You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 UTMB, Galveston
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Dude you literally willed it into existencePrematched as well, 9/15!
overnightoats4ever
Full Member
Prematch! 8/18 Interview
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
darkgreen2000
Full Member
Prematched! 10/8 interview!!
Dude you literally willed it into existence
I know haha, saw your post and thought I didn’t get it till I got the email 20 min later [emoji23]
D
deleted1043863
Anyone else from August didn't get in yet?
simplybleb
Full Member
is there no social for UTMB the day before interview?
fluffybagel
Full Member
What is the criteria for being invited to campus for a visit? If you received an invite does this mean you prematched?
No, they said during my interview that the campus tour invites are completely random. So you may receive one before interviewing or after interviewing, and that candidates that haven't received interview invites could be invited to tour campus as well.What is the criteria for being invited to campus for a visit? If you received an invite does this mean you prematched?
Can confirm that they are completely random. I got my campus invite after my acceptance. Per the wording for the campus invite, acceptance and an invite are not related.No, they said during my interview that the campus tour invites are completely random. So you may receive one before interviewing or after interviewing, and that candidates that haven't received interview invites could be invited to tour campus as well.
It would be odd for them to send campus tour invites to candidates that haven't received IIs yet since the tour invite email starts with "Thank you for interviewing with the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston School of Medicine. We understand this..."No, they said during my interview that the campus tour invites are completely random. So you may receive one before interviewing or after interviewing, and that candidates that haven't received interview invites could be invited to tour campus as well.
I bet the tour invites are random among those who have interviewed and have no correlation with acceptances/prematches
tooprettyforband
Full Member
Do they only send prematch offers on Fridays? Interviewed in late August and am starting to spaz a little
D
deleted1106377
I haven't even gotten a II here so imagine how I feel🤣But even if you don't prematch, as the wise @wysdoc and others have said the majority of students do not prematch. Even if you have to wait till the match believe in yourself1Do they only send prematch offers on Fridays? Interviewed in late August and am starting to spaz a little
Last edited by a moderator:
bunnolover13
Full Member
I completed my secondary application on 6/26 and have not heard anything back yet. Does anyone know If they are still sending interview invitations? Or should I assume I'm not getting one? I am an in state applicant with 4.0 GPA and 516 MCAT. I'm starting to get really worried since it's been so long.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're still inviting. Did you also submit the CASPer? They want that too.I completed my secondary application on 6/26 and have not heard anything back yet. Does anyone know If they are still sending interview invitations? Or should I assume I'm not getting one? I am an in state applicant with 4.0 GPA and 516 MCAT. I'm starting to get really worried since it's been so long.
bunnolover13
Full Member
Yes I did that in June. I just thought I would have heard something by now.They're still inviting. Did you also submit the CASPer? They want that too.
Does anyone know if UTMB provides much in the way of merit scholarships? And if so, do they generally wait until after match day to send out offers?
D
deleted771945
Did they give out any pre-II Rs yet?
D
deleted1106377
From my understanding, they don't give out pre-II Rs. It is assumed you're rejected if you do not interview by the Match dateDid they give out any pre-II Rs yet?
I haven’t received II and was complete in July. I emailed admissions and they stated that they will be interviewing until January so we would be rejected if we haven’t heard back by then.From my understanding, they don't give out pre-II Rs. It is assumed you're rejected if you do not interview by the Match date
Well same here, was complete in mid June and silence. I personally think they really use casper scores more than other schools. I however scored in the 25-50%. I would love to attend UTMB, I think its a great school with great history. So correct if no interview come end of Jan then its a big fat RI haven’t received II and was complete in July. I emailed admissions and they stated that they will be interviewing until January so we would be rejected if we haven’t heard back by then.
D
deleted1106377
I got 4th quartile CASPER and no II so I'm sure they don't weight that heavilyWell same here, was complete in mid June and silence. I personally think they really use casper scores more than other schools. I however scored in the 25-50%. I would love to attend UTMB, I think its a great school with great history. So correct if no interview come end of Jan then its a big fat R
D
deleted771945
Honestly starting to think TX schools just shafted me at this point
Yup same here. My GPA and MCAT are right about average and got 4th quartile on casper with no II. So who knows...I got 4th quartile CASPER and no II so I'm sure they don't weight that heavily
I feel ya.Honestly starting to think TX schools just shafted me at this point
SR363
New Member
I am a reapplicant and just completed UTMB's interview today. In the last cycle, I interviewed with UTMB and was waitlisted. Ten days after submitting my secondary in September, I was invited for an interview. The interview went well last year but even better with the MMIs this year (at least 7 out of the 9 were great; the other two were just okay/difficult questions).
Does this timeline indicate that I am already in serious consideration (more so than an average interviewee) if they were quick about inviting me back for an interview? Or does every acceptance parameter/list reset every year (as in, they don't give special consideration to those waitlisted from the previous cycle)? Also how soon can pre-match occur following interview day at this point? Thank you!
Does this timeline indicate that I am already in serious consideration (more so than an average interviewee) if they were quick about inviting me back for an interview? Or does every acceptance parameter/list reset every year (as in, they don't give special consideration to those waitlisted from the previous cycle)? Also how soon can pre-match occur following interview day at this point? Thank you!
