2020-2021 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing to comment on....their calculations are wrong. I'm not sure how they calculate 6.5 A and 7.8 As per accepted applicant and don't think something is off. Especially when 50% of matriculants were 1 A applicants.
I mean you're right, it sounds off to me; I was doing math at 2am, which doesn't always have a solid track record 😂 Not sure where it went wrong though? I did post my calculations, and am still lost as to where the error might be.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean you're right, it sounds off to me; I was doing math at 2am, which doesn't always have a solid track record 😂 Not sure where it went wrong though? I did post my calculations, and am still lost as to where the error might be.
It's 1.63 A per accepted applicant, not total applicants. Total As given out hover around 20k at the moment.

Nothing to comment on....their calculations are wrong. I'm not sure how they calculate 6.5 A and 7.8 As per accepted applicant and don't think something is off. Especially when 50% of matriculants were 1 A applicants.
Yup. The calculations are incorrect on their face, because @wpneuro is multiplying what he thinks is As per applicant by the total number of applicants, and then coming up with a crazy high number that he is not subjecting to a reality check. (@Rheopecty -- 1.63*60,000 applicants/12,613 accepted applicants = 7.8 As per accepted applicant!)

We all know the average As per accepted applicant in any given year is nowhere near 7 or 8! :) The number he is looking for is already provided by AAMC, but the AAMC labeling is less than crystal clear. There are, as of 2/8, 1.63 acceptances per accepted applicant, which is down slightly from last year.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's 1.63 A per accepted applicant, not total applicants. Total As given out hover around 20k at the moment.
Ah, missed your earlier post too; that's my bad! I guess I was biased by my experiences on the MD-PhD side, especially since I haven't followed the stuff here quite as closely. Thanks for the correction!

Where you went wrong was by misreading the ambiguous labeling. The 1.63 is per accepted applicant, not total applicants. In a world where almost 60% have zero As and half of the remainder have one, there is no way that the average for all applicants could be 1.63, and the average for accepted applicants could be close to 8, when only a tiny fraction of a percent of accepted applicants have more than 8 (as of 2/8, 56 out of 12,613!).

Where you went wrong was by misreading the ambiguous labeling. The 1.63 is per accepted applicant, not total applicants. In a world where almost 60% have zero As and half of the remainder have one, there is no way that the average for all applicants could be 1.63, and the average for accepted applicants could be close to 8, when only a tiny fraction of a percent of accepted applicants have more than 8 (as of 2/8, 56 out of 12,613!).
RIP my basic arithmetic skills making it through K12 and undergrad to be felled in the 2am gauntlet of SDN... 😂 To be fair, it's not ambiguous labeling by AAMC; it's straight-up incorrect. I *should* have noticed the mismatch between my calculations and the other numbers in the table though, so that's on me 😅 This is what I get for taking AAMC's words at face value lmao

Reactions: 1 users
RIP my basic arithmetic skills making it through K12 and undergrad to be felled in the 2am gauntlet of SDN... 😂 To be fair, it's not ambiguous labeling by AAMC; it's straight-up incorrect. I *should* have noticed the mismatch between my calculations and the other numbers in the table though, so that's on me 😅 This is what I get for taking AAMC's words at face value lmao
:)

You're being too hard on yourself, because your arithmetic skills are perfect -- it's the reality check that failed. You're also being a little too harsh with AAMC, because the label is merely ambiguous, not flat out wrong. The table is "Applicants by Acceptances," so the population of "applicants" only includes those with acceptances, since they did not include a line item with zero acceptances.

