2020-2021 UT San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think I need to justify why it's difficult for me to do the interview. Thanks for your concern.
Good answer. That was pretty messed up. Take care of you and don't worry about that element to this. Sending healing energy your way!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
To those who interviewed here, did you send thank you notes to your interviewers? The school's website says to email them to one specific email or send them by mail to an address. Just curious how others have done it. Thanks in advance!
I sent my thank you notes to the Long email and they were distributed to the appropriate people. I even received an email telling me my letter had been forwarded and a response from one of my interviewers.

Reactions: 1 users
I sent my thank you notes to the Long email and they were distributed to the appropriate people. I even received an email telling me my letter had been forwarded and a response from one of my interviewers.
Okay, that's super helpful! Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten an interview from Long this week? Last report I saw was last Friday...

What is longs policy on letters of intent? Really hoping to match here.

Also, any idea how many prematches they send out? I haven't really seen any thus far.

Also, any idea how many prematches they send out? I haven't really seen any thus far.
Long has stated the last 2 years that they intend almost all of their offers to be made on Match Day.
I count only 12 Long pre-match offers posted by SDN members and 9 of those went to people with multiple pre-matches.

My advice is always to rank the schools for Match in your true order of preference, which will hold more weight than letters to the admissions offices.
If you rank Long #1, that is your official statement of intent.

Adding to the comment from @wysdoc , I wrote a letter of intent after being wait listed here on match day last year. In my own case it was definitely worth writing a LoI after match day, but I wouldn't do so any earlier.

Adding to the comment from @wysdoc , I wrote a letter of intent after being wait listed here on match day last year. In my own case it was definitely worth writing a LoI after match day, but I wouldn't do so any earlier.
I agree with @unwrittenrx : The time to write a letter of intent in the TMDSAS universe is if when you want to try for an acceptance from a WL after Match Day.

WL action does not happen immediately after Match Day, so you have some time to compose a thoughtful letter.

I agree with @unwrittenrx : The time to write a letter of intent in the TMDSAS universe is if when you want to try for an acceptance from a WL after Match Day.

WL action does not happen immediately after Match Day, so you have some time to compose a thoughtful letter.
Does writing an LOI before match day increase changes of not being rejected but at least waitlisted instead (I am an OOS applicant)

Does writing an LOI before match day increase changes of not being rejected but at least waitlisted instead (I am an OOS applicant)
No, everyone who does not withdraw or match is automatically waitlisted until the end of the application cycle!

II received this morning! Scheduled for Jan. 29th

Reactions: 5 users
II this morning as well. Only available date 1/29. I will likely be withdrawing my application. Hope the invite goes to one of you!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To those that are still waiting, I got in contact with Long's admissions and I was told that 2/5 was their final interview date and the 2/12 and 2/19 dates were canceled, which is contrary to what was originally reported on this forum and Long's website. Hope this helps clear any confusion.

I'm just curious, but did anyone here schedule an interview for 2/5? Last report I saw on here was 1/29, which was apparently the only date available in last week's interview wave...

To those that are still waiting, I got in contact with Long's admissions and I was told that 2/5 was their final interview date and the 2/12 and 2/19 dates were canceled, which is contrary to what was originally reported on this forum and Long's website. Hope this helps clear any confusion.

I'm just curious, but did anyone here schedule an interview for 2/5? Last report I saw on here was 1/29, which was apparently the only date available in last week's interview wave...
😢😢

• Care
Was there any new/important information from the Q&A today? Wanted to attend but had to work

Was there any new/important information from the Q&A today? Wanted to attend but had to work
Yes, mainly that Dr. K reads this thread (Hi Dr. K!). She also emphasized that they will happily take update letters pre-match, and that the advice on this thread that you should wait to send it post-match is a little off base. She also reiterated that Long is not pre-match heavy. Beyond that, there was some more talk on the curriculum structure, grading structure, and OOS applicant timeline.

Yes, mainly that Dr. K reads this thread (Hi Dr. K!). She also emphasized that they will happily take update letters pre-match, and that the advice on this thread that you should wait to send it post-match is a little off base. She also reiterated that Long is not pre-match heavy. Beyond that, there was some more talk on the curriculum structure, grading structure, and OOS applicant timeline.
Thank you for the info! I had a few important updates but had been planning to hold off on sending a letter until I potentially don't match. I'll go ahead and send one!

Hey! Can you mention what was said about the OOS applicant timeline? I wasn’t able to join unfortunately.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey! Can you mention what was said about the OOS applicant timeline? I wasn’t able to join unfortunately.
Someone asked if OOS applicants should expect to hear back around the match even though they aren’t part of it (since Long isn’t pre-match heavy). To the best of my understanding, the answer was yes, a majority of OOS acceptance offers will be during the week of the match. Would love someone else who was there at the Q&A to second this

Reactions: 2 users
pre-II R fellas....very "sobering news" indeed lmfaoo

In case anyone's wondering, the rejection letter seemed copied and pasted from the one I got two cycles ago lol

• Care
What is the dress code for the Q and A sessions? I am currently on campus and my blazer is at home :(

What is the dress code for the Q and A sessions? I am currently on campus and my blazer is at home :(
Whatever you're wearing at the time of the Q&A. A lot of people join on lunch breaks at work, so some people even have their cameras off. If you wore a blazer or tie I think you might be the only one in the Q&A session!

