2021-2022 SUNY, Downstate (Brooklyn)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone tell me what to expect from the interview? From what I've read, it looks like a 60+ minute, open-file, one-on-one interview with a faculty member. Following that interview, we will be contacted by a student for a ~20-minute chat session.

Seems like I should be prepared to talk in-depth about my application and its deficiencies during the faculty interview. But, overall not super stressful.

Questions:

1. Is the student chat session via zoom or telephone call?
2. Is the student chat session open or closed file? What questions to expect?

If anyone has any advice/input, that would be awesome! Definitely was not expecting this late of an interview; seeing as how I'm currently stuck on 3 WL, I'm grateful for the opportunity to increase my odds of getting an acceptance somewhere!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
man this is absolutely not encouraging to pre-december interviewees. I know every year is different but it seems like a WL might as well just be an R.
At face value, yes it may seem that way but. Most of these early interviewees who did not report A’s just fell of the face of the earth. Maybe they were super successful applicants in general? And/or SUNY assumed from their lack of response/high stats/PTE elsewhere that throwing a ton of A’s that way wouldn’t give good yield?

Do your own deep dive and make figure 2 😆.

For someone like you, maybe it’s good to consider sending an interest/update letter. Seems to be allowed despite what the portal says.
 
At face value, yes it may seem that way but. Most of these early interviewees who did not report A’s just fell of the face of the earth. Maybe they were super successful applicants in general? And/or SUNY assumed from their lack of response/high stats/PTE elsewhere that throwing a ton of A’s that way wouldn’t give good yield?

Do your own deep dive and make figure 2 😆.

For someone like you, maybe it’s good to consider sending an interest/update letter. Seems to be allowed despite what the portal says.
Done one already. Sending another soon. I don't think annoying the adcoms into accepting me will work, but might as well try! /s
 
Done one already. Sending another soon. I don't think annoying the adcoms into accepting me will work, but might as well try! /s
Just for a confirmation on this... can we send letters of interest/intent post-interview? Would that letter have more impact if it were sent after being potentially put on the WL?
 
Just for a confirmation on this... can we send letters of interest/intent post-interview? Would that letter have more impact if it were sent after being potentially put on the WL?
Yes, I emailed them a while ago and they said we can send letters post interview either through the portal or by emailing it to them. FWIW, I interviewed in September and sent a letter of intent in January and i still didn't hear back yet.
 
Can anyone tell me what to expect from the interview? From what I've read, it looks like a 60+ minute, open-file, one-on-one interview with a faculty member. Following that interview, we will be contacted by a student for a ~20-minute chat session.

Seems like I should be prepared to talk in-depth about my application and its deficiencies during the faculty interview. But, overall not super stressful.

Questions:

1. Is the student chat session via zoom or telephone call?
2. Is the student chat session open or closed file? What questions to expect?

If anyone has any advice/input, that would be awesome! Definitely was not expecting this late of an interview; seeing as how I'm currently stuck on 3 WL, I'm grateful for the opportunity to increase my odds of getting an acceptance somewhere!
Sounds about right! The student chat will probably be over the phone, and it's closed file with questions surrounding your character's motivation, desire to serve, etc. I think the prep you do for the faculty interview should be more than adequate for the student interview!

Good luck!
 
Sounds about right! The student chat will probably be over the phone, and it's closed file with questions surrounding your character's motivation, desire to serve, etc. I think the prep you do for the faculty interview should be more than adequate for the student interview!

Good luck!
What about this free response essay? What's the deal there? Haven't written a timed free response since the ACT.
 
What about this free response essay? What's the deal there? Haven't written a timed free response since the ACT.
Ahahahaha, it's nothing too deep, and it supposedly has no bearing on your admission if I'm remembering the email correctly. You get a prompt of some kind, and then write a paragraph about it. Totally doable, and probably won't take you more than a half hour.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to those still waiting to hear! I'm a rising 3rd year student. If anyone would like to get a head start on housing LMK, my MD/PhD roommate and I are looking for a roommate. Room comes with free advice from current Downstate students, DM me or message on discord (Userbrn#3227) for more info and I can send you the FB marketplace link and some photos

Also, regardless of that, if anyone wants to chat or ask me questions about the school just hit me up via DM or message me on discord (Userbrn#3227).
 
It has been about 4 days since my interview and I have not heard from the student interviewer. Should I reach out to admissions and ask or continue to wait? I'm just worried because I was told to complete this within 7 days of my interview. Thanks!
 
It has been about 4 days since my interview and I have not heard from the student interviewer. Should I reach out to admissions and ask or continue to wait? I'm just worried because I was told to complete this within 7 days of my interview. Thanks!
yeah just email admissions and you'll get a response. It usually takes a long time lmao, but nonetheless email them. GL!
 
For those of you who wrote letters of intent or anything like that, who did you make them out to? a specific person or just the school as a whole?
 