Just wanted to point out that it says number of As per applicant, not per accepted applicant! Given an increase in total applicants, we can't necessarily make any judgements about whether or not there are more applicants with more As from the AAMC tables (which are also from early February, a month ago now). I still think it's the case based on info from MD-PhD PDs, but it's definitely important to keep in mind that the two (MD vs MD-PhD) cycles likely operate slightly differently in numbers (though I maintain that general trends are likely applicable to both). Edit: I crunched the numbers out of boredom, and there are
  1. Fewer applicants with As but
  2. More As given as of 2/8, which means
  3. On average, more As per accepted applicant.
Math below:

2021 MD application cycle
60127 processed apps * 1.63 As/applicant = 98007 As handed out --> 12613 accepted applicants = 7.8 As per accepted applicant

2020 MD application cycle
50804 processed apps * 1.72 As/applicant = 87383 As handed out --> 13377 accepted applicants = 6.5 As per accepted applicant

Posts quoted below are from the MD-PhD PDs (bolding mine): they're also seeing that more of their accepted applicants have more As, which isn't a huge shocker at this point.
This analysis is incorrect. Second column in table is "accepted" applicant. Number of A's handed out is 20559 vs. 23008 at same time last year. Very poor labeling by AAMC.

Honestly, someone needs to tell AAMC to use median instead of mean for a skewed distribution. The mean is .... meaningless.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
So, for those of you keeping score at home, welcome to what has turned out to be the most insane application cycle ever!!!

99,033 primaries started and 60,127 actually submitted, an 18% increase over last cycle, as reported earlier. This means the overall accept rate is going to go from 43% last year to 36% this year, assuming there are no new MD seats this year.

For those who were always planning on applying this cycle, it is always possible that the additional 9300 applicants threw in half baked, last minute applications that weren't competitive, and your results won't be as bad as the top line numbers suggest, but, we'll never really know for sure.

The good news for everyone on a WL is that, as of 2/8, only 12,613 people had at least one A, a 764 decrease from last year. While a month has passed since then, this still means literally thousands of people (9,000 as of 2/8) who do not have As will have at least one before school starts this summer. Some will come from initial As, but many will come from WLs. The only people eligible to receive one of these As will be those who had interviews and have not yet been rejected, which is a pretty small subset of the total applicant pool, so it is way too soon to give up hope for this cycle if you are presently on WLs. Good luck!!!!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
So, for those of you keeping score at home, welcome to what has turned out to be the most insane application cycle ever!!!

99,033 primaries started and 60,127 actually submitted, an 18% increase over last cycle, as reported earlier. This mean the overall accept rate is going to go from 43% last year to 36% this year, assuming there are no new MD seats this year.

For those who were always planning on applying this cycle, it is always possible that the additional 9300 applicants threw in half baked, last minute applications that weren't competitive, and your results won't be as bad as the top line numbers first appear, but, we'll never really know for sure.

The good news for everyone on a WL is that, as of 2/8, only 12,613 people had at least one A, a 764 decrease from last year. While a month has passed since then, this still means literally thousands of people (9,000 as of 2/8) who do not have As will have at least one before school starts this summer. Some will come from initial As, but many will come from WLs. The only people eligible will be those who had interviews and have not yet been rejected, which is a pretty small subset of the total applicant pool, so it is way too soon to give up hope for this cycle if you are presently on WLs. Good luck!!!!
I'm just confused on where you got that 9,000 number from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just confused on where you got that 9,000 number from?
12,613 individuals held at least one A as of 2/8. There were 21,625 US-MD MS1 seats last year. 21,625-12,613=9,012 additional people who will have at least one A by the time all the schools begin classes this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

99,033 primaries started and 60,127 actually submitted, an 18% increase over last cycle, as reported earlier. This mean the overall accept rate is going to go from 43% last year to 36% this year, assuming there are no new MD seats this year.

For those who were always planning on applying this cycle, it is always possible that the additional 9300 applicants threw in half baked, last minute applications that weren't competitive, and your results won't be as bad as the top line numbers first appear, but, we'll never really know for sure.

The good news for everyone on a WL is that, as of 2/8, only 12,613 people had at least one A, a 764 decrease from last year. While a month has passed since then, this still means literally thousands of people (9,000 as of 2/8) who do not have As will have at least one before school starts this summer. Some will come from initial As, but many will come from WLs. The only people eligible will be those who had interviews and have not yet been rejected, which is a pretty small subset of the total applicant pool, so it is way too soon to give up hope for this cycle if you are presently on WLs. Good luck!!!!