D
deleted1106377
I feel you. It’s been hard these past few weeks. Not really sure how much interviews are left but all we can do is wait and hope we did enough.Honestly starting to think TX schools just shafted me at this point
Yeahhhhhhhh I really messed up the whole Casper test and scored 1st quartile so I guess Casper has decided that I am not empathetic?? LOL although if I'm being real... Casper is just a damn typing testWell same here, was complete in mid June and silence. I personally think they really use casper scores more than other schools. I however scored in the 25-50%. I would love to attend UTMB, I think its a great school with great history. So correct if no interview come end of Jan then its a big fat R
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don’t know much but I heard that if they interview you twice that means they like you as an applicant.I am a reapplicant and just completed UTMB's interview today. In the last cycle, I interviewed with UTMB and was waitlisted. Ten days after submitting my secondary in September, I was invited for an interview. The interview went well last year but even better with the MMIs this year (at least 7 out of the 9 were great; the other two were just okay/difficult questions).
Does this timeline indicate that I am already in serious consideration (more so than an average interviewee) if they were quick about inviting me back for an interview? Or does every acceptance parameter/list reset every year (as in, they don't give special consideration to those waitlisted from the previous cycle)? Also how soon can pre-match occur following interview day at this point? Thank you!
Like you, I interviewed with UTMB last year and was waitlisted. This year I got an interview and was accepted.
Bottom feeder on Casper but hey I got it in somewhere. Forget that testYeahhhhhhhh I really messed up the whole Casper test and scored 1st quartile so I guess Casper has decided that I am not empathetic?? LOL although if I'm being real... Casper is just a damn typing test
Did they send out prematch offers this Friday?
Haha I’m sayingggg. Yeah I got into a few schools that require it and I’m just interested in knowing which schools heavily weigh Casper as a selection factor…very confusing tbhBottom feeder on Casper but hey I got it in somewhere. Forget that test
D
deleted771945
Haha I’m sayingggg. Yeah I got into a few schools that require it and I’m just interested in knowing which schools heavily weigh Casper as a selection factor…very confusing tbh
I don't think any schools weigh it heavy.
You're more than likely spot on. I think they're aware that the exam is a S*** show and are simply testing it out for a few years to see if there's any correlation between one's quartile range and their overall character LOLI don't think any schools weigh it heavy.
I'm curious: if you've already prematched, what's the reasoning behind wanting to indicate interest?Are any of you prematch people attending the Virtual Town Halls, etc to indicate interest?
Last edited:
D
deleted731272
Anyone gotten IIs recently?
Right...I'm curious: if you've already prematched, what's the reasoning behind wanting to indicate interest?
Poorly worded.Right...
I’m asking if people who have prematched had previously attended these events.
I prematched here and I did not attend any of those events.Poorly worded.
I’m asking if people who have prematched had previously attended these events.
texaspremed45
Full Member
I prematched and I went to all of them, but I doubt it mattersPoorly worded.
I’m asking if people who have prematched had previously attended these events.
There is no right or wrong way to do this but you have to think about maximizing all your opportunities that are given to you by the school. Dont look at it as this is a waste of my time and does not add to my chances of admission or this will get me into the school for sure. You think you might learn something more that might help you down the line in impressing people that you dont know exist that may contribute to your decision, writing thank you notes that show you have learnt something about the school that you like or even making friends that you can ask questions later if you do get admitted to make that important life altering decision of picking the right school for you.Poorly worded.
I’m asking if people who have prematched had previously attended these events.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
bunnolover13
Full Member
I am in the exact same boat. I have 516 MCAT and 4.0 GPA and have only received 2 IIs. All my secondaries were complete by July 1 and I have lots of shadowing and medical experience as well so I’m not sure what they’re looking for or where I went wrong. I feel like my application just totally got overlooked. I have friends with lower stats and less experience than me who have already prematched 🙁Honestly starting to think TX schools just shafted me at this point
I'm surprised but also not surprised. Two II is still very good! I'm sure more will come your way especially with your stats.I am in the exact same boat. I have 516 MCAT and 4.0 GPA and have only received 2 IIs. All my secondaries were complete by July 1 and I have lots of shadowing and medical experience as well so I’m not sure what they’re looking for or where I went wrong. I feel like my application just totally got overlooked. I have friends with lower stats and less experience than me who have already prematched 🙁
My girlfriend had a 3.9x and a 517. She ended up with 7 ii. 5 of them were December or later. 2 of them she got in October and November.
D
deleted1106377
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I have same MCAT, but worse GPA, and I only have 2 TMDSAS II. But it still stings seeing people with lower stats getting IIs. But I recognize my deficiencies and how that could be contributing to lack of success. This process just feels random at times.I am in the exact same boat. I have 516 MCAT and 4.0 GPA and have only received 2 IIs. All my secondaries were complete by July 1 and I have lots of shadowing and medical experience as well so I’m not sure what they’re looking for or where I went wrong. I feel like my application just totally got overlooked. I have friends with lower stats and less experience than me who have already prematched 🙁
I know it seems like a long long wait for any interviews or news, but the stats from 2020 are that of all med school applicants:
8.5 % get a single interview and a single acceptance
11.5 % get multiple interviews and a single acceptance
22% get multiple interviews and multiple acceptances
leaving about 58% with no acceptances (number of interviews for those 0 or more)
8.5 % get a single interview and a single acceptance
11.5 % get multiple interviews and a single acceptance
22% get multiple interviews and multiple acceptances
leaving about 58% with no acceptances (number of interviews for those 0 or more)
I know there's tons of posts like this on here but would love for anyone's insight to my personal situation. I had 2 II, one at UTMB (9/10) and one at UTMcGovern (10/1). From what I understand, the pre-matches for both of those schools for II that early have already gone out and I haven't received a pre-match. No other IS or OOS II. Should I just start preparing for my next application?