I thought it was cancelled due to the unpredictability of power this week.

Wasn’t it only the Monday session that was cancelled? They haven’t officially cancelled tonight’s session, but it’s looking like a possibility :(

Wasn’t it only the Monday session that was cancelled? They haven’t officially cancelled tonight’s session, but it’s looking like a possibility
I think only Monday has been cancelled so far! I think today is still on (as far as I know)

Did the Q&A session happen today? Was dealing with storm related issues and didn't have the chance to log on.

Any new info that you hadn't previously heard?
Not that I can think of, I showed up halfway through because I didn't get power til then so I may have missed the new stuff. It was mostly answering questions from students about housing, scholarships, the ususal. They did talk quite a bit about how to get into research, but Dr. K made it a point that it would be covered in detail after matriculation as well. I found it moving that she was willing to hold the event despite the weather. I ended up changing my ranklist and bumping Long up to second based on how they and other Texas schools handled the storm.

Not that I can think of, I showed up halfway through because I didn't get power til then so I may have missed the new stuff. It was mostly answering questions from students about housing, scholarships, the ususal. They did talk quite a bit about how to get into research, but Dr. K made it a point that it would be covered in detail after matriculation as well. I found it moving that she was willing to hold the event despite the weather. I ended up changing my ranklist and bumping Long up to second based on how they and other Texas schools handled the storm.
Thanks! I agree, I have appreciated their transparency and communication throughout this cycle - they are also second on my list!

• Care
Someone asked if OOS applicants should expect to hear back around the match even though they aren’t part of it (since Long isn’t pre-match heavy). To the best of my understanding, the answer was yes, a majority of OOS acceptance offers will be during the week of the match. Would love someone else who was there at the Q&A to second this
sorry i'm a bit later replying to this. if anyone else has more information, feel free to jump in! but when you say the week of match, did she mean leading up to match since its a Friday? or most offers will be the next few weeks after that? sincerely, a very anxious and hopeful OOS applicant lol

sorry i'm a bit later replying to this. if anyone else has more information, feel free to jump in! but when you say the week of match, did she mean leading up to match since its a Friday? or most offers will be the next few weeks after that? sincerely, a very anxious and hopeful OOS applicant lol
Not sure, that wasn't specified

Does anyone know what the timelines is for OOS? I haven't been given much guidance and have no idea what happens next

OOS, interviewed late October. So nervous to hear from Long. They’re my top choice! Hope we don’t have to wait until Friday.

I think we have to wait until after Friday. In the giant email they send out every week it says OOS offers will go out within a week or so after match day.

I think we have to wait until after Friday. In the giant email they send out every week it says OOS offers will go out within a week or so after match day.
Oh bummer! I just had read up in the thread that someone said in the last Q and A she said first week of March for OOS but you’re right maybe it’s just next week

Oh bummer! I just had read up in the thread that someone said in the last Q and A she said first week of March for OOS but you’re right maybe it’s just next week
I just looked at the email and this is what they said:

" For our Out of State applicants, the details are a little different, but the timeline is about the same. There will be some Pre-Match Offers in the period preceding the Match, and at the time of the Match in early March, we will also send some out of state offers at that time. The period following the Match will also have some Out Of State Students getting offers from the Wait Pool. Remember – you get IN-STATE TUITION!!"

It's kind of vague, but I think us OOS will hear this week and the waitlist will be after the match?

I just looked at the email and this is what they said:

" For our Out of State applicants, the details are a little different, but the timeline is about the same. There will be some Pre-Match Offers in the period preceding the Match, and at the time of the Match in early March, we will also send some out of state offers at that time. The period following the Match will also have some Out Of State Students getting offers from the Wait Pool. Remember – you get IN-STATE TUITION!!"

It's kind of vague, but I think us OOS will hear this week and the waitlist will be after the match?
That email ^ is from a while ago and most recently in the Q&A she made it seem like we would hear when the match people hear... but yeah it’s all up in the air so who knows!!! I sure do hope it’s this week!

That email ^ is from a while ago and most recently in the Q&A she made it seem like we would hear when the match people hear... but yeah it’s all up in the air so who knows!!! I sure do hope it’s this week!
That's also basically what I gathered, but I took it as most OOS will hear on the day of the match as well or the following week. I imagine match day is busy on the school's end, so I wouldn't be surprised if OOS didn't mostly hear until the week after. That's purely speculation though so I'd take it with a grain of salt

Hello to my Long brothers and sisters. May we have a great 4 years together.

Reactions: 6 users
congratulations to everyone who matches here today! If any OOS hear today, please post :)