2021-2022 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any august people get II?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, Canadian here. Is it worth applying here if I can submit mid-october? Or is it too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete in July but still haven't received anything. Is there a way to check the portal or do they update us through email? I don't remember there was a portal for this school

Reactions: 1 user
I was complete in July but still haven't received anything. Is there a way to check the portal or do they update us through email? I don't remember there was a portal for this school
Same boat, no portal though.

Reactions: 4 users
I have been as well. When have the others that have received an II were completed?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my primary yesterday. I know they have supplemental questions, but then there's no secondary after that, right? It's just II ?

For those who toured the campus how did you go on about doing so? I emailed one of the admissions representatives during the chat with the admissions committee session. They said to email them regarding tours but I never heard back.

I submitted my primary yesterday. I know they have supplemental questions, but then there's no secondary after that, right? It's just II ?

For those who toured the campus how did you go on about doing so? I emailed one of the admissions representatives during the chat with the admissions committee session. They said to email them regarding tours but I never heard back.
they do have secondary fee I believe.

Got an interview and signed up for both the interview and the welcome session, but I only received confirmation for the welcome session, not the interview; has anyone else gotten an II, signed up, and received a confirmation?

Reactions: 1 users
Got an interview and signed up for both the interview and the welcome session, but I only received confirmation for the welcome session, not the interview; has anyone else gotten an II, signed up, and received a confirmation?
same i didn't get confirmation for interview

do you mind sharing stats/ complete ?

Anyone that interviewed here, how was the interview? Any questions that were out of the norm? Thanks!

Completr 7/14, but my second MCAT didnt roll in until end of july. Haven't heard anything, good or bad!

Anyone completed on or near July 14 that has gotten an II, Pre-II Rejection, or still waiting?

Reactions: 2 users
II today! Canadian applicant. Completed quite late due to WES taking forever (09/14). cGPA 3.8X MCAT 51X

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
II today!! Was complete on 8/26

• Love
this means they passed over all july and august people once...damnn

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
does anyone know if it is look favorably to send an email just to re-express interest if you have been complete since july and heard nothing?

does anyone know if it is look favorably to send an email just to re-express interest if you have been complete since july and heard nothing?
Call and ask if they accept Letters of Interest. If they do, send them one

I have an interview next week! OOS w no ties, URM, 503 MCAT, 3.69 cGPA. Any tips will be helpful

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if it will be looked negatively if you say you are applying to a lot more MD schools? Like you are not serious about DO?
Officially no.
Unofficially yes, in general.

