2021-2022 UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @resilience9 and @baz2020 for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 UC Irvine Secondary Essay Prompts:
1. What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why? (1500 characters, not including spaces)

2. Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge or disappointment you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1500 characters, not including spaces)

3. (Optional) Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? If so, please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. (1500 characters, not including spaces)

4. This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work, and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. If you have just received or will receive your undergraduate degree this year, please discuss your plans for current year. (1500 characters, not including spaces)

------------------------------------------------

MD/PhD-specific Essay Prompts:
1) What research accomplishment are you most proud of and why?

2) Please describe to the Admissions Committee a research challenge you have overcome and what you learned from that experience.

3) What does it mean, to you, to be an MD/PhD?

4) Please list all posters, manuscripts (published or planned) you would like the Admissions Committee to consider.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone receive anything here yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS, nothing yet as well

Does anyone know if UCI pre-screens and if so, how they do it?

OOS, nothing yet as well

Does anyone know if UCI pre-screens and if so, how they do it?
Not sure if there is a hard cutoff, but I believe they do manually screen at least from what I remember from last years thread?

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if there is a hard cutoff, but I believe they do manually screen at least from what I remember from last years thread?
Yeah, that was my experience during my first cycle. Also, I think all UC's do this kind of screening

IS received! Here are the prompts:

What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why? (1500 characters, not including spaces)

Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge or disappointment you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1500 characters, not including spaces)

(Optional) Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? If so, please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. (1500 characters, not including spaces)

This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work, and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. If you have just received or will receive your undergraduate degree this year, please discuss your plans for current year. (1500 characters, not including spaces)

Reactions: 1 user
Reapplicant, didn't receive a secondary the first cycle, but just received the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if our research activities were clinical and paid we list them in each section????

• Hmm
How to answer this section? Do we add new things or are we repeating our primary?

"Please list those activities that are most important to you, for the most part these include activities listed on your AMCAS application. This information will serve as a summary of your key activities and will be used by the Admissions Committee when screening your application."

How to answer this section? Do we add new things or are we repeating our primary?

"Please list those activities that are most important to you, for the most part these include activities listed on your AMCAS application. This information will serve as a summary of your key activities and will be used by the Admissions Committee when screening your application."
lol following this thread. glad were both confused.

Does anyone's LOR show up as red exclamation mark on their Status even though they were submitted via AMCAS a while ago?

lol following this thread. glad were both confused.
Sigh, I repeated my primary and think I just wasted 100 bucks for not following instructions. Pretty sure they just want you to copy over your 3 most meaningful, and maybe 1 or 2 new ones or additional ones from your app.

Sigh, I repeated my primary and think I just wasted 100 bucks for not following instructions. Pretty sure they just want you to copy over your 3 most meaningful, and maybe 1 or 2 new ones or additional ones from your app.
I don't see anywhere that it says only do 1-2, I think if it was important enough to include in your primary you should include it here

Got the secondary OOS lol. 517/3.8. One of my half dozen reaches.

517/3.8 and UCI is a reach?

Well SDN has told me my ECs are average which won’t make me an auto-accept applicant at some higher ranked schools. If you’re going purely by stats I guess there’s only 3 or 4 schools that I shouldn’t apply to. OOS no ties to California doesn’t help either. I did the WARS thing and my score was in the mid 70s. I hope you’re right tho.

I think you're okay. Don't stress.

just received secondary
3.2/509/IS/IA

Still waiting :cryi: IS, 3.97/518. Have received secondary from UCSF, UCLA, and UCSD. But no UCI, UCD, or UCR yet.

Still waiting :cryi: IS, 3.97/518. Have received secondary from UCSF, UCLA, and UCSD. But no UCI, UCD, or UCR yet.

Fyi, UCR sends their secondary out really late usually like in late august or September

Fyi, UCR sends their secondary out really late usually like in late august or September

UCR and UCD both have more rigorous screens which is, most likely, the reason for being sent later than most schools.

OOS MSTP applicant received secondary early this morning

@wysdoc

MD/PhD specific Prompts all 1500 characters

1) What research accomplishment are you most proud of and why?

2) Please describe to the Admissions Committee a research challenge you have overcome and what you learned from that experience.

3) What does it mean, to you, to be an MD/PhD?

4) Please list all posters, manuscripts (published or planned) you would like the Admissions Committee to consider.

Still waiting on UCI, UCSF, UCD and UCR. Anybody else?

For the "have you participated in service to the Latino community for at least one year?" question, the food pantry I volunteer at weekly is in my predominantly Hispanic community and the people who come to it for meals are overwhelmingly from a Hispanic background. Do you think this qualifies? At face value I think it does as I have been there for over a year, but I would love another opinion on this just to make sure it follows the "spirit" of the question I guess.

For the "have you participated in service to the Latino community for at least one year?" question, the food pantry I volunteer at weekly is in my predominantly Hispanic community and the people who come to it for meals are overwhelmingly from a Hispanic background. Do you think this qualifies? At face value I think it does as I have been there for over a year, but I would love another opinion on this just to make sure it follows the "spirit" of the question I guess.
Yes

Just to confirm, I would mark that question as no if I’ve been interpreting since September 2020 but plan on continuing until matriculation?

Just to confirm, I would mark that question as no if I’ve been interpreting since September 2020 but plan on continuing until matriculation?
Correct? I think? Does it say continuous? If not you might be able to shrug and throw cumulative hours in there.

That's a tough question and I believe a good enough reason to email admissions.