2020-2021 UT San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I ranked long was #2 right after McGovern, however I would still really like to go here! should I send a LOI, or will the school see I ranked them #2 and it would look fake that I am sending a LOI
If you write a letter, don't tell them they're your top choice, but you don't have a thing to lose by writing a letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I ranked long was #2 right after McGovern, however I would still really like to go here! should I send a LOI, or will the school see I ranked them #2 and it would look fake that I am sending a LOI
Did you match to McGovern as your #1 choice?
If so, you are done.

If you matched to a school you ranked below Long and McGovern, you are free to send a letter to either.

Did you match to McGovern as your #1 choice?
If so, you are done.

If you matched to a school you ranked below Long and McGovern, you are free to send a letter to either.
Would you recommend sending letters now even if we haven’t been told if we’re on the waitlist yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
School will never see how you ranked them.

Congrats all who matched! Y'all are gonna LOVE it here!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Long is killing me with this wait for OOS!! its my top choice and I am dying to know

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
When the name of the school matches the length of the wait :O

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Has there been an official waitlist email that was sent out by Long? I’m one of the people who was destroyed by match day after interviewing several places and not matching, and I want to send a LOI to Long since it’s my top choice now but won’t if I didn’t even make the waitlist. I got a few waitlist emails from other places but nothing from Long, so I was wondering if that already went out.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Has there been an official waitlist email that was sent out by Long? I’m one of the people who was destroyed by match day after interviewing several places and not matching, and I want to send a LOI to Long since it’s my top choice now but won’t if I didn’t even make the waitlist. I got a few waitlist emails from other places but nothing from Long, so I was wondering if that already went out.
I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered hearing in an email or Q&A session that since everyone is on the waitlist who isn't accepted, no acceptance = waitlist, email or not. Seems like that was more directed at IS applicants and match day. I think OOS people can follow the same logic once anyone starts to hear about acceptances.

Reactions: 2 users
I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered hearing in an email or Q&A session that since everyone is on the waitlist who isn't accepted, no acceptance = waitlist, email or not. Seems like that was more directed at IS applicants and match day. I think OOS people can follow the same logic once anyone starts to hear about acceptances.
On Long's 'Interview Process' on their website, they say that, so you are right!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 1.12.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 1.12.23 PM.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 142
To all my fellow OOS homies, looking at last year's thread, it looks like OOS acceptances went out on one day (all at once instead of spread throughout the week(s)). It was 10 days after the match that they heard, but with the COVID cycle and later match, I'm not sure how translatable that time would be to this year. Regardless, it seems like they send their wave of OOS acceptances all at once, so whenever someone hears and posts about an acceptance on this thread, I think it's safe to assume you're waitlisted if you don't hear back that day as well.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone happen to have a better understanding as to why OOS students don’t hear back as quickly as Texas residents? What would require more time for OOS students?

Last edited:
Anyone happen to have a better understanding as to why OOS students don’t hear back as quickly as Texas residents? What would the disconnect be between the two that would require more time?

If I had to guess, the difference in priorities. The quota is 90% Texans, not 10% OOS. Perhaps they are checking back one last time and making sure they have all who they want, then extending OOS offers to the "outstanding applicants" in that pool.

Reactions: 2 users
If I had to guess, the difference in priorities. The quota is 90% Texans, not 10% OOS. Perhaps they are checking back one last time and making sure they have all who they want, then extending OOS offers to the "outstanding applicants" in that pool.
That would make sense. Thanks!

my cycle buddy said they usually offer the maximum amount of OOS spots, so let's hope that's true this year too!! wishing the best of luck to all my fellow OOSers :)

I got in as well! So incredibly excited; this was my top choice!!!! :)

• Love
Congrats to you both! Did you guys send any LOI's or any updates or anything?
I sent an update before Christmas and then just updated my grades on TMDSAS after my fall semester! Also emailed back and forth with the school for a question or two!

Dr. Kellaways email today make it sound like everyone who hasn’t heard back is waitlisted?? Does this apply to out of state? I haven’t heard anything since i interviewed in September

Reactions: 1 users
Dr. Kellaways email today make it sound like everyone who hasn’t heard back is waitlisted?? Does this apply to out of state? I haven’t heard anything since i interviewed in September
Yes this applies to OOS I believe

if anyone ends up finding Long's 2021 match list, please post if you can! Very interested to see it. thanks :)

Any current students have advice on nice apartments/ where to live? My parents are insistent that I live in the La Cantera area but I don't know that I want to live that far away my first year

Any current students have advice on nice apartments/ where to live? My parents are insistent that I live in the La Cantera area but I don't know that I want to live that far away my first year

Yeah, I wouldn't live that far away either. It's like 15 minutes max for me and that's really pushing it.

If you want "nice" and close, lots of students live at the Pinnacle, Hawthorne House, Villas at Medical Center, The Addision, The District, etc. All within 5 minutes of school. Most students will live in the medical center. It's pretty safe there, no need to live farther away unless you want to.

Gonna be withdrawing my A, I hope someone off the WL gets the spot and gets to enjoy Long!!

Reactions: 7 users
Definitely, 100% do NOT do that. Hawthorne House is a popular option and is very close to school but is pricier.

Does anyone have an idea of when waitlist movement usually begins? OOS if that matters at all.