Grab a diet coke and some funions, because we're about to dive into the deep end.
Former student here. Wish to god I hadn't attended this school, it's awful in just about every way imaginable, from incompetent administration, professors that haven't got a clue, trash student body, their cult-like obsession with OMM and AT Still (far above most DO schools, my friends at other programs couldn't believe the focus we put on it), outright deceptive and dishonest policies.
The quick summary is- with a handful of exceptions- no one at this school has any idea what they're doing, but they think they do. A very dangerous combination.
One of my friends was so miserable that they tried to kill themselves after their first year.
"But they'll make you a doctor" so will the Caribbean med schools. Honestly if you ever hear that defense it's a biiiiiiiiiig red flag.
I tried to make excuses for them for awhile, but I've seen documents the administration doesn't want people to see and I've had more than a few faculty vent to me about internal issues- if you like this school you're a sucker and a chump and I genuinely pity you.
Here's a neat example- about a decade or so ago we brought on a big-name hematologist that I believe was Harvard trained (may be mistaken on that, but not the rest). This guy was the kind of professor students dream about- excellent lecturer, fun personality, knew how to actually write test questions (a rarity at this school)..... but administration basically thought he was becoming a little too popular, and rather than firing him they did something called "constructive dismissal." Made his life a living hell so he felt pressured to quit, avoiding a black eye for the school of firing someone so high-profile.
I recently took my board exam and..... holy crap, the school was wrong about everything.
Example: The first thing in 2nd year is an ungodly amount neuro; the head of OCS is a neuroanatomist (who's been in an on-again-off-again relationship with the woman who is now our pathetic excuse of a dean for years) and instead of med-school Neurology this guy teaches PhD level neuroanatomy. THIS IS NOT WHAT WE SHOULD BE LEARNING. But just like a lot of asinine policies at UNE it won't change because 1) he's head of OCS 2) the only person who really could overturn him is the Dean, and I've covered why that's not going to happen. To top it off he apparently wanted several MORE weeks of this crap, insisting it's what we need to know (and we never once covered neuro drugs). On my board exam I had all of 5 neuro questions. 4 of them were about vision. That's it.
As an aside I'm watching the Dr. Death series on Peacock and couldn't help but notice an odd commonality. The core of that case was "Is this guy really THIS freaking incompetent, or is he actually doing this horribly on purpose?" That's how I feel about UNE. They do such a piss-poor job of training us that I half-suspect it's to ensure we get a crappy board score, thereby limiting our options to primary care only (which in case you didn't know, DO schools are big on and UNE doubly so). I just don't see how they could be so mind-bogglingly incompetent. There are rumors at other schools *cough* NSU *cough* that the higher-ups get kickbacks for putting more of their students in primary care. Sounds far-fetched I know, but after everything I've seen I wouldn't be surprised.
They'll also lie straight-up to your face and accuse you of "unprofessionalism" as a way to silence any criticism. To make sure I wasn't being paranoid I asked a long-time professor if that's what they do, their answer was "absolutely."
Case in point- why is the school so friggin expensive? It's actually pretty simple. 20% of the tuition goes to support the undergraduate school, and another 20% goes to the Pharmacy school which has been hemorrhaging money since it opened, but UNE doesn't want to close it since it would be seen as a bad look for them. So the students quite literally pay the price for the school's pride. I've been shown the spreadsheets, and noticed it diverged significantly from an explanation of how the money was broken down in an email sent to students a few months ago. Get a forensic accountant digging around in there and who knows what they would find. Honestly if it came out someone was embezzling I wouldn't be surprised.
Ostensibly there is a student board (I forget the technical name of it), basically a student council where some students give feedback to the school for them to change- several of them resigned because it was plainly obvious that it was all for show and the school would just do it wants to do. There will always be teacher's pets at any school though, and some sycophants did remain and continue to stroke the school's collective ego.
There's something pretty similar wherein once a month the Dean would come and students could give her feedback, but the audience shrank very quickly after she just shot down everything (called her Dr. No lol), at one point a couple of other students challenged her on something she said- been too long, I forget the specifics- but basically here is the conversation paraphrased:
"hey so we asked around and several people said your reasoning is wrong and makes no sense and we're completely right"
"No that's not true"
"So.... everyone is lying but you?"
"You're simply mistaken"
"On what?"
"I'll discuss it with you later if you want"
"We're here now and we've done our homework, what specifically are you referring to?"
"This isn't the place right now, but just know you're wrong" (they weren't).
That's how this school operates. If gaslighting was a sport, this place would be like Michael Phelps. These people will try to sell you bag of dogs*** all while insisting it's cookies n' cream, and get offended when you refuse to play along.
Here's another fun tale: In my first year the school advertised that "attendance is not mandatory"*******
*except whenever you have a new professor (which is a LOT- this isn't like undergrad)
**concept mapping is mandatory
***if the professor just wants mandatory attendance, then it's mandatory.
****CPC's are mandatory
*****this only applies to the first year, did we not mention that? :)
Christ I could have gotten a PhD with the amount of time I spent doing the pointless extra stuff they require students to attend.
Oh, and the school loves to play fast-and-loose with definitions. While second-year lectures weren't *technically* mandatory, you would lose points off your final grade for missing lectures. Every point counts in med school, so in practice, yeah they were mandatory for all intents and purposes (but it allows the school to advertise that attendance is not technically mandatory- a very big factor for many students, including me).
Second-years were pretty pissed that they had to attend this crap, so in a surprise to no one except UNE administration they stopped coming to lectures so they could use tried-and-true boards prep that actually helps and covers what they need to know at home. But how did they verify attendance, you ask? Well at one point they used old-fashioned narcs, but eventually switched to using online quizzes (not clickers like high school/undergrad, you just needed an internet connection). A code to the quiz was given in class, you log in on a computer and answer a couple questions. Again, in a surprise to no one except UNE administration students in lecture would just text the code to their peers, allowing them to take it at home without being present. Seriously UNE, how did you not see this coming a mile away???!!!
Anyway, eventually admins wised up as they noticed almost everyone was taking quizzes while the room was half-full. One of the few professors who knew what was happening commented that a more appropriate way of handling this would have been to call a meeting and essentially say "Guys, we know what you're doing. Stop it."
But no, the school wanted their damn Perry Mason "gotcha" moment so they rigged it to know who was really there and who wasn't, catching their hands in the digital cookie jar. Now, this resulted in a flag of academic dishonesty for half the friggin class. So what to do?
Well, they can't realistically kick out half the class (though I have it on good authority several old-school admins did indeed want to do this), so then it was proposed that all the absent students sign a document acknowledging what they did, and if nothing else happened they would be given a clean reference letter and it would be expunged.
Fortunately one of these student's parents is an attorney and had the good sense to realize documents like this have a mysterious way of growing legs and walking off and threatened to sue, so eventually the school basically just gave up on it.
Also I snuck in and sat in on a lunchtime meeting between the dean and the second-years after this went down, and the dean made it allllllll about her, and how this affects her, and makes everything so hard for her, and you know she's really the victim in all this, blah blah blah. Jesus, you see this kind of psychological manipulation in abusive relationships, not in medical education.
Out of this came something of a mixed blessing for us, the class below them. We no longer had the quiz system for our second year butttttttt as one last "yeah well **** you" the school would no longer record lectures. This had the intent of trying to make lectures mandatory in practice YET AGAIN but thankfully a few students would audio record them and post them online allowing us to mostly follow along. Still couldn't tell what they were highlighting/drawing on-screen though.
Oh, the dean tried to say they couldn't record lectures because of a "contract issue" with the software company they used. lmao, she really thinks we're all dumb enough to believe that.
The school always acts so disheartened about the poor lecture attendance without ever pondering why so few attend those crappy wastes of time.
Honestly the only thing they care about is their reputation. A couple years ago the Dean sent out an email to not broadcast negative opinions of the school on SDN because she knows it's the only place this s***hole receives any honest feedback. Someone then posted that email to SDN and hooooooo boi was she pissed and then sent out another email to not post emails. That email was also posted lol. Her only concern was that it might drive potential students away along with their delicious tuition money.
If you have questions, please ask them on this thread as I would prefer as much to be in public as possible because they try to bury this stuff. Someone from the school even tried to doxx me to shut me up (not kidding). Most pre-meds ignore stuff like this, somehow thinking they have a better understanding of schools than the actual students. Don't make my mistake, folks. If you end up going here consider yourself warned.
Man, I intended to write a few sentences but then years of pent-up fury unleashed itself on my keyboard and now I'm doing my best James Fenimore Cooper impersonation. Gonna have some whiskey now.

