2020-2021 Washington State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow. Still in disbelief.

I hope all the best for all y’all and that I see a lot of you next fall :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
i have an interview for WSU ESFCOM very soon. Does anyone have a prep resources and tips?

I have an interview for WSU ESFCOM, does anyone have prep tips or resources?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys how many people who have received an acceptance did the mock interview? and did you think it helped with the actual interview?

Pleasure interviewing with all of you today! Wish you all the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Just received my pre-II R! Complete 7/21. Good luck to everyone!
+1. LM 74 IS with good EC's and went 0/2 for WA schools but multiple OOS state school II's LOL
Going in I thought UW and WSU were my safest options, just goes to show that this process is a crapshoot. Oh well, I am excited to explore a different part of the country once more!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
+1. LM 74 IS with good EC's and went 0/2 for WA schools but multiple OOS state school II's LOL
Going in I thought UW and WSU were my safest options, just goes to show that this process is a crapshoot. Oh well, I am excited to explore a different part of the country once more!
hmm those are killer stats. U get good healthcare experience?
their average age I think it said 25 or 26 which is like half the people at least are "nontraditional". that average age seemed high to me but i havnt really researched other schools.
Im hoping that because I lived and worked in rural healthcare it would help me out with this school. rural doctors are also a lot more chill, one of them just let me hang out in his clinic for a year haha

hmm those are killer stats. U get good healthcare experience?
their average age I think it said 25 or 26 which is like half the people at least are "nontraditional". that average age seemed high to me but i havnt really researched other schools.
Im hoping that because I lived and worked in rural healthcare it would help me out with this school. rural doctors are also a lot more chill, one of them just let me hang out in his clinic for a year haha
I had enough experience, but I probably didn't fit into WSU's mission/type of students they want (i.e. I am traditional, went to school OOS, 0 rural health exp, probably gave off vibes I would not stay in WA lol).

Hey guys! Out of those of you who got an A did any of you not have experience with rural healthcare? I've visited rural communities but other than that have zero experience with them. I do however have a lot of experience with underserved communities in urban areas but I don't know if that's sufficient. I'm done with my interview and am waiting to here back and getting really nervous.

Hey guys! Out of those of you who got an A did any of you not have experience with rural healthcare? I've visited rural communities but other than that have zero experience with them. I do however have a lot of experience with underserved communities in urban areas but I don't know if that's sufficient. I'm done with my interview and am waiting to here back and getting really nervous.
I only shadowed physicians in rural areas, but almost all of my volunteer work was in urban areas like you!

still waiting on the call/email of doom
I am a pharmacy manager in rural wa (up by the canadian boarder). I started a lot of programs that I think have helped the area, especially because of how covid has restricted healthcare access up here. Mass vaccination program, Insurance comparison service, adherence monitoring, ect. there are so many problems out here with healthcare that seem like no brainers but continue to be pervasive. for example ~half my pts dont have internet (and people keep preaching telle med like they think it would work out here?), a third are all cash paying, and most do not trust the local providers who rotate through here every 6 months on a temporary basis. I also volunteered at a cancer clinic in rural idaho for a year. my stats/gpa leave a little to be desired though lol.
Wow you have a lot of really good rural experience! I know the mission says its focused on addressing challenging healthcare environments in WA but from reading this thread as well as after the interview day I definitely feel like its more focused on rural medicine so i'm scared I don't have the qualities of a competitive applicant, especially after hearing all of your experience with rural healthcare.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rural? Nearly zero. But I have a passion for and some decent experience in Veterans health which WSU seemed to highly value as they place the Washington Veterans Community as highly underserved.

I remember in one of the info sessions they basically said "rural or underserved medicine does not necessarily mean being a primary care working in the middle of nowhere, telehealth opens a lot of that up, etc" something along those lines. Basically, if you understand the medical inequity and see yourself working to help fill that gap, that's what matters.

If there are any current students here please pass on my heart-felt congrats to the person (C.H.) who just matched Urology! I've been stalking the spreadsheet. I wish them all the best.

