You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Virginia Commonwealth
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
luluwild
Full Member
Did you get this status update prior to the R?Just got an R about ten minutes ago... my top choice school too....
Best of luck to the rest of you guys!
"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE."
luluwild
Full Member
Did you get this status update prior to the R?Got a big fat rejection today after sending my secondary a day or two ago. Looks like they just really wanted that secondary money lmao. These schools have no shame
"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE."
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
arabsensation
Full Member
YesDid you get this status update prior to the R?
"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE."
I've had this problem but if you back out and try again it usually works. also doesn't work on mobile; needs to be in desktop mode.Anyone else having a 404 error message when they try to open the portal?
Just so everyone knows - I paid last night. My bank processed it. It doesn't show up on my application portal. I emailed & they said not to pay again, and they're working to fix the discrepancy.
smearguardhighlighter
Full Member
This is prob neurotic but do we think it goes
sub-committee review --> move forward/R --> member of the committee review --> ii/R?
edit: Update -- after going through the 2019-2020 threads more, it's the other way around. Member of the committee then sub-committee review
sub-committee review --> move forward/R --> member of the committee review --> ii/R?
edit: Update -- after going through the 2019-2020 threads more, it's the other way around. Member of the committee then sub-committee review
Last edited:
D
deleted1040408
where did you hear that?This is prob neurotic but do we think it goes
sub-committee review --> move forward/R --> member of the committee review --> ii/R?
smearguardhighlighter
Full Member
where did you hear that?
Nowhere, I'm just speculating based on messages people are getting in the portal and might be totally off, and some people from last year's thread say not to read into it but idk why they'd be different messages just to say the same thing, and people's seemed to switch from one to the other.
"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
vs
"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
I think one has to be at a different stage of review than the other, but like I said, the neuroticism is probs just in full swing rn lol
Interesting observation. I actually wasnt aware that there were different messages on people's portals.Nowhere, I'm just speculating based on messages people are getting in the portal and might be totally off, and some people from last year's thread say not to read into it but idk why they'd be different messages just to say the same thing, and people's seemed to switch from one to the other.
"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
vs
"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
I think one has to be at a different stage of review than the other, but like I said, the neuroticism is probs just in full swing rn lol
FWIW, I submitted pretty early in the process (before the 404 error stuff) and I have the first message.
annperkins
Full Member
I didn't know people got different messages either, I also submitted early and mine has always been the second message (a member of the committee)Interesting observation. I actually wasnt aware that there were different messages on people's portals.
FWIW, I submitted pretty early in the process (before the 404 error stuff) and I have the first message.
smearguardhighlighter
Full Member
Interesting observation. I actually wasnt aware that there were different messages on people's portals.
FWIW, I submitted pretty early in the process (before the 404 error stuff) and I have the first message.
I didn't know people got different messages either, I also submitted early and mine has always been the second message (a member of the committee)
I didn't realize til I read through these comments either! I submitted 7/13 and have the sub-committee message now but I don't know what it was before. If you always had member of committee, maybe that comes first as an initial review before the sub-committee decides together
Does VCU send Secondary with out MCAT?
If you have no MCAT scores at all, they hold your application (no secondary) until your scores come in.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so i paid my supplemental fee (twice lol, they ate my $80) but my application still isn't saying 'complete' nor is the supplemental fee tab gone (is it supposed to be gone? because i can pay again if I wanted to lmao), i emailed them and they said theyre working on the double charge but i still feel like they're missing my payment?? help lol
If you have no MCAT scores at all, they hold your application (no secondary) until your scores come in.
My friend got a secondary without an MCAT score in yet.
I paid and mine still wants me to pay it too. Emailed, they told me they hadn't received the payment yet. I'm gonna email again tomorrow if it still doesn't show. Blegh this is stressfulso i paid my supplemental fee (twice lol, they ate my $80) but my application still isn't saying 'complete' nor is the supplemental fee tab gone (is it supposed to be gone? because i can pay again if I wanted to lmao), i emailed them and they said theyre working on the double charge but i still feel like they're missing my payment?? help lol
My friend got a secondary without an MCAT score in yet.
Typically in previous cycles they hold your application (without sending a secondary) until they receive an MCAT score. It's possible that this cycle they are approaching it differently due to the change in timelines, but that is not usually the case.
Typically in previous cycles they hold your application (without sending a secondary) until they receive an MCAT score. It's possible that this cycle they are approaching it differently due to the change in timelines, but that is not usually the case.
Yeah I'm thinking with covid they are approaching things a little differently. Anyway, I'm an incoming M1 here so feel free to ask any questions!
smearguardhighlighter
Full Member
Has anyone received an R later than 1-2 days after submitting?
D
deleted1040408
what other schools were you between? and why did you choose VCU?Yeah I'm thinking with covid they are approaching things a little differently. Anyway, I'm an incoming M1 here so feel free to ask any questions!
go girl 08
Full Member
Submitted my secondary on July 22. Woke up to an email this morning about a status change and was fully expecting an R. Was bracing myself while logging into the portal..... turns out it was just to let me know I was complete 🤣
Sharing in case anyone else gets an almost heart attack from their status change emails!