12,613 individuals hold at least one A as of 2/8. There were 21,625 US-MD MS1 seats last year. 21,625-12,613=9,012 additional people who will have at least one A by the time all the schools begin classes this summer.

this seems like absolutely great news

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks to those of you out there who cranked out these numbers and interpreted them!
To my friends on WL's but no A's yet, how are you staying sane? I think I'm slowly losing my mind (2 WL's + 4 post-interview silences, which I'm not too optimistic about at this point) and would appreciate any advice!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Waitlisted at my top choice and only in state school earlier this week. Was disappointed to find that last cycle they didn’t seem to dip into the waitlist very much! Here’s to more waiting!

• Care
The thing I am curious about is while there was a 20% increase in the actual number of applications processed but there was a 75% increase in the number of transcript received.
Yeah. Nice observation. Sounds like more transcripts per applicant. Any conclusions you'd like to share? I have my own thoughts, but I'd not sure people will appreciate them coming from a lowly premed, so I'd love to hear your thoughts as a respected, experienced adcom.

The thing I am curious about is while there was a 20% increase in the actual number of applications processed but there was a 75% increase in the number of transcript received.
My theory:
>People send in transcripts.
>People see their MCAT score (or any myriad of personal disqualifying reasons for applying).
>People no longer send in their app.

Reactions: 2 users
My theory:
>People send in transcripts.
>People see their MCAT score (or any myriad of personal disqualifying reasons for applying).
>People no longer send in their app.
But, that happens every year. He's asking why 13% more applications were started, 18% more applications were submitted, but a whopping 72% more transcripts were received? On its face, it seems incongruent.

FWIW, the percent of apps started that ultimately were submitted actually went UP this cycle, from 58% to 61%! And, maybe that's part of the explanation, because people who are going to submit are more likely to order transcripts than people who start and then abandon an application, but that doesn't account for a 72% increase associated with a 3% increase in completed apps.

Yeah....that does seem weird.

Thanks to those of you out there who cranked out these numbers and interpreted them!
To my friends on WL's but no A's yet, how are you staying sane? I think I'm slowly losing my mind (2 WL's + 4 post-interview silences, which I'm not too optimistic about at this point) and would appreciate any advice!
To be honest, not coping well. This is my second cycle. Waitlisted at my top choice for the second time. It’s really damaging to your spirit to have worked this hard and been through so much just to be told you aren’t good enough. So far, the only thing that has given me any sort of comfort has been talking to people here on the SDN who really know how hard this is and have shared experience. I urge you to reach out to any kind of support you have and talk through things. Aside from that, always ALWAYS hope for the best, but plan for the worst so you can set yourself up for success moving forward.

Feel free to DM me if you or anyone needs to vent or chat.

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
I feel like by default anybody who puts themselves through this bs does not qualify as sane (aka all of us). I forgot what unadulterated sanity feels like after I hit submit on AMCAS.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know whether it's appropriate to reach out to schools to see where on the waitlist you are? Sitting on a couple of waitlists right now, but those schools seem to have waitlisted a lot of applicants...

Does anyone know whether it's appropriate to reach out to schools to see where on the waitlist you are? Sitting on a couple of waitlists right now, but those schools seem to have waitlisted a lot of applicants...
Totally. Some will be transparent but, unfortunately, many will not tell you anything.

On 5 WLs currently with two more most likely coming. Honestly not doing amazing but life goes on, trying to figure out if I'm gonna apply this summer or wait. This was my 3rd time already. Just trying to hang with friends/family/do the things I love so things feel normal.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Throwing my hat in the ring, I have been on 4 interviews and currently sit on three waitlists with one decision remaining.

• Care
But, that happens every year. He's asking why 13% more applications were started, 18% more applications were submitted, but a whopping 72% more transcripts were received? On its face, it seems incongruent.

FWIW, the percent of apps started that ultimately were submitted actually went UP this cycle, from 58% to 61%! And, maybe that's part of the explanation, because people who are going to submit are more likely to order transcripts than people who start and then abandon an application, but that doesn't account for a 72% increase associated with a 3% increase in completed apps.
IMO, the most important metric for assessing year-over-year changes in applicant volume is completed secondaries - does this data exist? Without the completed secondaries benchmark, you can't really meaningfully speculate on the overall applicant picture.

