2020-2021 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been on 'your application review is complete' for almost a month now. I dont know what to make of it lol. Anyone else?
That's nothing, I've been there for more than two months now ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think they are behind on decisions on applicants they’ve deemed to fit their mission. I know someone who submitted less than a month ago with a 521 one who they rejected
This makes me feel a bit better, but maybe they rejected bc the stats were too high and they wanna protect their yield?

Members don't see this ad :)
This makes me feel a bit better, but maybe they rejected bc the stats were too high and they wanna protect their yield?
Vcu has a very specific mission. A lot of high stat applicants probably don’t take the time sometimes to make sure they understand the mission— which comes through in holistic review. I would imagine it’s more that than “yield protection”

Vcu has a very specific mission. A lot of high stat applicants probably don’t take the time sometimes to make sure they understand the mission— which comes through in holistic review. I would imagine it’s more that than “yield protection”
it looks pretty similar to other schools? what makes you say that it is super specific?

Reactions: 3 users
it looks pretty similar to other schools? what makes you say that it is super specific?
Their mission is pretty significantly about caring for the underserved and volunteering. Definitely a service oriented school. On interview day they really play it up -- Mission FIt. Same with EVMS. They have a few MMI questions each year that are very heavily focused on service. And they're big on holistic review. I mean honestly, if they weren't service oriented I wouldn't have gotten 2 interviews there.

Their mission is pretty significantly about caring for the underserved and volunteering. Definitely a service oriented school. On interview day they really play it up -- Mission FIt. Same with EVMS. They have a few MMI questions each year that are very heavily focused on service. And they're big on holistic review. I mean honestly, if they weren't service oriented I wouldn't have gotten 2 interviews there.
dont think EVMS cares that much bout service. but Im glad to hear VCU does, a little more hopeful

dont think EVMS cares that much bout service. but Im glad to hear VCU does, a little more hopeful
EVMS claims they are very community-oriented and strive to be the school thats most active in their community in the entire country. They definitely care a lot about service

Reactions: 2 users
EVMS claims they are very community-oriented and strive to be the school thats most active in their community in the entire country. They definitely care a lot about service
Yeah I mean they were literally founded by the community for the community in Hampton roads if you read about this history

a couple of my friends got an R from there and they had super service heavy apps and mcat within their range. I had just assumed this school wasnt service oriented

a couple of my friends got an R from there and they had super service heavy apps and mcat within their range. I had just assumed this school wasnt service oriented
There is soooooooo much more that goes into a file evaluation than 1 mcat score and having service. Think about all those secondary essays, letter of recommendation, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the secondary prompts, what do they mean by "lapses in undergraduate education?" Do they mean time off during college or challenges?

For the secondary prompts, what do they mean by "lapses in undergraduate education?" Do they mean time off during college or challenges?

If you took a year off in the middle of your undergraduate education or something like that, that would be a lapse in undergraduate education.

Had my interview today. Thought I did well in 5/7 of the questions that were given (was told my interviewers that I did a great job on them, if that means anything). Did meh on the other two in my opinion. Hopefully, I get that A, but we shall see.

Last edited:
Had my interview today. Thought I did well in 5/7 of the questions that were given (was told my interviewers that I did a great job on them, if that means anything). Did meh on the other two in my opinion. Hopefully, I get that A, but we shall see.
(It doesn't mean anything) But thanks for letting us know!

I received an email offering me an interview two days later. Unfortunately, I had a family emergency to attend to and told them I was unable to interview on that date, but can reschedule for the following week. I received no response to that email and my portal does not have an interview status change. Bizarre.

(It doesn't mean anything) But thanks for letting us know!
Savage. hahaha

But yeah the interview process is complex and a lot of factors are weighed, so I tend to agree with Talldoctor. I felt like I did okay on 5/7, meh on one, and very poorly on one and it turned out okay for me. However, it is impossible to accurately gauge your performance. Give it all you got and hope for the best results.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I received an email offering me an interview two days later. Unfortunately, I had a family emergency to attend to and told them I was unable to interview on that date, but can reschedule for the following week. I received no response to that email and my portal does not have an interview status change. Bizarre.
Give them a call!!

pre-II R - complete 9/4, LM 68, OOS, never moved off member of a committee i am losing it

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Unfortunately, there's no great school-specific FAQ resource across SDN, Reddit, etc so the same questions are asked year in and year out, oftentimes even within the same application year thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got "put on hold for possible acceptance at a later date"... should I be jazzed about this?

Did anyone notice that they did not have access to their secondary after submission? The portal doesn't seem to show a tab for it anymore

Did anyone notice that they did not have access to their secondary after submission? The portal doesn't seem to show a tab for it anymore

Same here. I think that's common for us all after secondary submission

Did you receive a confirmation afterward that your app was submitted? I submitted today so I'm wondering if I will get an email this week

I don't think I got an email confirmation. I had to wait a little while for my secondary portal to update its status as submitted.

Guys... I submitted my app two days ago and they sent me a rejection today... despite doing well in a grad program and having 6,000+ hrs of clinical experience

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Guys... I submitted my app two days ago and they sent me a rejection today... despite doing well in a grad program and having 6,000+ hrs of clinical experience
Sorry! Unfortunately it’s very very late to be submitting a secondary. And you must not have passed very early initial screen.best of luck!!

Sorry! Unfortunately it’s very very late to be submitting a secondary. And you must not have passed very early initial screen.best of luck!!
Ah it's okay, thank you! So I submitted my primary app in June, didn't get verified til August, then they sent an email saying I'll be considered for a secondary once they have an MCAT score. I took the MCAT on September 27th and I didn't get my score until October 13th so they sent me the secondary sometime after that :/ my MCAT had to be rescheduled due to COVID

im glad vcu is pretty transparent though with their decisions

Any guesses as to when the next round of interview invites will be sent?

Any guesses as to when the next round of interview invites will be sent?
I could be wrong, but at this point I don't think there are "rounds" of interviews being sent. I'd imagine when someone drops their interview date, the next person in line gets the spot.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else no longer have the withdrawal application button? Assuming I have been rejected /: