2020-2021 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else no longer have the withdrawal application button? Assuming I have been rejected /:
Sorry. :/ That is what that means.

Members don't see this ad.

That is indeed what it means you will receive an email in approximately 11 minutes at 605 eastern time. That’s when the portal updates

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like they've filled out all the interview slots for the cycle.
I don't know how accurate this assessment is. Seems like you should be doubly sure of saying something like this before commenting it.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know how accurate this assessment is. Seems like you should be doubly sure of saying something like this before commenting it.

I do know someone was signing up in February, but that doesn’t mean people won’t withdraw.

I'm not certain, but I imagine that they have filled up all the interview slots. However, people withdraw, so more will open up. With that being said, I would not expect any "II waves" to come.

Reactions: 1 user
On hold for possible A/WL. Let's see what goes down Dec. 16.

Reactions: 3 users
How quick is their turnaround, does anyone know? If I'm interviewing 12/8, is it likely I'll receive my decision 12/16, or will I most likely have to wait until February?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has been answered, but the wording of the interview instructions is confusing to me: "The first question is a traditional interview question and will be asked by all the interviewers. You will have 2 minutes to read the question and prepare your thoughts and 14 minutes for interaction with an interviewer. Questions two through seven... You will have 2 minutes to read the question and 7 minutes for interaction with an interviewer."

This sounds like we will be asked two questions at every station, once traditional interview question and one MMI scenario, for those who have interviewed, is that how it works? or it is just one traditional interview station and then the MMI stations?

I'm not certain, but I imagine that they have filled up all the interview slots. However, people withdraw, so more will open up. With that being said, I would not expect any "II waves" to come.
We had this conversation in OCTOBER and people told me I was wrong. But Essentially they have been seemingly fully booked for almost 2 months now (no big waves since then). This make me believe what you are saying IS true and has been true, that like in the past they try and fill up their spots through FEB by like October. And then as people drop they send out more II to fill those spots. Since its a state school, this happens frequently.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this has been answered, but the wording of the interview instructions is confusing to me: "The first question is a traditional interview question and will be asked by all the interviewers. You will have 2 minutes to read the question and prepare your thoughts and 14 minutes for interaction with an interviewer. Questions two through seven... You will have 2 minutes to read the question and 7 minutes for interaction with an interviewer."

This sounds like we will be asked two questions at every station, once traditional interview question and one MMI scenario, for those who have interviewed, is that how it works? or it is just one traditional interview station and then the MMI stations?
You will be asked one traditional interview question and the rest are MMI. One question per station.

Reactions: 2 users

Lol this tripped me up too!
Its 7 stations and each has only 1 question. The first station is 14 minutes long and its a traditional like question.
The second through seventh stations are each only one question as well but are only 7 minutes long and are MMI questions.
You have two minutes between each station in the main room where they will show you the prompts.

How quick is their turnaround, does anyone know? If I'm interviewing 12/8, is it likely I'll receive my decision 12/16, or will I most likely have to wait until February?
In years past if you interview before the decision date there's a good chance you will hear by 12/16. On your interview day I would ask! My guess is they are going to say "We will try out best to vote on everyone by 12/16" and hopefully they'll get to you! When I found out my decision last year I interviewed on 12/5 and was voted on the day of the decision date. So I did not receive the "hold for A/WL" prior to decision day.

is a work restriction a good enough reason to ask for a different interview day than the one offered? I have called out of work so many times and don't want to land myself in trouble. also, do they only interview on certain days? saw someone post that the day runs from 830-1230pm, is that for everyone or do individual interview times vary?

We had this conversation in OCTOBER and people told me I was wrong. But Essentially they have been seemingly fully booked for almost 2 months now (no big waves since then). This make me believe what you are saying IS true and has been true, that like in the past they try and fill up their spots through FEB by like October. And then as people drop they send out more II to fill those spots. Since its a state school, this happens frequently.
Yep we were right when we said that earlier. We have both been through this process a couple of times I believe (thank goodness no longer!), and VCU is very transparent about their admissions process!

is a work restriction a good enough reason to ask for a different interview day than the one offered? I have called out of work so many times and don't want to land myself in trouble. also, do they only interview on certain days? saw someone post that the day runs from 830-1230pm, is that for everyone or do individual interview times vary?
Man y'all are wild I would have QUIT any job at anytime to interview at a MD school LOL

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Man y'all are wild I would have QUIT any job at anytime to interview at a MD school LOL

while that sounds like an easy choice for you, I can't quit (or lose) the job that made it possible for me to even apply to med school in the first place right now. also can't quit the job that is currently sustaining my livelihood and will continue to do so until I matriculate. sorry that my lack of privilege and desire to not totally risk my ability to meet my needs makes me "wild". :)

