2021-2022 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any current students (or prospective students who remember from interview day) comment on the weekly schedule for the Seattle cohort? I have seen the curriculum schematics that describe the quarters, but I can't find the slide that explained when classes are weekly and what is optional/mandatory or in-person/virtual.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who was interviewed by Mr. Gianola this year? Some of his questions really got me there.

Reactions: 1 users
So.......Idaho just passed a law that says that if Idaho WWAMI students don't practice in Idaho for at least four years, they have to reimburse the state of Idaho up to $120,000. Does anybody know if that applies to our class?

Members don't see this ad :)
So.......Idaho just passed a law that says that if Idaho WWAMI students don't practice in Idaho for at least four years, they have to reimburse the state of Idaho up to $120,000. Does anybody know if that applies to our class?
The article says that it will apply to the class starting in fall 2023

Anyone on the ranked alternate list know when the first signs of movement typically start? I know that April 30th is the heaviest day of movement, but do people get accepted off the ranked list earlier?

Last edited:
Can any current students (or prospective students who remember from interview day) comment on the weekly schedule for the Seattle cohort? I have seen the curriculum schematics that describe the quarters, but I can't find the slide that explained when classes are weekly and what is optional/mandatory or in-person/virtual.
I spoke with a current medical student and they said the in-person/virtual breakdown of classes has been fluctuating with more virtual activities during Covid surges and more in-person activities when cases are low (e.g. virtual exams vs. in-person). For now, it seems that students have the option of attending in-person or webcasting. The administration is still working to rework the virtual vs. in-person aspects of the curriculum to facilitate community building while allowing for learning style flexibility. It appears their goal is to maintain some virtual aspects of the current curriculum while transitioning to more in-person activities when the incoming class starts their first quarter.

I spoke with a current medical student and they said the in-person/virtual breakdown of classes has been fluctuating with more virtual activities during Covid surges and more in-person activities when cases are low (e.g. virtual exams vs. in-person). For now, it seems that students have the option of attending in-person or webcasting. The administration is still working to rework the virtual vs. in-person aspects of the curriculum to facilitate community building while allowing for learning style flexibility. It appears their goal is to maintain some virtual aspects of the current curriculum while transitioning to more in-person activities when the incoming class starts their first quarter.
Edited to add that this is specific to the Seattle site. Each site has some flexibility based on their own needs.

Based on what I'm seeing from the admin now as an MS1, you should all expect to be in person for exams, foundations in clinical med, anatomy, and small group conferences, assuming nothing major happens with covid. We have been told we will be back to in person exams in the fall (they tried for this spring but we fought that), and as of now all of our conferences are in person with no remote options (we are currently fighting to have a remote option available). Seattle lectures will continue to be recorded and posted the next day, but no live remote option is offered.

As you said, there is still some mobility, but the president of UW as a whole is pushing hard to get everyone back fully in person permanently, so I would expect things to stay in person.

Also, just so yall know, many blocks have in person conferences 2 hours daily, so even if you aren't someone who plans to attend lectures in person, you need to plan to be on campus daily for those. That usually picks up in January but they moved yalls curriculum around so I don't know I it will be late fall or January for you.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if we get time off for thanksgiving? even just thursday and friday?

Anyone on the ranked alternate list know when the first signs of movement typically start? I know that April 30th is the heaviest day of movement, but do people get accepted off the ranked list earlier?
They have taken two alternates from the Spokane cohort so far. I am not sure how this compares to previous years, but just from reading the messages from 2020-2021, it looked like like three or four alternates were accepted for the Seattle cohort around this time last year and quite a few more by mid-April. I didn't see much chatter about the other cohorts. Regardless, I would take it all with a grain of salt, since each year is different, each cohort is different, and we all have different rankings. Though, the one thing that seems pretty certain is that we should all have a pretty good indication of our standing by the first week of May.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if we get time off for thanksgiving? even just thursday and friday?
last year we got Thursday and Friday, but we had class until 5 or 5:30 on Wednesday. We made a big stink about it, though, so fingers crossed they fix that for next year :)

I am super interested in the Community-focused Urban Scholars Program (CUSP) at UW. Can any current student share a bit about it and let me know what the schedule and typical day is like as a CUSP student? Thanks a lot.

I have been combing through the website to locate what the E22 schedule will look, but I have only been able to find the general breakdown by learning blocks. I was hoping someone could help me have a better idea of the day-to-day schedule as far as what times of day and which days of the week we will need to be on campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Normal classes are M, T, Th, F 1:30-5:30. Right now they are recorded and posted the next day so attendance isn't mandatory. However some blocks have small group conferences for 2 hours during that block of time 1-4 days a week that aren't required, but are extremely helpful and I highly recommend attending as many as you are able. You also have hospital mornings every other week on T, W, or Th am, 8-12. Those weeks you also have FCM 1:30-5:30 on Wednesday, attendance required (yes, they take attendance). On the in between weeks starting in January you have your primary care practicum. Most people do this Wednesday AM 8-12, but it is up to you to make a schedule with your preceptor.

Exams are Monday or Friday morning at 8:30, and they will be in person for your class, at the health science library. Most blocks tend to have Monday exams.

