2021-2022 Florida State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this the only school that hasn’t sent a secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Please limit your answers to 500 words per quuestion.

Please provide a description of your family. Optional

0/9999

Please provide a description of where you grew up (i.e. rural area, large city, etc.) Optional

0/9999

Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.). Optional

0/9999

What is a unique trait, experience, or interest that we would not normally learn about you? Optional

0/9999

If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you are comfortable voluntarily sharing with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. Optional

0/9999

B. Academic Background and Pre-Medical Course Requirements

Choose the appropriate response for each required prerequisite. As a reminder: All prerequisites must be completed with a “C” or better and BEFORE matriculating at the FSU COM.

English (or other writing intensive course): 6 credit hours

Completed with a "C" or better

In Progress

College Mathematics (Statistics is recommended): 6 credit hours

In Progress

Biology with Lab: 8 credit hours

In Progress

Organic Chemistry with Lab: 4 credit hours

In Progress

Physics with Lab: 8 credit hours

In Progress

Biochemistry (MUST require at least one Organic Chemistry course as a pre-requisite; lab is recommended): 3 credit hours

In Progress

Please enter your ACT and or SAT scores if you have taken these exams. Optional

0/100

Have you previously attended FSU or applied for admission? (Not to the College of Medicine) Optional

Yes

No

C. Self-Critical Analysis

Please limit your answer to 500 words per question.

Why are you choosing to apply to the FSU College of Medicine? Please be specific describing what is particularly attractive about FSU COM.

0/9999

What do you feel are your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine? Optional

0/9999

How do you feel you will contribute to the success of the FSU College of Medicine and our unique mission? Optional

0/9999

If you have previously interviewed or applied to the College of Medicine, what steps have you taken to improve your application? Optional

0/9999

D. Additional Questions

Please answer the following additional questions.

In what field/specialty of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now? Please list no more than three (3) specialties.

0/500

Write a short statement describing how you envision using the specialty/ies you listed above to advance our mission.

0/9999

COVID-19: The Admissions Committee understands that the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted applicants in various ways. If you wish to inform the committee as to how these events have affected you and have not already done so elsewhere in your application, please use this space to do so. Optional

0/9999

E. Florida Residency

The Florida State University College of Medicine accepts very few out-of-state applicants. Except under rare circumstances, out of state applicants are considered for admission only if their county of residence is geographically contiguous with the State of Florida, or if they can demonstrate significant ties to the State of Florida.

Is Florida currently your legal State of residence?

Yes

No

Has it ever been your legal state of residence?

Yes

No

N/A-Answered "yes" to previous question

If "yes", please briefly explain: Optional

0/200

If you have never been a Florida resident or are not currently residing in Florida (answered “no” to both questions above), please briefly describe any significant ties that you have to the State of Florida (Examples of significant ties include- but are not limited to- attending college within Florida; having strong family ties to Florida, owning property in Florida, etc.) Optional

0/200

Please limit your answers to 500 words per quuestion.

Please provide a description of your family. Optional

0/9999

Please provide a description of where you grew up (i.e. rural area, large city, etc.) Optional

0/9999

Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.). Optional

0/9999

What is a unique trait, experience, or interest that we would not normally learn about you? Optional

0/9999

If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you are comfortable voluntarily sharing with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. Optional

0/9999

B. Academic Background and Pre-Medical Course Requirements

Choose the appropriate response for each required prerequisite. As a reminder: All prerequisites must be completed with a “C” or better and BEFORE matriculating at the FSU COM.

English (or other writing intensive course): 6 credit hours

In Progress

College Mathematics (Statistics is recommended): 6 credit hours

In Progress

Biology with Lab: 8 credit hours

In Progress

Organic Chemistry with Lab: 4 credit hours

In Progress

Physics with Lab: 8 credit hours

In Progress

Biochemistry (MUST require at least one Organic Chemistry course as a pre-requisite; lab is recommended): 3 credit hours

In Progress

Please enter your ACT and or SAT scores if you have taken these exams. Optional

0/100

Have you previously attended FSU or applied for admission? (Not to the College of Medicine) Optional

Yes

No

C. Self-Critical Analysis

Please limit your answer to 500 words per question.

Why are you choosing to apply to the FSU College of Medicine? Please be specific describing what is particularly attractive about FSU COM.

0/9999

What do you feel are your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine? Optional

0/9999

How do you feel you will contribute to the success of the FSU College of Medicine and our unique mission? Optional

0/9999

If you have previously interviewed or applied to the College of Medicine, what steps have you taken to improve your application? Optional

0/9999

D. Additional Questions

Please answer the following additional questions.

In what field/specialty of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now? Please list no more than three (3) specialties.

0/500

Write a short statement describing how you envision using the specialty/ies you listed above to advance our mission.

0/9999

COVID-19: The Admissions Committee understands that the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted applicants in various ways. If you wish to inform the committee as to how these events have affected you and have not already done so elsewhere in your application, please use this space to do so. Optional

0/9999

E. Florida Residency

The Florida State University College of Medicine accepts very few out-of-state applicants. Except under rare circumstances, out of state applicants are considered for admission only if their county of residence is geographically contiguous with the State of Florida, or if they can demonstrate significant ties to the State of Florida.

Is Florida currently your legal State of residence?

Yes

No

Has it ever been your legal state of residence?

