2021-2022 SUNY, Downstate (Brooklyn)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed in early December, and he said I was right on the line with whether or not I would hear back in the first batch (released at the end of Feb). I guess the adcom is so big and the meetings so long they just do them in a couple of big batches. I believe he said if I didn't make it into the first batch, the next batch hears back in April.

And it's not just Downstate obviously. I know the # of apps each school gets is ridiculous, but I wish the AAMC would just force everyone to move their timeline up a bit. Even just a month or two. It's still insane to me that two application cycles overlap — schools are still working through waitlists when they receive the next year's applications. I'm not expecting to hear from my remaining schools until late April/early May at the earliest. Even then, most schools give those taken off a waitlist about a week to respond, so each time, it's another week until the next batch hears.

Can I get a breakdown of how schools spend their $125 x 10,000 = 1.25 million in application money pls? (AMCAS surely takes a cut, but still)
I interviewed in early Nov. and I haven't heard anything. I don't think they actually divided up the apps entirely by interview date. :/

I agree the med school app process is a scam.
 
I think for acceptances they do is what they meant
If they divided up acceptances by interview date and OP said they were told they were on the border in Dec, then I should have heard back by now. Unless you're saying anybody who interviewed before Dec and hasn't heard anything is rejected/waitlisted?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If they divided up acceptances by interview date and OP said they were told they were on the border in Dec, then I should have heard back by now. Unless you're saying anybody who interviewed before Dec and hasn't heard anything is rejected/waitlisted?
Unfortunately that might be the case all speculation of course
 
Unfortunately that might be the case all speculation of course
I don't know if I agree with that. I'd like to hope that they'd actually reject/waitlist people if they made that decision and not keep us waiting an extra three months for ****s and giggles.

I'm hoping that they're just slow, not evaluating apps in order, and not maliciously trying to keep decisions from us.
 
I interviewed in early Nov. and I haven't heard anything. I don't think they actually divided up the apps entirely by interview date. :/

I agree the med school app process is a scam.
Ah, good to know! I forgot to mention, he said it depended on how long it takes for the faculty and student interviewers to get their notes and summary to the adcom, so that might affect it as well :/

Hope you hear back soon!!
 
I think for acceptances they do is what they meant
Yeah I actually didn't realize this when I was answering, but I think it might be true for just the initial round of acceptances since I didn't see anyone mention post-II R's the day those A's were released (I can't recall for certain, but I only remember A's)

EDIT: that said, I definitely do not think earlier interviewers who didn't hear back in Feb are automatic R's/W's. Reddit is not representative of course, but this is a big school and only a few people posted A's.
 
Anyone who has gotten their financial aid package back yet willing to dm me and share how aid is? Debating if I should interview here or not. Would only take the A for ample aid honestly, so would prefer to let someone else have the interview if I’m chasing an aid package that doesn’t really exist here.

Thanks!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone who has gotten their financial aid package back yet willing to dm me and share how aid is? Debating if I should interview here or not. Would only take the A for ample aid honestly, so would prefer to let someone else have the interview if I’m chasing an aid package that doesn’t really exist here.

Thanks!!
All indications (from information sessions, this thread, etc.) are that there is essentially no grant/scholarship aid at this school.
 
Two questions: is the interview open file? and can I send an additional LOR to the school via AMCAS? I originally submitted a committee letter.

Thanks in advance!
It is definitely open file. They picked apart my application and brought up the tiniest details lol.
Idk about the LOR though. From my understanding, schools only accept either all individual letters OR one committee letter, but you should call and ask 🙂
 
It is definitely open file. They picked apart my application and brought up the tiniest details lol.
Idk about the LOR though. From my understanding, schools only accept either all individual letters OR one committee letter, but you should call and ask 🙂
They tore me apart! I have no idea how to feel after the interview because they perseverated on a few tiny details (ex. scores, hometown) that I could really not do too much about. But then again we went over by almost 45 minutes and some parts felt really good!
 
They tore me apart! I have no idea how to feel after the interview because they perseverated on a few tiny details (ex. scores, hometown) that I could really not do too much about. But then again we went over by almost 45 minutes and some parts felt really good!
Same with me! With classes I took and such small details of my life. They told me it was gonna be 30 min and it ended up being 2 hours 🫠
 
All indications (from information sessions, this thread, etc.) are that there is essentially no grant/scholarship aid at this school.
Lol just did some scrolling through last years thread and same reports. Loan loans loans.

