2020-2021 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Refer back to previous years' threads to understand the meaning of the applicant portal messages. Things may be different logistically this year with COVID, but I'd suspect that the messages will have the same meaning.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an R about ten minutes ago... my top choice school too....

Best of luck to the rest of you guys!
Did you get this status update prior to the R?
"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE."

Got a big fat rejection today after sending my secondary a day or two ago. Looks like they just really wanted that secondary money lmao. These schools have no shame
"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE."

Members don't see this ad :)
My status is: "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile" IDK what that means lol

Yes

Reactions: 1 user
Just so everyone knows - I paid last night. My bank processed it. It doesn't show up on my application portal. I emailed & they said not to pay again, and they're working to fix the discrepancy.

This is prob neurotic but do we think it goes
sub-committee review --> move forward/R --> member of the committee review --> ii/R?

edit: Update -- after going through the 2019-2020 threads more, it's the other way around. Member of the committee then sub-committee review

Last edited:
where did you hear that?

Nowhere, I'm just speculating based on messages people are getting in the portal and might be totally off, and some people from last year's thread say not to read into it but idk why they'd be different messages just to say the same thing, and people's seemed to switch from one to the other.

"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
vs
"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."

I think one has to be at a different stage of review than the other, but like I said, the neuroticism is probs just in full swing rn lol

Reactions: 2 users
Nowhere, I'm just speculating based on messages people are getting in the portal and might be totally off, and some people from last year's thread say not to read into it but idk why they'd be different messages just to say the same thing, and people's seemed to switch from one to the other.

"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
vs
"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."

I think one has to be at a different stage of review than the other, but like I said, the neuroticism is probs just in full swing rn lol
Interesting observation. I actually wasnt aware that there were different messages on people's portals.

FWIW, I submitted pretty early in the process (before the 404 error stuff) and I have the first message.

Interesting observation. I actually wasnt aware that there were different messages on people's portals.

FWIW, I submitted pretty early in the process (before the 404 error stuff) and I have the first message.
I didn't know people got different messages either, I also submitted early and mine has always been the second message (a member of the committee)

I didn't know people got different messages either, I also submitted early and mine has always been the second message (a member of the committee)

I didn't realize til I read through these comments either! I submitted 7/13 and have the sub-committee message now but I don't know what it was before. If you always had member of committee, maybe that comes first as an initial review before the sub-committee decides together

Members don't see this ad :)
Does VCU send Secondary with out MCAT?

so i paid my supplemental fee (twice lol, they ate my $80) but my application still isn't saying 'complete' nor is the supplemental fee tab gone (is it supposed to be gone? because i can pay again if I wanted to lmao), i emailed them and they said theyre working on the double charge but i still feel like they're missing my payment?? help lol

so i paid my supplemental fee (twice lol, they ate my $80) but my application still isn't saying 'complete' nor is the supplemental fee tab gone (is it supposed to be gone? because i can pay again if I wanted to lmao), i emailed them and they said theyre working on the double charge but i still feel like they're missing my payment?? help lol
I paid and mine still wants me to pay it too. Emailed, they told me they hadn't received the payment yet. I'm gonna email again tomorrow if it still doesn't show. Blegh this is stressful

My friend got a secondary without an MCAT score in yet.

Typically in previous cycles they hold your application (without sending a secondary) until they receive an MCAT score. It's possible that this cycle they are approaching it differently due to the change in timelines, but that is not usually the case.

Typically in previous cycles they hold your application (without sending a secondary) until they receive an MCAT score. It's possible that this cycle they are approaching it differently due to the change in timelines, but that is not usually the case.

Yeah I'm thinking with covid they are approaching things a little differently. Anyway, I'm an incoming M1 here so feel free to ask any questions!

Yeah I'm thinking with covid they are approaching things a little differently. Anyway, I'm an incoming M1 here so feel free to ask any questions!
what other schools were you between? and why did you choose VCU?

Submitted my secondary on July 22. Woke up to an email this morning about a status change and was fully expecting an R. Was bracing myself while logging into the portal..... turns out it was just to let me know I was complete :rofl:

Sharing in case anyone else gets an almost heart attack from their status change emails!

Reactions: 1 users
Just to update.

My status changed from "Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."

to

Today

Submitted my secondary on July 22. Woke up to an email this morning about a status change and was fully expecting an R. Was bracing myself while logging into the portal..... turns out it was just to let me know I was complete :rofl:

Sharing in case anyone else gets an almost heart attack from their status change emails!
Omg same I had a literal heart attack thinking it was an R

Secondary submitted 7/19 and received the rejection notice today. I am super confused as to why they are rejecting people so early on in the cycle

Just to update.