• Wow
Reactions: 12 users
@Doc_Ock Thoughts (if any) about the new building/campus they are making in Portland? Do you think it's safe to say transition may be ~ rocky ~?
Thanks for your insight on this!

Man I was just on the verge of submitting my application to this school and oh boi.... this surely makes me reconsider my decision :)

Grab a diet coke and some funions, because we're about to dive into the deep end.
Former student here. Wish to god I hadn't attended this school, it's awful in just about every way imaginable, from incompetent administration, professors that haven't got a clue, trash student body, their cult-like obsession with OMM and AT Still (far above most DO schools, my friends at other programs couldn't believe the focus we put on it), outright deceptive and dishonest policies.
The quick summary is- with a handful of exceptions- no one at this school has any idea what they're doing, but they think they do. A very dangerous combination.
One of my friends was so miserable that they tried to kill themselves after their first year.
"But they'll make you a doctor" so will the Caribbean med schools. Honestly if you ever hear that defense it's a biiiiiiiiiig red flag.
I tried to make excuses for them for awhile, but I've seen documents the administration doesn't want people to see and I've had more than a few faculty vent to me about internal issues- if you like this school you're a sucker and a chump and I genuinely pity you.
Here's a neat example- about a decade or so ago we brought on a big-name hematologist that I believe was Harvard trained (may be mistaken on that, but not the rest). This guy was the kind of professor students dream about- excellent lecturer, fun personality, knew how to actually write test questions (a rarity at this school)..... but administration basically thought he was becoming a little too popular, and rather than firing him they did something called "constructive dismissal." Made his life a living hell so he felt pressured to quit, avoiding a black eye for the school of firing someone so high-profile.
I recently took my board exam and..... holy crap, the school was wrong about everything.
Example: The first thing in 2nd year is an ungodly amount neuro; the head of OCS is a neuroanatomist (who's been in an on-again-off-again relationship with the woman who is now our pathetic excuse of a dean for years) and instead of med-school Neurology this guy teaches PhD level neuroanatomy. THIS IS NOT WHAT WE SHOULD BE LEARNING. But just like a lot of asinine policies at UNE it won't change because 1) he's head of OCS 2) the only person who really could overturn him is the Dean, and I've covered why that's not going to happen. To top it off he apparently wanted several MORE weeks of this crap, insisting it's what we need to know (and we never once covered neuro drugs). On my board exam I had all of 5 neuro questions. 4 of them were about vision. That's it.
As an aside I'm watching the Dr. Death series on Peacock and couldn't help but notice an odd commonality. The core of that case was "Is this guy really THIS freaking incompetent, or is he actually doing this horribly on purpose?" That's how I feel about UNE. They do such a piss-poor job of training us that I half-suspect it's to ensure we get a crappy board score, thereby limiting our options to primary care only (which in case you didn't know, DO schools are big on and UNE doubly so). I just don't see how they could be so mind-bogglingly incompetent. There are rumors at other schools *cough* NSU *cough* that the higher-ups get kickbacks for putting more of their students in primary care. Sounds far-fetched I know, but after everything I've seen I wouldn't be surprised.
They'll also lie straight-up to your face and accuse you of "unprofessionalism" as a way to silence any criticism. To make sure I wasn't being paranoid I asked a long-time professor if that's what they do, their answer was "absolutely."
Case in point- why is the school so friggin expensive? It's actually pretty simple. 20% of the tuition goes to support the undergraduate school, and another 20% goes to the Pharmacy school which has been hemorrhaging money since it opened, but UNE doesn't want to close it since it would be seen as a bad look for them. So the students quite literally pay the price for the school's pride. I've been shown the spreadsheets, and noticed it diverged significantly from an explanation of how the money was broken down in an email sent to students a few months ago. Get a forensic accountant digging around in there and who knows what they would find. Honestly if it came out someone was embezzling I wouldn't be surprised.
Ostensibly there is a student board (I forget the technical name of it), basically a student council where some students give feedback to the school for them to change- several of them resigned because it was plainly obvious that it was all for show and the school would just do it wants to do. There will always be teacher's pets at any school though, and some sycophants did remain and continue to stroke the school's collective ego.
There's something pretty similar wherein once a month the Dean would come and students could give her feedback, but the audience shrank very quickly after she just shot down everything (called her Dr. No lol), at one point a couple of other students challenged her on something she said- been too long, I forget the specifics- but basically here is the conversation paraphrased:
"hey so we asked around and several people said your reasoning is wrong and makes no sense and we're completely right"
"No that's not true"
"So.... everyone is lying but you?"
"You're simply mistaken"
"On what?"
