realize they have everything until they lose it and life is gonna make them realize that sooner or later. If it’s that bad they can reapply for UCSD next cycle. No one has complete control of their future. Keeping working hard and trucking along mate.

Reactions: 5 users
Shiiiit I’ll be the Debby downer then. Lmao,right. I’m WL at all my choices too. some people think the world owes them exactly everything they want yet don’t realize how privileged they are to be in their shoes. Some don’t realize they have everything until they lose it and life is gonna make them realize that sooner or later. If it’s that bad they can reapply for UCSD next cycle. No one has complete control of their future. Keeping working hard and trucking along mate.
Love this energy. Exactly right. Folks forget how much a privilege it is to be accepted to ANY US MD program...and no one has a right to anything. This process eats us up, spits us out and in so many ways, is idiosyncratic as hell. Hoping the best for the folks in purgatory : /

Love this energy. Exactly right. Folks forget how much a privilege it is to be accepted to ANY US MD program...and no one has a right to anything. This process eats us up, spits us out and in so many ways, is idiosyncratic as hell. Hoping the best for the folks in purgatory : /
I think perspective is important. It's absolutely true that getting an acceptance anywhere beats the hell out of not having somewhere to matriculate. As a re-applicant, I know this feeling far too well. In this respect, those who do have even a single acceptance are privileged.

But at the same time, let's not gatekeep feeling disappointed. We've all been put through the excruciating stress and struggle of the application cycle, each of us developing our own expectations along the way. The aforementioned person posted, most likely, seeking support and it doesn't seem very empathetic to just invalidate their feelings by comparing it to one's own. Just my two cents.

Reactions: 14 users
I think perspective is important. It's absolutely true that getting an acceptance anywhere beats the hell out of not having somewhere to matriculate. As a re-applicant, I know this feeling far too well. In this respect, those who do have even a single acceptance are privileged.

But at the same time, let's not gatekeep feeling disappointed. We've all been put through the excruciating stress and struggle of the application cycle, each of us developing our own expectations along the way. The aforementioned person posted, most likely, seeking support and it doesn't seem very empathetic to just invalidate their feelings by comparing it to one's own. Just my two cents
All valid points. I will say it’s harder to feel empathy when someone’s sword in their side in reality is really a splinter. However, everyone is allowed to feel how they feel.

• Care
Is it safe to assume any initial WL offers have already been made and that they were just not reported on SDN due to low volume/chance?

I love being on the WL. Gives me the thrill I need in life rn.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Is it safe to assume any initial WL offers have already been made and that they were just not reported on SDN due to low volume/chance?
This is a great question. I am not sure. I would love to know too.

3obi6o.png

Me waiting for admissions to be transparent about the waitlist or answer an email or do anything at all

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Anyone else not hear anything back from student housing?

also for any students who didn’t matriculate anywhere- if you’d like shoot me a pm and maybe I can’t provide you some good tips. I’ve applied twice and got in twice(had to withdraw) so I think I sorta figured out some tips n tricks along the way!