2020-2021 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They said the issue was fixed on the 20th, so I'm sure it's fine if you submitted on the 21st. I submitted on the 26th and my portal says the same thing.
I submitted 7/23 and am having all kinds of issues. I might have to call up there.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone else have the sub-committee status?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally, after submitting and paying on 7/20, they have received my fee! My application is FINALLY under review! Hoping I don't get that swift R.

Lol so I actually screwed that question up, I think the exact wording was posted earlier in this thread: "Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education; include any in enrollment during your undergraduate education and/or any gaps between undergraduate education and applying to medical school. (example: poor grades, multiple withdraws, health reasons, etc.)". I have several gap years after undergrad but misread the question and left it blank because I thought it was only asking about lapses during undergrad. I emailed the Dean of Admissions after I realized this because I was worried but she said it should be fine because my gap year activities were described in my AMCAS app. But to answer your question, it does seem to be asking about gap years so I would mention why you decided to take gap years.
so i’m realizing I did the same thing..... I thought that meant like lapses or breaks during undergrad, not after. So in the third question i talked about what i’m doing this current gap year, but I also took a gap year last year. Do you think I need to email dr. WHC to check or do you think it’s fine??

Reactions: 1 user
so i’m realizing I did the same thing..... I thought that meant like lapses or breaks during undergrad, not after. So in the third question i talked about what i’m doing this current gap year, but I also took a gap year last year. Do you think I need to email dr. WHC to check or do you think it’s fine??
You can email her if you're concerned, but I pretty much had the same situation and she said it was fine!

Is anyone else having issues logging in? Every time I use the password I set, it does not go through so I use the “forgot my pin” function and it resets my pin back to my birthday...then let’s me in...I change my password again.. and the following day, my password still does not let me in so I do the process all over again. Anyone else?

Is anyone else having issues logging in? Every time I use the password I set, it does not go through so I use the “forgot my pin” function and it resets my pin back to my birthday...then let’s me in...I change my password again.. and the following day, my password still does not let me in so I do the process all over again. Anyone else?
I had the same issue. So I literally set my new password the same pin they reset back to (my birthday) and now it works.

Reactions: 1 users
I was complete the 14th, was on subcommittee for a while (don't know when or if it changed to that — I do think it started as "member of the committee," but it was subcommittee for at least 2 weeks) and today it became Your M.D. file is now complete. The admissions committee will now do a review of your application.

This seems to be the order everyone on the thread has had so far.

I was complete the 14th, was on subcommittee for a while (don't know when or if it changed to that — I do think it started as "member of the committee," but it was subcommittee for at least 2 weeks) and today it became Your M.D. file is now complete. The admissions committee will now do a review of your application.

Hmm. Mine was different. I submitted 7/20, but they didn't receive my fee for 2 weeks (annoying, I know). During that time, it just gave me a message that I needed to pay the fee for my app to be complete.
Suddenly, they got the fee and the portal status immediately changed to "Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application." I never saw anything about a subcommittee!

I have been "a member of the committee" since i submitted. I never noticed a subcommittee message.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OK this is strange but VCU was the only school I hadn’t gotten a secondary from but I did get an email saying theyd received my primary. I clicked the link to my portal from that email and boom there was the secondary and I submitted yesterday. Now have the “now complete“ message. Wondering if I wasn’t supposed to have a secondary and just stumbled onto it or if there was a mistake sending emails. Either way, I’m here for the time being lol

OK this is strange but VCU was the only school I hadn’t gotten a secondary from but I did get an email saying theyd received my primary. I clicked the link to my portal from that email and boom there was the secondary and I submitted yesterday. Now have the “now complete“ message. Wondering if I wasn’t supposed to have a secondary and just stumbled onto it or if there was a mistake sending emails. Either way, I’m here for the time being lol

The same exact thing happened to me...

Hmm. Mine was different. I submitted 7/20, but they didn't receive my fee for 2 weeks (annoying, I know). During that time, it just gave me a message that I needed to pay the fee for my app to be complete.
Suddenly, they got the fee and the portal status immediately changed to "Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application." I never saw anything about a subcommittee!

Yeah sorry I should've clarified that it seems people either stay at one of the messages, or if the message changes, that's the order it changes in (member --> sub --> committee) since VCU does do a tiered review.

When I called about a prereq counting before I submitted, they said a committee member will deal with some of the situations case-by-case to make sure I meet their requirements, so I'm guessing it's a preliminary type of check? Who knows though, speculation is speculation. Maybe they were quicker for the super early secondary turnover but when apps added up and they slowed down.

Who knows. Anything to make me believe I didn't bomb CASPer helps sleep at night haha

Do we know when they will start sending out IIs?

So, uh, VCU is a Casper school. And apparently now there's something called CASPER Snapshot according to the email Casper sent out a few hours ago?? Do we have to do this too?

