2021-2022 Mayo Clinic, Rochester (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For ppl with IIs did you get an email or was it through portal?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you only get IIs from one?
Or is it possible to get two
It's one school. You get one interview. As you might recall, you rank the campuses and are considered for any campus you ranked, and could very well be interviewed by one and accepted by another.

It's one school. You get one interview. As you might recall, you rank the campuses and are considered for any campus you ranked, and could very well be interviewed by one and accepted by another.
wait lol sorry but this confused me, you said "you get one interview" but you could be "interviewed by one and (preumably interviewed separately and) accepted by another," so which is it?

Reactions: 1 user
wait lol sorry but this confused me, you said "you get one interview" but you could be "interviewed by one and (preumably interviewed separately and) accepted by another," so which is it?
The part you presumed is incorrect. It said clearly you only get one interview for all campuses on the secondary.

No separate interview. Again, it's one school. You get one interview, but are considered by all the campuses you rank, in the order you rank them. You won't receive more than one acceptance, but it might not be at the campus you interviewed with.

Oh they used to have separate applications for arizona and rochester. I’m pretty sure I got Rs from both previously so I thought there might be two committees

Oh they used to have separate applications for arizona and rochester. I’m pretty sure I got Rs from both previously so I thought there might be two committees
I have no doubt they have separate committees, but it's still one application with one potential interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
FL II JUST NOW!!! Can someone who has registered for the interview week confirm with me that we are unable to see the selected week until we input our times?... Or do we have to uplaod photo first?

FL II JUST NOW!!! Can someone who has registered for the interview week confirm with me that we are unable to see the selected week until we input our times?... Or do we have to uplaod photo first?
congrats!! :) you need to upload your photo first

• Love
MN/FL II received! Complete 8/8. 52X MCAT, 3.9X sGPA and cGPA. URM.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
I’m gonna drop some inside advice I got from someone previously on the admin committee now that I see people getting IIs. WRITE A THANK YOU LETTER AFTER YOUR INTERVIEW. Apparently (and this is their words, not mine) they won’t accept someone if they don’t send a thank you letter - I know, sounds crazy, but you should be doing this anyway because I’m sure you are thankful for their time and you should express that!

I’m not planning on applying here, but good luck to everyone who is!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I’m gonna drop some inside advice I got from someone previously on the admin committee now that I see people getting IIs. WRITE A THANK YOU LETTER AFTER YOUR II. Apparently (and this is their words, not mine) they won’t accept someone if they don’t send a thank you letter - I know, sounds crazy, but you should be doing this anyway because I’m sure you are thankful for their time and you should express that!

Just to clarify, a thank you note after receiving an II, or after the interview?

Current 1st year MSTP student here. SDN helped me out a lot when I was deciding which school & I’d like to continue that for incoming students. Please feel free to DM if you’re interested in the MD/PhD at mayo

Reactions: 2 users
I’m gonna drop some inside advice I got from someone previously on the admin committee now that I see people getting IIs. WRITE A THANK YOU LETTER AFTER YOUR INTERVIEW. Apparently (and this is their words, not mine) they won’t accept someone if they don’t send a thank you letter - I know, sounds crazy, but you should be doing this anyway because I’m sure you are thankful for their time and you should express that!

Do you mean a physical letter or email is seen the same as well?

They didn’t specify, but some schools do on their website. I just had my first interview Monday and wrote a thank you to the admissions committee via email and another to a specific interviewer via a hand written letter. I don’t think it matters as much as the substance of the letter, which should be thoughtful and specific to your experience.

Oh, but if you have super bad handwriting like me -- I recommend the app Punkpost that will handwrite beautiful letters for you and send them for $5-7 and they won't indicate you didn't write it yourself. I know it may seem a bit deceiving, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do and the intentions are still there.

Last edited:
Do you mean a physical letter or email is seen the same as well?
I typed out a letter, converted it to PDF, added a signature, and handwritten signature, and uploaded it onto the portal! Seemed to work just fine.

"MCAT blind through interviews" yet has nearly the highest MCAT average on the tracker and nearly highest proportion of 520+. Lol.

Reactions: 3 users
"MCAT blind through interviews" yet has nearly the highest MCAT average on the tracker and nearly highest proportion of 520+. Lol.
Lmao I think they have the highest MCAT secondary screen in the country

Lmao I think they have the highest MCAT secondary screen in the country
Ergo, "MCAT blind through interviews" means squat.

Edit: even then, highest means what. 512? Still doesn't explain the insanity on the tracker.

Ergo, "MCAT blind through interviews" means squat.

Edit: even then, highest means what. 512? Still doesn't explain the insanity on the tracker.
Website lists the secondary screen cut-off as a 508

Website lists the secondary screen cut-off as a 508
That's not that high. UCLA is 512. I'm thinking they're just not "MCAT blind" at all. Like if they were, then we wouldn't see the similar pattern of URM/high stat early, which is exactly what we are seeing lmao. They aren't even trying to hide it.

That's not that high. UCLA is 512. I'm thinking they're just not "MCAT blind" at all. Like if they were, then we wouldn't see the similar pattern of URM/high stat early, which is exactly what we are seeing lmao. They aren't even trying to hide it.
TBH, I don't see anything on their website or MSAR that suggests they are MCAT blind at any stage of their process. Exactly where is this coming from?

They are very well known stat w**res, so you are very likely correct, but this shouldn't be a big shock. This is just another example of bad information being passed around through repetition, both here and on reddit, to the point where it becomes accepted as fact.

In fact, this is a quote from their statement on MSAR:

"Upon receipt of the secondary application, secondary fee, and the minimum required letters, applications are comprehensively and holistically reviewed, that includes: applicant's GPA and MCAT, scholarly activity, experiential depth and breadth, essays, and letters."

Just what part of that suggests an MCAT blind interview selection process? :cool:

Reactions: 3 users
The UCLA cut-off is not valid. I know of individuals from last cycle that were accepted with lower than cut-off

The UCLA cut-off is not valid. I know of individuals from last cycle that were accepted with lower than cut-off
I have definitely heard of this MCAT "cut-off" being a thing, but also know multiple students accepted/sent secondaries with lower than cut-off. Not sure if they just put you into manual review if you don't meet the cut-off?

Yea they need to keep their MSAR/US-News looking good; watch "wholly MCAT-blind" UCSF have a 518 average next year haha.

Yea they need to keep their MSAR/US-News looking good; watch "wholly MCAT-blind" UCSF have a 518 average next year haha.
You know what they say about lies, damn lies, and statistics, don't you? So, I'd be careful with that. UCSF is going to be one of the best, most difficult schools in the country to be admitted to, regardless of whether or not they look at the MCAT.

As a result, they're going to attract the very best applicants in the country, many of whom are going to have great MCAT scores, even if they aren't considered. Consequently, their average or median isn't really going to tell you anything. OTOH, their 10%-ile will. THAT will tell you whether or not they are actually admitting otherwise outstanding candidates with crappy MCAT scores (since they aren't being considered) or whether their statement is PR BS.

Last edited:
You know what they say about lies, damn lies, and statistics, don't you? So, I'd be careful with that. UCSF is going to be one of the best, most difficult schools in the country to be admitted to, regardless of whether or not they look at the MCAT.

As a result, it's going to attract the very best applicants in the country, many of whom are going to have great MCAT scores, even if they aren't considered. Consequently, their average or median isn't really going to tell you anything. OTOH, their 10%-ile will. THAT will tell you whether or not they are actually admitting otherwise outstanding candidates with crappy MCAT scores (since they aren't being considered) or whether their statement is PR BS.
Sure, I got a high MCAT myself but would think very highly of one with a 3.x, 50x, but first author pubs in PubMed, military officer, etc.

Sure, I got a high MCAT myself but would think very highly of one with a 3.x, 50x, but first author pubs in PubMed, military officer, etc.
Exactly, and that's what they are going for with their policy. But just consider how few candidates like that are out there. Many more people with those achievements also have 3.9+/520+. This is why their averages or medians are unlikely to move, while their 10%-ile might.

Already, consider that Mayo's median is 520 and its 10%-ile is 512 while UCSF's median is 518 while its 10%-ile is also 512. UCSF just doesn't focus on stats as much as some of its peers, but, at the bottom of their accepted pool, there just isn't a lot of room for people with MCATs below the 85%-ile (512), given how competitive the pool is.

Now, if you eliminate MCAT as a factor, it's unlikely UCSF's median will drop too far below 518, regardless of their MCAT policy, just due to the general caliber of their applicants. OTOH, if they really don't look at MCATs, it's reasonable to expect more people like you describe to be able to break through, and that should drop their 10%-ile by a few points, no?

TBH, I don't see anything on their website or MSAR that suggests they are MCAT blind at any stage of their process. Exactly where is this coming from?
Lmao, thanks for the clarification if true. I remember seeing a comment on here and I even replied to it asking if this was true and people seemed to agree...hahaha

has anybody gotten confirmation of what day/time their interview will be? got my II for the Arizona track on Aug 16

has anybody gotten confirmation of what day/time their interview will be? got my II for the Arizona track on Aug 16
I could schedule mine in the portal and am scheduled/confirmed for 9/24. Haven't given me the exact time yet tho. II was on the 16th for minnesota

Sorry for the lazy question, but what do you guys think are some of the most unique aspects of Mayo? I tried to draft a secondary based on information I found in their website and literally the feedback was that my secondary was such generic trash that it could be applicable to literally any research heavy school.

II Minnesota track. OOS, Complete 7/31.

Shocked to just get an II here!