2021-2022 University of Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do yall think that someone could thrive here who is not particularly interested in family medicine in an underserved area? seems like they are very mission driven.
are you interested in other primary care fields like IM, OB, or Pediatrics?
You are right though, this school prioritizes mission fit, for primary care docs who would intend to serve the SE Texas region

Members don't see this ad.

Do yall think that someone could thrive here who is not particularly interested in family medicine in an underserved area? seems like they are very mission driven.
Not sure they want only one area - any primary care would do.

I know of a student there that’s pursuing a surgical subspecialty and several who are pursuing EM and medium competitive Specialties. However I do think desiring to serve low income/underserved populations is crucial. From day 1 you’ll be in a PC clinic working with the underserved. If u aren’t with that then you may not be happy. If you’re at least open minded to any Primary care then you will be fine imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical schools can only look for fit upfront but cant force people to choose a residency field after 4 years.

Equivocation not recommended but people are expected to change their minds.

Medical schools can only look for fit upfront but cant force people to choose a residency field after 4 years.

Equivocation not recommended but people are expected to change their minds.
Exactly -- they can't force people. Folks at UH know they will still get 10-12 % into Family Med, and no matter what they do -- the rest will go to other specialties.

I have an interview scheduled with UH this week. I was wondering if anybody had any tips for the interview. Also, I wanted to get a feel for how you guys thought the interview went? Pretty laidback or was it intense? I've participated in one other MMI and wasn't a huge fan of the interview process. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview scheduled with UH this week. I was wondering if anybody had any tips for the interview. Also, I wanted to get a feel for how you guys thought the interview went? Pretty laidback or was it intense? I've participated in one other MMI and wasn't a huge fan of the interview process. Thanks!
Mines was really laid back! After I gave my initial response, the remaining time was basically follow up questions but in a very conversational way. Only one of my interviewers had a poker face the entire time.

Be honest, confident, and show excitement! Pretty laid back IMO as far as the interviewers. Now as far as the MMI process… it’s just gas to the fire. The timing is what makes it intense. The people you talk to are laid back and receptive.

are you interested in other primary care fields like IM, OB, or Pediatrics?
You are right though, this school prioritizes mission fit, for primary care docs who would intend to serve the SE Texas region
I mean peds insterests me but I truly dont have much interest in serving in SE Texas.

For anyone concerned, I prematched here and was very clear that although I have interests in a primary care field, I may want to specialize later once I’m exposed. I was also clear that I wanted to practice in an urban setting in the future and wasn’t from the SE part of Texas.

For anyone concerned, I prematched here and was very clear that although I have interests in a primary care field, I may want to specialize later once I’m exposed. I was also clear that I wanted to practice in an urban setting in the future and wasn’t from the SE part of Texas.
x2! I prematched here with 0 PC experience but I expressed an openness to consider it in my interview. I in no way committed. I am passionate about SE TX (where I’m from) and the low income/underserved. They don’t expect everyone to go PC!

I just got rejected from UHCOM again this morning lol, also got a rejection email on Nov 11

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any results for folks who interviewed on 10/28?

speaking generally, did anyone dislike the MMIs???? Just me?? :(
Not a fan of MMIs either. I had a traditional interview a few months ago and did really well, yesterday’s performance not so much.

Random q if anyone has any idea:
Submitted my secondary in late June but my MCAT was below 507, does that mean not getting rejected yet is a positive sign or do they possibly not review lower scores until later?

Submitted my secondary in late June but my MCAT was below 507, does that mean not getting rejected yet is a positive sign or do they possibly not review lower scores until later?
I just interviewed with a sub-500 MCAT score. I would guess you are still in the running if you haven’t received a rejection at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
are you IS?

Hey guys, hope the cycle is going alright for y'all! I interviewed on 9/9/21, but I still haven't heard anything from the school. Does UHCOM do post-interview rejections as well? Or will I only hear about a decision during the match in 2022?

Hey guys, hope the cycle is going alright for y'all! I interviewed on 9/9/21, but I still haven't heard anything from the school. Does UHCOM do post-interview rejections as well? Or will I only hear about a decision during the match in 2022?
You will either get a prematch offer or you will hear about an acceptance or rejection on Match Day, I believe

Anyone communicated with UH recently? I asked a question to the admissions email but haven't gotten a reply in a week. are they slow?

Anyone communicated with UH recently? I asked a question to the admissions email but haven't gotten a reply in a week. are they slow?

We are all on break since late last week.
I think communication will be sparse until after the new year

Is it realistic to hear back for an II at this point or is it too late?

II this morning! Feel very blessed to have this opportunity!

Reactions: 4 users
phone call for A today!

Whew non-trad (big time) student here and not sure how I'm making it to Match Day....no R yet, so that's something! I'm applying every year till I get in, this is my dream school.

Whew non-trad (big time) student here and not sure how I'm making it to Match Day....no R yet, so that's something! I'm applying every year till I get in, this is my dream school.

This school is super non-trad friendly. I’m one myself.

Any OOS hear anything after their interview? I don't know if applicants receive an email notice or phone. Any insight appreciated :)

Last edited:
Any OOS hear anything after their interview? I don't know if applicants receive an email notice or phone. Any insight appreciated :)
I interviewed on 9/9 and haven't heard anything yet!

Have not heard anything either. Anyone know the cutoff for OOS students to hear back?

Anyone go to the scheduled campus tour? Worth it?

Anyone go to the scheduled campus tour? Worth it?
I did, and I think it was really valuable. The new building the school will be in this summer isn't done yet. It really gave me an idea of the culture there and what sort of things they have to offer students. UHCOM was my top choice anyway, but even more so after the tour. The school has a whole different focus than any others, and you can really feel the difference in person.

Did anyone who interviewed this month have UH pop up on their TMDSAS list yet?

Current student here. Anyone considering attending UHCOM, feel free to send me a private message.

Did anyone who interviewed this month have UH pop up on their TMDSAS list yet?
I interviewed earlier this month and haven’t had anything pop up yet on TMDSAS. I’ve been wondering about this myself and have emailed them but haven’t had a response, so I’m glad I’m not the only one

So anyone know if UH will be offering more II's ? I know time is running out, but they could technically interview until rank lists are due, right? I'm In-State, Non Trad. I received interviews from other TX schools, expressed interest in primary care, and I'm from Houston and went to UH for undergrad lol. So not really sure why they no love me :shrug: . Sometimes I feel like my app is just sitting at the bottom of the pile of electronic apps never to be seen. I mean, I guess this school is competitive in part due to only offering 60 seats

UH sends R's right? I submitted my secondary back in September and have not gotten a II or R