If anyone has had a different experience w financial aid lmk! If not I’ll withdraw in the next couple days or so and spread that II love
 
Fingers crossed, they are just trying to shake us and see if we crack. They wouldn't interview us if these little details were catastrophic to our chances.
I think there’s certain things admissions makes them ask bc at the beginning of mine he said there’s no skeletons in the closet that I need to ask you about then he said usually admissions has red flags they want me to ask about
 
Interviewed last Monday, was told to look out for a student reaching out to have a phone/video call within 5 calendar days. Never hear anything, reached out to admissions, hasn't gotten back. How long did u guys have to wait for a student to reach out?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed last Monday, was told to look out for a student reaching out to have a phone/video call within 5 calendar days. Never hear anything, reached out to admissions, hasn't gotten back. How long did u guys have to wait for a student to reach out?
Same, interviewed last Monday and total silence
 
Interviewed last Monday, was told to look out for a student reaching out to have a phone/video call within 5 calendar days. Never hear anything, reached out to admissions, hasn't gotten back. How long did u guys have to wait for a student to reach out?
I also reached out after 5 business days. They replied pretty quickly and informed me that this week is a big exam week. The student reached out to me later that day (Monday).
 
Downstate: Hey, please confirm if you're still interested in an interview with us
Me: Yes I am interested
Downstate: Great! We regret to inform you we cannot offer you an interview 🙂

This has been such a meme I'm not even upset
THIS HAPPENED TO MEEEEE

pre II R yesterday. Sorry downstate thread! Wish I had better news to share. Good luck to everyone still in the running!
 
So if you applied MD/MPH, you get two decisions? I already received an MPH acceptance but haven't heard from the school of medicine yet. Also, is there still a chance to get accepted into the MD program too, or are they just about done with sending interview invites?
 
So if you applied MD/MPH, you get two decisions? I already received an MPH acceptance but haven't heard from the school of medicine yet. Also, is there still a chance to get accepted into the MD program too, or are they just about done with sending interview invites?
yes- 2 decisions. One seems to have little to do with the other, and yes! II's go out until end of April. Who knows how they treat their late interviewees, good luck!!
 
Update: after emailing the office that I received no student correspondence, I got an email for my student interview a few hours later
 
First-year IM resident here, I will be starting in Brooklyn on July 1st. Does anyone want a roommate? There is no incoming IM resident group to connect with.
 
Hey all,

for accepted students is there anything we are supposed to have done/be doing currently besides accepting offer on the portal and applying to FAFSA. I paid the deposit and got confirmation but then it like disappeared from the portal haha. They've sent a bunch of emails with different information but on the site is says basically to do nothing until April 15th when we pay deposit:


Sorry if this is the wrong page for this. If there is a better spot for this lmk.

Thanks everyone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

for accepted students is there anything we are supposed to have done/be doing currently besides accepting offer on the portal and applying to FAFSA. I paid the deposit and got confirmation but then it like disappeared from the portal haha. They've sent a bunch of emails with different information but on the site is says basically to do nothing until April 15th when we pay deposit:


Sorry if this is the wrong page for this. If there is a better spot for this lmk.

Thanks everyone.
I don't think so! Or at least I hope not haha

I emailed them a few days ago asking if there was anything else and they just said the "Choose Your Med School" thing via AMCAS. However, I don't think that needs to be touched until at least April 15th, and even then, that's only if you're still holding more than 3 acceptances at that point. (I think you have until the end of April/beginning of May to select just 1 school if you're still deciding, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

And I think the only emails I've gotten from them were with login info for their other portals (like medicat or whatever), and I never got very far with that.
 
For those of us who still haven't heard back from Downstate - do we just plan to enroll at another school and after May 1 treat a Downstate acceptance like a waitlist acceptance?
 
For those of us who still haven't heard back from Downstate - do we just plan to enroll at another school and after May 1 treat a Downstate acceptance like a waitlist acceptance?
Idk maybe I’m being naive but tmrw is one month since last round of As maybe they are on monthly schedule? Who knows but one can hope