I was hoping for some decorum advice. I had a fairly atypical but phenomenal interview experience at McGovern on 9/1. I figured the school was out of my reach and didn't expect an interview but I got one all the same, which I was thrilled about.
On interview day, we were told that our interviews were limited to 20 minutes with a HARD cutoff time of 30 minutes because the interviewers only had a 10 minute break between interviewing. My first interview ended after about 23 minutes and went quite well - I was able to demonstrate my interest and accurately portray myself.
The second interview was the last interview slot before the student Q&A panel which ran from 12-1. In this time, interviewees were supposed to ask questions of students and eat their lunches.
My interviewer and I clicked almost immediately and had a very engaging and open conversation about me, the campus, them, my aspirations in the medical world, etc. Lots of laughing and smiling and after about 28 minutes the interviewer switched to a future tense when talking; "When you are here in the Fall, I will be teaching one of your first classes and we can talk more about x/y then". Unclear if this was just a formality or kindness on their part, but there was a clear switch in the tense in which they spoke.
Seeing the time, the interviewer asked if i had anything at noon. I told them about the student panel (12-1) and informed them I had asked students lots of questions at the social the night before. They indicated that I could leave or continue talking with them, so, I continued our conversation.
We talked for another 25 minutes (55 minutes total) before we said our farewells and the interviewer told me I could find his email and cell on the internet and encouraged me to reach out if I had any further questions or if i wanted to speak more.
I returned to the main zoom room, apologized to the admin for my tardiness, and asked to be placed in the student panel breakout room.
After the student panel ended, I saw an email that had been sent from one of the admin asking me to return to the main zoom room (at about 12:25) and I also saw they had called my cell asking If i would be returning to the interview day events right before I finished talking with my interviewer.
Upon seeing this, I emailed the admin back and apologized again for my tardiness, explained that we got lost in the interview and thanked them for reaching out to me and giving me the opportunity to interview and for considering me as an applicant.
I am curious as to the appropriateness of reaching out to my 2nd interviewer again via cell/email as he had recommended to thank him again and basically send a letter of intent. I know there is a-lot of debate over followups, thank you's, and letters of intent in general, and it varies by school. Given my atypical interview and the fact that it is McGovern, which TxVandy has indicated is a VERY interest focused school, do yall think it would be wise to followup with a thank-you/Letter of intent in this manner? All thoughts and opinions appreciated, thanks you guys!