2021-2022 Pennsylvania State

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A hold is better than an R right? Whats a hold actually mean?
yes, a hold means you are still in the running for an II! from what i understand, it basically means that the adcom looked at your application and decided not to extend an invite at this time, but will come back to your application and continue to compare you to the current applicant pool for future II decisions... of course this could end in an eventual R later, but for now there is still hope!!
 
yes, a hold means you are still in the running for an II! from what i understand, it basically means that the adcom looked at your application and decided not to extend an invite at this time, but will come back to your application and continue to compare you to the current applicant pool for future II decisions... of course this could end in an eventual R later, but for now there is still hope!!
Here's hoping! Although it wasn't the news I was hoping for, compared to my first cycle (before my SMP) this was a 1-month turnaround to this decision compared to almost 6 months of waiting to hear that I was on hold.
 
Does anyone know if late September interviewees (9/29) will even hear back in November? I was going through threads from the past five years and it has been pretty inconsistent so I feel like if I have to wait another month, I might as well go back to avoiding these nerve-racking thoughts
 
Because in previous years decisions have consistently been sent out on Fridays
Not quite. Going back to last cycle it was Friday, November 5th, the cycle before that it was Friday, November 1st, and the cycle before that one it was Thursday, November 1st. Seems like it could possibly be mostly Fridays, mostly November 1st, or in general the first week of November. I guess we won't know until someone gets a decision!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looked through past years' threads to see the date/day of the first two waves of decisions. The 2020-21 cycle was affected by COVID so I wouldn't use that. It seems @mextel hit the nail right on the head. I'm expecting to potentially hear back Thursday or Friday this week (late Sept. interview).

*2020-21:
Dec 2 (Wed)
Jan 5 (Tues)


2019-20:
Nov 1 (Fri)
Dec 6 (Fri)


2018-19:
Nov 1 (Thurs)
Nov 30 (Fri)


2017-18:
Nov 2 (Thurs)
Dec 1 (Fri)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same here, silence since early September. My app was actual trash last cycle, but I still made it to January before getting a hold. People who must have had way better apps got held or rejected earlier than I did, so I doubt competitiveness plays a major role in the timing of their response.

In other words, trying to predict when we will hear back is gonna drive us crazy 🤡
 
Last edited:
Same here, silence since early September. My app was actual trash last cycle, but I still made it to January before getting a hold. People who must have had way better apps got held or rejected earlier than I did, so I doubt competitiveness plays a major role in the timing of the response.

In other words, trying to predict when we will hear back is gonna drive us crazy 🤡
^^^same.. also got a hold in January last year. nothing from PSU so far this year...
 
Are ya'll getting notified by email that you've been put on hold, or just checking the portal?
OOS, submitted 8/5, silence thus far
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad