2021-2022 UTMB, Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I still can’t see my interview time and it’s in two hours. Anyone else? I’m kinda freaking out

Members don't see this ad.

Send the Admissions Office an email. Call and leave a message if nobody picks up.
I ended up calling yesterday to ask and they said it should be up sometime this morning!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II received today! IS-Complete mid-July.

Update: for those who asked-yes, I do have lots of clinical, volunteering, research, etc...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
IS ii received! complete 7/26. 3.7 cpga, 3.4sgpa, 512 MCAT w/ lots of clinical experience

Reactions: 2 users
Received an II today! Submitted secondary mid July

Stats: 504, 3.76/3.77, IS, URM

Reactions: 2 users
IS II recently. Completed late July

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, I submitted by secondary on 6/30, but just realized today that UTMB requires CASPer as well as Duet. I just finished my Duet and it was sent today. Do you all think this will hurt my application and chances for an II? I'm kinda freaking out now. I know that there is still time until the pre-match date, but I just want some advice. 511 MCAT just gonna throw that out there. ALso, it says that "Duet is a pilot and will not be used in the screening process", so I still did it but am confused as to whether or not my application technically wasnt completed this whole time? ANy insight? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey all, I submitted by secondary on 6/30, but just realized today that UTMB requires CASPer as well as Duet. I just finished my Duet and it was sent today. Do you all think this will hurt my application and chances for an II? I'm kinda freaking out now. I know that there is still time until the pre-match date, but I just want some advice. 511 MCAT just gonna throw that out there. ALso, it says that "Duet is a pilot and will not be used in the screening process", so I still did it but am confused as to whether or not my application technically wasnt completed this whole time? ANy insight? Thanks.
UTMB only requires CASPER. Duet is optional, if you had CASPER complete already then it’s fine

UTMB only requires CASPER. Duet is optional, if you had CASPER complete already then it’s fine
Thats what I thought, but I found this on their official website:

All applicants applying to the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston are required to complete both the CASPer and Duet assessments via the Altus Suite. Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility. Applicants must only complete Casper and Duet from the Altus Suite to complete their application to the School of Medicine.

Not sure that to think now lol.

Thats what I thought, but I found this on their official website:

All applicants applying to the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston are required to complete both the CASPer and Duet assessments via the Altus Suite. Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility. Applicants must only complete Casper and Duet from the Altus Suite to complete their application to the School of Medicine.

Not sure that to think now lol.
You’re complete now, UTMB has only invited people to interview on 2 days so far, move on to other worries!

You’re complete now, UTMB has only invited people to interview on 2 days so far, move on to other worries!
you're right but I'm shocked that the TMDSAS official website and UTMB website would have different information on this topic. I genuinely didnt think that they required Duet and now feel like my application status has been pushed back so far.

you're right but I'm shocked that the TMDSAS official website and UTMB website would have different information on this topic. I genuinely didnt think that they required Duet and now feel like my application status has been pushed back so far.
The TMDSAS website has told everyone that Duet was wanted by Long, UTMB, and SHSU for the last several months.
This information has been up on their page since May 2021.
Secondary Applications & CASPer

When you go to that web page, be sure you are seeing THIS YEAR'S page and not an old, cached version.

Now, I want to tell you to quit worrying and obsessing about this but I doubt you will. But try.

I'm slightly confused by the interview instructions - if I'm reading this right, they want us to use a computer to video but use our phone to dial in for audio? Can anyone who's interviewed already speak on this maybe?

I'm slightly confused by the interview instructions - if I'm reading this right, they want us to use a computer to video but use our phone to dial in for audio? Can anyone who's interviewed already speak on this maybe?
Don’t worry about that! You can just click the interview in the AMP portal and open zoom like normal. Last week someone asked the same thing and they said not to worry about that!

Don’t worry about that! You can just click the interview in the AMP portal and open zoom like normal. Last week someone asked the same thing and they said not to worry about that!
How soon before the interview date do you see the interview instructions? Mine's in early September, but the interview tab just has info on rescheduling in the event of an emergency, with no info about actually logging into the interview itself.

How soon before the interview date do you see the interview instructions? Mine's in early September, but the interview tab just has info on rescheduling in the event of an emergency, with no info about actually logging into the interview itself.
I think at every school almost it’s like three days before or something

Did anyone who interviewed have issues with AMP while using a Mac?
My interview is tomorrow and I just got an email saying Macs have been having issues, but I do not have another computer.

Did anyone who interviewed have issues with AMP while using a Mac?
My interview is tomorrow and I just got an email saying Macs have been having issues, but I do not have another computer.
Mine worked fine! No issues whatsoever

hi guys!! how have you been prepping for the mmis? I have a friend that applied last cycle and said the interview vibes were very laidback, but has this changed a lot?

hi guys!! how have you been prepping for the mmis? I have a friend that applied last cycle and said the interview vibes were very laidback, but has this changed a lot?
Previously the UTMB interview format has been one-to-one interviews with 2 different interviewers, and some presentations you would watch.

This year they have changed to the MMI format, it's new for them, so there's no history to refer back to.
If y'all did the CASPer, you can do MMIs which will be a little more natural because there's a person listening to your responses, some interaction & maybe followup questions.

Good to know. I can't start prepping for UTMB yet but in a couple of weeks will start! Thank you.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but do we send thank you letters after the MMI?

For those who have interviewed. When do they send us our interview times? The night before or the morning of?

Have any MD/PhD applicants heard anything from ADCOMs yet? I applied through AMCAS last month. radio silence.

Have any MD/PhD applicants heard anything from ADCOMs yet? I applied through AMCAS last month. radio silence.
I’m in the same boat. I saw that last year they offered MD/PhD interviews on two dates in October so they may just be later in the cycle. Haven’t even received a secondary though. Maybe they’re just expecting quick turnaround?

I’m in the same boat. I saw that last year they offered MD/PhD interviews on two dates in October so they may just be later in the cycle. Haven’t even received a secondary though. Maybe they’re just expecting quick turnaround?
Turns out they don't have a secondary app for MD/PhD. I came across that piece of info buried on their website a few weeks ago

Does anyone happen to have a pdf copy of the curriculum timeline and/or know which month students at UTMB usually take their Step 1 exam?

For anyone who has already interviewed: do they send you a zoom link to use for all the presentations aside from the MMI portion of the day? Hadn't seen anything yet and wasn't sure how this will work.

For anyone who has already interviewed: do they send you a zoom link to use for all the presentations aside from the MMI portion of the day? Hadn't seen anything yet and wasn't sure how this will work.
check your email! I was sent a zoom link and schedule 2 days before my interview date.

Does anyone know how many Interview dates have been filled?
I don't think we can get access to that information, but from what I know UTMB has only sent out interview invitations so far on 2 days, July 28 and August 20. Lots more chances to go-

Edited to add:
UTMB has updated its web page with information about the format of the interview as well as listing all the days on which they will interview this year. (See link below)
Of course on the Texas gulf coast those dates are always subject to change due weather/hurricanes.
***If the date you are offered for an interview isn't possible, they will let you change it ONCE.***

Application Timeline

Last edited:
I don't think we can get access to that information, but from what I know UTMB has only sent out interview invitations so far on 2 days, July 28 and August 20. Lots more chances to go-
It sounds like they are only opening up few weeks at a time - a month? They do interview most number of candidates among all Texas schools.