"I'll discuss it with you later if you want"
"We're here now and we've done our homework, what specifically are you referring to?"
"This isn't the place right now, but just know you're wrong" (they weren't).
That's how this school operates. If gaslighting was a sport, this place would be like Michael Phelps. These people will try to sell you bag of dogs*** all while insisting it's cookies n' cream, and get offended when you refuse to play along.
Here's another fun tale: In my first year the school advertised that "attendance is not mandatory"*******
*except whenever you have a new professor (which is a LOT- this isn't like undergrad)
**concept mapping is mandatory
***if the professor just wants mandatory attendance, then it's mandatory.
****CPC's are mandatory
*****this only applies to the first year, did we not mention that? :)
Christ I could have gotten a PhD with the amount of time I spent doing the pointless extra stuff they require students to attend.
Oh, and the school loves to play fast-and-loose with definitions. While second-year lectures weren't *technically* mandatory, you would lose points off your final grade for missing lectures. Every point counts in med school, so in practice, yeah they were mandatory for all intents and purposes (but it allows the school to advertise that attendance is not technically mandatory- a very big factor for many students, including me).
Second-years were pretty pissed that they had to attend this crap, so in a surprise to no one except UNE administration they stopped coming to lectures so they could use tried-and-true boards prep that actually helps and covers what they need to know at home. But how did they verify attendance, you ask? Well at one point they used old-fashioned narcs, but eventually switched to using online quizzes (not clickers like high school/undergrad, you just needed an internet connection). A code to the quiz was given in class, you log in on a computer and answer a couple questions. Again, in a surprise to no one except UNE administration students in lecture would just text the code to their peers, allowing them to take it at home without being present. Seriously UNE, how did you not see this coming a mile away???!!!
Anyway, eventually admins wised up as they noticed almost everyone was taking quizzes while the room was half-full. One of the few professors who knew what was happening commented that a more appropriate way of handling this would have been to call a meeting and essentially say "Guys, we know what you're doing. Stop it."
But no, the school wanted their damn Perry Mason "gotcha" moment so they rigged it to know who was really there and who wasn't, catching their hands in the digital cookie jar. Now, this resulted in a flag of academic dishonesty for half the friggin class. So what to do?
Well, they can't realistically kick out half the class (though I have it on good authority several old-school admins did indeed want to do this), so then it was proposed that all the absent students sign a document acknowledging what they did, and if nothing else happened they would be given a clean reference letter and it would be expunged.
Fortunately one of these student's parents is an attorney and had the good sense to realize documents like this have a mysterious way of growing legs and walking off and threatened to sue, so eventually the school basically just gave up on it.
Also I snuck in and sat in on a lunchtime meeting between the dean and the second-years after this went down, and the dean made it allllllll about her, and how this affects her, and makes everything so hard for her, and you know she's really the victim in all this, blah blah blah. Jesus, you see this kind of psychological manipulation in abusive relationships, not in medical education.
Out of this came something of a mixed blessing for us, the class below them. We no longer had the quiz system for our second year butttttttt as one last "yeah well **** you" the school would no longer record lectures. This had the intent of trying to make lectures mandatory in practice YET AGAIN but thankfully a few students would audio record them and post them online allowing us to mostly follow along. Still couldn't tell what they were highlighting/drawing on-screen though.
Oh, the dean tried to say they couldn't record lectures because of a "contract issue" with the software company they used. lmao, she really thinks we're all dumb enough to believe that.
The school always acts so disheartened about the poor lecture attendance without ever pondering why so few attend those crappy wastes of time.
Honestly the only thing they care about is their reputation. A couple years ago the Dean sent out an email to not broadcast negative opinions of the school on SDN because she knows it's the only place this s***hole receives any honest feedback. Someone then posted that email to SDN and hooooooo boi was she pissed and then sent out another email to not post emails. That email was also posted lol. Her only concern was that it might drive potential students away along with their delicious tuition money.
If you have questions, please ask them on this thread as I would prefer as much to be in public as possible because they try to bury this stuff. Someone from the school even tried to doxx me to shut me up (not kidding). Most pre-meds ignore stuff like this, somehow thinking they have a better understanding of schools than the actual students. Don't make my mistake, folks. If you end up going here consider yourself warned.
Man, I intended to write a few sentences but then years of pent-up fury unleashed itself on my keyboard and now I'm doing my best James Fenimore Cooper impersonation. Gonna have some whiskey now.
yikes