Anyone know how many more interview days they have left? I tried checking online but couldn't find anything.

Withdrew my acceptance. I'll be across the river next fall. Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone know how many more interview days they have left? I tried checking online but couldn't find anything.
this is pure assumption however I suspect they have 8 interview days left. They might be filling these in pairs to give people an alternate day to interview which would mean there are 4 slots left. I would think 3 of them are already full and they are reserving the last slot for last minute cancelations due to people choosing other schools and letting them know.

Please call the school and let them know if you are intending on going to a different school ASAP because its really putting other students in a bad spot. For everyone that cancels early before AMCAS makes you it is going to mean that potentially a more qualified applicant is going to interview and be accepted over someone on a wait list. It is the most fair and professional thing to do the same day you receive an A from another school you are favoring. I really think its not too much to ask for applicants to rank all the schools they've applied for and be resolved on your rankings shortly after you have interviewed.

Hoping more phone calls come thru soon, maybe today 👀🤞🙏

Does WSU not accept letter of intents?

They said that you can send them, but they don't consider it when making a decision. They kind of encouraged us not to send anything. At the interview session I was it, they said that any updates or letters would have either a neutral effect on our application or even a negative effect on our application, but not a positive one.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh my gosh, I’m still in shock, but I got the call tonight at about 6:30 pm 🙌🏻 My official acceptance call is scheduled with the Dean for this coming Tuesday. I’m gonna be a doctor!!

For anybody curious, I interviewed on 1/22. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Has anyone else heard anything? I interviewed 1/15 and haven't gotten any emails and my portal hasn't updated.

Interviewed on 9/21 and same....do you think it's safe to say we are waiting for waitlist to come out?
When I interviewed on 1/22, they told us that there were still at least 3 committee meetings until the waitlist was created, and that everyone who interviewed would be considered in each one until a decision was made, so there are definitely still more chances. Don’t lose hope! One of my best friends was accepted to ESF off the waitlist in the middle of summer and is currently in her third year, so chances are also good there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys how many people who have received an acceptance did the mock interview? and did you think it helped with the actual interview?
I am a reapplicant (first gen, had no clue what I was doing my first cycle) and I did multiple mock interviews this year, including one with the ESF CAMI project. I did really feel like it helped, mostly with insight into what they are looking for in their successful applicants and also how to tell my story in the best way possible, like how to dig even deeper into who you are and why they should accept you. I think the thing I improved on most this year was learning how to sell myself and prove that I would be a valuable asset to their class. I still struggled with the format of the virtual interview, it was a lot different from the panel interviews I’d done in the past, and I wasn’t sure if I did well. The types of questions that my mock interviewer asked me were very similar to the questions that I received in my actual interview, and definitely helped me feel more ready by planning out some prepared responses on specific topics. I highly recommend doing a mock interview with them as well as through other resources, like a pre-med advisor.

Reactions: 1 users
part of the group that interviewed back in September and haven’t heard anything either. Anyone know how many acceptances they have traditionally sent out by this point?

Has anyone else heard anything? I interviewed 1/15 and haven't gotten any emails and my portal hasn't updated.
I also Interviewed 1/15 and haven't heard nothing.
I was also offered 1/22 as a optional interview date so I think DrDurga was in the same group as us.
I am assuming DrDurga was highly ranked since thats the quickest turn around reported in this thread = 3.0 weeks interview ->call.

As a general trend the time between interview date and dean call has been getting quicker and quicker but thats hard to parse from all the outliers in jan (long time between interview->call because of thanksgiving and Christmas)

I was expecting no sooner than this thursday (2/18) to hear back so I would still hang in there. I wonder if the other poster (drswithboarders) relinquishing their acceptance has something to do with it too? Can only speculate, that is what SDN is all about, right? Anxious uninformed speculation :)
I presume you can either get accepted outright, or accepted later, SUC, waitlist, or rejected based on their rankings of each group of interviewers and they will move from top to bottom on the rankings and allocate based on spots remaining.
I do remember them saying "if we dont get to you the first time around hang in there because we will next time around"

I also Interviewed 1/15 and haven't heard nothing.
I was also offered 1/22 as a optional interview date so I think DrDurga was in the same group as us.
I am assuming DrDurga was highly ranked since thats the quickest turn around reported in this thread = 3.0 weeks interview ->call.