So, uh, VCU is a Casper school. And apparently now there's something called CASPER Snapshot according to the email Casper sent out a few hours ago?? Do we have to do this too?
I don't see them on the CASPer school list - is this new?

Are you scared to input it? I'm sure schools are pretty safe about that kinda stuff.
No I'm just a ******* and I'm paranoid that I put it in wrong for some of the schools I've already submitted. Wasn't sure if this is one of those schools or not tho because you can't see the application once you've submitted

VCU definitely is using Casper this cycle. And no, the Casper snapshot is completely optional (and stupid).
JK I already had them on my school list so that's why they didn't show up when I tried to send my scores to them

Would someone mind sharing how long they had to wait between submitting their primary and receiving their secondary?

My primary was verified last week. I don't want to start their essay if I'm going to get rejected.

Was emailed about "change in application status," assumed it was the R but it was just: Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

I guess the admissions committee finished from Wednesday but they aren't announcing decisions yet

Reactions: 4 users
I submitted my secondary on 7/29, but my portal says: "Your supplemental application has been received. Once your supplemental application fee is received and your recommendation letters are processed, your file will be complete. "
I've sent in my LORs through AMCAS and my Casper score, and I'm a FAP applicant. How long did it take for people to go from "submitted" to "complete"?

Was emailed about "change in application status," assumed it was the R but it was just: Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

I guess the admissions committee finished from Wednesday but they aren't announcing decisions yet
When were you marked complete, if you do not mind sharing? Thanks!

Rejected 36 hours after submitting. Not the highest stats but within their ranges on MSAR. ECs are pretty dang solid since I’m in my second gap year. I would like to know how they made such a quick decision.

• Wow
  • Care
I noticed today that my status now says the sub-committee is reviewing my app!

Rejected 36 hours after submitting. Not the highest stats but within their ranges on MSAR. ECs are pretty dang solid since I’m in my second gap year. I would like to know how they made such a quick decision.
stats?

That’s so frustrating. Sorry to hear this. Keep your head up, friend!

My status just switched from:
"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE."

My status is now:
"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."

Still don't know what this means. Is it a good thing, bad thing, or nothing at all?

My status just switched from:
"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE."

My status is now:
"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."

Still don't know what this means. Is it a good thing, bad thing, or nothing at all?
Probably nothing at all. Mine went from "committee" to "subcommittee" to "admissions committee" (which is where it's at right now and has been for a few weeks i think). I think its just different levels of review

Probably nothing at all. Mine went from "committee" to "subcommittee" to "admissions committee" (which is where it's at right now and has been for a few weeks i think). I think its just different levels of review
Mine also went through that progression and it's been at "admissions committee" for a few days

mine went from "sub-committee" to "committee." how can this order mean anything if its not consistent lol

• Haha
If my app was verified a week ago, and I still have not received a secondary from this school, should I assume I have been rejected? :confused:

How long did it take to receive secondary? Added them to verified primary 8/10

If my app was verified a week ago, and I still have not received a secondary from this school, should I assume I have been rejected? :confused:

I wouldn't assume rejection. I was never notified by email with secondary. I had to go to the portal and sign in and then boom, a secondary was there. I was verified last week some time.

Did anyone receive an email after they submit? I have no status in the portal about the application being complete and didn't receive an email after it so you can say I am slightly concerned.

Did anyone receive an email after they submit? I have no status in the portal about the application being complete and didn't receive an email after it so you can say I am slightly concerned.
You should reach out to them if your status in the portal does not say complete. Someone on Reddit had the same issue and apparently after reaching out to VCU, they were informed that there was some glitch in the portal and so they were still incomplete.

I wouldn't assume rejection. I was never notified by email with secondary. I had to go to the portal and sign in and then boom, a secondary was there. I was verified last week some time.

Hmm....I never even got an email from them stating that they received my primary app. I’m thinking of maybe emailing them.

I submitted my secondary on 7/29, but my portal says: "Your supplemental application has been received. Once your supplemental application fee is received and your recommendation letters are processed, your file will be complete. "
I've sent in my LORs through AMCAS and my Casper score, and I'm a FAP applicant. How long did it take for people to go from "submitted" to "complete"?
Okay, so I submitted my secondary application on mid-July (super early), and it's STILL STUCK IN THAT STATUS "Your supplemental application has been received. Once your supplemental application fee is received and your recommendation letters are processed, your file will be complete." I emailed them on early August, and they said there was a "technical difficulty with payment system. We're sending your information to appropriate personnel..." It's been several days and still stuck on that status. I just emailed them again today for any progress report. At this point, I'm just gonna assume that the school is not a good fit for me and that I will never hear back from them.

Last edited:
How were you able to sign in the portal without secondary invite?

Hi, here is what I just learnt.

It seems some people may have a secondary but did not receive an email - like me. So I google their secondary site, imputed my AMCAS id and pin - Pin is like ur birthday info- read the instructions and bam. You can submit.

Not sure it its like that for everyone but it was for me. :)

Gluck!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users