@Doc_Ock Thoughts (if any) about the new building/campus they are making in Portland? Do you think it's safe to say transition may be ~ rocky ~?
Thanks for your insight on this!
I don't know too much about it, no. It will likely take years though, I doubt they'd have everything done by the time you graduate much less complete your first two preclinical years.
Love your username btw.

I don't know too much about it, no. It will likely take years though, I doubt they'd have everything done by the time you graduate much less complete your first two preclinical years.
Love your username btw.
Okay, good to know. By their info sessions, they were pretty set that our M2 year we would have to relocate to the Portland campus but I am sure they will delay that over time then.
Thank u for the username-cred :)

Man I was just on the verge of submitting my application to this school and oh boi.... this surely makes me reconsider my decision :)
If you value your sanity, do not. I stand by every word I wrote.

Hopefully this isn't the only school i get into or i'll have a dilemma
That was my predicament, though it was the only school I applied to on a whim. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have even gone to med school, I would have gone PA. 2-3 years and you're DONE, out making a solid income before the med students have even graduated.

Hopefully this isn't the only school i get into or i'll have a dilemma
Just my advice, but do not let one person’s experience or post completely scare you away from a school. One experience does not dictate the entire program. I have a sibling at this school and she has had a positive experience overall, granted not every school is perfect and there are administration/faculty challenges but be mindful that everyone has their opinions so take things with a grain of salt :)

• Okay...
Reactions: 16 users
Just my advice, but do not let one person’s experience or post completely scare you away from a school. One experience does not dictate the entire program. I have a sibling at this school and she has had a positive experience overall, granted not every school is perfect and there are administration/faculty challenges but be mindful that everyone has their opinions so take things with a grain of salt :)
@bybertaux True -- every school has flaws. Med school is what you make of it.

Reactions: 2 users
got an II like 3 weeks ago, interviewed last monday, info in sig