2021-2022 UTMB, Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received the campus day preview invite this morning. If we are out of the state for the semester and won’t be able to attend, do y’all think it would hurt our chance of admissions? :/ ( I am an in state resident, just will be out of the state for the next several months)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Received the campus day preview invite this morning. If we are out of the state for the semester and won’t be able to attend, do y’all think it would hurt our chance of admissions? :/ ( I am an in state resident, just will be out of the state for the next several months)
If it needs an RSVP you can decline and say you are OOS at present. I believe it is more for people who haven’t been to Galveston and need to take a look. I don’t believe this is an event where they evaluate you but if anyone has heard different please share.

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone who has registered for the campus preview day: did you get a confirmation email right after signing up?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same question. Has anyone gotten the invite who had been to/is from Galveston? And if we didn’t get one does that mean we won’t prematch or match at all? And was this even a thing before COVID?
People attended interviews in person before COVID.

I may be wrong but during my interview they said that they were trying to get in-person visits set up, and that they didn't have room to accommodate everyone, and that they would prioritizing people who could not otherwise see the school in person (like people who haven't been to Galveston? idk) They said if we wanted we could schedule a private tour by emailing the office of admissions.

Did they say that they would only invite people they were interested to tour campus in your interview day?
I also don’t remember them saying it was only people they were interested in in my interview. I also thought it was just prioritizing based on location. But then again I live very close to Galveston (I’m only out of the state temporarily) so idk if I would be classified as a location priority. Honestly have no idea what criteria they are using , if it is by interest then I must have missed that part during interview day

hello! for people who have interviewed, is UTMB appearing in your TMDSAS school rank preference page? unsure if I should just wait/this is normal or email someone!

hello! for people who have interviewed, is UTMB appearing in your TMDSAS school rank preference page? unsure if I should just wait/this is normal or email someone!
Nope

Mine has not appeared either, been obsessing over this the past couple of days, thank you for posting this.

I see some folks talking about those campus invites, I interviewed on 9/8 and was under the impression that those invites WERE for applicants they were interested in. Did you have the same understanding?

They also mentioned "townhall" meetings every other Tuesday and said they would send us links to join those but I never received that - did yall?

Rank preference has no impact until February or so.

For those of y’all that got invited to tour campus, when was your interview?

Any idea when they might invite OS students for interview. Completed the application on 6/20, still waiting.
516 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, OS

I may be wrong but during my interview they said that they were trying to get in-person visits set up, and that they didn't have room to accommodate everyone, and that they would prioritizing people who could not otherwise see the school in person (like people who haven't been to Galveston? idk) They said if we wanted we could schedule a private tour by emailing the office of admissions.

Did they say that they would only invite people they were interested to tour campus in your interview day?
i'm pretty sure they did...did you interview in september? they may have miscommunicated to applicants who interviewed in august and adjusted for future applicants.

I have not interviewed yet and was invited for an in-person on-campus preview... I am not sure if your interview affects whether they invite you or not seeing as my interview is scheduled for later this month and I received the invitation . I'm an in-state applicant.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have not interviewed yet and was invited for an in-person on-campus preview... I am not sure if your interview affects whether they invite you or not seeing as my interview is scheduled for later this month and I received the invitation . I'm an in-state applicant.
Same here.

I'm assuming business casual attire for campus tours right?

Anyone here who's interviewed already have any feedback/advice for the MMI?

I'm assuming business casual attire for campus tours right?
It was casual! They said you can wear school spirit stuff from undergrad or casual. My group mostly wore jeans and a nice-ish shirt or a school tshirt

Did anyone else get multiple invitations to complete the secondary? Is this a processing problem or just a computer glitch?

Was complete on 6/18 for this school. I know it’s just a waiting game but it’s hard to not feel like they’ve passed me over.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Was complete on 6/18 for this school. I know it’s just a waiting game but it’s hard to not feel like they’ve passed me over.
They have only been sending out interview invitations once a month, but eventually they interview over 1000 applicants

Is it a bad sign if you interviewed nearly but did not get invited to campus visit?

Its been 2 weeks since my interview and UTMB still has not shown up in the TMDSAS ranking, should I be concerned about this? Anyone else having the same issue still? Maybe I should contact them directly and ask?