My status changed from "Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."

to

Today

How long after you submitted your secondary did your status change?

Lol i wonder if they're just trolling us with these status changes.

My portal message switched from the "Sub-committee" to The admissions committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. Not sure what any of it means haha

My portal message switched from the "Sub-committee" to The admissions committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. Not sure what any of it means haha
Stats??

Honestly, after looking through a few previous years threads, no one has ever figured out the difference between the messages...
So probably nothing to it lol. Leave it to us premeds to overthink and worry about everything haha

• Haha
Is anyone else having issue with the portal still? I keep having to reset my password...I'm relatively sure I'm not being dumb and typing in the wrong password.

I was until I chose a password that was all numbers. I think since it says pin number it can't contain letters.

I was until I chose a password that was all numbers. I think since it says pin number it can't contain letters.
I have letters in mine and a special character so that's not true! I think their website is just janky...

I have letters in mine and a special character so that's not true! I think their website is just janky...
So the password can’t be more than 10 characters but when u establish ur pw it won’t tell if you if it is too long, it just stops you at 10 chars. So try just entering the first 10 characters of your password lol. Random but it’s what worked for me!

So the password can’t be more than 10 characters but when u establish ur pw it won’t tell if you if it is too long, it just stops you at 10 chars. So try just entering the first 10 characters of your password lol. Random but it’s what worked for me!

Ugh I changed it to one letter and a bunch of numbers and now it's giving me the error page. Honestly it was better when I had to reset every time haha

Ugh I changed it to one letter and a bunch of numbers and now it's giving me the error page. Honestly it was better when I had to reset every time haha
When you're on the error page, delete "/dashboard/login.aspx" from the URL and that should work like a charm! Or so it does for me

When you're on the error page, delete "/dashboard/login.aspx" from the URL and that should work like a charm! Or so it does for me

you, good sir, are a coding mastermind. you should add that to your apps.

Hi guys!
Someone on Reddit recently claimed that VCU had already sent out interview invitations. Can anyone confirm this?

Y'all, I'm so stupid. I just submitted my supplemental app and was perusing this thread when I saw that the question about lapses in undergraduate education includes gaps between undergrad and applying to med school. I have taken a couple gap years, but I guess I misread this question and thought it didn't apply to me so I left it blank :( Should I email the admissions office to explain? I'm sure that would be a bad look but I have nothing to lose, right?

Y'all, I'm so stupid. I just submitted my supplemental app and was perusing this thread when I saw that the question about lapses in undergraduate education includes gaps between undergrad and applying to med school. I have taken a couple gap years, but I guess I misread this question and thought it didn't apply to me so I left it blank :( Should I email the admissions office to explain? I'm sure that would be a bad look but I have nothing to lose, right?
Would this apply to only one gap year people too? Worried because I submitted too and left it blank

I submitted my app on 7/20 and paid that night. They still haven't received my fee. I've emailed the office a couple of times and they said they're working on it, but it's been nearly a week. I'm frustrated because I submitted my app already, but it can't go under review until they get the fee!

Has anyone else had this issue?

Would this apply to only one gap year people too? Worried because I submitted too and left it blank
FYI, I emailed Dr. Whitehurst-Cook (Dean of Admissions) and she said I should be fine because my list of activities in AMCAS should cover my gap year activities. So I still won't get to explain my reasoning behind taking gap years like the supplemental app asked for, but it doesn't seem like a huge issue.

I submitted my app on 7/20 and paid that night. They still haven't received my fee. I've emailed the office a couple of times and they said they're working on it, but it's been nearly a week. I'm frustrated because I submitted my app already, but it can't go under review until they get the fee!

Has anyone else had this issue?
How do you know whether they received the fee or not?

How do you know whether they received the fee or not?
In my portal, it says "Once your supplemental application fee is received and your recommendation letters are processed, your file will be complete." Also, I emailed them to check and they said they haven't received it. It came out of my bank account, though

Hi, for cover-19 essay, is it okay to write about a volunteer activity already mentioned in AMCAS application? asking because on the instructions doc attached in portal, it says that "answer to step 4 should not repeat information already received on your primary application?" Do they just mean, no copy/pasting or we are not suppose talk about the same experience?

R this morning rip, good luck to everyone who hasn't gotten chopped yet lol