Yes

No

N/A-Answered "yes" to previous question

If "yes", please briefly explain: Optional

0/200

If you have never been a Florida resident or are not currently residing in Florida (answered “no” to both questions above), please briefly describe any significant ties that you have to the State of Florida (Examples of significant ties include- but are not limited to- attending college within Florida; having strong family ties to Florida, owning property in Florida, etc.) Optional

0/200
Your username is very much indeed most spectacularly a vibe lol

Reactions: 2 users
Your username is very much indeed most spectacularly a vibe lol
I am an early decision applicant with stats that are a decent bit above FSU's average (3.8, 512), but I want to stay here (went here undergrad). I've been dating my girlfriend for 6 years and she is applying for her PhD here. My middle brother went here so I have a decent understanding of the learning environment at FSU. and I want to be a community centered doctor, not some gunner trying to be on the face of magazines, so i think FSU and I vibe very well. Sorry if i am coming off very "presentative" just finished writing half of my secondary lol

Reactions: 1 user
thank you! I prewrote last year's essays, so it looks like I will have to change some. FSU is the dream so its okay
Yeah, some are similar and I think there's like one completely new question but that's not too difficult

Yeah, some are similar and I think there's like one completely new question but that's not too difficult
Yeah maybe the change in essays is why they took a little bit to send them out

Just to provide some of my experiences to people here, im trying to come off as genuinely me, so what i mean about that is if i feel i answered a question fully and genuinely and its 350 words, i wont add another 150 words of crap, its not myself. I want to come thru in the interview as i presented myself in my secondary, not use a thesaurus to sound as smart as possible. with that being said, when talking about my family and where i grew up, those prompts were anywhere from 350-400 words, respectively. The covid essay i wrote 700 and had to trim to 499, the specialty essay i wrote was like 600 and had to trim it down. and the applying specialty to the COM mission statement was about 400. I have 5 (I think?) essays left and will probably finish them tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received IS. I passed the screen someone woooooooo

there's a screen?
Fsu publishes on their website that as a general rule they do not accept applicants with a GPA below 3.3 and an MCAT below 498, but they will account for extenuating circumstances. I imagine if you apply with scores below this threshold without a proper reason, you won't be given a secondary.

Last edited:
Fsu publishes on their website that as a general rule they do not accept applicants with a GPA below 3.3 and an MCAT below 498, but they will account for extenuating circumstances. I imagine if you apply with scores below this threshold with a proper reason, you won't be given a secondary.
Thanks for answering this I’m at work !!

my gpa is below a 3.3 but I had extenuating circumstances so hopefully that means good news for me!

This school has too many secondary essays.

Hey all,

I had a question - so I am OOS but due to some circumstances from covid my family is actually going to be moving to Florida and remaining in Florida permanently annd thus I'm applying to Florida schools so I can try to be with them. Im wondering if I should apply here even though they favor in state heavy. Should I call and ask maybe?

Hey all,

I had a question - so I am OOS but due to some circumstances from covid my family is actually going to be moving to Florida and remaining in Florida permanently annd thus I'm applying to Florida schools so I can try to be with them. Im wondering if I should apply here even though they favor in state heavy. Should I call and ask maybe?
Definitely call and ask, first and foremost, you'll never reach the end if you don't take the first step. HOWEVER, FSU has consistently demonstrated rigidity when it comes to accepting oos students. The matriculation class of 2019 was 120 students and 118 were IS. They will make exceptions (they've defined this to be less than 10 seats a year) where they will allow spots to those who have demonstrated significant ties to Florida, whether that be academic, familial, or cultural. With that being said, I say go for it, the secondary application is only 30 dollars.

Definitely call and ask, first and foremost, you'll never reach the end if you don't take the first step. HOWEVER, FSU has consistently demonstrated rigidity when it comes to accepting oos students. The matriculation class of 2019 was 120 students and 118 were IS. They will make exceptions (they've defined this to be less than 10 seats a year) where they will allow spots to those who have demonstrated significant ties to Florida, whether that be academic, familial, or cultural. With that being said, I say go for it, the secondary application is only 30 dollars.

Thank you!

I think it has like 11 or 12 questions iirc. A lot of them are really easy and you should just answer as if you were responding to someone, eg. asking about your family.
Are you trying to get close to the 500 word limit for the beginning questions

Nah, I wrote like 350 for my family and around 400 for my hometown. I maxed out covid and specialties ones and had to trim.

It was draining, but I finally got around to churning out the essays for this school.

Does anyone know when we will get an email to pay for the secondary?

Just to provide some of my experiences to people here, im trying to come off as genuinely me, so what i mean about that is if i feel i answered a question fully and genuinely and its 350 words, i wont add another 150 words of crap, its not myself. I want to come thru in the interview as i presented myself in my secondary, not use a thesaurus to sound as smart as possible. with that being said, when talking about my family and where i grew up, those prompts were anywhere from 350-400 words, respectively. The covid essay i wrote 700 and had to trim to 499, the specialty essay i wrote was like 600 and had to trim it down. and the applying specialty to the COM mission statement was about 400. I have 5 (I think?) essays left and will probably finish them tomorrow.
How did you come up with 350 words for this question "Please provide a description of where you grew up (i.e. rural area, large city, etc.)"? I only have 33 words :)

Reactions: 3 users
How did you come up with 350 words for this question "Please provide a description of where you grew up (i.e. rural area, large city, etc.)"? I only have 33 words :)
I think I described the feel of the city as well and the way that my experiences in the city shaped my journey to becoming a doctor. How did the city change over time? Did that change how you grew? My city doubled in population size over the 18 years I was there pre-college, that definitely had an effect. This is a school that really values "community," so what you can do to show that in your past experiences at home you had a community that you valued would be best.

Reactions: 2 users
I got a complete email today

Complete as in you paid already or compete as in they received your secondary
They received my secondary. In the email they said it'll take up to 7 business days for the payment email.

Just got the email to pay, was complete 7/27.