Its been 2 weeks since my interview and UTMB still has not shown up in the TMDSAS ranking, should I be concerned about this? Anyone else having the same issue still? Maybe I should contact them directly and ask?
They update this page manually and in waves - just hang tight. For reference, a different school took about 7 weeks to update on my page

Reactions: 1 user
it's been over a month since my interview and it still doesn't show! Nothing to be concerned about

MSTP applicant here. In the email thanking me for submitting my secondary, it asks me to email my CV and photo, which I did. It also says "It is also suggested to upload to your AMCAS application." Where am I supposed to upload it?

how was it??
It was good! It was MMI style and be prepared to answer questions from each station. I thought I did well on the majority of them but I couldn't read the remaining 2-3 stations as well, so who knows. But that has to do with the responses from the interviewers really. A few were not as friendly as others which is normal so I wouldn't really take that as an indicator of how you did or are going to do! My other interviews I had really good feedback right away so I really don't know how I did here. Good luck to you all!! Wishing everyone the best.

Last edited:
It was good! It was MMI style and be prepared to answer questions from each station. I thought I did well on the majority of them but I couldn't read the remaining 2-3 stations as well, so who knows. But that has to do with the responses from the interviewers really. A few were not as friendly as others which is normal so I wouldn't really take that as an indicator of how you did or are going to do! My other interviews I had really good feedback right away so I really don't know how I did here. Good luck to you all!! Wishing everyone the best.
So Galveston is only mmi and no personal one on one interviews?

Did anyone else get the town tall invites? I interviewed and got the town hall invite, but haven’t gotten an invite for a tour.

Did anyone else get the town tall invites? I interviewed and got the town hall invite, but haven’t gotten an invite for a tour.
I did, and didn't get the invite for a tour. But from the looks of it, it seems the tour invite is randomly given out to interviews.

Did yall send a thank you email? And if so, did you just send it to the admissions email or what?

Did yall send a thank you email? And if so, did you just send it to the admissions email or what?
I did not, I only sent a thank you to McGovern so far because I really felt a strong connection with them and my interviewer explicitly asked me to reach back out to them and gave me their cell and email. That being said, I sent a personal thank you to them after 3 weeks and a short and more general thank you to the admissions email at the same time. Received short, kind replies.

If you felt that your UTMB interview went exceptionally well, I would reach out with a thank you, to admin email. The MMI format makes it difficult to have enough for a personal thank you to each interviewer.

Thats my 2 cents, thank yous are still kinda debated in terms of appropriateness and id rather not come off as uncouth. Best of luck to you! Id be very interested to know what you end up doing!

I did not, I only sent a thank you to McGovern so far because I really felt a strong connection with them and my interviewer explicitly asked me to reach back out to them and gave me their cell and email. That being said, I sent a personal thank you to them after 3 weeks and a short and more general thank you to the admissions email at the same time. Received short, kind replies.

If you felt that your UTMB interview went exceptionally well, I would reach out with a thank you, to admin email. The MMI format makes it difficult to have enough for a personal thank you to each interviewer.

Thats my 2 cents, thank yous are still kinda debated in terms of appropriateness and id rather not come off as uncouth. Best of luck to you! Id be very interested to know what you end up doing!
Thanks so much for the detailed response! Best of luck to you as well :)

I believe that in two out of the nine MMI interviews, you will have the opportunity to sell yourself. Just curious, are those interviews closed or open file? Also, for those that have already been interviewed, I would love the opportunity to chat with you one-on-one. Thanks!

I believe that in two out of the nine MMI interviews, you will have the opportunity to sell yourself. Just curious, are those interviews closed or open file? Also, for those that have already been interviewed, I would love the opportunity to chat with you one-on-one. Thanks!
How are you relating MMI to actual application? Isn't by nature not tied to an application?

@TxPreMed2022 Since they will have 9 "interview rooms" with each one manned by one interviewer, I think it's unlikely that each interviewer has your file in front of them or has time to refer to it during your 8 minutes. They will be listening to your answer and your thought process for that particular question.

@texasvandy the MMI format is described in detail on the UTMB web page and not all of the stations are abstract scenarios: Application Timeline

@TxPreMed2022 Since they will have 9 "interview rooms" with each one manned by one interviewer, I think it's unlikely that each interviewer has your file in front of them or has time to refer to it during your 8 minutes. They will be listening to your answer and your thought process for that particular question.

@texasvandy the MMI format is described in detail on the UTMB web page and not all of the stations are abstract scenarios: Application Timeline
@wysdoc sounds interesting. It does not say they have access to your file during the interview as you also seem to think...

I do see a lot of interview dates per month - 2 per week?