2020-2021 Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if they’re still sending out ii’s

wondering this too. I was also rejected from wisco and virgina tech and my mcat/gpa are decently higher than their averages. Also OOS and still waiting on UVA
Indiana kind of threw me off to be honest, but Wisconsin is apparently really hard OOS unless you have a significant tie to the school or state, like almost impossible I've heard. And Virginia Tech has only 43 seats in its entire class, so its super competitive just bc the seats are so few. I guess UVA is just better bc the seat size is decent and there isn't really a particular in-state bias as there is for schools like Wisconsin or Indiana, but obviously UVA is ultra high stat - as in very very few applicants are probably much above their averages. And apparently not having in-state residency but ties is a lot more common than I thought, so even the few OOS seats these in-state strong bias schools have are like for those people. Idk if I'm just doing confirmation bias/trying to make myself feel better lol, but I've heard this stuff makes a significant difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Indiana kind of threw me off to be honest, but Wisconsin is apparently really hard OOS unless you have a significant tie to the school or state, like almost impossible I've heard. And Virginia Tech has only 43 seats in its entire class, so its super competitive just bc the seats are so few. I guess UVA is just better bc the seat size is decent and there isn't really a particular in-state bias as there is for schools like Wisconsin or Indiana, but obviously UVA is ultra high stat - as in very very few applicants are probably much above their averages. And apparently not having in-state residency but ties is a lot more common than I thought, so even the few OOS seats these in-state strong bias schools have are like for those people. Idk if I'm just doing confirmation bias/trying to make myself feel better lol, but I've heard this stuff makes a significant difference.

I will say I was OOS and have pretty much zero ties to Virginia, and as far as I know most of my classmates that are OOS don't have a big Virginia backstory.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the general consensus on sending update letters/letter of interest? I know they're pretty receptive to updates, but what's the ideal length/size? Mine is like 2 pages long and I feel like they'll just see it and be like "nah". Any thoughts/insight on this?

Reactions: 1 users
Do the UVA interviewers look at our applications before the interview?

Also, on a scale from 0-10, how was your interview experience? Where 0 is completely chill and conversational and 10 is an interrogation.

Also, on a scale from 0-10, how was your interview experience? Where 0 is completely chill and conversational and 10 is an interrogation.
Yes it is open file.

It was an 11. A virtual water-boarding if you will. Jk it was extremely chill, conversational and welcoming.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

I interviewed today and I would says its a 6.

Did anyone submit thank you letters and if so, did you email the admissions office or upload it through the portal?

Reactions: 1 user

Did anyone submit thank you letters and if so, did you email the admissions office or upload it through the portal?
I didn’t send a thank you letter and ended up getting an A so it’s not necessary! Couldn’t hurt though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t send a thank you letter and ended up getting an A so it’s not necessary! Couldn’t hurt though!
Congrats on that A!! And thanks!

I e-mailed them to the admissions office. Interviewed on a Tuesday, sent the letters the day after, and received my decision on that Friday.

Last year's thread seemed to have a lot of IIs going out in December and January, so hopefully some of them start coming out soon!
Do you/anybody know what UVAs complete applicant pool this year is compared to last year? Have they also received a huge increase in applications?

what's the consensus on update letters? just upload them but don't send an email?

what's the consensus on update letters? just upload them but don't send an email?
Send them an email. I asked Dr.Mariano what to do with mine and she said to her an email with the notes.

Send them an email. I asked Dr.Mariano what to do with mine and she said to her an email with the notes.
I think I misunderstood what you said after you said "send them an email." Mind explaining? And also did you mean Dr. Marzani?

were you asking them what to do about a pre- or post-II update? i feel annoying emailing them after uploading lol

Has anyone gotten an II here recently? It seems like none have been reported in at least a month

were you asking them what to do about a pre- or post-II update? i feel annoying emailing them after uploading lol
I was asking them where I should upload thank you notes to the portal or email them. This is what I got sent back:

Thank you for your email. We were delighted to meet you!
Please send your thank you notes to the [email protected] inbox and we will forward them.

I'm not sure about pre/post II updates though!

I got the A this morning!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Application was complete in late August, but haven't heard a word from here after my secondary was submitted...any advice on whether to contact the Admissions office? Should I just lose hope? Lol

should I be concerned/take it as a soft-R if I'm in-state and haven't received an II yet?
complete early-August

Last edited:
should I be concerned/take it as a soft-R if I'm in-state and haven't received an II yet?
complete mid-August
also IS and similar complete time.....looks like IIs haven’t been sent in over a month, so hoping there’s another wave soon

OOS LM 79 got an II today !!! sooooo excited abt this school!!!

Reactions: 3 users
II today! complete mid July. Dates available were Jan 19th, 20th, 21st, 25th, and 26th.

man i wonder if they'll be extending their interview timeline this year - or at least I hope that's the case

OMG II!!!!!! IS, LM74. complete early Aug
I'm literally soooo ecstatic!! got hit with 3Rs earlier this week, so this was definitely needed

interview dates were for mid-Jan

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
Reactions: 3 users
II today!! IS, Complete early Sep

Sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone sent UVA a pre-II update? I can't find any information about updates on their website. Do we upload to the portal or email them? Thanks!

Sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone sent UVA a pre-II update? I can't find any information about updates on their website. Do we upload to the portal or email them? Thanks!
I uploaded it to the portal, under "Document Upload." Couldn't find anything on their website either, but this is what was instructed in their application complete email.

II this morning. Honestly, still in shock and think it's a joke. My stats aren't even 8th cousins to their stats so thinking it's a joke, but gonna go with it!!

Reactions: 10 users
II this morning. Honestly, still in shock and think it's a joke. My stats aren't even 8th cousins to their stats so thinking it's a joke, but gonna go with it!!
congrats, thats a great feeling!! when were you complete if you dont mind me asking?

This was literally me earlier this week!!