As others have mentioned above, I think the application increase we saw this year (assuming this data is primary apps) is due almost entirely to those applying without an MCAT score. Transcript requesting is the easiest part of the app so it may very well be that this discrepancy is due to applicants knocking off the low-hanging fruit of the primary app while waiting on their scores w/o committing to the more intensive parts.

On a more positive note, I agree with others suggesting that we may actually see greater WL movement this cycle. Not sure if this is due to virtual interviews or a more conservative approach to acceptance offering throughout interview season but regardless, I'm optimistic about our chances!

Edit: Optimism bias disclosure: 0A, 2WL, 1 Post-II R, 4 post-II decisions pending

Last edited:
Joining this thread as someone with 2WL post interviews in November (and haven’t received any other interviews). I know movement has barely begun but this waiting period sucks. Going to have to start studying for the mcat soon since that’s the only lacking part of my app. Hoping for the best for all of us 🥺

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Deferral has turned into a waitlist, so now I'm officially a member of team waitlist. Actually, I now have 3 waitlists (1 DO, 2 MD), so yeah, I'm here to join the group therapy/catharsis/venting.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Just got my last WL so officially waitlisted at all schools I interviewed at :cryi:

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Sitting on 8 WLs, thought I had decent/good interviews but I knew I butchered VITA 😥

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users
What do you all think about VITA for the next cycle? I think I would mind reapplying less if I didn't have to do VITA again next cycle.

This may have been asked already. If we get off WL after we CTE, do we get tuition from the place where we paid tuition back etc? Just trying to understand the WL process. Thank you in advance

This may have been asked already. If we get off WL after we CTE, do we get tuition from the place where we paid tuition back etc? Just trying to understand the WL process. Thank you in advance
In general, it doesn't happen! The "C" in CTE stands for "Commit." Under the rules (guidelines) you are supposed to withdraw from ALL WLs when you select CTE. If the CTE school learns that you did not, your acceptance could be rescinded. In addition, if the WL schools are playing by the rules, they will kick you off the WL when they see you have selected CTE elsewhere, as they will be able to see beginning on 4/30.

So, no, if you break all the rules and somehow get away with it, there is no protocol to refund non-refundable money paid, and you will be at the mercy of the school. It's not worth worrying about, because it would be pretty rare to actually receive an A from a participating school after selecting CTE elsewhere. If you have an approaching CTE deadline, your play is to beg your WL school for a decision and then, if you don't receive an A before your deadline, to kiss it goodbye.

These protocols are not total BS. They are set up by the schools, to benefit the schools, by allowing them to manage their enrollment process. They are reasonably diligent in following them, as opposed to just ignoring them all over the place to benefit us. If that were really a thing, they wouldn't have set them up in the first place, and, if they allow us to ignore them with impunity, there will be chaos as people play musical chairs right through the first few days or weeks of classes at some early start schools.

Last edited:
In general, it doesn't happen! The "C" in CTE stands for "Commit." Under the rules (guidelines) you are supposed to withdraw from ALL WLs when you selected CTE -- if the CTE school learns that you did not, your acceptance could be rescinded. In addition, if the WL schools are playing by the rules, they will kick you off the WL when they see you have selected CTE elsewhere, as they will be able to see beginning on 4/30.

So, no, if you break all the rules and somehow get away with it, there is no protocol to refund non-refundable money paid, and you will be at the mercy of the school. It's not worth worrying about, because it would be pretty rare to actually receive an A from a participating school after selecting CTE elsewhere. If you have an approaching CTE deadline, your play is to beg your WL school for a decision and then, if you don't receive one, to kiss it goodbye.

These protocols are not total BS. They are set up by the schools, to benefit the schools, by allowing them to manage their enrollment process. They are reasonably diligent in following them, as opposed to just ignoring them all over the place to benefit us. If that were really a thing, they wouldn't have set them up in the first place.
You really in every thread huh

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
You really in every thread huh
Not quite, but, there are a few that deal with the same issues over and over and over and over. Having taken the time to educate myself in these areas, I am happy to provide answers over and over and over and over. :)

So, after CTE, it's only for people with no As but all WLs

So, after CTE, it's only for people with no As but all WLs
No. Read this:

Nobody can see anything until 4/30. Unfortunately for you, if 4/30 is really your CTE deadline (please confirm this with the school), the "rules" require that you withdraw from all your WLs when you select CTE. Your WL school will see this on 4/30, and, if they are playing by the "rules" they will kick you off the WL if you don't withdraw, so you won't ever have to worry about being accepted.