There are also always lots of seminars and panel discussions in the evenings that are super helpful. Most of these will be on zoom, unless it's a hands on workshop.

You should also plan for spending at least a couple of mornings or evenings outside class hours shadowing every month, but that's totally up to you.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
is anyone else on the Seattle waitlist surprised that there still hasn't been any movement? I know the biggest movement is expected by the 30th, and that every year is different, but based on previous years' threads I was hoping there would be at least some movement earlier than that!

Reactions: 5 users
is anyone else on the Seattle waitlist surprised that there still hasn't been any movement? I know the biggest movement is expected by the 30th, and that every year is different, but based on previous years' threads I was hoping there would be at least some movement earlier than that!
We only just passed the "hold no more than three acceptances" date so we may observe some movement this week.

Also nervously tracking it... there might be a system lag in how soon it updates on the portal. The SDN UW threads seem more active for previous years since people self-reported their admission off the waitlist. I'm not sure if the portal updated as quickly as people reported.

Reactions: 3 users
Also nervously tracking it... there might be a system lag in how soon it updates on the portal. The SDN UW threads seem more active for previous years since people self-reported their admission off the waitlist. I'm not sure if the portal updated as quickly as people reported.
Same boat! I'm waitlisted around the mid-30s and trying my best to not think about what waitlist trends are, but failing at it.

• Care
Same boat! I'm waitlisted around the mid-30s and trying my best to not think about what waitlist trends are, but failing at it.
I’m sub-20 and will update once/if I get off the waitlist. Hopefully the portal will update before then. Best of luck!

• Care
No movement on Spokane WL as of today, I'm sub-15 but not terribly optimistic given that last year only 8 were accepted off of WL. Best of luck to all of my friends hanging out on the WL with me!

Edit: still at 2 off of WL

• Care
Y'all I'm 99% sure ima be relinquishing my Seattle seat in the next week or so... Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist! <3

• Care
Maybe all of adcom decided to take a collective break from work this week 😌

I emailed adcom to ask about any movement and they responded promptly with the following:

“There has not yet been any movement on the Seattle/OOR alternate list. My guess is that there will be some in the next week or so, but of course can't be sure.”

So just have to wait and see! Fingers crossed!

Hang in there all you WL folks.

May the first be with you (close enough).

Harrison Ford Flirting GIF by Star Wars

• Haha
The Dean said during our interview day something to the effect of that they expect to go about 15 deep on the waitlist...so I assume that there will be at least a few people on it that decide to go elsewhere...but every year is different, so anything can happen at this point. Best we can do right now is just hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
That’s very encouraging, thank you! Wishing you the best, my friend.

The portal for Seattle/OOR alternate list updated! They are on alternate #1.

• Care
withdrawn, hope y'all get a lot of movement on the WL!

• Care
Would there be any movement during the weekend or do they only do weekdays?
The most recent time the deadline was over the weekend was 2016. From that year’s SDN thread, it seems that they didn’t process the withdrawals and update the waitlist till the weekday. But can’t be sure.

Last edited:
  • Wow
The Seattle/OOS cohort has accepted to at least around alternate position #5.

• Wow
  • Love
acceptance withdrawn (Seattle), good luck y’all!

• Care
Anyone interested in scribing for an amazing MD in Spokane DM me!

Just got the call! #16 off the waitlist.

Edit: Seattle/OOR waitlist

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else freaking out that the Spokane waitlist hasn’t moved at all since the deadline? 😅

• Care
Anyone else freaking out that the Spokane waitlist hasn’t moved at all since the deadline? 😅
I'm on the Seattle campus WL, but I am also freaking out! It seems like WL movement this year is much less than in the last two years... :/ This is a good test for staying calm in uncertain situations! o_O

• Care
Reactions: 2 users

I think the deadline was technically after business hours, so not freaking out just yet. Let's give it a few more days before we hit the panic button, lol (edit: nervously).

Last edited:
Congrats!! Was that for the Seattle/OOR cohort? My portal still just says 4 people off the list, so maybe it just hasn't been updated yet?
Yup, Seattle/OOR! I think there is a lag in the portal. They are at least at #16 now but I wouldn't be surprised if they've moved even further down the list!

19# got an email !

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Looks like waitlist movement is seriously slowing down, feeling pretty hopeless about it now :/

• Care
Looks like waitlist movement is seriously slowing down, feeling pretty hopeless about it now :/
Give it some time and try not to dwell on it. The CER deadline is not until June 14th, which is a long time for things to settle. Try to find something productive to do to get you through this initial angst.

• Care
How long do folks accepted off the WL have to get back to admissions (e.g., how long do they have to accept / reject the acceptance offer)?

How long do folks accepted off the WL have to get back to admissions (e.g., how long do they have to accept / reject the acceptance offer)?
From the acceptance email: “Applicants accepted on or prior to April 30th have two weeks to respond to our offer; applicants accepted after April 30th have one week.”

Anyone accepted off of Spokane WL willing to share rank? I know that they have accepted 4 from the WL but I don’t know what rank they are at. Thanks!