As a general trend the time between interview date and dean call has been getting quicker and quicker but thats hard to parse from all the outliers in jan (long time between interview->call because of thanksgiving and Christmas)

I was expecting no sooner than this thursday (2/18) to hear back so I would still hang in there. I wonder if the other poster (drswithboarders) relinquishing their acceptance has something to do with it too? Can only speculate, that is what SDN is all about, right? Anxious uninformed speculation :)
I presume you can either get accepted outright, or accepted later, SUC, waitlist, or rejected based on their rankings of each group of interviewers and they will move from top to bottom on the rankings and allocate based on spots remaining.
I do remember them saying "if we dont get to you the first time around hang in there because we will next time around"
I'm so eager to hear back. I do have an acceptance at PNWU that I have to pay a deposit for by late next week if I don't get an acceptance here. I know that I'm in a good place and I would love to attend either school but I just want an answer. Lol. And it's crazy to hear that some people who interviewed months from now never heard back. Not even being told that they're on the waitlist.

part of the group that interviewed back in September and haven’t heard anything either. Anyone know how many acceptances they have traditionally sent out by this point?
Did they not tell you anything? No waitlist or still under consideration? Just silence?

I'm so eager to hear back. I do have an acceptance at PNWU that I have to pay a deposit for by late next week if I don't get an acceptance here. I know that I'm in a good place and I would love to attend either school but I just want an answer. Lol. And it's crazy to hear that some people who interviewed months from now never heard back. Not even being told that they're on the waitlist.

+1

I am grateful to have any acceptances but I don't have $1k just laying around (or in the bank).

+1

I am grateful to have any acceptances but I don't have $1k just laying around (or in the bank).
I wish I could be like "heyyyy remember that $1k I gave you for me? Use it for motherofdragonflies instead"

But I guess I hope they like their donation :(

The waiting is honestly the hardest part of this process. I applied pretty late and this is my first acceptance, and I didn't receive any my first round of applying. It was really disheartening at first, but if anything it made me want it even more.

I had my call with the Dean today and hearing the words "you're accepted" was incredible. When we've worked for something for this long and finally get here, it feels unreal. Dreams really do come true :soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
For everyone still waiting to hear back, this is the information they sent me in mid-January:

"I know this waiting process is very difficult! As an update, we will be making offers of acceptance this month, in February, and in March to fill the initial 80 seats. Currently, the class is less than 50% full. We will not fill all of these seats until all of you have been interviewed and reviewed by the Admissions Committee. In mid-March, we will then form our waitlist."

For everyone still waiting to hear back, this is the information they sent me in mid-January:

"I know this waiting process is very difficult! As an update, we will be making offers of acceptance this month, in February, and in March to fill the initial 80 seats. Currently, the class is less than 50% full. We will not fill all of these seats until all of you have been interviewed and reviewed by the Admissions Committee. In mid-March, we will then form our waitlist."
Thank you so much for the info. It sounds like I'll be waiting for a while longer so it's time to be patient. Others, definitely post your updates with your interview dates so we can keep up with approximate timelines :)

Interviewed 12/7 and still haven't heard anything. Come on WSU, I showed you my FAFSA pls answer :/

• Care
Got the email today telling me they haven't forgotten about me lol
Interview 10/12 and waiting to hear back!

Got the email today telling me they haven't forgotten about me lol
Interview 10/12 and waiting to hear back!
what I understood from the email is we are most likely to get a call on 3/4, 3/5 or 3/11, 3/12 if we made it or not ("two rounds of small acceptances will be sent out early march")
and then the waitlist will be made.
I guess I can stop staring at the phone I bought just to maybe get this call for a few weeks lol