This is what is evil about allowing schools to set arbitrary CTE dates. There is absolutely no connection between 4/30 and when classes start at any school, so there is no reason to require anyone to select it so early. It is merely the first date that the CYMS tool will allow you to select CTE. It is just a device to force you to attend your CTE school without affording you the opportunity to see if you are called off the WL at your top choice. An opportunity that thousands of other applicants across the country will not be denied. Evil.

@gyngyn, @LizzyM, @Moko -- Do you guys have any juice, or have access to people that do? You have all proven yourselves to be strong advocates for applicants and students, and AMCAS REALLY should consider not allowing the tool to be used for CTE selection until the end of May, a full month after the requirement to reduce to one A and to provide visibility to schools regarding PTE selections. This would provide the necessary buffer to allow the system to work its magic, and to allow everyone to participate as the bulk of WL movement occurs.

Does any school really need a CTE date before then? Do any schools actually begin orientation before the third week of June? It is honestly BS that people like OP are going to be disadvantaged like this, as some schools simply game the system to their advantage. It would be great if this glaring inequity were addressed, if not now, then maybe in time for me next year. :cool:
CTE dates are all over the place. After your CTE deadline, plenty of people could theoretically still be on those WLs while being PTE somewhere, which is totally unfair to people like you. It's definitely not just for people with no As. That's not until the very end, after classes have begun in most of the country, just like you'd expect.

No. Read this:

CTE dates are all over the place. After your CTE deadline, plenty of people could theoretically still be on those WLs while being PTE somewhere, which is totally unfair to people like you. It's definitely not just for people with no As. That's not until the very end, after classes have begun in most of the country, just like you'd expect.
It's probably going off-topic, but 4/30 is PTE and 6/30 is CTE, commonly used by AMCAS, I thought. No?

It's probably going off-topic, but 4/30 is PTE and 6/30 is CTE, commonly used by AMCAS, I thought. No?

I may be wrong, but it seems each school has their own CTE to account for their different start dates. Like one school ik has theirs on June 1st.

No. Most, but not all, schools require you to reduce to one A and select PTE by 4/30. CTE dates are all over the place, and are determined STRICTLY by the schools. AMCAS recommends that it be 3 weeks before orientation, but it can be whenever schools decide, and some schools set it as early as 4/30, as I noted in my quote above.

You ABSOLUTELY have to reach out to the schools you have As at now (or, check their websites, portals, your e-mails, or wherever else they would provide this information to you) and find out what their dates are. Having a later CTE date (thereby allowing you to stay on WLs longer) might impact your decision!

I may be wrong, but it seems each school has their own CTE to account for their different start dates. Like one school ik has theirs on June 1st.
Is there a list floating around on SDN with those dates?

Is there a list floating around on SDN with those dates?
Maybe, but don't rely on it. You have 2 As!!!! Go directly to the source and get the most accurate, up to date information!!!!!!

Maybe, but don't rely on it. You have 2 As!!!! Go directly to the source and get the most accurate, up to date information!!!!!!
Ok - will reach out. Hope the CTE is August!!!

Ok - will reach out. Hope the CTE is August!!!
The ethical schools set it 3 weeks before orientation, so start with that. Most schools have a timeline on their admissions websites, so you shouldn't have to actually personally reach out to anyone. Schools do start anywhere from June-August, so that drives some of the disparity, but, some schools do just go out of their way to screw you over by forcing you to commit early and drop all WLs, so be careful. I am pretty sure your schools are not dicks when it comes to this, so you should be reasonably okay.

It sucks knowing that my cycle is basically over and I'm just waiting for any one out of the six schools I'm waitlisted at to accept me :(

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
It sucks knowing that my cycle is basically over and I'm just waiting for any one out of the six schools I'm waitlisted at to accept me :(
Ahhhh, hard relate! Here's to both of us getting in sometime soon!

• Care