Sharing in case anyone else gets an almost heart attack from their status change emails!
Just to update.
My status changed from "Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
to
"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
Today
My status changed from "Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
to
"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
Today
veggiepremed
Full Member
Omg same I had a literal heart attack thinking it was an RSubmitted my secondary on July 22. Woke up to an email this morning about a status change and was fully expecting an R. Was bracing myself while logging into the portal..... turns out it was just to let me know I was complete 🤣
Sharing in case anyone else gets an almost heart attack from their status change emails!
FracturedPhalanx
Full Member
Just to update.
My status changed from "Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
to
"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
Today
How long after you submitted your secondary did your status change?
Lol i wonder if they're just trolling us with these status changes.
How long after you submitted your secondary did your status change?
Not sure exactly but only few days
My portal message switched from the "Sub-committee" to The admissions committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. Not sure what any of it means haha
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
annaleise9210
Full Member
Stats??My portal message switched from the "Sub-committee" to The admissions committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. Not sure what any of it means haha
LizzyM: 76, WARS: ~85Stats??
FracturedPhalanx
Full Member
My portal message switched from the "Sub-committee" to The admissions committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. Not sure what any of it means haha
Honestly, after looking through a few previous years threads, no one has ever figured out the difference between the messages...
So probably nothing to it lol. Leave it to us premeds to overthink and worry about everything haha
I have letters in mine and a special character so that's not true! I think their website is just janky...I was until I chose a password that was all numbers. I think since it says pin number it can't contain letters.
veggiepremed
Full Member
So the password can’t be more than 10 characters but when u establish ur pw it won’t tell if you if it is too long, it just stops you at 10 chars. So try just entering the first 10 characters of your password lol. Random but it’s what worked for me!I have letters in mine and a special character so that's not true! I think their website is just janky...
So the password can’t be more than 10 characters but when u establish ur pw it won’t tell if you if it is too long, it just stops you at 10 chars. So try just entering the first 10 characters of your password lol. Random but it’s what worked for me!
Ugh I changed it to one letter and a bunch of numbers and now it's giving me the error page. Honestly it was better when I had to reset every time haha
Hmmm, maybe I don't want to go to this school...
When you're on the error page, delete "/dashboard/login.aspx" from the URL and that should work like a charm! Or so it does for meUgh I changed it to one letter and a bunch of numbers and now it's giving me the error page. Honestly it was better when I had to reset every time haha
When you're on the error page, delete "/dashboard/login.aspx" from the URL and that should work like a charm! Or so it does for me
you, good sir, are a coding mastermind. you should add that to your apps.
thunderstorm1824
Full Member
Y'all, I'm so stupid. I just submitted my supplemental app and was perusing this thread when I saw that the question about lapses in undergraduate education includes gaps between undergrad and applying to med school. I have taken a couple gap years, but I guess I misread this question and thought it didn't apply to me so I left it blank 🙁 Should I email the admissions office to explain? I'm sure that would be a bad look but I have nothing to lose, right?
Would this apply to only one gap year people too? Worried because I submitted too and left it blankY'all, I'm so stupid. I just submitted my supplemental app and was perusing this thread when I saw that the question about lapses in undergraduate education includes gaps between undergrad and applying to med school. I have taken a couple gap years, but I guess I misread this question and thought it didn't apply to me so I left it blank 🙁 Should I email the admissions office to explain? I'm sure that would be a bad look but I have nothing to lose, right?
I submitted my app on 7/20 and paid that night. They still haven't received my fee. I've emailed the office a couple of times and they said they're working on it, but it's been nearly a week. I'm frustrated because I submitted my app already, but it can't go under review until they get the fee!
Has anyone else had this issue?
Has anyone else had this issue?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thunderstorm1824
Full Member
FYI, I emailed Dr. Whitehurst-Cook (Dean of Admissions) and she said I should be fine because my list of activities in AMCAS should cover my gap year activities. So I still won't get to explain my reasoning behind taking gap years like the supplemental app asked for, but it doesn't seem like a huge issue.Would this apply to only one gap year people too? Worried because I submitted too and left it blank
annperkins
Full Member
How do you know whether they received the fee or not?I submitted my app on 7/20 and paid that night. They still haven't received my fee. I've emailed the office a couple of times and they said they're working on it, but it's been nearly a week. I'm frustrated because I submitted my app already, but it can't go under review until they get the fee!
Has anyone else had this issue?
In my portal, it says "Once your supplemental application fee is received and your recommendation letters are processed, your file will be complete." Also, I emailed them to check and they said they haven't received it. It came out of my bank account, thoughHow do you know whether they received the fee or not?
meeeeeededed
Full Member
Hi, for cover-19 essay, is it okay to write about a volunteer activity already mentioned in AMCAS application? asking because on the instructions doc attached in portal, it says that "answer to step 4 should not repeat information already received on your primary application?" Do they just mean, no copy/pasting or we are not suppose talk about the same experience?
R this morning rip, good luck to everyone who hasn't gotten chopped yet lol