Just received an interview invite after being complete 9/4 and hearing absolutely nothing until now. There's hope!
Note: I did apply to the MD/MPH and was accepted to the MPH on 3/2/22, but heard nothing about med admits until today
 
Does anyone know when the next round of acceptances/rejections will be released? I interviewed back in Jan and would like to know if I can completely not count on this school anymore since some deadlines are approaching
 
Does anyone know when the next round of acceptances/rejections will be released? I interviewed back in Jan and would like to know if I can completely not count on this school anymore since some deadlines are approaching
They will likely put everyone on the waitlist next week and then pull people off the first couple of weeks of May. See Blurm's post in this thread!
 
gotta drop a 2k non refundable deposit at another school by the 15th, hoping for a miracle (DS decision) but most likely not gonna happen

rip my wallet
 
Just received an interview invite after being complete 9/4 and hearing absolutely nothing until now. There's hope!
Note: I did apply to the MD/MPH and was accepted to the MPH on 3/2/22, but heard nothing about med admits until today
Congratulations!! I was also accepted to the MPH program on 3/2/22, but did not receive an interview invite for their MD program. Did you complete your pre-matric checklist yet or send any recent letters of interest / updates? When did you see available dates for interviews? You must be feeling ecstatic! Congrats again.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else experienced radio silence regarding the peer-to-peer conversation after the interview? I have not been contacted from any student, and it has been 7 days since my virtual interview. I reached out twice to the admissions office, and they said the student would be in touch with me "shortly". I've checked my spam box regularly as well. Hoping this doesn't affect my application too much...
 
Has anyone else experienced radio silence regarding the peer-to-peer conversation after the interview? I have not been contacted from any student, and it has been 7 days since my virtual interview. I reached out twice to the admissions office, and they said the student would be in touch with me "shortly". I've checked my spam box regularly as well. Hoping this doesn't affect my application too much...
it'll happen, dw. They're generally all over the place, just stay close with them and keep bothering them
 
The deposit is open on the portal! It also says:

If you do not submit your deposit by 11:59 pm and also select “Plan to Enroll,” or "Commit to Enroll" your acceptance offer will be withdrawn.​

But there's no date given. (Above it says the deposit is due within 14 days of your acceptance, which is for those accepted so far would have been over a month ago, but I digress). Anyway, I get that they want the deposit by today, but do we have to "Plan to Enroll" by today? Or do we still have until May 2nd? I did try emailing them but haven't heard back yet!
 
The deposit is open on the portal! It also says:

If you do not submit your deposit by 11:59 pm and also select “Plan to Enroll,” or "Commit to Enroll" your acceptance offer will be withdrawn.​

But there's no date given. (Above it says the deposit is due within 14 days of your acceptance, which is for those accepted so far would have been over a month ago, but I digress). Anyway, I get that they want the deposit by today, but do we have to "Plan to Enroll" by today? Or do we still have until May 2nd? I did try emailing them but haven't heard back yet!
This link has all the deadlines (starting on page 11): https://www.downstate.edu/education..._admissions_information_booklet_2021cycle.pdf
 
The deposit is open on the portal! It also says:

If you do not submit your deposit by 11:59 pm and also select “Plan to Enroll,” or "Commit to Enroll" your acceptance offer will be withdrawn.​

But there's no date given. (Above it says the deposit is due within 14 days of your acceptance, which is for those accepted so far would have been over a month ago, but I digress). Anyway, I get that they want the deposit by today, but do we have to "Plan to Enroll" by today? Or do we still have until May 2nd? I did try emailing them but haven't heard back yet!
I don't think the deposit was due yesterday. It can be paid any time till April 30th I think
 
are people still getting interviews? I have literally heard nothing since I applied in September :')
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anybody share how their interview experience was like at DS? How was the vibes/atmosphere of the interview!? Thank you!
Mine was very relaxed. A+ vibes honestly. I'm pretty sure my interviewer was wearing a T-shirt (which made me fall in love with the school immediately). It ended up being about 90 minutes but it went by super fast. I think the length just depends on how many tangents you go off on and if your interviewer has anything to do afterwards lol (I remember seeing posts of people who had interviews from 30 mins to 2+ hrs who were admitted, so I wouldn't be concerned about this.).

We covered more ground than my other interviewers did, but I wasn't asked any challenging or "gotcha" questions. They asked me about some of my experiences and all the standard stuff, but it was all just casual conversation. The only thing that stood out from my other interviews was—and many people have posted this so I'm not giving away state secrets—I was asked about how I prepared for the MCAT and about my grades. That only lasted about 10 min though and I was very honest and made no excuses, which they seemed to appreciate and then we moved on lol.

Probably my favorite interview of the cycle.
 
Congratulations!! I was also accepted to the MPH program on 3/2/22, but did not receive an interview invite for their MD program. Did you complete your pre-matric checklist yet or send any recent letters of interest / updates? When did you see available dates for interviews? You must be feeling ecstatic! Congrats again.
Hi sorry just saw this -- Thanks so much!!
No I didn't send any updates/letters (even though I really wanted to! lol) bc they ask not too. I also didn't complete any of the MPH requirements like the pre-matric. They sent a few options for itnerview dates, and I think the last one is 4/28. I wish you so much luck!!