2021-2022 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone hear that rumor that they're not accepting for Alaska this cycle due to funding issues?

Members don't see this ad.

That would be strange if they don't accept any from Alaska! Also, that means they will increase the seats for other states? But UW would have mentioned it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any secondaries? Also, what you guys think about the No AMCAT?

None yet. I'm IR and 1º was verified/sent on 6/29.

I'm a little surprised that they're still allowing for an optional MCAT, but I suppose the decision makes sense for areas with delta variant surging and anyone who hadn't taken the test yet. It's a bold move to make, though, since it seems like only a few schools are allowing no-MCAT apps.
Correct.

However, they are utilizing the *Exact* same verbiage that every other school is using. I think they have entered a phase of formal multi-school research where they need to standardize the student interpretations of the exam regardless of the source material for where one learns of Casper.
As a WA resident, UW is a top choice, so I emailed them myself a couple of weeks ago about using CASPER. They got back to me back today saying that "We use the Casper score as an additional metric in the holistic review process. It won't make or break an applicant's chances but will be considered alongside all of the other information in the application as one component." So I guess they do use it, but it is not an auto-screen.

Reactions: 2 users
Did they remove the personal biography essay from their secondary? It isn’t on their website anymore.

Are you guys treating the second prompt as a diversity essay? And the first prompt to actually talk about clinical/volunteer experiences?

Also a lurking E21 student here (non-trad/reapplicant) willing to help out.
Hi there! I am a non-traditional applicant applying this cycle. Any advice? Do you mind if I ask what your stats were? What kind of graduate program you did (if you did do one). Feel free to DM me

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably official documents that verify one's residency.
Not nice.

What does the residency verification entail?
From when I applied in 2019, it entails a residency verification questionnaire, residence history form, documentation of financial independence (W-2, FAFSA, grants, scholarships, loans, etc), signed notarized statement from parents indicating that you were not claimed as a dependent on their IRS tax return, WA state residency verification (lease/rental agreement, rent receipts, notarized letter from landlord, or home purchase agreement), documentation of physical presence in WA state (WA state transcripts, pay stubs, or bank/credit card records), WA state voter registration, WA state vehicle registration, WA state drivers license. It's a process...

Not nice.

From when I applied in 2019, it entails a residency verification questionnaire, residence history form, documentation of financial independence (W-2, FAFSA, grants, scholarships, loans, etc), signed notarized statement from parents indicating that you were not claimed as a dependent on their IRS tax return, WA state residency verification (lease/rental agreement, rent receipts, notarized letter from landlord, or home purchase agreement), documentation of physical presence in WA state (WA state transcripts, pay stubs, or bank/credit card records), WA state voter registration, WA state vehicle registration, WA state drivers license. It's a process...
My friend applied last year and his residency verification was basically just confirming his home address growing up. He didn’t need any official documentation. I think the big process is only for people who have lived out of state.

Reactions: 1 user
My friend applied last year and his residency verification was basically just confirming his home address growing up. He didn’t need any official documentation. I think the big process is only for people who have lived out of state.
Makes sense, I did my undergrad in Colorado and took a research position in Boston for a year. It was pretty extensive and even slightly invasive, but anything for that II or A.

Reactions: 2 users
Not nice.

Not nice? The form literally just asked for our address history and if we were claimed as dependents or not, took 10 minutes. They may request official forms or something later for verification.

Not nice? The form literally just asked for our address history and if we were claimed as dependents or not, took 10 minutes. They may request official forms or something later for verification.
Lol I think they interpreted what you said as sarcasm (I did, too). You got the form for people who didn’t live/work in a different state after undergrad, but as @kearneje mentioned they worked in Boston. The info they request is different depending on your situation. If you went OOS for schooling but came immediately back to WA, I don’t think you need to do the big packet.

Have the UW MSTP secondaries been sent out yet? If so, would someone mind sharing them? thanks!

Lol I think they interpreted what you said as sarcasm (I did, too). You got the form for people who didn’t live/work in a different state after undergrad, but as @kearneje mentioned they worked in Boston. The info they request is different depending on your situation. If you went OOS for schooling but came immediately back to WA, I don’t think you need to do the big packet.
Ya everyone has to do the questionnaire to get a secondary.

Secondary Received 8/20 afternoon. WAMMI 3.9x 517

Hey yall so they wont consider you for a secondary until you take the MCAT?

I got an email in which I said I will be taking the MCAT but they said "understand that the UWSOM will not review my application until the scores are released, and they will be factored into the holistic review". So will I not get a secondary or anything until the MCAT released?

It feels so good to hear back from medical school

I think this means your secondary won't be looked at until the MCAT is released. I've never seen a school hold a secondary because they don't have your MCAT. Your file just won't be marked as complete until your score's out.
My MCAT was just released on 8/17. An hour later I got two secondaries, and then next morning I got a third, two days later I got the residency verification from UW (may be coincidence since it seems they just started sending these out).

I know for certain that UCLA, Kaiser, and WSU explicitly hold secondaries until MCAT scores are released. Not sure about UW, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

My MCAT was just released on 8/17. An hour later I got two secondaries, and then next morning I got a third, two days later I got the residency verification from UW (may be coincidence since it seems they just started sending these out).

I know for certain that UCLA, Kaiser, and WSU explicitly hold secondaries until MCAT scores are released. Not sure about UW, but I wouldn’t be surprised.
What do you mean by one day they send two secondaries and second day the got the third؟

What do you mean by one day they send two secondaries and second day the got the third؟
I was answering the question, “do schools sometimes hold secondaries until MCAT scores are received?” To which I explained that I got three secondaries within 24hrs of my score being released. So yeah, probably.

Does everyone get asked for a mission statement? Or just if theyre iffy on your application

Does everyone get asked for a mission statement? Or just if theyre iffy on your application
Hey I got one too, are you OOS? I am from CA, I think its to verify if you fit their mission statement before they grant you a secondary.

Hey I got one too, are you OOS? I am from CA, I think its to verify if you fit their mission statement before they grant you a secondary.
+1 OOS mission statement essay, also from CA! It is my dream school. I did a field studies program in rural Alaska with Alaskan Natives, and am hoping it helps my app.

OOS from East Coast, primary verified Friday 8/20, received mission statement request just now. I love love love this school but am not feeling confident in an A here…. Just hoping for a secondary for now

I was answering the question, “do schools sometimes hold secondaries until MCAT scores are received?” To which I explained that I got three secondaries within 24hrs of my score being released. So yeah, probably.
Schools that use MCAT scores in their screening process will absolutely hold a secondary application until receviing the score. I'm not sure UW's screening process though.

They send OOR students a mission statement if they are considering sending you a secondary. Not all applicants OOR get them I believe, but I could be wrong. Someone please correct me if I am!

Reactions: 1 users