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 27 users
while that sounds like an easy choice for you, I can't quit (or lose) the job that made it possible for me to even apply to med school in the first place right now. also can't quit the job that is currently sustaining my livelihood and will continue to do so until I matriculate. sorry that my lack of privilege and desire to not totally risk my ability to meet my needs makes me "wild". :)
Sorry if it came across that way I don't know where the emojis are on here or I would put a BIG HEART

• Care
Guys... I submitted my app two days ago and they sent me a rejection today... despite doing well in a grad program and having 6,000+ hrs of clinical experience
bruhhh what. 6000 clinical hours and VCU said "no" damn sorry. Hope your cycle is going well tho.

hi guys! i interviewed on 8/27 and didn't hear back on 10/16... based on previous years, is there a chance i'd hear something on the other decision dates or am i getting waitlisted?

hi guys! i interviewed on 8/27 and didn't hear back on 10/16... based on previous years, is there a chance i'd hear something on the other decision dates or am i getting waitlisted?
Don't have an answer but I'm in the same boat :confused:

You may end up getting in on subsequent dates, or you may not. You may ultimately get waitlisted, or you may be rejected before the waitlist is formed in March. At this point, it is up in the air. Historically, it seems like the 10/16 date would have been your best chance at acceptance, but many people get accepted on subsequent dates.

You may end up getting in on subsequent dates, or you may not. You may ultimately get waitlisted, or you may be rejected before the waitlist is formed in March. At this point, it is up in the air. Historically, it seems like the 10/16 date would have been your best chance at acceptance, but many people get accepted on subsequent dates.
I figured and I am certainly not holding out hope....10/16 was a sad day and I don't want to relive that let down. Just seems weird that they would be so quick to interview us and then ghost us. I felt like I did very well in every station so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Care
I figured and I am certainly not holding out hope....10/16 was a sad day and I don't want to relive that let down. Just seems weird that they would be so quick to interview us and then ghost us. I felt like I did very well in every station so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
+1 :(

• Care
I interviewed on October 7 and didn't hear anything back, but Im pretty sure other people who interviewed on that date heard back so Im in your same boat. Really hoping to hear at a later date!

while i hope i get in, this is helpful so i don't get my hopes up too high on the other dates... thank you

yeah that was a pretty terrible day. i'm sorry you're going through this too and i hope it works out for both of us!

This describes your chances well. For reference I interviewed before the first release of acceptances, was passed over for all 4 releases, was put on the wait list, and then was accepted after being on it for a few weeks. So while it is hard to not hear back each time just know that there is always hope as long as you aren't rejected!

This describes your chances well. For reference I interviewed before the first release of acceptances, was passed over for all 4 releases, was put on the wait list, and then was accepted after being on it for a few weeks. So while it is hard to not hear back each time just know that there is always hope as long as you aren't rejected!
Thank you for sharing this! I was just about to say, it looks like they have a large waitlist and many people move off of it. It is nice to hear from someone who experienced that. *breath of relief, patience

not to be a debbie downer but I recall Dr. Cook saying chances r actually pretty slim if u dont get the A the first subsequent date on my ii day. However she said they make a big waitlist and like 50% get off WL.

not to be a debbie downer but I recall Dr. Cook saying chances r actually pretty slim if u dont get the A the first subsequent date on my ii day. However she said they make a big waitlist and like 50% get off WL.
that’s honestly really helpful to hear!!! it’s good to know where to keep my expectations. thank you.

I understand completely. First cycle I interviewed before first acceptance date..ghosted completely until March when I found out I was on waitlist...then didn't get off. Second cycle interview in January and accepted in February. Now here I am! It's tough, but all things worked out.

I was complete here in early September and JUST went from committee review to sub-committee review. Any thoughts on this? How long did it take people to hear a decision (II, reject, etc.) after this happened to their application?

I was complete here in early September and JUST went from committee review to sub-committee review. Any thoughts on this? How long did it take people to hear a decision (II, reject, etc.) after this happened to their application?
i've been complete since 8/2 and on subcommittee since 9/27. I'm not too hopeful at this point lmao

This is correct. Your best chance is that first date. A few people get accepted on other dates after being deferred, but the likelihood is higher the first time! But the waitlist in the past few years has been about 250 people and they aim to take about 100 acceptance from that.

Not gonna lie, feeling pretty nervous about Dec. 16th. The anticipation is killing me. Hoping for good news, but we shall see.

Reactions: 7 users
Wishing everyone good luck on that Dec 16th date! If it goes well, maybe I'll see you around! If not, you still have a chance on future dates (albeit less) and potential WL. And, if that doesn't pan out, you may still end up here in future years (look at me lol).

Reactions: 6 users
praying for that interview. file review has been complete for 1 month. would love to stay in richmond & currently work at vcu

• Care
ugh im nervous that interview invites are like done with, I havent seen anybody report one in so long
There's still hope! II today! LM 72.5, IS, complete end of August and file review complete end of October.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I was only offered one date via email for mid-Jan and my portal updated accordingly
Gotcha. Yes, it appears that they are only filling up interview slots at this point when there are withdrawals. This helps confirm.